Scoop

RIP. Nollywood Actor Muna Obiekwe Confirmed Dead After Twitter Impostor Causes Confusion

muna-obiekweRIP Muna Obiekwe.

Yesterday reports were circulating that Nollywood actor Muna Obiekwe passed away from renal failure.

However, shortly after, the Twitter handle @MunaObiekwe claimed these reports were rumours. The account holder also retweeted fans’ responses admonishing the public and media agencies for spreading false reports.

Thankfully, fellow Nollywood actors have cleared the air, most notably Nonso Diobi, confirming the actor’s death and calling out the impostor for confusing the Nigerian public.

Original Tweet Debunking Reports as RumoursMuna Obiekwe

The Fake Muna Retweeting Fans Muna Obiekwe Fan Tweets

Nonso Diobi Confirming the Death

Nonso Diobi Confirms Muna Obiekwe's Death 1 Nonso Diobi Confirms Muna Obiekwe's Death 2 Nonso Diobi Confirms Muna Obiekwe's Death 3 Nonso Diobi Confirms Muna Obiekwe's Death 4The Apology from Muna’s fake account
Nonso Diobi Confirms Muna Obiekwe's Death 5

We wish the late actor rests in peace, and hope his family finds solace in this tough time.

1. JENNIFER

January 19, 2015 at 8:19 am

this guy with the fake twitter handle must be a real psycho.. dats all

• Adanma Ukpabi

January 22, 2015 at 9:43 am

I am sad, still dumb since lastnit i read about Muna’s death. I’m just a fan. I’v realized that we all are visitors on earth and must go back 2 our destination @ d appointed time. GOD is aware of this,but can’t question HIM. May God give his family d heart to bear this irrepairable loss. RIP MUNA.

2. zeb

January 19, 2015 at 8:19 am

OMG, this is soooo distabilizing, such a horrible news… i havent stopd thinking of how empty this life is, it gives to us shit not minding who you are, young life cut short just like that. RIP dearest if this is true but i still pray is a lie from the pit of hell

3. Mma Naija

January 19, 2015 at 8:30 am

May his soul rest in peace. Amen

4. Tbaby

January 19, 2015 at 8:30 am

RIP Muna Obiekwe, very sad indeed….May God give fortitude to ur loved ones u left behind to bear ur demise…as for d fake Muna, I truely pity u….#sigh

5. Scared Homosapien

January 19, 2015 at 8:37 am

That awkward moment the person you are impersonating is actually dead and you don’t know. Shame on people!
    R.I.P to the dead.

6. Nahum

January 19, 2015 at 8:39 am

What do people gain from all this deceit? Why would you make up a fake account just to deceive people? Mehn we need to create jobs cause there are obviously too many idle hands out there that have become the devil’s playground.

7. thatikwerrebabe

January 19, 2015 at 8:42 am

I wonder why that idiot decided to play a stupid game with a dead man’s name.

RIP Muna, you left so soon, may God console the family you left behind. Amen

8. rocky

January 19, 2015 at 8:47 am

wow… confusing indeed….

9. Carliforniabawlar

January 19, 2015 at 8:55 am

Nigerians can be insensitive sha! Can you imagine? Chai!
    May Muna rest in peace! Dang! Life is short….kinda.

10. libby

January 19, 2015 at 8:57 am

You must be really really sick in the head to joke with something like this?? What has this world come to! Disgusting!! R.I.P Muna was really clinging onto that bit of hope that this was all a rumour but appears not to be…. sad.

11. aba uptown gal

January 19, 2015 at 8:58 am

I am confuzd which one am I 2 beliv biko nu?

