Features

Ogechi: So You Want To Move To America

Ogechi OneSavvyDollar

I never really planned on moving out of the country. I was studying law at the University of Lagos and had just completed my first year when I got my visa. Before I could say UniLag, I found myself in an unfamiliar place that I had to get used to… very quickly.

Coming to America was an entirely different experience for me. I wasn’t one of those we-spent-our-summer-in-America kids. Matter of fact, I had never travelled outside Nigeria before and it was also my first time on a plane. So whatever I knew about America was from movies. I thought it was all peaches and cream. Boy, was I in for a rude awakening. I remember wanting to move back home the moment I landed and still feeling that way, months later.

You see, I read interesting stories about people who did whatever they could to migrate. From those who joined missionaries and singing groups only to disappear upon landing, to others who signed up as sports supporters and somehow forgot to return with the team. A few years ago, the trend was seemingly middleclass people selling their belongings and migrating to start over. For many others, it became a do or die affair. I didn’t understand the craze.

Regardless of how any Nigerian who migrated to America got here, that person has a story which includes a period of adjustment. This period of adjustment will vary based on age, state, and the circumstances under which you migrate i.e. legal or illegal and if you have family. If you’re planning on moving, here are a few things you should know.

Housing
In Nigeria, family members have been known to just pack their bags, show up to your house without much notice, and stay till forever. Don’t expect the same in the States. If you stay with someone other than staying for holidays (meaning your holiday has a start and end date / a relatively short period of time), they will expect you to pay a portion of the rent or bills. Expect the same treatment even from your own family. If you refuse to pay, you may find yourself on the streets. I know people who have been kicked out from their relatives place. Should a person house you for free and not ask a dime from you, be grateful! Before you get upset with your friends or relatives, it’s not entirely their fault. People rarely own their house outright. One of the major reasons people borrow from the bank is to buy a house and there are many bills associated with owning a home; the mortgage, home insurances, taxes, heat, electricity, and maintenance among many others. Also, rent can be expensive depending on the state and city they live in.

Finances
America is a credit based society. People make major and minor purchases on credit. Because it is a credit based society, the country has a great record keeping system. This means if you like to own nice things and not pay, this place will not work well for you. For instance, people have gotten dressed for work and found their cars ‘missing’ because the bank sent someone to repossess it for lack of payments. They know everything about you. i.e where you work or live. If you reside in the States legally, you will be given a social security number (SSN) and you will also need to start building your credit immediately. This credit issue is tricky for some of us because we are not used to it. A credit score is a numerical number from 300-850 used by lenders to determine your creditworthiness. The higher your number is, the greater your chances are of being approved for any loan at the best rate. Every time you don’t pay your bills or pay late, it affects your credit score negatively. The good news, things work. As long as you pay your bills, you can enjoy everything in abundance.

Education
From university and beyond, you are in control of your schedule. You get to decide when and how you want to attend your classes i.e. in person or online, morning or night. If you are migrating to the States, and already completed a bachelors degree in Nigeria, migrate with your transcripts and send it to WES (World Education Services). They will evaluate it and tell you what courses will or will not transfer. Most likely, courses that don’t transfer can be taken at the local community college in your area. Also, if you have already obtained a bachelors degree in Nigeria, go for a masters even if it takes you the same amount of time it would have taken you to get an American bachelors degree. Another major difference is the method of teaching and the teachers. Some university level teachers in Nigeria take pride in knowing only one or two students passed their class. I remember hearing teachers brag about this like it was a badge of honor. It is the complete opposite here. A few students passing a teacher’s class is nothing to brag about; it means you have not done your job. Your teachers are supposed to help you learn and a teacher could get in trouble for that. In contrast, graduating high school (secondary school) is a big deal for Americans partly because some don’t go further than that.

Healthcare
This is not free and is very expensive –  in comparison to London and Canada. Paying expenses out of your pocket will easily put you in debt. An ambulance ride alone can cost you over $500 and you haven’t even seen a doctor yet. You will need insurance and the easiest way to get one is through your employer.

Childcare
We don’t have drivers or cooks over here. How dare you? Are you JLo? That is luxury for the average mother in the States. Paid maternity leave for most private companies is only 3 months. Sure you can take  additional time off but it will be unpaid. If you stay out too long, you might not have a job anymore. Babysitters/daycare is expensive! It is not uncommon for couples to sit down and calculate if it makes sense for both parties to keep working or one person staying home to avoid paying daycare. An ex coworker had to make that decision and decided to quit. Some Nigerians file for relatives to stay with them temporarily. Whatever you decide, plan ahead. Plan way ahead.

Weather
There are different seasons; winter, spring, summer, and fall. The severity of each will differ based on your state. For some cold states, it is so cold you can’t feel your face or fingers with some states experiencing blizzards. Trust me, it is not a time to be homeless or not pay your gas or electricity bills. If you’re a woman, in a cold state, be careful with your hair. You might lose some of it because our hair is used to the Nigerian heat.

That being said, I have resided here for years now and wouldn’t change all my experiences for anything even the bad. What has your experience been like since migrating? How long would you say was your adjustment period was? I would like to write about credit but will only do so if you express interest. You can also ask a specific question about finances in America.

Let me know in the comment section below.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Konstantin32

Ogechi is the founder of OneSavvyDollar.com OneSavvyDollar exists to make your personal financial life dramatically simpler, more convenient, less intimidating, more fun and fashionable by teaching personal finance in a fun, engaging and empowering way. On her blog, she writes about entrepreneurship, career, education and interesting money news. Connect with her on facebook: @onesavvydollar or Instagram: @onesavvydollar

1. Abby

July 28, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Is this deja-vu or does it seem like I have read this exact topic by the same author on BN sometime ago? Or perhaps was it another writer who wrote on the same topic…

• Wale

July 28, 2015 at 8:28 pm

“Away” is blissful and safe; Naija is real and the future-that is were the heart is.

