Music

Do You Remember This #ThrowbackTrack? Listen to Prince Nico Mbarga – Sweet Mother

Prince Nico Mbarga - Sweet Mother - BellaNaija - May - 2015

Sweet mother, I no go forget you!

It was Mother’s Day on Sunday, 10th May 2015 and what better track to celebrate motherhood than Prince Nico Mbarga‘s Sweet Mother.

Released in 1976, Sweet Mother is a highlife song by Nigerian and Cameroonian singer Prince Nico Mbarga and his band Rocafil Jazz.

Sung in Nigerian Pidgin English and coupled with Congolese Soukous-style guitar finger-picking, Sweet Mother became one of the top sellers in the history of Nigerian music and is sometimes reffered to as Africa’s anthem.

Sing along to this classic song!

Listen to Prince Nico Mbarga – Sweet Mother

[audio: https://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Prince-Nico-Mbarga-Sweet-Mother-BellaNaija-May-2015.mp3]

Download

1. busybee

May 14, 2015 at 3:16 pm

classic song. there is no reason why this man should not be a millionaire and living a luxurious life based on this song. let’s hope this is the case!

• Missy J

May 14, 2015 at 5:11 pm

I know right!! Too bad he is late, He died a long time ago. May his soul rest in peace!!

2. iyke

May 14, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Ever green!!!??❤❤?
    Best part of my life was spent in the arms of a woman who wasn’t my wife…..My Mother!
    She is my first country,the first place I ever lived!

3. Bleed Blue

May 14, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Remember ke?

This song was NEVER forgotten oh. Evergreen tune with meaning!

Light-bulb moment………. I’m going to play it for my kids this Friday night, and as many Friday nights as I can muster. The next generation must not lose this jam!

4. mockingbird

May 14, 2015 at 3:36 pm

Thanks for this epic throwback BN..Please we need more of this old school songs

5. @edDREAMZ

May 14, 2015 at 3:46 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    Song of life….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

6. Ochouba Chidinma

May 14, 2015 at 3:55 pm

#Evergreen ……. I performed this song on Sunday and waooo…..The Women Kept giving me money!!

7. mrs chidukane

May 14, 2015 at 4:00 pm

After my baby’s first (and only sickness, please God) ,I got a new appreciation for this song. I make sure I rock it wherever I hear it biko.

• mrs chidukane

May 14, 2015 at 4:00 pm

*illness

• mrs chidukane

May 14, 2015 at 4:02 pm

*Ink see what you’ve caused with your irk article.

8. toofan

May 14, 2015 at 6:31 pm

The good old days wen musicians could play almost every instrument……..nice and e vergreen song.

9. Drknite

May 14, 2015 at 7:33 pm

This song reminds me of social engagements my parents would have. Dancing and drinking until the early mornings!

10. Jymco007

May 14, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Evergreen song….I see his graveyard & lament whenever I go through Ikom in C/River State. Then, Music was just a raw hustle and this Legend ended up dying in a road accident (Just about to alight from bike (Okada) in Calabar and a car knocked him off the road).

11. Miss Anonymous

May 14, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Just played it for Mom 🙂

12. Ileola

May 14, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Mother’s Day was NOT Sunday May 10 in Nigeria ! It was in the US, Mother’s Day and a Father’s Day in Nigeria are the same as they are in the UK ! Two months ago !!!! ( for Mother’s Day that is)

13. Sweet mama

May 15, 2015 at 12:11 am

There is no wedding ceremony I attend in the U.S.A that they don’t play this song.All the Nigerian weddings!.And no matter how bored people are,they always get on their feet to dance to it.There is something about the song! that people love.May his soul rest in peace.