Features

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: Oya Spend This Money!

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????Imagine my surprise when I found the word ‘Haggling’. It didn’t sound as horrific as I had come to know the act as. The verb ‘Haggle’-‘To argue persistently over the cost of something’. Now, you have to understand that in the world where I was coming from, that act of arguing persistently over the cost of something was not as nice sounding as the word makes it seem. My mother is the Chairman of Pricing Association of Nigeria(Can’t tell me nothing! The woman can win at Haggling Olympics!) Growing up, the words “Come let’s go to Idumota” filled me with utmost dread, and I’ll tell you why. First of all, my mother didn’t believe in retail shopping. According to her, her household was way too big to buy things in units, so it was better to buy in bulk, and Idumota market was the place to go. We would park the car in Marina and then start a 3 mile walk into the heart of the market. Then, when we get to the place where they sell provisions and I’d expect my mother to bring out her list and start buying. It won’t happen. At our first stop, we will first check if they have Lux, Sunlight and Close Up; Never Ending Loyalty to Lever Brothers, then we will find the prices – so let’s say 500, 400 and 450 respectively. But, we won’t buy there oh! We will now continue the walk further into the market in search of a cheaper store. After another half a mile, she will then stop at another shop to make the same enquiries. This time, the prices will be 500, 350 and 450. At this point she will then begin this business of pricing.
My mother: “Shey ko gba 220 fun pali Lux yen ni?” {Are you sure you can’t sell the carton of Lux for 220?”} (Please note that the marked price was 500)
Trader: “Ah, ko gba. T’o ba gba mo ma ta fun yin. 500 ni jale” {No, I can’t sell at that price. If I could, I’d sell to you. The best I can do is 500}

This back and forth will continue for another 10 minutes, if I’m lucky. On bad days, my mother will find a nice bench in the stall and continue hoping for a miracle. Sometimes the trader just gets angry and ignores us for more serious customers; other times, Mother’s tenacity will frustrate the trader into shaving 50Naira off. Anything to get us out of her stall. And those women who bow to the pressure are the reason why she strongly believes that you can, with frustrating haggling tactics, get an extra 50 Naira to spend on other things.

Atoke CheeriosI HATE haggling… with a passion. It is synonymous with heat, sweat and most importantly, it is the greatest time waster of ALL time. I was told that when I start earning my own money, I’d appreciate the need to get the best price possible, given a limited resource bank. When I started earning money my feelings about standing about waiting for 500Naira to become 250 just because I could talk and talk  still didn’t become a favourite pastime.

While I understand the sentiment of being persistent and hoping that someone will change their mind,  I also have learned to compute my time in money. Why am I spending 45 minutes trying to get you to give me a 20Naira discount when I can spend that time earning 400Naira?

I was in the car with someone who wanted to use a GTB cash machine because of the interbank charge. We drove from Lekki, past ALL the machines in Victoria Island, to find a working machine on Awolowo road. We got to the Awolowo road machine and guess what? It was broken. I mentioned that we had spent more than 100Naira in fuel just to reach a machine that won’t charge us 100Naira. My friend argued that sometimes it was a call you had to make especially when you wanted to withdraw 1000 and knowing that the charges would set you back to 900. In situations like that you make the most economic decision. “Small small money becomes an ocean in the long run. Fine margins matter when your paper isn’t that long.”

It is the same principle that works with people who would rather go to the Tesco a mile away to buy a bagel than buy from the Waitrose a few feet from their door. It’s about stretching that one £1 for as long as it can go. Besides, if you can buy a bottle of juice, a bagel and a small box of mint, why not just walk to that place that is one mile away. It’s all part of FitFam. But there’s a Yoruba adage that loosely translates to “Leg is faster than car, it will tell on your body”. So essentially, what you’re saving on doing the FootRun, you’re paying back in the Aboniki costs for massaging your calf muscles.

Being able to haggle is a skill that requires patience, and a certain measure of financial prudence. However, is there a place where one draws the line at haggling? For instance, if you’re in charge of buying supplies for the office, do you whip out your haggling skills and start pricing Rose tissue?