2. IDA

July 28, 2015 at 1:19 pm

I plan on coming to school in d US next year.what types of job can I get part time n how well does it pay.cos plan on coming with my kids so need all d financial tips I can get.thanks…Ps love d topic,very important for us who don’t Rili know wat to xpect

• olu

July 28, 2015 at 2:48 pm

come to U.S for school….with kids?

Good luck o …you will need it.

• Steph

July 28, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Contact me on [email protected], I can give you some information that might be helpful.

• Professor X

July 28, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Unless your kids are US citizens, you think the visa officer will give all of your visas? Traveling with kids for your studies is a potential red flag in your application.

• Tunmi

July 28, 2015 at 11:03 pm

Learn how to Braid hair and fix weaves. That skill alone ehn can fetch you so much. I was doing hair in Naija, just something small small for my sister. Then when I came here, I started practicing my own hair. A scene in Saworoide where Bukky Wrights character was plaiting her own hair inspired me. Then I started working at a braiding salon with Salone, Gambian, and Cameroon women. The money is good and it’s tax-free. And when you get private clients (don’t dare take the shop’s clients), the money is even better.

• chigirl

July 28, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Nnem u can only work oncampus as an intil student, for 20 hours when school’s in session and 40 hours on scheduled breaks. Most oncampus jobs pay minimum wage (~ $8 in d state where i reside) so pls ensure u have other solid financial plans

• Pearl

July 29, 2015 at 9:06 am

IDA Think very well b4 u make that decision that person advising u will not accomodate u for long or even feed u.

3. A Real Nigerian

July 28, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Why are people so crazy about going overseas? I know things here are substandard and just downright wrong in almost all cases, but what the hell is this whole obsession about?
    Travelling is a very normal thing, I don’t understand why Nigerians make a big deal out of it like they are some picayune
    America, UK, America, UK, America wah wah wah. What the hell?

• Professor X

July 28, 2015 at 3:06 pm

My friend please do me a favor, and gerrarahia for real.

If you know our Nigerian system is substandard, surely you understand the need to travel and acquires strong skills and knowledge from overseas, in hopes of using it to develop our country one day.

Do you even understand the level of poverty more Nigerians would be experiencing if not for relatives abroad repatriating funds?

Yes, traveling as a Nigerian is a big deal! Do you know how many steps we have to jump through in order to approved for a visa at the numerous consulates in Nigeria? Meanwhile, your American counterparts will get “touch brain”, buy ticket and hop on a plane to Germany for octoberfest – no visa required. Yes, it is a big deal.

• A Real Nigerian

July 28, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Travelling is a big deal, yes, but it should be a big deal personally. Just to you. You can be happy you got a new experience, yes. But why talk about it over and over again? Especially when it has little or nothing to do with an issue being talked about?
      The visa stress is why you behave the way you do? Lol, can you even listen to yourself? Even war veterans don’t yap about their experiences in epic battles as much as Nigerians do about travelling.
      As for your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs, I don’t know how they have anything to do with what I am talking about.

• Mudiaga O'neil

July 28, 2015 at 3:23 pm

you know, it’s easy for you to get so mushy about their affectations because you ,as I can tell, have already had your fair share of traveling. Not so many others. you will do well to bear with us and excuse our ignorance!

• Ope

February 25, 2016 at 9:50 pm

So why are you ranting?
      The essence of this post is to educate those who want to travel abroad, If you don’t have an advice, just move on.

4. A Real Nigerian

July 28, 2015 at 1:52 pm

They talk about it all the time. They write about it all the time like in this article. Over and over again, and it has become so wretch-inducing.
    Most people who even comment here always make sure they remind everyone they live overseas or have experience life abroad in one seemingly innocent way or another in an attempt to gather more respect for whatever opinion or view they are trying to pass across. As if travelling outside automatically makes you a bigger and better person. Pathetic.
    Travelling is a very normal thing, I don’t understand why Nigerians make a big deal out of it ALL the time.
    Almost every person who travels overseas for one thing or the other will make sure they tell you or remind you about it without being asked. They just say it, like it’s a very big deal or something that should be used to judge someone. And this set of people usually possess inflated images of themselves… just because they have travelled. It is sad and really shows how low we have become as a people.
    America, UK, America, UK, America wah wah wah everywhere! Shut the f–k up, nobody cares if you live outside the damn country. It doesn’t mean anything and it doesn’t make you better than anybody.
    What the hell?
    So beta, so cringeworthy.

• Agatha

July 28, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Wow you definitely sound really burnt about not living here. How can you hate from the outside when you can’t even get in boo? We are not pathetic for living over here. You are pathetic because you are hating on people who have migrated and are clearly not worried about you.

• A Real Nigerian

July 28, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Wow. This is exactly the kind of repugnant mentality I was talking about.
      Lol! I sound so burnt about not living there? Where exactly? So, because I stated that most Nigerians who have travelled out are self-absorbed and talk about it like it is a big deal, you are implying that I am jealous or something? How pathetic!
      Someone condemns something, and suddenly, he/she is jealous. What a poor way of seeing things.
      Your inability to think well and constantly embrace distorted views of things is clearly telling in your response. Where did I say people are pathetic for living outside? I simply said they gloat about it and feel the need to mention it when it is not necessary – just like you have. Why did you have to tell us you live outside, and as a result, I am hating on you?
      “Hating”, one thing Nigerians are even more obsessed about talking about over and over again.
      Why did you feel the need to let everyone on BN know that you live outside? You could have simply and smartly countered my comment without telling us you live “over here”, but you just had to.
      Thank you for stupidly proving my point.

• Benbella

July 28, 2015 at 2:53 pm

It seems that somebody just wants to chuck his/her toys out of the pram.

You do realize that Nigerians readers who visit this website live in different parts of the world, with a sizable portion in America. There has to be articles for everyone, not just those domiciled in Nigeria, which is why Grace’s articles are welcome and refreshing.

I notice you critique almost everything that is posted here, with no positive notes to add. And it appears that “cringeworthy” is a new word you have learned, as you use it frequently out of context. Take several seats, like a musical chairs game.

