Scoop

Belinda Effah Defends Her AMVCA Outfit ‘I Decided to Flaunt and Promote my Pride… Ladies of Today However Focus More on Brazilian Hair’

Africa-Magic-Viewers-Choice-Awards-March-2015-BellaNaija0003-600x900Nollywood actress Belinda Effah is one person who got people talking at the 2015 AMVCAs.

It was not just her outfit but also her unique choice of hair for the black tie event.

In an exclusive interview with Kemisola Filani of Kemifilani.com however, she explains the reason for her daring looks.

According to her ‘It was a well thought out plan. I am an African root, a proud Calabar girl who loves her culture, so i decided to flaunt and promote my pride.  I grew up with my hair. When I was a little girl, my mother will thread my hair and when she finishes, she will nod her hair in satisfaction and say to me, you look beautiful. Ladies of today however focus more on Brazilian hair and it shouldn’t be all about Brazilian, human hair or what have you, let’s go back to our roots. There was a time these hairs didn’t exist except our natural hair and we were surviving so it shouldn’t always be all about these weavons and all. We need to start importing and selling our own culture out there.’

Do you agree with her view?

Speaking on the criticism and backlash she says The comments didn’t move me, I am strong black African woman, it only opened my eyes to reality. A lot of people are living in denial, alot of Nigerians are so used to the western world and their lifestyle that they have forgotten their own cultural values. I have worn the western gowns and dresses to events too, i have them and they have gotten good reviews on red carpets but i want to start importing the African culture too and I am not going to stop. Let the westerners begin to appreciate our culture too.’

Photo Credit: Insigna Media

1. ruth

March 13, 2015 at 7:37 pm

ok, belinda your outfit was fabulous, it wasn’t ugly or anything, it just didn’t suit the event, i personally would love to see this on the runway at African fashion week or even u wearing it to the event, that definitely would have been perfect, there’s no need to defend your outfit though, and whats this talk about human hair and brazillian hair, she also makes it too now, at a point she was wearing a white and red hair sef, gurl please

• Anonymous

March 15, 2015 at 4:06 am

The A in AMVCA means African. What else could be more appropriate for an event that is appreciating African movies?

2. bluebell

March 13, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Love it! Beautiful original Black African Queen.

3. jojo

March 13, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Her hair is nice. what is wrong with it?

4. Anonymous

March 13, 2015 at 7:59 pm

I totally agree with Belinda!! Please! Must we always copy the western world? Black tie,white tie,who cares? Are our movies not African based? Please let’s learn to promote our own cultural heritage. Last I checked,it’s wasn’t the oscars she was headed to. You go girl!!!!! Keep being you,keep it real and stay true to yourself.

5. Dee

March 13, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Ain’t nobody talking about brazilian hair. But this is rubbis

6. bruno

March 13, 2015 at 8:18 pm

girl, stop behaving like you haven’t sown a weave to your head before.

I don’t even notice her on the red carpet. pls who is she?

• chichi

March 13, 2015 at 9:31 pm

uhh, i didn’t get that from her. i’m sure she rocks weaves too. Please read carefully next time. She said “its not all about Brazilian hair”. Her point? Be balanced!
      Who is she? In case you missed it the first time, she is Belinda Effah, a Nollywood actress. So apparently, she has a day job. The real question here is who the hell is Bruno? oh and i suspect she doesn’t give a rat’s ass whether you notice her or not. Seriously now, who got this dude feeling like he is BN’s Anna Wintour?

• bruno

March 14, 2015 at 7:24 am

dear chichi, did your boyfriend dump you? pls it is not my fault he left you,dont come here to pour your anger on me. lol

• chichi

March 14, 2015 at 10:54 am

haha…wait, was that supposed to be a rebuttal? That is honestly the best you could come up with? LMAO. He is not only condescending but, alas, he is also a nitwit. You asked a question hunny and i was kind enough to respond but i see you are hurting cos you got called out on your bs. 🙂 Oh and thanks for your concern. We are perfectly fine. He wouldn’t dream of leaving me.
      Trust me, i know just what to say to you if i wanted to descend to your level but ill keep it classy. Now run along and lick your wounds. lol..Pathetic!

• Meeeee

March 13, 2015 at 11:48 pm

Shut the f up! Who d heck do u think u are? Who cares if u notice her! Stay in your miserable hole on your racket laptop and keep feeling like a local geee! Opinionated jobless idiot!
      Belinda is pretty now, and will be equally pretty with a weave.
      Chichi high five, I’m with you on that!