12. MissyKissy

January 19, 2015 at 9:03 am

Omg..my heart skipped a beat when I saw the headline..why him oh Lord..RIP Muna :'(

13. Changing Faces

January 19, 2015 at 9:04 am

This is just too painful… one of the talents in Nollywood. I’m sure as a private person he just couldn’t send out an SOS. I can’t blame him as most of his colleagues flaunt money like they’re well paid, while in reality they’re struggling. RIP Muna, and may God grant your family the strength to bear this horrible loss. I’m just sad

14. Trendysturvs Blog

January 19, 2015 at 9:24 am

Life is short … Rip Muna

trendysturvsblog.com

15. mizzy

January 19, 2015 at 9:32 am

so heartbreaking. RIP Muna

16. keechi

January 19, 2015 at 9:39 am

I went thru a roller coaster of emotions. Sad when I heard, then happy (coz of the stupid fake acct), then back to sadness hearing he was really dead. Some pple have no regard at all, not everything is a joke/prank… #RIPMUNA

17. Dee

January 19, 2015 at 9:54 am

May his soul rest In peace

18. Aderonke #BringBackOurGirls#

January 19, 2015 at 10:21 am

Heard about it this morning and it is really sad. Muna was such a great actor!. There was a time that he was the always in all movies as the lead role….so so sad!
    May God keep his loved ones and comfort them. Our prayers are with his family.

19. KLB

January 19, 2015 at 10:26 am

That Nonso Diobi handle on Instagram is an imposter. The actor Nonso Diobi doesn’t have any social media accounts. Nonsodiobiworld has been scamming people for money on instagram. check it out

• Uk

January 20, 2015 at 6:13 am

So true just found out today after reading uche jombo tweets on the nonso fake account. Some people are really heartless.

20. Pearl

January 19, 2015 at 10:40 am

All the visits to Aso Rock…AGN president are you trying to say you didn’t even hear as a rumour that muna was sick to come to his aid no matter how private he wanted his life to be. You guys in the industry should practice love not hate and neglect

• Beeeee

January 19, 2015 at 11:01 am

I don’t think that is a fair statement. Now you want to blame AGN President for his death??? Especially when just a few months a ago, she assisted a veteran actor with his medical bills? Someone just died and the first place your mind goes to is AGN? No condolence, nothing. SMH

• ny stephy

January 27, 2015 at 3:16 pm

when i saw a post on ur death oh muna could hardly bellieve untill i came to find out details and i said to my self what a handsome creature and wonderful actor oh muna am short of words and have come to the conclusion that indeed all these things are vanity and we will one day leave this earth for we are all passabies. may your humble soul rest in peace my most admirable actor

21. concerned

January 19, 2015 at 11:28 am

This is just so sad……surely he wasnt that old #thegooddieyoung #RIP

22. Reginald

January 19, 2015 at 11:50 am

R.I.P we still remembers that your cool voice

23. Ada Nnewi

January 19, 2015 at 11:55 am

R.I.P Muna….This is very sad…..

24. baby

January 19, 2015 at 12:05 pm

when AGN president heard what steps did she take to gather a few people to help,this is really saddening ,may his soul rest in peace,i hope he had the time to reconcile with his creator,i’m in tears,couldn’t sleep all night.

25. NNENNE

January 19, 2015 at 12:21 pm

The incidence of Kidney disease is very high, in Nollywood going by what we see in the news.
    Is it job related or a coincidence ?
    This calls for a research.
    RIP Muna.

• juju

January 19, 2015 at 12:59 pm

My thoughts exactly. Why? Lifestyle related maybe??

26. becky

January 19, 2015 at 12:27 pm

So sad. May your soul rest in the blossom of our Lord. Condolences to the family

27. Nully

January 19, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Rest in Peace Muna. its really a shock to me, i hope you were born again though. rest in the bossom of the lord.

28. @edDREAMZ

January 19, 2015 at 12:32 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    May his soul RIP….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

29. joy

January 19, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Let us die young but let Us live……….u live on Muna love U

30. Kim

January 19, 2015 at 12:48 pm

R.I.P Muna. Its rather very sad but what I don’t understand is the fact that some of these actors/actresses flaunt wealth like no man business at the same time you hear of some dying because of lack of fund for treatment. I just don’t get it.

