News

Study Shows That Men Who Take a Lot of Selfies May Have Elements of Narcissism and Psychopathy

Actor Ashton Kutcher takes a selfie

Actor Ashton Kutcher takes a selfie

Guys, listen up!

According to a research carried out by Ohio State University, men that take a whole lot of selfies probably have elements of narcissism and psychopathy.

The university apparently sampled 800 men from age 18 to 40 who completed an online survey asking about their photo posting behavior on social media. The participants also completed standard questionnaires for anti-social behaviors and for self-objectification.

The study showed that men who posted more online photos of themselves than others scored higher on measures of narcissism and psychopathy.

In addition, men who were more likely to edit their selfies before posting scored higher in narcissism and self-objectification, which measures how much they prioritize their appearance.

What do you think?

Read up more about the study here.

1. ChincoBee

January 10, 2015 at 6:45 am

Lol this is serious.had to go look up for the word!!!!!

2. moyo

January 10, 2015 at 9:02 am

This is so true!! My brother’s obsession with the “perfect” selfie is so crazy, I’m disgusted by it most times.

3. Fols

January 10, 2015 at 9:34 am

Not just men oh, women too! The selfie craze is making many of us feel that we are participating in a never-ending photoshoot; every moment is an Instagram moment and we’re fast becoming overly self-conscious and simply put, vain! I’m just sayin’…

• Leah

January 10, 2015 at 5:33 pm

Thank you! You stole my comment. Not just men, women as well.

4. EllesarisEllendil

January 10, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Meh, I’m a narcissist yet I don’t take selfies for the simple reason that I am too important to be mainstream. Same reason why don’t listen to Pop or Rap and play mostly indie games. But on the funnier side, at-least we now all know Iyanya is psychopath, Yvonne dodged a bullet.

• bruno

January 10, 2015 at 4:51 pm

thank you for advertising ur self, but you are still a basic. bye felicia

5. blah blah

January 10, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Really? We needed a study to state the obvious? I cannot date a man who takes a lot of selfies. More so, one who puts them up on social media.

• nene

January 10, 2015 at 10:01 pm

gbam

6. nwa nna

January 10, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Have never understood people’s infatuation with selfies and their need to take a million pictures of one’s self and constantly post it on social media.
    Guess it can be blamed on Instagram for bringing out the narcissist in us 🙂

7. 4real

January 10, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Narcissism definitely a big yes. Same goes for women in a lower degree. But its basically vain though.

8. Fountain of Paper

January 10, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Joro and Dokun Olumofin….

• Anon

January 10, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Isn’t one of them a psychologist? There you have it!

9. ATL's finest

January 10, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Oh how I wish my brother could read this . He’s a dude but he’s more addicted to pix like he’s a professional photographer.
    Narcissism Is something I learned in my Psychology class. No dude will admit he’s it but they work my nerves. Wit #Selfie#

10. nwa nna

January 10, 2015 at 5:56 pm

You forgot Flavor!

11. st cathy

January 10, 2015 at 7:04 pm

I have suspected this, especially the narcissism part. It’s totally disgusting to see a guy take a lot of selfies. Even for a girl, it’s annoying when it’s done excessively.

12. Kole

January 10, 2015 at 8:55 pm

The exact reason I dumped my ex. Excessive selfies and too much time spent getting ready in the morning. This guy would check himself out in every mirror at the mall

13. Shannie

January 11, 2015 at 1:39 am

Newsflash!!! We are in the generation of narcissism. People’s obsession with social media leads to an illusion of the person they can create of who they are in the eyes of other people.

14. Bayonet

January 11, 2015 at 11:02 am

I couldn’t agree more. These sets of dudes tend to awash your FBwall with their photo sessions. I quickly unfriend them.

15. see me see trouble

January 11, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I’m so happy that this problem has been rectified. Guys who tend to admire themselves too much never wants to go the extra mile to win a woman’s love cos he knows the next lady will be interested in him. A very pretty girl should marry a beast, Yes! He doesn’t have to be too handsome.