Then there’s the special group of people called Couponers! I used to be a faithful Couponer till I realised I was always forgetting the coupon at home on the day I visited the particular shop. Frustration made me stop keeping them. Now, I just tear them and toss in the trash. Ain’t Nobody Gat Time For That!

Well, like everything in life there has to be a balance. One has to know what’s important and what’s not… wait, am I about to start pontificating?
Goodness gracious! I’ll stop now.

Are you team ‘Money is for spending?’ or ‘Team, squeeze that last 35cents off?’ Please share some of your most interesting bargain hunting and extreme pound stretching measures.

Peace, love & celery sticks
Toodles!

Photo CreditPoco_bw | Dreamstime.com

1. Ufuoma

March 2, 2015 at 11:33 am

Team money is for spending! I don’t do a whole lot of shopping for clothes and stuff anymore, so instead I divert my money to buying good quality food and food stuff.You can’t take it to heaven with you anyways might as well spend it

2. Theisokogirl

March 2, 2015 at 11:34 am

team #money is for spending

3. AA

March 2, 2015 at 11:44 am

All i’m saying is “i hate haggling, bargaining, negotiating *insert more synonyms*”. I don’t have the emotional strength nor the patience. and that’s all i’m saying about that before i get worked up

4. vibe

March 2, 2015 at 11:53 am

Honestly, our mothers are bred differently. My mum also had to buy in large quantities and our typical shop day commenced at 6am, because we had to get to that liverpool underbridge market 1st or otta before heading to Idumota, then sometimes, to mushin.
    Haggling is a skill you either born with or not. Her style was different from yours, she doesn’t sit, she will pretend to walk away and be like ‘let’s see if they will call us back’. After some minutes of trekking, she goes ‘this woman is serious o, it’s as if we will go for that one’, then we trek back. It’s not like walking down these markets is exactly a fun activity because they are overly crowded.
    Another method, is bullying. The fish mallam at Otta always got the most of it and the guy will still dash me (or anyone that accompanies her) fish. I always wondered if she was spitting jazz because the final deal sometimes left me dazed.
    Oh well, but there are times I wish I had the skills because it can pain when a friend gets a better deal.

5. ada

March 2, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Ha! Sometimes you just have to “price” the market oh because the market people inflate the prices like they expect you to beat it down. I once went to get fabric for curtains and the guy gave his price for say 250 naira per yard and I beat it to 150. He said the best he could do was N180. I had agreed but first wanted to check out more colour options. I saw the exact one I had priced and the guy said N250 and I’m like this thing someone said I should take for N150 and I’m looking for who would sell N100. Dude said to bring my money. I couldn’t believe it. Cos for my mind I don price the first guy.

6. Neo

March 2, 2015 at 12:11 pm

My mother and yours must have trained under the same sensei. I guess in trying not to be my mother and veered in the direction of my father who made money for spending. But sometimes haggling is innate to the woman, once my brother and I wanted to get a cab from Opebi to Adeniyi Jones, he asked me how much i thought it would cost, I said “N250” The first cab we flagged down asked for N250 and i proceeded to price it down to N150 (make e nor be like say the money heavy for my pocket na) If you see how my brother opened the door and pushed me inside the cab “Women! Una must price sha. I think there’s a bit of it in our DNA.

7. ACE

March 2, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Ain’t nobody gat time for that! Team spend that money.

8. Moyo

March 2, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Dear Atoke, you brought back memories of my childhood, those Balogun and Oke Arin market trailing after my mum in the sun, I ended up developing a phobia for markets, I will rather send someone to buy things for me in Oke Arin or Balogun. I am Team money is for spending for life. Call me lazy I don’t care.