• A Real Nigerian

July 28, 2015 at 3:30 pm

You don’t have a point. And the whole “you learned this word recently” garbage way of dissing is old and lame.
      Cringeworthy.

• EllesarisEllendil

July 29, 2015 at 12:15 am

I’m confused, aren’t you supposed to only take one seat in musical chairs not several???

• Finest

July 29, 2015 at 10:20 am

Dumb ass, she is being sarcastic. The real Nigerian can take or even all the seats in a musical chaire.

• red

July 29, 2015 at 3:52 pm

lool. i was gonna say d same thing. think he just learnt cringeworthy.hehehehe. alakori

• Duchess Maria

July 28, 2015 at 3:06 pm

You sound like someone with a real inferiority complex.

• Anonymous

July 28, 2015 at 5:26 pm

I understand where this person is coming from with the comment. We place a lot of importance in living outside the country but the truth is that it’s not that big a deal.

5. Minka

July 28, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Very insightful! Great tips Ogechi.

6. aisha

July 28, 2015 at 1:59 pm

the model in this picture……. your hair….. bet y

• Sly

July 28, 2015 at 2:32 pm

LOL! That’s Amrika for you o. You can have braids on for MONTHS because to braid is like 40,000 naira. So no blame her as her hair done nearly turn dada.

• Mizz Tee

July 29, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Abi o….and why do her lips look dry and moisturized at the same damn time?!

7. ShineShineShine

July 28, 2015 at 2:01 pm

File for a relative to come and help? As good as the idea sounds, Mbanu. I remember when l first moved to the UK, l wanted to and discussed it with my lawyer. He advised against it. Simply becos, even blood relatives have been known to cry “twelve years a slave” when relationships go bad. If not for work and education for the kids, Naija sweet no bi small if you Hv a good job. Chinedu the driver, Kafaya the cook, Ekaette the nanny, Mathew the gardener etc.

• l

July 28, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Relatives from naija can come over to take care of the kids for as long as needed but the yankee relatives throw them out of d streets if they don’t pay their own share of d rent if they r only around cos they need help, they are bad if they complain dat u treat them like a slave. Of course naija is sweet bcos Chinedu the driver, Kafaya the cook, Ekaette the nanny, Mathew the gardener are readily available for very low wages, would u wish dat status for ur own children? U see u r slave driver, very unpleasant and proud.

• ShineShineShine

July 28, 2015 at 8:59 pm

@L, you my friend is an idiot. Driving is a job. Being a cook is a job. Someone has to do it. It is idiotic mentality like urs that makes certain people look down on certain jobs. No wonder we have armed robbers who would rather steal than drive. In your poverty stricken life, you think all drivers earn N50k? Some earn more than fresh graduates or teachers in Nigeria. Ever heard of dignity in labour? I guess you’ll encourage ur daughters to sell their bodies and your sons to rob. Everybody cannot work in an Oil coy.

So, Pls. Take your miserable, poverty striken mentality elsewhere.

• Flaming

July 28, 2015 at 9:33 pm

@Shine, I’m glad you did not dissapoint. Your reply is #EPIC. Poverty is a disease. My parents driver has been with them for eight years. He does not even earn N100k. He earns more. More than some graduates. Their cook has been with them for 11 years. He is a father and husband. Not everybody employs minors or pay their domestic staff N2k. No blame am, she does know any better.

• Adenike Adebayo

July 28, 2015 at 5:08 pm

LMAO!!! A billion likes for you jare my sister

8. prec

July 28, 2015 at 2:17 pm

When I tell people that I’m going to come home soon, they think i’m stupid or joking, they don’t understand how hard this place is. Living from paycheck to paycheck,, abi is it how we Africans are basically invisible in this country, except i’m rich, rich, this country does not give me peace of mind, everything here is so fast paced, work, work, work, no time to stop and relax and take it all in. Some Nigerians can indeed handle the craziness here, it all depends. One advice tho, don’t come here depending on “family,” cause it wont take long before wahala will start. I know Nigeria is shitty, but I feel like it’s my own shit, shit I understand.

When I got here I went through that period of adjustment too, and wanted to leave immediately, it doesn’t make it any better that i didn’t want to come in the first place, but i am thankful, so thankful to God, I got the experience. Made me open to a lot of things, exposed my mind to new concepts, cultures, so yeah.

9. SammyNutz

July 28, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Miss ogechi stop the fear tactics please…ur article was poorly written biko. America is land of the free and so its not a one size fits all society. For those planning to come, please try if you can. America is a great country and its the best example of “when one door closes, another one will surely open”. Disappointment is never permanent in this country.
    Housing – uhmmm, who are the hustlers that u call family & friends??? Cos everybody i know will never think twice about housing a student during the breaks/ holidays. Even in nigeria people in school dont just go visit with plans of never returning back to campus. Its always a good idea to give an approximate length of stay, so ur host/hostess can plan, regardless of the Geographic location.
    Smh @ u saying “people rarely own their homes”. Are you a learner?? Not all nigerians struggled to come to america, alot already had established lives in nigeria and moved here to live better.
    “We dont have drivers & cooks over here” – uhhmm yes we do, the cooks are called caterers. You pay them to cook and deliver to you. Ofcourse in nigeria most cooks r residents in ur home, while not thesame here but they still cook for u.
    Childcare – nanny plenty for here oh. Hispanic, carribean & african women offer these service. Actually, in an african or carrib church its not uncommon to find older women that offer this service. In nigeria ur nanny might be a resident in ur home but in yankee, most times he/she will leave at night.
    Weather – why make it seem like america is one freezer??? On the average winter months are shorter. Balance the article and discuss about the hotter months. How to mainl
    Everybody has a different experience in america Homegirl, so stop overhyping tinz.

• ChUch

August 4, 2015 at 10:44 am

A million likes sammynutz!
      Those that wish to come should please try. Those that don’t want, well, you don’t have to.

