News

U.S-based Liberian Pastor’s Wife Fined for Praying too Loudly Outdoors

BellaNaija.com

pastor's+wife2

Martha Nagbe

The wife of a Liberian pastor who is based in the U.S, has been fined for praying too loudly outdoors.

According to Valley News, the woman named Martha Nagbe has been fined $150 for “unecessary noise”  and appeared in court on two occasions regarding over the matter.

Despite the fines and court appearances, Martha, who lives in North Dakota with her husband, insists that she will never give up sharing her faith.

“I can’t stop…I’m trusting God…In the United States it’s one nation under God,” she said.

Police authorities have advised her stop praying loudly downtown and in area neighborhoods.

“I mean, we all need prayers and great she’s out there praying for all of us, but it’s just the volume of her voice,” said Police Chief Jeanette Persons.

Police further emphasized that the issue is not about race, religion, or freedom of speech.

Neighbours have repeatedly complained about the issue, and some say she has woken them up from their sleep on numerous occasions, as she would stand outside their houses shouting prayers.

However, Martha’s husband, Pastor Juwle, believes his wife is being harassed.

“For them to antagonize her, to make her look like a bad person, sometimes makes me angry. Somebody should give her the respect that she deserves,” he said.

Martha insists that she will keep on praying loudly.

1. Steve

February 25, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Welcome to America Martha… Not everyone believes in religion and your right to pray cannot truancate other people’s right to have some decorum.

2. banjo

February 25, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Madam, that’s not the teaching of our saviour. Don’t go extreme.

3. HausaGirlinTexas

February 25, 2015 at 4:28 pm

According to CNN, it was reported, she would stand outside the neighborhood, praying very loudly, and disturbing everyone. In U.S, practicing your religion in such manner, is not condoned. The same way, they don’t allow preaching in public transports, train, or airlines. However, in African countries like Nigeria, passing out religious tracts, or calling of Adhan over loud speakers (for Muslims) or praying and preaching loudly is never a big deal.

4. Nahum

February 25, 2015 at 4:29 pm

SHE IS NOT BEING HARASSED, SHE IS THE HARASSER!!!! What is with Africans and screaming their prayers to God? Is God deaf? Did God instruct you to give everyone a bloody headache while praising Him? No offense intended o, but we Africans need to cut this crap out. I am very prayerful and I believe in the power of prayer, but I also believe that only a hypocrite will stand in the market square and raise their voice in prayer. God can not and will not be mocked!!

• nawah

February 26, 2015 at 11:05 am

Dnt take it personal now

5. @edDREAMZ

February 25, 2015 at 4:39 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    And a blog said she is a Nigerian, thank God is all a lie though…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

6. Dandelion

February 25, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Serves her right. I am a Christian and I believe the gospel should be shared but it does not justify being inconsiderate of others. I find it extremely annoying that anyone in the name of preaching would wake up in the middle of night, screaming at the top of his/her voice in the name of prayer.
    I wish people over here in naija could also be fined.

• ada nnewi

February 25, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Starting from the five churches around my house…out of 6 churches only one is soundproof so it’s hard getting any sleep on vigil fridays!!!

7. adelegirl

February 25, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Someone needs to tell madam pastor’s wife that God is not deaf! You don’t need to shout for him to hear you. In fact, Isaiah 59:1 says very clearly that “The Lord’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear” so please pastor’s wife no need to holler at God. Have some respect!

8. Eniola/ Ms Catwalq

February 25, 2015 at 4:56 pm

We need to enact the same laws here.
    So many people being disrepectful and invasive with the way they practice their religion.
    It’s not what you shout that shows you have a relationship with God, it’s what you do. And if what you do has an adverse effect on the people around you, you are not doing what you should.

9. Scared homosapien

February 25, 2015 at 4:58 pm

I need to report my neighbors too.

10. ejogene

February 25, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Thank God for civilize society! In Nigeria when you complain that you neigbours are disturbing with their loud midnight prayers, they will say you be witch! Black man and him wahala

• Eliot

February 25, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Lol….u are soo right.