9. Taiwo

March 2, 2015 at 12:24 pm

I haggle o!! it is in my blood (I’m Ijebu ) My most memorable haggling experience was when my son clocked 3 and i decided to take about 20 kids to the Cinemas to watch a cartoon. I haggled of course ( trust me) My sis in law was Shocked!! as in shell shocked!!! That one could haggle at the cinemas but my point was buy 18 tickets, get 2 free ( the 2 free tickets were for kids under age 2, who couldn’t really enjoy the movie by the way, before all of una begin curse me)

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 2, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Why shall we curse you? Nne, iz ya money biko. Haggle am well and especially with those cinemas that practically extort money for tickets, snacks and drinks. In fact, I hope you got some free chops thrown in as well.

10. Mz Socially Awkward...

March 2, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Toksy, right now in my work environment, we’re squarely in the middle of this serious business of haggling, oh. Letters keep arriving from clients to cut our rates and in turn, we need to push our own suppliers to do the same thing with their rates, kwanu. Na pricing wey all man dey price now to sell and buy services *exasperated side eye* The shareholder is king,

Interestingly, I was at a jewellery shop over the weekend and found out by accident that they were open to price negotiations. Went in to inquire about something because a friend of mine told me that her company gets staff discounts there but the sales person said they don’t give a corporate discount to that organization any more; however, she was open to dropping the price by x percent. Light bulb moment right there – ehnn?? So you mean such a posh enterprise is open to “pricing”? I’m the queen bee of discount hunters so that nugget of information has been stored down for future use.

If I could amalgamate your two camps, my own version would be “Money is for spending on the expanded list of items that I can buy after squeezing 35p (preferrably £3.50p, though… or even better, £35!) out of each of them”. I no dey use my money play, sisteh,

Oh, and team “Voucher Cloud”, “Groupon”, “Living Social” and “Itison”, all the way home! Dinner at that fancy restaurant now giving away vouchers via Itison for about 52% off the original price for two people eating? City break on Groupon for two nights away at a 3 star restaurant and return flights for 2 (the annoying thing about those ones, sha, is they tend to only fly from places like Stansted or Gatwick)? A deal on Voucher Cloud for 20% off a shop or eatery you frequent? Sign me up, baby!! At least those ones make more sense than those silly High Street stores that’ll be telling you to spend over £100 to get a 15% voucher for money off your next purchase (and them go still tell you how much you go need to spend before getting the “money off”, oh) … or buy two Estee Lauder products (one to be skincare… see the criminals) to get a free make up case with all your “must-have” beauty samples. Or even worse, sign up for a store card (arggghhh!!! Flee from the devil of store credit, just flee!!!!!) to get a discount for what you’re buying and receive a reward coupon in the mail. I feel like laughing in their faces when they try and sell these little scams of theirs.

• Berry Dakara

March 2, 2015 at 12:58 pm

I used to be Team Dealdey here, but after going to more than 2 questionable-looking “spas,” I quickly stopped. Getting a good deal ain’t never been that serious.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 2, 2015 at 1:12 pm

True, which is why I do my own review of any establishment luring us with delectable deals, before I buy. 🙂

• TA

March 2, 2015 at 3:02 pm

You too Berry?! Looool. 🙂 Ah! My dear I fell for those Dealdey unbelievable spa deals too. Spa and pedicure and massage for 5k? I will be like ‘I’m in sista’ until I would arrive at the shady looking place and discover that there is a new definition of what constitutes pedicure and full body massage. I ran away. Now I save money and go to a proper spa. Sometimes, if it sounds too good to be true, it really might be.

• newbie

March 3, 2015 at 1:58 pm

You read my mind right there. I happily went for a full body massage at a fairly reputable establishment, thanks to a Groupon voucher, and realised that the offer was essentially to lure in bodies for their apprentices to practice on. Mtcheeeeew. I could have given myself that massage at home.

• Linda

March 6, 2015 at 4:42 pm

loool Yours was better, went to one and after working round the whole of that place, i was told the spa was under construction. These days i go to lostinlagos.com

• Mz Socially Awkward...

March 2, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Car shopping.

I just recalled car shopping as one of those key areas of spend where my firm advice to anyone is that there should be no other option than to haggle for the right price. Unless you can say without a single iota of doubt that “money ain’t a thang” in your life … and even if you can, sef, why spend so much if you don’t have to?