10. SammyNutz

July 28, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Weather – why make it seem like america is one freezer??? On the average winter months are shorter. Balance the article and discuss about the hotter months. How to maintain ur hair, sunburn protection/spf use, hydrating, tourism, etc…smh

• Californiabawlar

July 28, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Thank you!! Fear tactics gbaa!
      I can’t believe a young Nigerian wrote this! Your mates are on the North Seas expeditions, you’re here complaining about cold that hits you on your way to and back from work….yeye dey smell.

Which kain cold be that? As much as I hate hate hate winter weather, I once almost took a dream job in Alaska! Emi omo… I simply asked them how long I was going to be there for, they said 3years then I get rotated to Houston or New Orleans… I’m like “bring it on biatchezzz”??

11. Benbella

July 28, 2015 at 2:37 pm

I always tell people that Yankee is a glorifed Nigeria. Except that corruption is on a lesser scale, and does not interfere with basic structures in place for the average man on the street. Nigeria is similar – with a federal arrangement, bicameral legislature and the lack of a sophisticated welfare like you see in Britain.

The main difference between the 2 countries are “process” and “consequence.” I will explain.

In America, there is a process for everything. You move here, you start from the bottom no matter who you were in your previous country. You build up your credit, your work history, and start on a lower salary scale. Once you have garnered sufficient experience, you can apply for bigger paying jobs, and any certifications/courses you do will add to your bargaining power. Your credit will start at zilch when you come, but if your bank where you pay your salary, offers you a credit card, you can start building your credit. I started at $3500 limit for my first credit card, and then I was able to build that up, as I used and paid off on the card. Then your credit grows until you can apply for a loan to purchase a home and get decent interest rates (which are calculated based on your credit history). When you buy a home, you can build equity if the value goes up. This equity is the difference between the purchase price, and the price it is currently worth. You can take that equity and purchase an even bigger 2nd home, as you have a bigger deposit (which gives you favorable interest rates)

There is no jumping the gun, or “do you know who my father is”. Unless your father is Obama/Warren Buffet, and even them are not above the law.

There is a consequence for every action. If you violate a simple traffic law, you get fined. If you murder someone, and police finds out when you are 100 years old, off to jail you go. Not even Nixon could hush the Watergate scandal. Sure, no justice system is perfect and there are inconsistencies here and there, but that fear of consequence makes the system prevail. That is why people can sleep in homes without walls, or have packages delivered to their doorstep when they are not home. If you get caught breaking the law, you pay the consequence.

Other things to note:

– It is a very racist society. That should not deter you from meeting your goals, though. Nigeria is very racist too

– Be ready to work hard for every cent. There are no bail-outs or handouts here. Nobody will give you “envelop for Xmas” or spray money on your forehead (except at Nigerian Houston parties, haha!)

– Nigerians here are quite competitive. Stay in your own lane, and dont compare yourself to others who have been here for long. Sort your shit out – go to school, build your resume, get financing for your business, before you think of buying a big SUV or an expensive house to keep up with the Adeyemis, Okoronkwos and Ahmeds.

– Disregard any Nigerians in Nigeria trying to make you feel guilty for moving to Yankee. The most important thing in life is to make a success of yourself wherever you are, on God’s green earth

– Attempt to get positive influences from the country, and do not live in the cocoon of the Nigerian community in whatever state you are. Socialize with Americans, go see sports games, go to mall, hang out for after-work drinks, join a social group, learn Americanisms.

– Watch the food, and your weight. Chai, especially if you are in Texas. The portions are massive, and laden with sugar. Learn to say no to food. Unlearn that Nigerian attitude of wolfing anything that is offered to you even if you are not hungry.

• Steph

July 28, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Why didn’t you write this article?! You took the words right out of my mouth!

Ogechi OneSavvyDollar

July 29, 2015 at 2:37 am

Great contribution Benbella.

• Liz

July 29, 2015 at 10:59 am

I Love u Benbella!!!!

12. RIFF RAFF

July 28, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Interesting….love it. What about social welfare? What is exactly all about and how does it work? What kinds of jobs can you readily pick up and earn an ok salary while trying to adjust to your new life especially if u gat a family and kids? I gat a sister over there with a child who complains about stress at and how raising kids and holdin a job at the same time is no beans. Funny enough, she don’t want to send kiddo back here for mama to raise and she isn’t even in a hurry to come back. That brings me to my next question:
    How come our peeps there complain all the time that the US is not a bed of roses but yet categorically refuse to come back home upon all the so-called “hardship” over there?

• Professor X

July 28, 2015 at 3:10 pm

24 hour electricity, salaries or wages paid when due, free public schools, due legal process, loans to buy a house. Do I continue?

• lol

July 28, 2015 at 3:19 pm

umm whats your definition of okay. Okay salary to me is after bills you have enough money to shop or save.
      When you get $10 per hour job its enough to pay bills.
      you want big money you go to school. School in America is expensive.
      for the lady coming with her kids and trying to go to school bless your soul. its not impossible but its going to be hard depending on what you’re majoring in.
      pls save from Nigeria

13. nyclawyergirl

July 28, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Nice job with this article….although it barely scratches the surface. That paid maternity leave you speak of is only for those who work with large organizations/companies. Paid maternity leave in the US is very hard to obtain. At least if you live in NY, there is short term disability for mommies to be due to the deduction taken from each paycheck. For those who want to relocate, I suggest you do it the clean way and come ready to hustle. America is not what you see in the movies and the horror of living while undocumented cannot be put to words.

Ogechi OneSavvyDollar

July 29, 2015 at 2:34 am

My dear, had I scratched more than the surface, this would have been a book. But you get the drill. If you’re really a lawyer, then you know more than me on that immigrant issue. It’s a nightmare.

14. Yemi

July 28, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Wow. What a piece. I cannot hear the word ‘America’ and my face won’t light up. It is an opportunity to be in the US, no matter the situation, legally or not cos guess what, you and only you can turn your life around so ergo The Land of Dreams.