11. Kunmi

February 25, 2015 at 5:23 pm

And it’s people like these that misrepresent their faith -___- BN, abeg cite Daily Mail’s article about writing wills. People really need to read it, especially in Nigeria where death is a taboo subject.

12. Nelly

February 25, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Christians need to combine their zeal with wisdom…some xtians are quite intolerant, and think because it is God they are praying to they are justified to do whatever they want. What msg are we sending to non xtians…is this how to win ppl to Christ? I had this same problem with my husband’s friends who came to my house for a prayer meeting and 10 grown men with their baritone voices in a house with neighbors in such close proximity praying in their loudest voices for almost 3 hours was amazing…I was upstairs and felt the roof and house literally vibrating. I called my husband and told him they had to quiet it down, but the men refused, and the next thing our dear neighbor who was such a nice man…came storming by screaming at the top of his house for the noise to quieten…we were lucky no one called the Los Angeles Police on us…Christians please be wise God is not an author of confusion. It’s okay to scream in a church building but not in a private residence with neighbors close by…and what if there was a little baby and kids trying to sleep…

I remember a pastor who said he used to judge his wife because she prayed so quietly and God had to chastise him and told him his wife’s prayers were a sweet smelling sacrifice from her heart going straight to him in Heaven.

• Mabel

February 26, 2015 at 2:55 am

Don’t I know this! I have had to tell my mother plainly that she should not make her faith a burden to others. She wants to get up well before you are out of bed on big singing and prayers..wtf. Didn’t Christ say to crawl in your closet and pray quietly, and God who see in quiet will reward in open? I don’t want anybody disturbing my peace, don’t care who it is. God lives in you so who the hell you screaming to outside, the Kingdom of God is within..crazy ass Christians I tell ya.

13. viv

February 25, 2015 at 5:35 pm

jesus said when you want to pray go into the comfort of your room close the door and pray

14. pissedoff

February 25, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Very annoying. They have to shout and shout , everyone must notice them . If you complain then you are not a good Christian hence they will even pray louder and indirectly pray for you to see the light. Really puts me off. Even all these people that would come to visit just visiting and then prayer will start like wtf, but then be the first to gossip about sister loveth who was late to prayer meeting and wearing pants. Mscheeeeeeew

• chugirl

February 26, 2015 at 1:15 pm

“but then be the first to gossip about sister loveth who was late to prayer meeting and wearing pants.”………TRUE THAT!!! dats d hypocrisy right there……

15. BlueEyed

February 25, 2015 at 5:52 pm

A lot of Africans abroad with their African mentality need to be arrested for the invasive and borderline disturbing ways they carry about this religion of a thing.

16. bruno

February 25, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Martha insists that she will keep on praying
    loudly.

pls deport her quickly. what nonsense.

u christains should learn to keep your religion to ur selves and in the comfort of your own home or church or whatever. stop shoving it in people’s faces, shouting like mad people in public disturbing the peace.
    not everyone is interested in your cult. stop shouting your fairy tales into someone’s ear. if u enter bus in naija u people will not allow someone to hear word. preaching 24/7 inside hold up.

the only thing they preach about always is end times and fornication and witchcraft.

• Blessmyheart

February 26, 2015 at 5:52 pm

No dearie, Christianity isn’t a cult and the focus of the teachings are on God’s marvelous love in sending His only Son, Jesus Christ to live and die for our sins. Being a Christian means being Christ-like. There are many who miss it but God is ever true and faithful. Our failings as humans do not in any way translate to God’s failings. The problem is that most people don’t read their Bibles. Case in point, according to the teachings of Jesus, it is hypocritical to pray in a loud voice, disturbing everyone around you. If every Christian studied their Bibles under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and practiced the teachings by the grace of God, just a few Christians will impact the whole world mightily. But then, the devil is also doing his job but God is in control.

17. Sally

February 25, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Matthew 6:5-8
    5 And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him

18. maria

February 25, 2015 at 7:09 pm

it is noise pollution. if I want to be preached to or need to pray madam go to the church. lots of people work at night shift and need to sleep in the morning and during the day.

