Scoop

Will you be Watching? Taraji P. Henson’s Character May Get an ‘Empire’ Spinoff Series

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

cookies-best-one-liners-8_610x464_46Cookie Lyon, played by 44-year-old Taraji P. Hensen, is definitely a character favourite from Lee Daniels’ hit series ‘Empire’.

It has now been revealed that she is getting her very own series spinoff, off the Empire story line.

Taraji-P-Henson-x-Jezebel-Magazine-3-700x840

The announcement was made on stage at the Empire panel held during the Fox portion of the 2015 Summer TCA Tour on Thursday (August 6) in Beverly Hills, Calif.

Taraji was joined on stage by the show’s executive producers Lee Daniels, Brian Grazer, and Ilene Chaiken.

During the panel Lee Daniels is reported to have said “There is going to be a spinoff from Empire, without question. There’s so much ripe story that we’ve talked about already— about Cookie’s family, what makes her her. That in itself is fascinating to me.”

He elaborated that the spin-off would be a quasi-prequel that delves into Cookie’s upbringing in North Philadelphia. “Here Cookie is now, but how did she get to where she’s at right now? Let’s go back and understand her mother, her sisters…. Let’s understand the makings of her…  It’d be like a prequel.”

Are you excited about this?

1. Zebulum

August 7, 2015 at 6:48 pm

The beginning of the end

• Corolla

August 7, 2015 at 8:25 pm

You took the words right out of my mind.

• dedun

August 8, 2015 at 12:59 am

rightly said. just like the originals is better than vdiaries.. spin offs will triumph main show. why couldnt they do throwbacks on the main show itself? greed is bad o.

2. bruno fierce

August 7, 2015 at 7:27 pm

milking it for all its worth.

they are going to over do this cookie character and they will eventually turn people off.

this is something the trashy kardashians will do.

they should wait let empire run its course and end before they do a spin off, just like breaking bad. the spin off of breaking bad is better call saul.that show is so amazing and funny. I love that show better call saul. its about that yeye lawyer called saul before he met walter white. pls I strongly recommend this particular show “better call saul” I promise u, u wont be disappointed. u will be left entertained.

3. Beeeee

August 7, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Why would they want to do a spin off for Cookie when the Empire revolves around Cookie. I will file this under ” so false”…… It makes no sense

4. martins

August 7, 2015 at 7:30 pm

beautiful film,I really love it,can’t wait for the season 2.

5. cleo

August 7, 2015 at 8:34 pm

A spin off wont be bad. Her growing up, her father, her mother, her life in prison, her marriage to Lucious and her sisters. I would watch it

6. Naomi

August 7, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Hmm. They better dwell on her time in jail, seeing as someone fresh from prison she is quite forgiving of a husband who never visited her. If she has any old contacts from her past, from jail, how she n lucious met and started empire.

7. Marcy

August 7, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Not without Taraji! If anyone deserves to benefit from her own hard-work it’s Taraji. Many TV bloggers agreed it was disrespectful of Lee D to even suggest that the character is so viable that she deserves a spin off without suggesting Taraji herself as lead! Taraji’s name and promotion built Empire and made the character iconic. She deserves to play out her own backstory on the show the way they have done for Terrence Howard. She’s the one with the nomination. Some are noticing Lee D seems jealous of Taraji post success of the first season. He used her established name draw and credentials to promote the show so he shouldn’t be surprised! But Lee D. doesn’t have the greatest track record with Black Actresses, just ask Monique what he tried to do to her!

8. jide

August 7, 2015 at 10:22 pm

Only one season and they are ready too jinx the whole thing? Lmao. Take out all the gay scenes, who gives a rats ass about empire? America is just intrigued by the new on-screen gay acceptance. Abeg.

9. jinkelele

August 7, 2015 at 10:50 pm

The beginning of the end of EMPIRE, barely got the second season off and they are talking about a spin-off

I only watch for Cookies character…and Terrence Howard’s acting , the other themes are way played out too much victim in Smollet’s character. And other plots were just becoming tiring.

10. Californiabawlar

August 7, 2015 at 11:07 pm

I’ll watch…too many battyman vibes on Empire anyways…maybe this one will cater to straight folk and lesbians ?

Lol…jk. But really, if not for supporting my fellow black peoples, I won’t even be tuning into this new season. I have a feeling I won’t last past a few episodes though.

11. MJD

August 8, 2015 at 9:55 am

I really think this ‘Empire’ is overrated. I personally prefer ‘Power’ now that’s a Tv Show.

• oma charlez

August 8, 2015 at 1:21 pm

For a minute there, I thought I was the only one! Give me POWER executive produced by 50 cents and I wouldn’t even dream of Empire! Ghost, kana an, tash, ….. are amazing characters…. The script has more depth than Empire. … I love TYRANT also…….wonderful series *just saying*

• Mocha

August 10, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Tyrant and Power!!!! Yes!!!

12. Girlbeingreal

August 8, 2015 at 11:02 am

I hope they can keep up the pace. Season one many things were happening so fast. Now they are talking about a spinoff. That’s a very risky move. Now do they have the writers and team to pull it off. We will find out…