Features

BN Cuisine with Chef Alex: Vegan Banana Loaf

Chef Alex - picI can tell you for free that Lagos is hectic. If it isn’t a driver problem then it’s fuel, or traffic, or which church to attend, or power, or anything and everything under the sun.

It’s stressful…

…and so it’s important to celebrate the small victories that come our way now and again. Temporary mood alleviators as I like to call them, such as finding a free bench at the gym, or a piece of cake to eat thereafter :).

Against this backdrop, alternative diets such as vegan, paleo, gluten free etc seem far removed – a first world problem; but I’m probably not the first to tell you that these are gaining traction in Nigeria and you’ll find devotees and gatherings all around Lagos for example.

To celebrate these hipster “alternative” folks, I’ve decided to share my dairy free, vegan banana bread with muesli streusel.

You’ll need (makes one standard loaf):
Bread flour 225g (sub with rice flour for gluten free)
Baking Soda 7g
Salt 3g
Cinnamon 7g
Nutmeg 1g
Vegetable Oil 53g
1 ripe and soft avocado (sub with 1 large egg for non-vegan)
1/4 cup cornflour (sub with 61g of whole milk for non-vegan)
Brown Sugar 150g
Honey 50g
Ripe Bananas (mashed) 225g
Vanilla Extract7g
image1
How To
Sift together dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. With whisk or by hand, beat sugar and bananas until broken up.

image3

Add diced avocado (or beaten egg) and whisk on medium high until the mix starts to lighten in colour. Slowly add all the liquid ingredients one at a time in any order.

image2 image4

Fold in dry ingredients all at once.
image5

Spray or grease a standard loaf pan and preheat oven to 175C.

image6

Deposit batter and sprinkle muesli streusel over surface, bake for about 35 minutes or until ready. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the centre of the loaf, it it comes out clean your banana loaf is ready.

image7 image9Cool on a rack.

image10
Chef’s notes
I was in a hurry to get this recipe to you, and only had semi-ripe bananas and avocados at my disposal. It’s important to source yellow bananas and super soft avocados, as this will improve the taste your loaf and the quality of the final product.

The honey in this recipe helps the loaf stay moist for up to a week, and my recommendation would be to refrigerate it until you’re ready to eat or serve, and only then bring up to room temperature.

As always, please post some feedback or even send a DM with your loafs to my Instagram. I’m always eager to hear how my recipes work for you.

Until next time remember to cook with class and serve with style.

Your Chef Alex.

Alex Oke is a Nigerian chef who’s patently passionate about bread, pastry and confections. He trained in classical/contemporary French cuisine at the Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts in Canada, and currently lives and works in Lagos, Nigeria. Follow his personal and culinary adventures on Instagram @alexcooksfood, where he currently photoblogs.

1. Nelly Agogu

July 24, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Lovely!!! i make mine with oats flour …. you will love it …. 09091765500

2. Fabulous B

July 24, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Lovely. Thanks chef Alex. If will try it. Good job, chef.

3. AlmondEyes

July 24, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Trying to be somewhat vegan is harder than I imagine. While I did not give up white meat and the occasional red meat, I really wanted to give up processed grains. I haven’t really succeeded in doing that all the time. I love this recipe and hope I can try it soon.

4. TA

July 24, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Sounds super delish. I’m having kids over this weekend so this is going to come in handy. Instead of the muesli, would opt for grated coconuts. Thanks chef Alex

• whocares

July 24, 2015 at 5:18 pm

I had about 17 bananas at home. Made some banana cake and banana bread for the little brothers.. The ungrateful brats did not like it. They were all “where is the icing, where is the sugar”.. Boy was I mad! loool . Hopefully the kids you have over have more taste than my younger brothers.
      Now to the recipe. I usually give vegan/ eggless recipes side eyes. In my experience they usually taste like cardboard (especially the cake) they are dry and I just cant describe the taste. Now this bread. I just dont know. I already struggle enough in the kitchen as it is. I dont want to bake it now and have my bosses decide it makes a better football than bread. Non vegan option it is. Although can I use both egg and avocado? I find the inclusion of avocado interesting here. Does it perform similar functions as eggs? Can I use both? Ooh can I bake a banana and avocado bread? That should taste good right? somehow I think it will work. If I use the same amount of avocado as banana? too mushy? I like avocados, I like bananas.. (see how I gradually convince myself to do the insane) *skips and whistles to the store”.

5. Hafi's Blacksoap, Oils & Butter

July 24, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Thats all?? Banana bread just like that??? Super super simple to make!! bookmarked already!!!

6. jojo

July 24, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Will try this reciepe. I had my first gluten free bread 2 weeks ago and life hasn’t been the same since then. Can’t stand regular bread. spent this week hunting down gleten free bread to buy. this will help with all that dependency on someone else baking it for my to buy.
    Thanks man

7. Chinco

July 24, 2015 at 7:46 pm

I cant do vegan ever… I still made delicious banana bread on monday and everyone loved it. I love avocado in salads though

8. Tosin

July 24, 2015 at 8:23 pm

to be honest, it’s the eating part that interests me. Chef Alex, you fine o.

9. *curious*

July 25, 2015 at 4:16 am

Yay for vegan recipe!!! 🙂

10. Vidavi

July 25, 2015 at 4:32 am

Abeg can’t he just deliver to my house?

• Alex

July 29, 2015 at 5:18 pm

We deliver!

11. sera

July 27, 2015 at 7:05 pm

Chef Alex thank you, I love avocado and banana! Would try this someday!

12. NewlyPaleo

July 28, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Chef Alex where can I find Paleo groups in Lagos? I am in dire need of a recipe exchange group.

• Alex

July 29, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Hi there, I’ll make some inquiries and get back to you.

13. Wandoo Ityavyar

September 29, 2015 at 3:43 pm

How did I miss a post with the word vegan in it?Omg! I can think of 5 people I would love whole grain vegan banana bread delivered to. Chef Oke for president!