• concerned

January 20, 2015 at 11:08 am

Exactly! I’ve been wondering why people he started out in the industry before have $24,000 to waste in Dubai and he suffered just like that. But maybe its their side hustles, IDK. This is so sad. I feel so sorry for his young family

31. JULIE

January 19, 2015 at 1:19 pm

I cant still believe it , I love watching Muna s movies he is cool and Intelligent. OMG RIP Muna

32. Anonymous

January 19, 2015 at 1:55 pm

What a devastating loss!!what a shock! My goodness!why this young talented brilliant actor why?

33. Bennie Errick

January 19, 2015 at 3:01 pm

RIP Muna. So sad
    As for the imposter I hand you over to God! Really caused a stir with your fake news, remember you too will die one day. Really sad

34. Alia Rachel

January 19, 2015 at 3:54 pm

OMG i cant beliv muna is death, may ur gentle soul RIP . its so sad , a young man full of life and strength, hummmmmmm,

35. Vikkie

January 19, 2015 at 4:44 pm

So so sad!!! RIP Muna

36. nma

January 19, 2015 at 5:29 pm

RIP Muna….. pls was he married?

• KAI

January 20, 2015 at 11:34 am

Yep. He was such a private guy and he stayed out of the limelight unless he had a movie out. That’s why many people didn’t even known when he got married and when he got sick. I wish his family the very best :/

37. nema

January 19, 2015 at 7:37 pm

He wasn’t my best..bt he was human..a handsome human with a beautiful heart…RIP muna

38. nene

January 19, 2015 at 8:23 pm

one of the saddest news of my life. death!!! chai

39. didimhillz

January 20, 2015 at 1:48 am

ripmuna# we dearly miss you.

40. pat

January 20, 2015 at 2:00 am

Oh no, very sad. I always look forward to watch his movies. RIP Muna 🙁

41. www.duchi.ca/international

January 20, 2015 at 2:38 am

I find the news of his death very painful! May his soul rest in peace.

42. Taha

January 20, 2015 at 4:17 am

RIP Muna Obiekwe; Sad note

43. Uk

January 20, 2015 at 6:10 am

It was really sad such a gifted actor.RIP muna. BN this nonso diobi’s Twitter acct and the fake muna Twitter is run by the same person he really was messing with people’s hearts I just saw uche jombo tweets on how she found out she’s was following both fake and real nonso without knowing so if he can fool someone that had to talk to nonso in person before finding out the truth imagine the innocent fans he has been scamming for years. This post is giving this imposter fame

44. KAI

January 20, 2015 at 11:33 am

Dear Muna,

I know you cannot see this but I know the universe will pass my message on to you. Rest in Peace dearie. Talented, kind, cool, brilliant and remarkable are just some of the words that describes the kind of person you are. Go in peace and please rest in the bosom of our Lord. Amen.

NOTE
    The people reporting that he’s broke should please show us his bank account to prove their claims… Wait, I bet they dont have it! Do they know how long he battled this ailment? Or how much he spent on treatments prior to his passing? The man just died untimely yet many news outlets are churning out junk instead of getting verified story and facts. Why can’t they report his departure professionally and save the frivolities for a later date? Mtchewww. And please, all these talk about him being broke is cringe worthy. First of all, being well-to-do and being rich or wealthy is not the same. Secondly, nobody knows his financial status, so why report half baked or unverified stories? And please, what does his financial status have to do with this? Report his death professionally first!