19. Drknite

February 25, 2015 at 8:29 pm

In my Liberian accent “Liberia, come get this foolish lady. Please! I beg you oh!”

20. Eliot

February 25, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Lol,,,,u are so right.

21. Iris

February 25, 2015 at 9:04 pm

They should do the same thing in Nigeria. Nonsense. If their Muslim neighbor (or someone of another faith) was praying loudly at night would the woman and her husband think it was okay?

22. AsMyself

February 25, 2015 at 9:28 pm

The woman on my street must be this woman’s relation! 4:30am when someone is in gear 3 of sweet sleep, next thing she will stand right in the middle of the street with her megaphone: “all you rich men doing blood money, all of you that don’t want to give your lives to God, all of you women wearing trouser and painting your face and nails, judgement day is coming. Bla bla bla.” Then she will switch to igbo and preach some more. And there will be no light oh. She will sing choruses ooooh! She will pray ooooh! After the first experience, once she starts, my husband will jejely go downstairs and start the gen. Only in this country called Nigeria can life be this hectic, maka Chineke.

23. meg

February 25, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Hahahahahahaha

24. marculey

February 25, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Won’t stop preaching the word huh? Pls arrest her nd send her to jail 4 30yrs I bet she’ll die there of throat ache after praying nd preaching the word to the walls. Rubbish like she fears God’ Hypocrite long hisssssssssssssssss mtchewww

25. faith

February 25, 2015 at 11:05 pm

Hahahahaha #holds chair.. I wish they would do same in Nigeria at least pay fine for defaulters.
    You see this woman’s face? She looks unrepentant oo. She must be thinking that the enemy is fighting her and she must regroup and shout louder next time..
    It’s normal in Africa esp nigerian homes and churches to shout because by shouting you scare the demons and fight your battles. Don’t forget the kingdom of God suffereth violence and the violent taketh it by force( I’m like fight the violence at your home)
    Let me share a story.. I had insomnia one night.. sleep no gree waka come. My mind did America wonder, when it finally settled it was past 4am. Around 5am when my lids were about closing.. that’s how this woman’s voice scared the sweet sleep out of me. With a dry, throaty and croak voice she started singing worship songs for 20 mins, anything called sleep flew in thousand ways from my eyes, I was tearful. When she preached, she said, ‘gif ur lyf to jesos, jesos is coming tomorro oh, stop partying(abi I dey do nightclub for house), stop smoking(5am?), stop sleeping around, stop it for the kingdom of God is at hand’ she repeated this like 10times..
    Why am I not surprised @ this woman?

26. frank

February 26, 2015 at 12:36 am

She’s lucky she didn’t get shot for preaching to loud. Cos for real someone should have busted a cap in her ignorant a$$. This ain’t no Lagos, Nigeria where you disturb the peace and serenity of a neighborhood just cos you wanna pray. God ain’t deaf, you don’t have to shout to the high heavens to be heard. She’s lucky she didn’t get shot at.

27. JULIE

February 26, 2015 at 8:55 am

Is common everywhere something av to b done to all this lousy churches, my secretary pls take note.

28. chy

February 26, 2015 at 9:15 am

i don laff tire.

29. Alert!

February 26, 2015 at 9:45 am

In Nigeria you complain and some hypocrites who don’t even practice what they pray will call you the devil! Stiffer laws needs to be put in place regarding this. We all pray, and you definitely don’t have to deafen everyone because you are praying. is your god deaf?!

30. Assis

September 14, 2016 at 11:49 pm

many of you, get the difference between Christian and Religious, by the way I understand it, She’s not a religious she’s a Christian, (Ephesians 6:10-12) we are not fighting against flesh and blood, but again the spiritual realms, the dark forces, so if you think you gonna fight the demons with you silence prayer that hit zincs and come back you are wrong. you need to be a warrior, a soldier, an intercessor, so many of you talk rubbish coz you don’t know the work of the Holy Spirit, and also you can’t shout coz you your tongues are as heavy as iron. Repeeeeenttttttttt!