• Patience Jonathan

March 14, 2015 at 4:58 am

Bruno…see as them just tidy ur – up.

7. @edDREAMZ

March 13, 2015 at 8:22 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Her interview just doesnt make sense to me though…… Do ur stuff and dont try to condem others that like those type of fashion and hair……
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

8. ngluv

March 13, 2015 at 8:27 pm

wow… i love this.. how did i miss this? my kind of style… beautiful african woman.

9. zeal

March 13, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Gbam! Nice one girl. You try and pulled it off well.

10. lol

March 13, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Boo – hoo! I’m natural and I love my weave,and always will. You hair is cute boo it’s just not suitable For the event.
    Don’t got bashing other women because they carry weave. You aren’t better or higher. Women can put whatever they want on their hair or body. Don’t degrade other women because they do what you do.
    Bn didn’t even make a big deal about her hair chick just wanted attention and she got it.

11. ada nnewi

March 13, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Her hair was awful and does not depict an African hairstyle by africans…what’s on her hair is a poor western imitation of African hairstyle, the type you would see on a runway in Europe when they try to depict “africanness”…it’s unfortunate she made a mockery of African hairstyles. Chimamanda wears African hairstyles as they should be – ” a crowning glory”….belinda on the hot hand made African hairstyle = hot mess

• ada nnewi

March 13, 2015 at 9:10 pm

*other hand

• africanbella

March 13, 2015 at 11:52 pm

What’s wrong in updating an old style. That’s what fashion is all about, being innovative and creative. I think it’s vibrant and youthful. It definitely has a place in today’s fashion world. Just because she’s updated it doesn’t mean she’s forsaken her culture, it just shows how versatile the style is and different ways of wearing it. The girl done well show casing African hair styles. Updating doesn’t equate western. Free your mind.

• ada nnewi

March 14, 2015 at 9:27 am

This is a downgrade not an upgrade!

• passingby

March 14, 2015 at 7:55 am

But what is the authentic African hair style. Can you trace the origins of the treading hair style u remember. Do you think it started as you remember it?. Can you consider for a moment that it actually evolved with time? Perhaps if our ancestors had dogmatic opinions such as the one expressed by you, We perhaps would still be walking around naked, trading by barter etc. I appreciate how this girl is thinking , I get it. Change my dear is inevitable. We don’t have to get rid of our African hair style, we can tweak it, be proud of it and wear it along side other new dos . That’s th e message I think she is trying to portray here, ”Thread as you Want”. You may not want to have it sticking up right, stair gazing !.- I quite like the F u message of the style. you may want to have it twisted around itself, however u want it. I’ve not seen treading in a long time, this babe just gave it a spot light. Get people talking bout it again .i am sorry, but people like you are the reason why some African culture dies out, culture is dynamic like life. Static means death. what exactly have you done to promote any of the African old ways to this contemporary generation ?

• africanbella

March 14, 2015 at 10:55 am

. It’s funny how people call this crazy ,but same people will rock unnatural coloured hair, half shaven crazy Dos, mop like weaves, afro bushes, bottom length weaves, all because the west accepted it first and has been worn by some mega star and is therefore now approved. I am sure some of the hair styles we have today would have been jeered at by similar minded people back in the day. I like the fact that she dared to be different .Originality doesn’t come naturally, it ain’t innate especially to my follow, follow people. Belinda you broke the boring mould and came out with something fresh. You go gurl. You are a true fashionista a trendsetter!. The others – just by genetic default – follow. Fashion forward people.

• SOLO ACT

March 15, 2015 at 7:50 pm

GOD BLESS YOU. IF you loook at african pics from the 60’s the hair was always put together. but this looks like a joke. it looks like what europeans would think black hair is. i am DONE with naturals making traditional african hairstyles look like a freak show. afterall we all grew up weaving and threading out hair. none of it looked like this mad style. we never carried brazilian hair to primary skol nah.

12. Iris

March 13, 2015 at 9:30 pm

But when her mother did her hair with thread (as many of us did ours) did it stand up like this as if she’s Nkemji from Checkmate? I thought she looked fine sha. She clearly wanted to make a statement and she did.

• prec

March 25, 2015 at 6:43 pm

LMAOOOOOOOOOO I died reading this comment, soo true, like!