Used to hear of people driving all the way to obscure places in England to buy cars and I thought to myself, “for wetin, na? How much wey I go use buy fuel? Come take one day off work, come invest like 8hours of road time (each way) just say I wan save money on top car wey I fit buy for Scotland?”. And then I bought my own first car and realized the true rip-off that car salesmen in these hinterlands of Great Britain have continued to inflict on customers. Mark ups in the regions of a few thousand quid are not unusual and it finally made sense to me that one does not buy certain items here. Especially when one is spending money on a mechanized beast of burden that loses value as you drive it out of the sales lot.

Definitely sure this problem is not unique to my present corner of the earth so please (and this advice goes to ladies especially because trust that regardless of skin colour, I have found that car salesmen assume women to be more gullible than men), when you’re splashing out your hard earned cash on a new ride, abeg, haggle. Haggle for the last coin you can save on it.

• Queen

March 2, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Thanks you just gave me more discount sites

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

March 2, 2015 at 9:53 pm

When I see scaling and polishing for 5k, fear dey grip me o. I mean, this goes between 50k – 75k normally. All manner of thoughts just run through my head: Is it for the teeth or for shoes? Would they just rub one white powder that would sandpaper the teeth into glistening whiteness? Or is there a special spray they would apply on the teeth that would scale and polish at once. Maybe they would just take an x-ray of the mouth and show you where work needs to be done.

My code, if fear grip you at the cheapness of the commodity, spare your pocket and save an experience. If it is called a once in a life time kind of deal, it is probably a one chance kind of thing. This is however a once in a #BN “advice offer”. Valid for posterity.

• madamnk

March 3, 2015 at 6:22 pm

haha this is so me. By the way MSA, if you shop online regularly,sign up for and install top cashback in your browser. you get certain percentage back on many websites. I got £110 cashback from sky (for a one year broadband deal i signed up for) and £3 from superdrug. I’ve been soo excited.

11. Tru

March 2, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Depends on day, time, location and mood. I play on both Teams 😀

12. Letter to my naija babe

March 2, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Poverty is a disease worse than all the diseases in this world!

Poverty will make you do the unimaginable

God help His people

13. Shenkron

March 2, 2015 at 1:04 pm

sometimes the haggling is necessary especially when the prize doesn’t sound right. on other occassions, you can be like “what the hell”, pack it for me. it all depends on the location and how much time you have on your hands.

14. Solape

March 2, 2015 at 1:09 pm

It’s good to be team money for spending, but there are times when you need to price stuffs, I can never forget the day my sis-in-law bought atiku for N10,000 after the mallam at idumota called it N25,000 , I’m always in awe of her, she can price for africa.

• rainbow me

March 3, 2015 at 10:34 am

Was it my cousin”s wife dt priced 1000 naira meat to 100 naira or thereabout,i fear d Lord!!!!!!

15. Que

March 2, 2015 at 1:45 pm

#Teampickyourbattleswisely!

I am a natural market woman, so haggling is inherent… from the streets of balogun to Portobello road and anywhere in between…..I must try my luck if I suspect there’s a chance of a better deal….and this is good for dealing with suppliers in business too…

That said, I have my days when I am not in the mood for the merry go round…I have my list drawn up with a budget attached to every item on the list, and I most likely get it at that price, or plus/minus a little extra…on such days traders can usually tell by my demeanor that i’m not up for the go-rounds….

As much as I love a good deal, I have learned that its also possible to find good deals with a better level of comfort…. imagine my shock when my 1 horse power AC was cheaper at The Game than at Idumota….. both about the same distance trom me, but of course no area boys and parking hassles at the Game… why suffer?? Also i will not leave a waitrose/sainsbury/goodies/parknshop 2 miles from me to be looking for a Costcutter/mile12/balogun 20 or more miles down especially for small purchases…naaahhh…..that will just make me ill… but if its wholesale type purchase n price we talking…. I go reach ibadan!