Moved to the US about 13 years ago, after first year in Unilag, just like you, so random so unexpected so swift. Never been there before too, only ever travelled to England once on what date, guess 9/11/2001.

I guess that date alone even gave me the favor from the visa lady to grant the visa cos all we spoke about was my experience of 9/11.

Anyhoo, arrived at JFK on a rainy saturday, waited about 6 hours before i even got picked up and even though i arrived in June, for a naija boy oh boy it was cold, Remember going to manhattan in July when i started school, in my sweater, gosh my cousins laughed their asses off.

So, i got picked up my my aunt and 2 random dudes, we first drove to coney island for a party then before going home. One of the dudes was busy talking to his ‘Ngbadas’ on how to transfer his cash advance on his credit card and my aunt said, this is how boys survive here o. Hmmm, i wondered.

It took me a whole year to adjust, that winder in 2003 was harsh, my God. When the wind blows in your face, the tears flow. Gosh this was when i missed my mom. I only attended school mon-thur and the friday was just to sleep. At first the foods were tasteless though i always enjoyed McD breakfast, the egg Mcmuffin, ooohhh

To be fair, i would say i had it easy. Fees were paid, only worked during summer, school internship and one year work experience after graduation. Nonetheless, i get the challenges, i see how people hustled, especially if u no get paper. I wonder myself, what i would have been if i too married ‘an akata’ for papers.
    Its my lack of papers that made me leave, but i left in good circumstances so to always come back is never an issue, but for the future ofcos i would move back in a skip.

I would say i was lucky, my school was in the heart of the city, so i got to travel into Manhattan everyday straight for 2 years. Thats why itis like home to me. America has a special place in my heart.

It made and moulded me and even though i do not live there anymore, its where my heart is. Every year when we travel, even my wife sees the glow in my eyes as we land, how i know every part of New York like the back of my hand….. I can simply say God bless America, my land of dreams.

Anyone who has got the opportnuity to move there, i would say a big yes to move there trust me. It will be the best decision of your life. Yes the weather can be harsh, yes the people there will ask if u got tails between your legs, or if you lived on trees but guess what, live out the first year, you too will survive.

Experience the scenery, drive the Interstates, go over the bridges, walk the main streets and oh my lord, enjoy the foods. The gumbos, jambalayas, burgers, dogs, ribs, pasta, cheesecakes, pulled porks and my all time favorite, IHOP…………

• Naomi

July 28, 2015 at 4:07 pm

i know you Olamide Opeyemi A

• RIFF RAFF

July 28, 2015 at 4:31 pm

[email protected] between your legs and living on trees. My friend’s “american” cousin once asked if we lived with Tarzan…another asked if we knew what a computer is.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 28, 2015 at 6:38 pm

That winter issue, ehhhhhhhh… My father had a temporary stint working outside the country when I was a teenager (hopefully, I don’t get hammered for laying out that fact as context… *side-eyes to all who may be perturbed*) and so the freezing cold – and the deep, deep, nearly all day darkness – shouldn’t have been such a shocking reality when I had to return to it over a decade later for “skuulu”, but the human brain has a way of blanking out such unpleasant details. I became re-acquainted with it in the extremely frigid month of January and for whatever reason, I decided to travel from Naija with two winter coats – one for real comfort, the second for “nyanga” (belted trench tinz). I remember landing in Heathrow and heading to the ladies to start wearing as many tops in my box as I could, all at once. I also wore both coats on top of all those layers. I still couldn’t feel my extremities.

I remember discovering that buses have a particular way of turning up late or never turning up at all on very bad snow days and I would stand at the bus-stop, chilled to the bone and just start crying, asking myself what I was doing in this country. After crying, na to begin calculate whether to continue shivering for at the bus-stop for another 30minutes or enter road begin dey walk go your destination. I always used to joke to my friends that winter is the time when I kick myself for not nabbing a husband during summer so that I can have someone warm to stay snuggled up to later in the year, whether we dey waka for road or siddon inside parlour. (I also always joke that you can tell what couples have been up to during winter by the amount of babies which are born between June and September … *evil grin*)

I remember hating how darkness falls by mid afternoon because the sun is only fully up from around 8am till circa 3pm during winter time (to be honest, I still hate it) and how the season basically lasts from October until nearly June… forget such notions about having Autumn and spring in between. I live in northern Scotland, where it’s been known to snow in May.

And the blackness. It permeates more than just the outside and enters into your very soul. Seasonal Affective Disorder is a real problem, many times you won’t even understand you have it but you feel so down and it’s the weather which has everything to do your depression.

And the dry skin. The hair loss. Chapped lips. Terrible snow storms and cold winds. Heating bills!!!!!… because I cannot come and die of pneumonia abeg…

See ehhn, it takes living outside the country to understand how much God has blessed your fatherland with amazing weather. And the amount of impact changing seasons will have on your mental state when you relocate from a tropical climate to a West European or Northern US one is unreal. The only thing which I’ve ever found positive about winter is the chicness of its seasonal wardrobe – I love the layering up and edginess of winter dressing, so at least I have one comfort which gets me through those months.

• Slice

July 28, 2015 at 11:21 pm

Pls just move to America. Ur place has no proper naija gybed us n has bad weather. I declare America wild treat u better than this 🙂

Ogechi OneSavvyDollar

July 29, 2015 at 2:47 am

@Mz Socially Awkward, Haha! You described winter well.

• Jelly_jes

July 29, 2015 at 8:02 am

Babes u crack me up anytime u post a comment!!

• Blackbeauty

July 28, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Awww……. you made me smile.

Ogechi OneSavvyDollar

July 29, 2015 at 2:36 am

Even your story made my face light up. Thank you for sharing.

15. ken

July 28, 2015 at 4:26 pm

i would love to post this article on my website are you interested, last time i commented with my websites and i didn’t see the comment. pls reply

16. Yemi

July 28, 2015 at 4:57 pm

OK. Who is Naomi???

• Naomi

July 28, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Hmm you really dont wanna know.