13. Pat

March 13, 2015 at 9:36 pm

This is Art.. I love and appreciate the look.

14. nonye

March 13, 2015 at 9:41 pm

I actually liked the hair`. It was a fresh and different look

15. Free mind

March 13, 2015 at 9:45 pm

someone should tell this girl/lady stop this nonsense of showing true african or promoting, can she wear this stick on her head on a daily basis??? Hun, Pls just say u can’t afford Brazilian hair!! We hardly even use braz, is all about Peruvian/ Mongolian, Russian hair babyyyyy.

• Obongawan

March 14, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Your comment is stupid. So someone rocking a traditional hairstyle means they can’t afford Brazilian hair? Stop with the colonial mentality and read a book.

16. Afo

March 13, 2015 at 10:19 pm

It’s all about choices. No one should criticize this woman because she chose to wear her hair like this, and similarly people with weaves should not be castigated for wearing them. The most important thing is they made the choice as fully capable adults. Live, and let live!

17. Oyinlola

March 13, 2015 at 10:23 pm

God bless you, our women are brainwashed, why sew on horse hair or someone else’s hair on your head?? I was one of the ignorant ladies who spent time and money to look like I was born with straight hair and i went natural many years ago and much healthier, more financially stable since i don’t waste money on fake hair, fake glory and finally my husband loves my hair natural. Thanks for presenting your beauty and culture even if it looks bizzare to our own people (which is sad). I’m yet to see white girls en masse buying African hair and sowing it on their hair, in fact they make fun of those white ladies and guys who twist their hair and act like they are rastafarians, so why we think its normal to have weaves is beyond me.

18. Dilichukwumma

March 13, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Please where can I thread my hair in UK ohh???

• Hairmillionaire

March 14, 2015 at 3:53 am

Contact us, natural hair enthusiasts in London

19. Uche

March 13, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Bad English…. BN I bet she didn’t speak it like that……. Biko try correct sometimes.

20. shady

March 13, 2015 at 11:13 pm

@chichi 7 gbosa for u. The likes of Bruno thinks he’s all dat . Asking who is she? A beg who u b? Where u waka from? Irritant

21. SADE

March 14, 2015 at 12:17 am

The outfit was poorly sown, and the hair tackily made. What are you talking about? alot of Nigerian ladies are rocking natural hair nowadays, FROs and all that. You don’t have to be tacky to do so, like its not even the height of that hair but if anyone saw the hairstyle well, it seemed like the stylist was confused or just not artistic. That is a poor imitation of the African culture and a pretty poor one,reminds me of white people trying to force an African accent.

• ada nnewi

March 14, 2015 at 9:31 am

Thank you!

22. Marc Francis of Chelsea

March 14, 2015 at 12:29 am

Because thread grows from your scalp.

23. chi-e-z

March 14, 2015 at 12:49 am

umm this is an insult to african threading=looks masquerade attention seeking ish. But her dress on the other hand is the business like hottest thing I’ve seen. wow

24. chi-e-z

March 14, 2015 at 12:51 am

I wonder what the person who sat ehind her thought about her hair? js

• oyibo

March 15, 2015 at 4:13 pm

I sat behind her and I taught wow!! what a hot , strong, independent African woman. Were has she been hiding , she beats these other clones hands down.

25. Ebere

March 14, 2015 at 12:52 am

Brave move. bold look. Wonder if anyone else in the industry will dare. Shuku without attachments maybe next time

26. Nahum

March 14, 2015 at 12:56 am

I think she is beautiful. We are so used to Western fashion that we now view our own as “inappropriate”. Nice to see someone and especially a young lady, is not towing that line. Good for you Belinda!!!

27. jay

March 14, 2015 at 3:38 am

No offence but u look crazy in that hair and Africans are not mad people. I have seen beautiful threaded styles that are manageable. Get real! I don’t see you rocking this for up to a week. If you wanted to be ‘natural’, you should’ve worn ur natural hair or ‘fake natural hair’ (Brazillian).. after all, rubber or wool doesn’t grow from the scalp. Ur dress is story for another..i have seen beautiful ankara designs and for me, urs doesn’t count amongst them. You got people talking – Mission accomplished! What do I know anyway?