I dont bother pricing in shops with quoted prices unless I have identified a flaw in the product that benefits my pocket…. then when I’m on holiday mode, I hardly bother unless I don almost spend my set-aside money finish. So as I said….. I pick my battles!

16. titolu

March 2, 2015 at 2:37 pm

In as much as l don’t like doing ”alaroro” (means oversabi, miser, whatever…lol) every time i go shopping,.. particularly in those formal and ‘tush’ shopping environment……it could be ridiculous and even embarrassing at times. But, even at that, l’m not going to open my eyes and let one trader come and cheat me o..
    Let a seller call a ridiculous price, and l’d equally cut it down ridiculously too. Say a fabric that should cost max. N500 or so, and you’d hear them call it N3000…haba! I just tell you N500 straight up, or even N300 if m’ in the bad haggling mood…lol, l cant shout.. Or some seller will just size you up and call a price they think suits your status., God help you if you’re all ‘gaun gaun’ dressed, or you are there forming grammar, sorry o….
    I used to be very ‘nice’, when a trader tells me ”ah, sister, there is nothing on this market o, true to God,its N30 gain l make on it, its just that l’d not made any sales since morn that m’ just selling for you at that price, ‘ko pay me’…….” and l’d just nicely, or rather ”mumusciously” drop all my money for the goods, and of course, face the unending loud ‘music’ of haba!, ”they have CHEATED you!” from my sweet mama. And trust me, l learnt, and learnt well.

As much as l believe that there are times we just have to let the ‘economics” in us take a break, spend that money and spare ourselves the bargaining headaches, l still feel there are times we need to put into good use those haggling wisdom handed down to us by our good mamas…. Afterall, saving some change aint a bad thing na.

17. Ivy

March 2, 2015 at 2:46 pm

#TeamPickMyBattlesWisely. I’m tired and need to get a cab home….will gladly pay 1,500 naira from VI to lekki phase 1 (but i must stop at coldstone). Then days when i decide to be lazy cuz either my colleague or friend cant drop me off…..*claps hand*, i will haggle for 700 naira cab (will even tell him to pass alternative, whose fuel will finish faster?) or pay 700 naira and 120 for toll gate but if d cabbie insists on 1k biko toll gate fare will be paid by him.
    If i’m coming to lekki from airport and no one is picking me, i will drag my suitcase out and haggle for 2k (paid 2k5 once, didn’t find it funny o!) All these cab men just like to treat somebori anyhow. They will now be saying i’m too fine to price…*laughsinhausa*. E mi ke? Do i look like my money falls from heaven…even if it does sef. Mtschew.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

March 2, 2015 at 9:16 pm

You go fear price for cab at the airport, eh. Once, despite the fact that I was given cab fare, na him I waka comot for the airport, climb okada go express. take 100 naira bus. come climb bike again to front of my house. I was charged 8k, I ended up spending N500. I fitn’t shout.

• TA

March 3, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Lol! I used to do that bus-Okada stunt too. But apart from my luggage. Safety was the main thing that deterred me. You know how thieves/ robbers are always on the prowl around most Naija airport with the belief that anyone who flies has money. I don stop am tay. Please for your safety my sister think of cheaper alternatives like asking a friend/relative or regular cab guy
      not airport taxi o) to pick you up.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

March 6, 2015 at 6:00 pm

@TA
      I have o, sis. Thanks.
      Now I just walk out of the main airport and snag one of those empty cabs that came to drop off a passenger. They are waaay cheaper! Regular cabbies start to get too comfortable with you and ask invasive questions.