17. Californiabawlar

July 28, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Despite her shortcomings, I still have an overwhelming admiration for the United States.

As a realist, knowing that there’s no perfect system anywhere….I’ll still say America is a correct place. I don’t complain about my bills…. I don’t get why people do that ? I think laziness and our get rich quick mentality is where the complaints stem from. How can an adult be complaining that America is too hard cos you have to pay for everything ? If I was in naija won’t i pay rent, nepa bills, buy credit and buy diesel. You complain of taxes, how do you expect your roads fixed and the police paid?

I love Nigeria! I love being in a place I belong…. I miss home…. I miss our culture….but I won’t discourage anyone from trying things out in another country. The world is such a big place…travel!! You can always move back! Don’t deceive yourself or be deceived that America or as ‘the razz nigerian’ will say ‘overseas’ isn’t all that. It is all that and so much more if you know that a change in location has to come with a change in mindset.

My uncle moved 15yrs ago, did a masters, got his paperwork ‘sorted’, worked 2 highly technical jobs in new york at some point, continued getting certifications and improving himself….he now 43, earns $500k a year aside from extra earnings as the part owner of a car dealership, he has two young kids, a wife who’s getting paid as well and a beautiful home. The only way he would be doing better if he stayed in naija would be by fraudulent means…it’s plain and simple.

Will you work your behind off? Yes! Even if you’re school, you will work hard to keep your grades up so you can keep or earn a scholarship, internships and ultimately land a good job. But hardwork never killed nobody. What are you using your strength for? Are younger Nigerians now allergic to hardwork? Abeg.

Me I’m always excited and encouraging when a friend wants to come over o…. That said, my friend got a job offer with a multinational in Lagos just this summer, I helped him pack his load ni sef! Lol. I told him to go and start his career, abeg…you get paid basically the same money as he would here. I bring this up why? There’s no cookie cutter way to live your life, be flexible….just have the mind of an hustler wherever you go!

America was built for and by immigrants…current immigration laws may imply different at the moment but that shouldn’t even deter you….it’s more of how if all things being equal, you can make something of yourself as time goes by.

And to all potential graduate/masters students, get off your lazy behinds and write your GRE! Stop dashing the UK your father’s hard earned money! Hian!! Even if you end up leaving after school, you can’t compare the American experience to that in the UK. Oya sorry for calling you lazy… I love you??

• Jigsaw

July 28, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Awesome comment Californiabawlar…especially the last paragraph regarding the UK. I don’t know how many folks I’ve tried talking out of applying to the UK for grad school

• Jazz

July 28, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Lol @ lazy bums not wanting to write GRE/GMAT. Combining worklife with Lag stress and dem professional qualification stress together and still learning you need some GMAT to get into a decent business school will have you on your way to the UK embassy.
      Please I need advice from someone in the financial services sector in the States, of what value is an ACCA qualification in the US? Are there exemptions for persons converting from chartered accountants to CPAs?

• numommy

July 29, 2015 at 10:27 am

Sorry to disappoint you but you will have to take the CPA 🙁 I recently moved back to Naij from yankee and I have to take the ACCA despite having a CPA license. The struggle is real *hugs*

• Slice

July 28, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Ah sister who u dey for this America n which kain job dey 500k. Na IT abi. See my life o

• slice

July 29, 2015 at 11:05 am

Uh oh I meant where u dey. Pls need the info on the certs

• Californiabawlar

July 29, 2015 at 11:07 am

My sister, No be me oh! Which kain?! Me wey I wan chase chicken change go Alaska just two years ago?! ??? just so we are clear, I an neither in Cali, nor am I a baller…this my user name is just a chance to speak things that are not as though they were…hehehe??

And yeah, it’s IT, plus he’s not a young man and he started this whole thing even before he left Naija… I don’t know sha…shrugs…like I said, not my money.

• chigirl

July 29, 2015 at 12:07 am

Chief, $500K/per annum…… I hail ohh. For where?… silicon valley?, na director for google, oga ju!, that seems a bit exaggerated sha. But i agree with u on everything. America is truly a great country, a land of opportunity. I totally encourage anyone trying to come over especially for school, you’d never ever regret it, its worth it

• Californiabawlar

July 29, 2015 at 11:00 am

Na my money wey i go exaggerate am? Hehehe.

IT. Two Jobs.

I don’t see how that’s mind blowing o…I’ve worked with company men earning 250k in the oil field (when things were good). These guys barely went to school!

As much as I like what I do…na IT i for just jejely do as my uncle encouraged me to growing up….but life happened and here I am….for the heads up, all of una IT people, America is a place for you (if you know your stuff)…worst case scenario, you get a networking or coding and development position with Comcast or a college. ALL my international student friends landed jobs (decent ones too).

• Omolola

July 29, 2015 at 6:54 pm

omg!!! love your comment. I ran to UK for my masters for 2 reasons: 1. Didn’t want to write GRE 2. Just got married and i wanted to finish as early has possible! Yes,i was lazy!!

18. sass

July 28, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Ogeeeee. Great article. One day I too shall go to Amrica

19. Wunmmie

July 28, 2015 at 6:19 pm

I guess it is always good to put things in perspective and have a balanced view. Be it America, UK or Canada, there is no country without its own uniqueness (Merit and Demerit). @ Ogechi, i wuld have expected a balanced composition, regardless i enjoyed the part where you chipd in the info that Western world is not bed of roses, hence people should prepare there mind ahead of challenges they might hv to contend with. Relocation isnt a nightmare, neither shld it be seen as a wonder land, the more prepared you are to man up to the challenges, the better, but it does have its own numerous benefits, which i cannot begin to quantify

I used to work to in a Bank in NG, leaving home for office 5am and only to be back home sometimes 11pm, what impression do you think i still hv abt my country, meanwhile i work in a Bank here from 8am to 4pm, which mindset do you think ive got abt my new country of residency? . NG isnt cold, but there is a cold period here, shld that be a reason for viewing relocation from a bad light? Regardless of your school of thought, staying back home or relocating, the most important thing is that, it is personal and have it well mapped out.