28. Cynthia

March 14, 2015 at 3:44 am

I loved her hair. So what if if it’s a little extreme. It’s called fashion. Of course every one has a right to his/her own opinion. She wore it to a public event so she should allow others to express their opinions. And then she can also express her own opinions regarding other people’s opinions. And life goes on. What’s the next story?

29. shannie

March 14, 2015 at 4:17 am

This has less to do with her portraying her “African roots” and more to do with the fact that her hair looks ridiculous and so does her outfit. You see many celebs in African printed fabrics and designs that look amazing, but her look is poorly constructed. She’s trying to make a statement, but honestly she made herself look like an idiot because even if you embrace your African roots, you can do it and knock it out of the park…….she looks like a walking disaster.

30. rosey

March 14, 2015 at 8:01 am

Tbh..that outfit wasn’t called for..it was an award night,not a fashion week nd what’s with the brazillian hair talk…madam take several seats..next time dress to suit the occasion.

31. elaine

March 14, 2015 at 8:02 am

This girl just wanted publicity. .nobody should have even answered her..mtcheww

• xta

March 14, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Yea n here u r talking bout it, she will get good roles for this courage n outfit

32. MOM

March 14, 2015 at 8:15 am

BELINDA IF YOU CAN READ ME. JUST KEEP THE AFRICAN ATTIRE MOVING ON THE RED CARPET WT THE BEAUTIFUL AFRICAN STYLE. I LOVE IT. IT IS BEAUTIFUL. IT IS AFRICAN MAGIC VIEWERS CHOICE AWARD. DON’T LET PEOPLE THOUGHT CONFUSE YOU. BE YOU BE REAL BE CONFIDENT. CHIMAMANDA NGOZI ADICHE ROCKED HER HAIR AND EVERY ONE WAS LIKE BEAUTIFUL, PRETTY PLS DO YOUR THING. I WILL LOVE TO SEE MORE BEAUTIFUL OUTFIT REPRESENTING OUR CULTURE AND AFRICA ON THE RED CARPET FROM YOU. MAKE IT YOUR STYLE I PROMISE YOU THEY WILL COPY YOU. I REMEMBERED WHEN NATURAL HAIR STARTED , PPL WHERE LIKE WHAT IS THIS. NOW IT IS THE IN THING . ROCK UR DRESS BESIDES YOU KILLED THAT ATTIRE . IT WAS ON POINT

33. tilda

March 14, 2015 at 11:18 am

It’s a fashion statement people come on. I for one am sick of the sight of weaves. Got everyone looking the same. And the horrors some women hid under those things makes my skin crawl just to imagine. To each his or her own, sha. If you are going to nail a weave onto your scalp please take it off once a week, and give your scalp a good wash. Its Africa its hot we sweat. Wash the damn weave tooo. Nuffsaid

34. xta

March 14, 2015 at 2:04 pm

I basically think her hair and outfit is exceptionally cute cos it fits her, style is all about what fits you n she definitely got tongues rolling cos we are all here talking about it aint it??? In addition she didnt bash anyone’s outfit she only promoted hers and even included she’s worn other outfits. You look superb!

35. Nina

March 14, 2015 at 2:11 pm

I applaud the African take..but i don’t know do ppl still wear isi owu like that….still admire her boldness

36. Abbs

March 14, 2015 at 5:00 pm

I neither like nor dislike her choice of outfit or hairstyle. It is her choice and I don’t see why she has to defend those choices to anyone… just the same way I don’t see why she feels it is okay to question others who choose to wear Brazilian, Indian, Nigerian or whatever weave. We spend too much time focusing on what others think of us. Life’s too short, no matter what you do someone somewhere will take a negative perspective so why care? Just live and let live.

37. lily

March 15, 2015 at 7:14 pm

i think she looks great. will be willing to do this anytim, anyday.

38. obim

March 15, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Ada nne Wi abi and Bruno are from the same hole… na two of una go fit dey switzerland winter de lick icecream… Both of you should go rear cattles in koma hills… I love people who stand out…be linda did… you both go enroll in her school of standing out… its free

39. coke

March 16, 2015 at 9:50 am

There is nothing African in what i see there!

40. jefka

March 16, 2015 at 10:26 am

for y”all saying she cant rock this on a normal day, i dont understand you all. o.
    this was an event, every other person you praised cant wear what they wore on a normal day too.
    Belinda nwa, baby e di ok (in phyno’s voice)

41. jefka

March 16, 2015 at 10:27 am

and that include their hairstyles too………