• Koffie

April 27, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Awwww boo boo, they are cheating you oo. I live by 2nd toll gate (after chevron) and cab from VI to my house is 1,000. Max I ever paid for it was presidential election eve with all the panic in the air then, I paid 1,500. Your own is just Lekki 1 naw, no traffic, no hassle. 1500 ke

18. TA

March 2, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Atoke of life! You know how to gist sha. I give it to you. You is good. Very good. 🙂

Now to the topic. Your mum is chairman of pricing association of Nigeria? Hahaha! I laugh in Tiv. Come and meet my mother. Dear lord. She is the founder/life patron of pricing association. I had sworn that I would never be like her in that area. Lailai or so I thought. Until I would buy something I thought I got at a bargain and then find same thing at a much cheaper price when I bothered to look around or walk farther into the markets just like my mother before me. My dear Atoke there is wisdom in looking around before settling to pay for that item o ! I learned the hard way several times . That is how the item I would pay an arm and leg for would be staring at me at the airport way cheaper. Case in point, some weeks ago before travelling to a WA country, I went to the palms at Lekki and bought Blackup powder for N7.050, I even bought 2 reasoning that with the current dollar free fall, the price might skyrocket to N10k after all Mac jacked up their lipstick prices blaming dollar rates so I bought 2 powders feeling proud of myself until I was transiting via Lome, Togo I saw same powder at the airport and guess how much, in Naira it was roughly N4,500!! I wanted to just scream. See my foolishness and I thought I was saving money. Naija merchants are the greediest ever. So I don’t blame anyone who spends precious time haggling or pricing. If you don’t haggle Naija style, well better be ready to keep forking out money like a drug/oil baron. Lol I Any item. Be it on the website or display windows at the shops. The only time I never look around or price elsewhere is when the item I absolutely must-have is the last piece/item standing. Lol

19. Jagbajantis

March 2, 2015 at 2:53 pm

My sister has to be the Secretary-General of Nigerian Pricing Society. And her method of haggling throws sellers off because she is a hardliner which is not apparent from the way she looks. Traders are always shocked to see this light skinned, ajebo looking lady holding her ground. In the end they usually gave in with a frustrated sigh of “Aunty na wa for you o. You don chop my gain na”
    The worst was when she was hailing a cab. I had never known her to jump the boss or ride the iron horse (okada) because she was proficient at squeezing near molue rates from cab drivers. Her negotiation tactic was to go to the opposite side of the street and then hail the taxi. The driver would then make a U-turn, already weakening his bargaining position somewhat. The conversation then went thus (fare prices may be off, and are only for illustration):
    Taxi driver (probably thinking to himself – this is going to be like taking candy from babe): Aunty where you dey go?

Sister: Toyin street, Ikeja.

Taxi Driver: Ah that side get go-slow well well o. Na 2000 naira

Sister (throwing some extremely random figure on the other end of the spectrum): 470

Taxi Driver: Lai Lai! You sabi as fuel don cost? Na 2000 we dey collect o

Sister: 470

Taxi Driver: I no fit do 470. Unless I go pick you, then pick another passenger join. Oya pay 1500

Sister: Traffic no dey. 470

Taxi Driver (making as if to drive off): I no fit do 470. Oya pay 1100 last

Sister (not buying driver’s bluff) as she even starts making to hail another taxi passing by: 470

Taxi Driver: See as your face dey strong sef. I just drop someone yesterday for Ikeja. Na 900 dem pay. Oya pay 800 since na early morning.

Sister: 470

Taxi Driver: I no fit do 470. Last I fit do na 600. Aunty na wa for you o. If I know say you be like this, I no for stop.

Sister, quickly replying: Oya, open door make I enter.

Now this does not always work as there are a couple of factors – fuel scarcity, route distance, traffic conditions, time of the day and the temperament of the cab driver.
    Haggling sometimes works, but sometimes you do get what you pay for. You may also get insults rained on you if you price too hard and unfairly.

• Frances Okoro

March 2, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Hahahhah!
      I loove your sis!
      This comes in handy for the rip off for taxi fares.

I have to say my style and her style and mine na almost the same.
      I nor dey shift oh, with strong face.
      If you nor gree, I go bounce!

I always think it’s wiered when people don’t “price”
      A male friend of mine used to just carry money dash seller when we are together…I go dey vex inside me.
      Come, why you dey waste money anyhow???

Loools.