20. usdollar

July 28, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Hi,I’m about to marry someone who lives in the US..and he wants to file for me-spousal visa..how long does this take excatly?I’m abit worried

• @usdollar

July 29, 2015 at 5:04 pm

@usdollar

Just have this person file fiance visa instead, it is a much faster process than spousal visa

21. anonymous

July 28, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Please, how about France? is that a bad idea?

• ladoblingy

July 28, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Paris is always a good idea *wink

22. Blackbeauty

July 28, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Pardon me for going off topic, where is Isio? Is she taking one of those breaks again? lol.

23. annie

July 28, 2015 at 10:51 pm

well i guess everyone has there reasons for moving to a different country. i never thought i would but somehow fate brought me here. i believe i am here for a reason to grow myself. yes you have to work hard, that is essential if you want to be successful. i definitely wont be writing any success stories yet cos my best is yet to be seen.

24. annie

July 28, 2015 at 11:19 pm

FYI Nigerian lawyers if you’re looking to take the bar exam in USA, Texas has now adjusted their laws and aligned it to that of New York. Yes a foreign lawyer can now take the Texas bar exam subject to some rules one of which is obtaining an LLM degree in an ABA approved school.(USA or CANADA). You can do your research.

25. annie

July 28, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Bellanaija is there a reason why you never post my comments.?

26. Tunmi

July 28, 2015 at 11:37 pm

I love Nigeria and I admire the US. I came here in June 2003 and I was cold, in summer. I can laugh about it now. I was still in secondary school then, 11 years old in JS2. My coming here was pure luck. My aunt had been living here, and she and my mum did the paperwork for my grandma to come. My grandma spoke no English and I was nominated to come since my mum had helped raise my aunt’s kids. And I was the more academically-inclined one. And we were not ajebota, at all. While I was in Nigeria, we lived in Mushin and my folks currently live in a similar place.

The weather shock is something else. And my favorite season is winter, for practical reasons. No flies, mosquitoes, moths, dragonflies, bees, yellow jackets, cicadas or what have you. And I get to dress up in coats, scarves, gloves, and boots. And can’t forget that lip balm. And of course, sleeping with a blanket, and drinking hot chocolate whether made with cocoa powder or a mix. ????

The education system is also different. There are free public schools and some public schools are just as competitive as private schools, especially if they have special programs such as Project Lead The Way, Science & Tech, Performing Arts School, etc. I was placed in the 5th grade so I got to experience Elementary school, middle school, and high school, and I loved it. I was a great student, and I had teachers who were willing to support me academically. I joined clubs and eagerly participated in class and clubs. I was the smart one in my classes, and that came in handy for letters of recommendation, and little jobs here and there.

I came in on a visitor’s visa and in high school, I found out that I was undocumented. My life really has been a series of fortunate events. My high school soccer coach helped me, and she has continued to help me. I went to community college, got some scholarships (delegate scholarship, speech competitions, academic contests, Esperanza) even as an undocumented student, worked several jobs (babysitting, cleaning houses, braiding, tutoring), and enjoyed the process. I still took classes (not at the same pace as everyone else) and participated in clubs. Then I got Deferred Action (for undocumented people who meet certain criteria) and I got my work permit. I learned to drive a stick shift, and now I’m getting my bachelors degree with some more scholarships and still working.

What I have learned is that America has a way of showing you what you are made of. The biggest takeaway is to be humble and be sincere, and to adopt a realistic and positive outlook. If I were to take a negative perspective, then the truth is that I am technically homeless. But if I change my perspective, then the truth is also that I have people in my corner who look out for me. And try to smell the roses. Even with that late bus, and the panic about monthly payment for tuition, try to enjoy the things that are going well. Have friends, oh please have genuine friends. Friends who can help you forgot your worries, or help you find a job under the table, if need be. Form genuine relationships with people.

Things could always get worse, but with where you are now, what can you do? And ask for help. As a student, professors really want students to ask for help. And learn a skill, whether it be braiding, tailoring, barbing, carpentry, do something and so it well. I am fortunate for being sent here, this amount of independence really suits my personality (INTJ) so it worked out for me. I am definitely glad my parents sent me here because it would have been even more difficult if all 4 of us were home (well, 6 with 2 step brothers). To get an understanding of it, I make more than my folks make, and I’m working as a hair braider and tutor.

TL:DR hard work pays in the US, and there are many opportunities.

Ogechi OneSavvyDollar

July 29, 2015 at 2:43 am

Good for you Tunmi, I’m glad you’re creating your own opportunities!

27. Ijebu Boy

July 29, 2015 at 2:39 am

Yemi’s Experience is my experience except mine was set in DC. I didnt move back to Naija but i left Yankee. I remain fond of the States though, i made some of my best memories there.

28. Rsillah

July 29, 2015 at 5:24 am

Very nice article!

29. Nelly

July 29, 2015 at 7:37 am

I just got to the USA for my masters a few days ago. I trust it will be a good experience.

30. prayergirl

July 29, 2015 at 8:24 am

Middle East! Dubai is my place of choice. If you like call it Nigerias backyard. Everything is so easy here its unbelievable. The western world and europe is not for me.I choose to have less stress in my life abeg.

31. Kingsley

July 29, 2015 at 9:33 am

With 3rd class certificate,goelogy in nigeria..can I do my pg in america with it

• Californiabawlar

July 29, 2015 at 11:29 am

Write your GRE, aim to get a perfect score like your life depended on it….apply to schools in Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Florida, maybe California….contact the professors, email and CALL to make sure they got all your application materials.

The US does not have PG, just straightup Masters. They don’t care about your class, just your gpa, and about that, you have to include a paragraph in your statement of purpose saying the low gpa is not a true reflection of your abilities and knowledge of geology. Apart from your high gre score well composed statement of purpose and emails will be your best make up for a low gpa. Everything for this America much lune Lagos, is packaging…so bros, package yasef well…airtight, like onion….(i drift…i drift??)