Nigeria’s healthcare system is MEDIOCRE & ridiculously EXPENSIVE (like everything else), so if you don’t have Kalu, Dangote, etc money, you won’t get the best care possible. In addition to that, hospitals practically bill a lot of patients to death, so it’s time for us as a nation to do something about advancing ourselves academically, economically and in every other aspect. People practically die from everything in our country even after spending their life savings and money they went throught great lengths to obtain. *sigh*

• Nkoyo

January 20, 2015 at 11:30 pm

Abeg chop knuckle for dishing out the most sensible comment regarding his death. I tire for our people and all these he was broke, his colleagues no help him and what not as if dey sabi the full gist. Your comment about hospitals billing people to death resonates with me cuz I sabi few classmates who passed years ago because of small change… even as small as N5,000. Even the ones way get some kind of money no get better treatment either. The family of one of my classmates spent well over 10 million naira on his treatment but the dude died because the hospital no do the transfusion in a timely and professional manner. Their N10million was gone and so was their precious child even after forking over that hefty amount. Imagine paying N300K out of pocket PER treatment! Abeg who get that kind of money? Let alone spending that much over and over again and to make matters worse, you still don’t get adequate results in the end. Chai, his death don pain me finish. I hope his family will get through this difficult time. Adieu Muna… you were indeed a fine gentleman! Make una remember his family when you are reporting his deaths so una no go worse their sorrow.

45. melvin jumbo

January 20, 2015 at 12:57 pm

OMG! Rest in peace Muna, its a great to we all nollywood and upcoming up stars. I loved ur moviessss, u will b misdRIP MUNA#

46. Nena

January 20, 2015 at 4:52 pm

May his gentle soul RIP. This is such a heartbreaking news.

47. amoabeng

January 20, 2015 at 10:22 pm

um very sad right now words cant explain may your soul rest in perfect peace

48. Nkoyo

January 20, 2015 at 11:32 pm

*reporting his death*

49. Endowed

January 21, 2015 at 1:01 am

Twitter it’s time you verify all our celebs too so we know who’s fake, Can you believe the nerve the fraudster had? What a shame? Once again RIP Muna, one of the greats gone too soon, you’ll be greatly missed.

50. nawah

January 21, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Choi,rip,d guy dt I usd to scope z naw dead……d owner of dt fake acct z a GOAT,he z still talking,nawah oooo..

51. Boateng

January 21, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Ooh my God” I can’t believe dis… What a world is very sad man…. Life is too short!!!

52. Frendo mulex

January 21, 2015 at 2:26 pm

M.H.S.R.I.P

• Chill

January 22, 2015 at 9:40 am

What is so difficult with writing May His Soul Rest In Peace? Naija people, this abbreviation of pretty much everything is getting out of control! On birthdays, HBD, HBD LLNP will scatter someone’s page (super annoying) and when someone dies, the same abbreviated saga continues, kilode? Please be reasonable!

53. kay

January 23, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Am a zambian and fan of Nollyword movies and I’ve just heard the sad heartbreaking news especially that i was talking about Muna a few days ago am so saddened….a great loss of a talented actor, my heart felt condolences to the family and Nigeria at large may the Almighty God give you comfort during this hard time..MHSRIP.

54. elizabeth

January 24, 2015 at 5:11 pm

May his soul rest in perfect peace. he was a good actor l loved watching his movies now that he’s no more it will be hard for me to watch

55. Sipho Mdluli

January 24, 2015 at 9:36 pm

I was very shocked to hear about Muna Obiekwes death may his soul rest in peace he will forever be missed. I enjoyed watching his movies may his family be strong in the name of God the Almighty. RIP Bro.

56. eze celestine

January 25, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Heaven is real & heal rl so U shoud determine where U ar going to here on earth RIP big broda Muna

57. NEHBIH JENIVA

January 25, 2015 at 2:14 pm

when muna lived, he lived for the lord. now he has died for the one who created him.rip muna

58. Adaoma

January 26, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Muna dead, what happen? he was a talented actor and l loved watching his movies. I will really miss him. Don’t even know he was from our neigboubouring village. May his gentle soul rest in peace, Amen.