• rainbow me

March 3, 2015 at 11:01 am

Lmaooo,beeni oooooo…funny sister,if dm abuse me,i go bounce bak,me ku sabi get mouth..i wil fire dm,aw dm go abuse customer?!!!!!!

20. TA

March 2, 2015 at 3:06 pm

And I am team spend the money with sense 🙂

21. cheryl

March 2, 2015 at 3:15 pm

hmm!!! most mums do a lot of haggling i must say, my mum does dat a lot OMG, i remeber aw i’ll follow her wearing my “long face” of course cos of d pricing here and there, and guess wat, we myt end up buying it at d same price as d first place we priced, but den sometyms we get a ridiculous reduced price, so am not so against it. 2 years ago a frnd n colleague wanted to get a water flax for her son who is jst starting school, according to her wen she got to d market d price d 1st woman gave seems high to her, after much haggling d woman reduced d price but she still wanted a lesser price, wen d woman refused, she went else where infact all d places she went wear higher prices wit even a substandard flax, by the time she went back to d !st woman, d woman refused to sell for the initial price again, and bcos she wanted dat quality so bad, she had to pay higher dan d initial bergained price, so u see wat haggling can cause some times

22. ebony

March 2, 2015 at 3:51 pm

my husband always says ” mother theresa, why do you like piting people like this? remind me not to buy something in your presence.. mehn! i dislike going back and forth over prices especially if its over N20 -N100 discount.. but if i have prior knowledge about the price and you want to cheat me, i will just tell you the real price and walk out of your store..

23. Zinny

March 2, 2015 at 4:01 pm

I got my mum’s genes, mehn. Haggling is in my blood. Yes, I would walk back and forth till I ensure I’m not being cheated. This is why I loved living in the North. I could price down bike fare from 50box to 10 box (for a great distance ooo); not to mention carrots and other wares. My friends used to be in awe. But I have to say, the market women/men we have these days no longer appreciate the art. Na so so curse, curse dey full deir mouth. I curse you wen you tel me say goat leg na 4,000? If I come price you 800, wetin dey der? Anyways, the venom of these women make me exercise a lot of restraint when bargaining these days.

24. j-girl

March 2, 2015 at 4:02 pm

My own mom must have studied the haggling course in school cos she does it so professionally. i would even be forced to beg her to please buy at the vendor’s rate cos it would begin to feel like we were cheating the person…but then it has helped me save several cash cos i now know the art so well but i do it fairly and at good bargain, not rip-offs like dear mama would do.

25. Ayaayo

March 2, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Team squeeze that last kobo. i like personal Balogun shopping so i can take my time to waka well before i decide on where to buy from. Even the mallam at the junction is not free from my correct bargaining/haggling skills.

Me: Mallam give me 150 carrot, spring onions, runner beans, green pepper and peas
    Mallam: Madam na 50 i pack for each
    Me: I no want plenty, just small
    Mallam: ok, he begins to pick from unpacked lot
    Mallam: take. Kai madam you don cheat me o
    Me: for this small thing, while paying with exact 150 no need to wait for change (walking away with stuff worth 300)

But seriously, I can’t be bothered at times so far my money can relieve me of the stress, i’ll gladly allow some reasonable rip-off

26. BeautifulOnyinye

March 2, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Nice article.It depends mostly on my mood.Mumsi is really good @ it.Mine was Mile 1 market in PH.My siblings and I hated going to the market with her.My husband can price for Africa.B4 he got me a car,we always went to the market together.He’d buy the meat and fish and I’d get all the other items.He always got outstanding deals.Sometimes the meat sellers would say’Madam,abeg help me beg Oga to gree my price’.Of course,I always took hubby’s side.We went to Dubai for the Christmas holidays and he said he wanted a new laptop(gadget freak that one),that was how we went to every mall and shop oh! And he got it at a remarkably reduced price finally.Some people really get power for pricing.I no fit shout.