On your knowledge of geology, please go to Ikeja under bridge or Obalende to pick up good physical geology, historical geology textbooks (a good one that combines both, e.g. Earth, will work) and a sedimentology textbook. You need to have a good background with fundamental geological concepts to thrive in grad school, otherwise it’ll be an expensive repetition of undergrad….

All the best!

• slice

July 29, 2015 at 7:40 pm

An I.T or nursing is calling u if u want the fast money

32. Kingsley

July 29, 2015 at 9:51 am

Graguated with 3rd class in geology..ps do I hv any chance of doing my pg in any college in nweyork

33. Kingsley

July 29, 2015 at 9:53 am

I mean newyork

34. gini

July 29, 2015 at 10:19 am

i seem to be the only one who hasn’t crossed naija border here! everyone here has a story to tell about yankee, omashe ooo,when will it get to my turn?

35. babybaby

July 29, 2015 at 11:18 am

Please can someone also write an article on migrating to Canada. Thank you.

36. Philip

July 29, 2015 at 1:52 pm

pls for people that travel to newyork on invitation and want to reside there…is it possible for them to apply to colleges frm thr..pls can u I get some info of some colleges in newyork one can aply to if it’s possible..thanks

37. somewhereinTEXAS

July 29, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Lol at the weather part.
    .. And some places are so HOT you’ll think naija’s heat is child’s play. It’s always funny to me when my family comes to Texas .. The first thing that catches them off guard is the heat.

High for today in Dallas is 102°F that’s 38.9°c for u ppl used to Celsius. Lol

• true

July 29, 2015 at 3:03 pm

True, that’s a DRY heat too. Feels hotter than tropical heat.

38. Anonymous

July 29, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Like any country in this world, America has its own merits and demerits. What i find very interesting and hypocritical about Nigerians in general is the small-mindedness in their attitudes towards living abroad.

Yes, you cannot cut corners, Yes you pay bills but guess what you see where your money is coming from and going to as long as you are honest and hardworking. I find it very interesting when folks come over from Nigeria and complain about the lack of security, basic amenities and dire level of poverty and yet they say ‘Ko si ibi to da bi ile’ (There’s no place like home). So u tell me all these negatives about Nigeria and yet want me to move back. I say BullSHIT……

Why should i leave America and come to a place where in my house, i am my own President, Governor, Chief of Secuirty, Minister for Electricity, Water, and Gas, Petroleum Minister and Pastor. You have to have guard dogs, Mallam, High wired fences, bore hole or well, Generator etc. Then you have to have at least 3 different Pastors, Wolis, or Jazzman (whatever u believe in) for protection against spiritual forces (let me not even start on this one). All these i am sure cost a bloody fortune…..

Be that as it may, if God has opportuned you to leave Nigeria, be it America or else where, i say do not look back. There is a reason why u left. Joseph left and he became Prime Minister in a foreign land. Abraham had to be seperated from Lot before he could prosper.

I rest my case.

• ChUch

August 4, 2015 at 11:16 am

I support you all the anonymous! I don’t know what I’ve done to BN. She never posts my responses. Diariz Godoooo

39. prince

July 29, 2015 at 6:09 pm

No matter how worst a state in America is, it can never be compared to the best state in Nigeria. Believe me when I say, it is far better there than here. Once you’re not one of those that spends too much, our Naija people sure know how to save when they’re there bcos they know how many mountains and seas they crossed.

America is an amazing place to live considering their standards and opportunity to do so many things with your lives rather than being tied down by a job here in Naija

40. xag

July 29, 2015 at 6:49 pm

America is for those who are willing and mentally able to get a re-educate and re-certify themselves and go ahead and compete in that market. The younger you are the easier it is to adjust. Nigeria and Africa however have their benefits. If you make a lot of money in the West, you can’t do wrong by making blue chip stock investments or property investments which are much cheaper in Africa and can serve as a source of finance for your foreign existence. The greatest opportunity Nigeria offers is the ability to buy land and build your own home without having to slave thirty years to pay a mortgage. I can’t imagine living every month in fear of mortgage payments and knowing that the day you get sacked you have to start looking for a new job to secure your future and avoid homelessness. America is a land of debt, you owe the government and the corporations and you have to start running ahead of the clock the moment you land. Hard work however is rewarded at the end of the day. With 20 million naira in Nigeria, you can build a house and run a supermarket and never starve for as long as you live if you wish. Nigerian life is easy once small money is there. America is not for loafers.

41. xag

July 29, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Like someone said above earlier as well, if you’re ready to work hard and you want to do a Master’s abroad choose the United States, it might be more difficult but at the end of the day its worth it and can hold its own anywhere from Canada to Australia, the U.K and the Middle East. Avoid the U.K easy route, where they chop your money and tell you bye-bye. For professional careers the U.S is best.

42. Philip

July 29, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Pls I ask again..is it possible for somebody dt come to newyork with invitation to apply to colleges 2ru thr..I want to kw the names of the colleges in newyork dt can gv me admision with invitation..

• Lola

July 30, 2015 at 7:48 am

Expatiate please. Do you mean : with a tourist visa,apply for school or start school?if its just to apply yes you can. You could use the opportunity to see the school, be there directly etc.If your application is successful, then you can apply for a student visa,please note this is the only visa that can allow you to study in the States.! No school will give you admission with invitation!its not possible! To be given admission you need to meet certain criteria. Ever heard of i-20? google is your friend.

43. Miniscule

October 7, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Hi Ogechi, great write up. Is there an email address I can reach you on ? Thank you

44. Son

February 29, 2016 at 6:52 am

Please I want to apply for US visa, how can I get a job I am undocumented an what kin , job could that be, secondly, what level of education can I start with my OND?

45. Anonymous

February 1, 2018 at 5:19 am

Hi. I’m a young female fresh graduate. I’ve been considering relocating to the US with a visiting visa with the aim of looking for work and permanent stay. I have no money or plans of studying. Is it advisable?