59. AmAisBlessed

January 26, 2015 at 4:06 pm

We ar indeed nothing but a pencil n d hand of our creator!such a huge loss of a promising young man dat was full of life!scammers remember dat afta dora nd her family had spent a biiiiiiiig futune,she still couldn’t make it nd same had countlessly happened n recent times to dignitries young nd old,kwn nd unkwn even n d western world!in munas case God kws d best,not dat money was not spent on him! I urge every1 here to giv his or her lif to christ!d accepted time is now so dat if we couldn’t stay alive till rapture,we can stil be wit God nd giv good accts of ourlives,To munas family,frnds,nollywood.etc,I pray dat God n his infinite love nd mercy will comfort u all nd grant his soul eternal rest n his bossom.Amen

60. Abdul kagawa hosni mohammed

January 26, 2015 at 6:15 pm

R.i.p muna, may Allah Azawaja grant u Aljanah. Amin

61. joy

January 27, 2015 at 9:33 am

O MUNA TODAY I AM HEARTBROKEN AT THE NEWS OF YOUR SUDDEN PARTING, AND WHEN THE NEWS BROKE, ALL I COULD SAY WAS WHY?
    I KNOW WE SHOULD NOT QUESTION GOD, AND I AM NOT, BUT I DO QUESTION MYSELF WHY DID I NOT KEEP IN TOUCH LIKE I HAD PROMISED TO DO?
    MAYBE IF I HAD KEPT IN TOUCH MORE OFTEN I WOULD HAVE FELT AND HEARD YOUR SILENT CRY FOR PAIN, THAT I SENSED LIED BENEATH THOSE AMAZING EYES THAT READ INTO SO MANY SOULS, WHILE KEEPING YOUR OWN SHIELDED FROM THE WORLD. THAT SMILE AND EYES THAT HELD SO MANY SECRETS I WILL MISS SO DEEPLY. BRO REMEMBER WHEN WE FIRST CHATTED AND I WAS SO BLOWN AWAY BY YOUR TALENT AFTER WATCHING YOU IN THE MOVIE “HE LIVES IN ME” IN DECEMBER 2005? WE LAUGHED THEN AND THAT WAS THE BEGINNING OF A BEAUTIFUL FRIENDSHIP. AND AS I WATCH THE MOVIE NOW, WAS THERE A MESSAGE EVEN WAY BACK THEN I WONDER?
    YOU SIMPLY HAD NO IDEA WHAT AN INCREDIBLE TALENT YOU POSSESSED AND HOW YOU CAME ACROSS ON SCREEN. IT WAS THAT QUALITY THAT I FELL TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH, AND YOU WERE SO INCREDIBLY SUPPORTIVE ALBEIT A BIT SHY. WHY DID I THINK WE WOULD HAVE THE TIME TO PLAY “CATCH-UP”, WHY DID I NOT SENSE AS BEFORE THE PAIN YOU WERE IN, I USUALLY COULD AND FOR THAT MUNA I AM SO DEEPLY SORRY. YOU ELUDED THAT THERE WAS CHALLENGES AND I LISTENED AND BELIEVED THAT YOU WERE GOING TO WIN THIS BATTLE, YOU MY FRIEND HAD THE ABILITY TO RISE ABOVE EVERY OBSTACLE YOU ENCOUNTERED, AND NEVER COMPLAINED.
    MY HEART-FELT CONDOLENCES TO YOUR BEAUTIFUL AND LOVING WIFE AND CHILDREN, YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES AND TO THE NOLLYWOOD INDUSTRY, STAY STRONG, MUNA CARED DEEPLY ABOUT ALL OF YOU, AND REMEMBER THE MAN, THE AMAZING AND TALENTED ARTISTE.
    YOU WALKED THROUGH LIFE, LOVING OTHERS, BUT RARELY ALLOWING OTHERS TO SEE THE REAL YOU. AND ABOVE ALL BRO, I AM HUMBLED AND DEEPLY GRATEFUL FOR SHARING ME MUNA. REST WITH THE LORD MUNA OBIEKWE

62. chinedu godwin