27. Like

March 2, 2015 at 8:20 pm

I am team Balogun Market .. Yes ke, negotiation toh bad.. from my primary school day to my Ijanikin day till my Universities day – proudly Balogun however i dislike it when my mother over negotiate but sometimes it pays off.. Nowadays, if i dont do obodo shopping, buy from all these Dubai/Jand/Yankee just come back,ikeja under-bridge there is one obodo shop, i gladly drive my mother to Balogun or breadfruit or (look for Emeka’s wife also around Idumota to buy payless from ) for negotiation purposes

28. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

March 2, 2015 at 9:28 pm

I joined the host of angels to shout Hallelujah! when Shoprite started its butchery section. I mean, I remember the querulous feeling I used to feel at the pit of my stomach when I had to previously engage those cunning Alhajis in haggling over meat of any kind.

29. miss max

March 2, 2015 at 9:39 pm

I was almost developing a phobia for markets because of my mom. We could visit ten stalls just to buy one item, but I think this haggling business is inherent in women because i now see myself doing it though not as fierce as my mom. What i do mostly is have a day when i do some sort of window shopping, i check out prices from different outlets and even online so i am prepared; i know where i will go to get a good bargain and where to get quality no time to dey waka under sun abeg. But for foodstuff hmmmn… as the spirit leads…

30. DOO

March 3, 2015 at 1:09 pm

#moneyteam no time to haggle

31. tunmi

March 3, 2015 at 1:56 pm

I’d love to hear from the traders themselves, how much does haggling/pricing reduce revenue and profit? Because they sell it at a low price does not mean they are making a profit or breaking even.

32. babygiwa

March 3, 2015 at 3:06 pm

You all need to meet my mom, iya noja noja of Nigeria (chief haggler of Nigeria). My mom haggles to the point that I’m usually embarrassed that they’d think we are broke and cannot afford the items sef… But it pays off…
    Slowly learning how to haggle but if I’m not in the mood, I would just buy and bounce. And I think I’m in between team spend the money and haggle like your last kobo depends on it.
    Nice article as always

33. patsychy

March 3, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Haggling can never go in africa.me too I haggle well well for things that sometimes wen de seller agrees eventually to sell,I will start feeling for them or feel surprised that they coukd actually agree on the price.so its here to stay for as long as sellers are in the market to make gain,we ourselves will continue haggling……

34. tbaby

March 4, 2015 at 1:22 pm

I can “price” anything abeg. As long as you’re a seller and I’m a buyer everything is up for negotiation, regardless of how your shop is. Some people need to just sell and that way you can get a bargain. This however often leads to many “penny wise pound foolish” cases. Now that I can afford a little more, I consciously try not to deprive people. If I think this item is worth 500 then I pay 500. If the cab man is polite and well behaved he can get 200 tip. But if you’re mean… And now if Jumia will deliver to the comfort of my house for only 500, i’m fine with it. My husband is the opposite, he bargains at the worst places with the worst unreasonable prices. #TeamPickMyBattlesWisely

35. ilo

March 11, 2015 at 1:32 am

i always thought i was good in haggling ,until i started rolling with some guys. we went clubbing almost ever night from enugu to benin to lag.on the first nights on one of those nights we were doing d usual book a hotel, club and return back.
    so we chose a nice hotel for the night it was 12 k for a room, just when i wanted to pay for myself i heard a whisper “guy chill”; the next question was we need 3 rooms we get only 6k for each room.the girl AT THE FRONT DESK WAS SHOCKED, my guy said call ur manager, to my surprise we paid 7,500 each.That was the beginning of my pricing in hotels from 10k to 6k but something must comot,or the format of we are r coming by 2:30 am, hold 1k ” tomorrow don reach if na 2am ” ……(they always looked stunned at this point) “we go do beer for una” then crash till 9am.believe me we got so many expensive hotels down to like 3k per night and the babes will be believing us like we dey spend 25k for straight one month for hotel.miss dose days

36. Beverly

March 23, 2015 at 9:23 pm

I believe money is for spending but am like your mum o,I dey price am well.In Nigeria,you get to haggle with the sellers but here in America,you simply surf the net and compare prices and order.Why should I pay $70 when I can get it for $40?