Music

“I’ve Been Called the Beyoncé of Africa” – South African Singer Lira Covers Glam Africa’s Newest Issue

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

South African singer Lira is the cover star of the Autumn 2015 edition of Glam Africa magazine while Sleek makeup ambassador Priscilla Agboada is also featured on the beauty cover.

In the magazine, Lira talks about her rise as an electrifying singer, songwriter, model and actress with more than a decade in the music industry. Lira explains that she has often been called the Beyoncé of Africa and that she is trying to be the best version of herself that she can be.

2 3 4

Priscilla Agboada, Sleek Makeup’s ambassador, talks about winning at Sleek’s Model & Makeup Search competition and gives some beauty tips.

According to the Editor Sharon Ojong, “After months of basking in heat and humidity, enjoying and partying at summer festivities, the air has become crisp and it feels like the right time to make changes – put away the sun block and bikinis, pick up some new pieces for this season and indulge in this autumn’s fashion. Among the many GLAM style features of this edition, we spend a day with UK based sister group – ShiiKane, had a one on one interview with Africa Fashion Week London and Nigeria founder, Ronke Ademiluyi, chilled with 8 year old African artist, Ozzy Bosco, and we spotlight 10 Fashion Bloggers from Africa influencing the world of fashion. Our lifestyle section offers inspiration to help you get back to the grind after the summer binge, how to make a reluctant man commit and we also discuss some of the outrageous fashion and beauty trends”.

5 6 7 9

COVER CREDIT

Photography by Cloee Photography
Styling by Crystal Deroche
Styling assistant: Lisa Chiriwa
Makeup by Brenda Shonibare of Breelliant
Retouching by Vincenzo Vocale

1. Beeeee

September 23, 2015 at 12:04 pm

As much as i hate the comparison of African artists to their American counterparts……Beyonce of Africa? And I have never heard about you? Maybe my fellow BNers have heard about this young lady.

• Oh Well!!!

September 23, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Please hush!!!! Lira is well known for her talent, and not a gossip blog magnet.

Lira is a better singer/performer than any naija female out right now!!!
      Did u read the article at all??? Sade was also mentioned.
      FYI folks – Lira has performed on stage with Beyonce, Bono, U2, stevie wonder, etc…when will yemi alade & tiwa savage???

Naija singers copy beyonce and still wont get such acclaim or comparison that Lira will get!!!! Btw- beyonce herself had good things to say about Lira and was honoured to share the stage with her.

• Beeeee

September 23, 2015 at 7:42 pm

All these children that are on holidays from school are now free to waste their parents wifi… Is it by force to know her. I said I don’t know her. There was no insult in my comment whatsoever. Please go and do your Sallah holiday homework. Monday is not far.

• T

September 23, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Lol calm tf down. I don’t even know who this lira is and believe me, it’s not ignorance speaking. Just take it easy with the attack

• Tosin

September 24, 2015 at 7:33 am

Lira’s music (i have an old album of hers) is really really good. not sure where she’s been hiding, and nope i don’t like Beyonce’s music AT ALL, but yeah. Lira is a superstar, she has it.

o come let us adore…

2. goddessofvictory

September 23, 2015 at 12:08 pm

“I have been called the Beyonce of Africa” by who please?

• Mz Titilitious

September 23, 2015 at 1:15 pm

i donno o

3. Tari

September 23, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Being called Beyonce of Africa is not actually a compliment.
    I did not expect such a dumb comment from a lady I respect like Lira.

4. Busarni

September 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Hian!!!, Is it a Validation?

5. ajikoko

September 23, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Beyonce of Zulu Kingdom…We are all unique. Be you

6. papermoon

September 23, 2015 at 12:50 pm

…..and I call you “the ONLY LIRA from Africa”…..

7. Bella

September 23, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Na wa o , Beyoncé of where? Abeg what is all this fixation about Beyoncé? Yes, she is a very talented artist but why take away from yourself to be likened to something or someone else. We are African, can we be likened to other Great African Artists! Not hating but dang, can we chill a little on Bey! And I have been introduced to this lady’s music and some other artists from the southern side of the continent too, but for me she is alright, but I there are more talented females from her country, I believe Zonke, Judith Sephuma, Thandiswa Mazwai have been on the Jazz line ups – they are way better and more talented!

8. maame k

September 23, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Beyonce of Africa ko,Beyonce of Africa ni..madam be yourself okayyyy#youarebeautifulLIRA#

9. Le coco

September 23, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Beyonce if Africa my black nyansh…. I will give her that she super talented.. lira is one of south Africa’s best artists.. BT Beyonce? You don’t look.. dress or even sound like Beyonce… lira is more of a soulful type of singer.. I wld compare her to or maybe even India air or eryka badu. Although they too are different… lira I’m glad you are showcasing more of your sexy side… you were incredibly modest before( which isn’t a bad thing).. but I like your new look

10. bn lover

September 23, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Beyonce of Africa indeed! Shey that’s all you want to live for…..to live in the shadow of another. Can’t you be an original copy of you? Jeezzzz please just be you! Moreover I have never heard of you!!!

11. Ebere

September 23, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Say what!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Bisi

September 23, 2015 at 1:38 pm

We have so many Beyonce of Africa nowadays lool

13. ANGELA

September 23, 2015 at 1:43 pm

By who? And I don’t even know you. Beyoncé doesn’t even know you exist.
    Maybe you are only popular in your country.
    Beyoncé of Africa ko! Rihanna of Asia ni!
    Abeg! Let us hear jare. #Iranu

14. Chizoba

September 23, 2015 at 1:58 pm

They call you Beyonce of Africa, in what aspect hun?

My dear biko stop lying, just say that you refer to yourself as that b/c I don’t see anything that you both have.

Why is it that Africans find it difficult to be unique? Anything they do, they will try to copy the Europeans. How many times have the Europeans try to copy Africans?

I pledge to be on point the day Beyonce will say “PEOPLE CALL ME TIWA SAVAGE OF AMERICA”

Rihanna will say “PEOPLE CALL ME SEYI SHAY OF BARBADOS/AMERICA”

Kim Kardashian will say “PEOPLE CALL ME ZARI HASSAN OF AMERICA”

Till then. #OkBye

15. Kenechukwu

September 23, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Beyonce of Africa???
    Don’t even allow Kanye West to get you else he will be like “IMMA LET YOU FINISH LIRA BUT YOU DON’T LOOK LIKE BEYONCE”??????

• Natu

September 23, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Lol Kanye will loose it

16. Thibza

September 23, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Ah I love the comments! Africans should stop taking pride in being likened to western artists, politicians, etc.

17. Eme

September 23, 2015 at 3:31 pm

You guys should bread the full interview before commenting haba. here is what she actually said, thank me later
    You have been described as the Sade and Beyonce of Africa, but how do you feel about that? “Being compared to two of the most memorable acts of our time is a great compliment. I love Sade, the best quality in her music is that it is timeless and trendless. I have been called the Beyonce of Africa because of the size and quality of the stage performances I have put up, similar to hers … being compared to two of the most memorable acts of our time is a great compliment”

18. Eme

September 23, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Kai una wicked ooo, i like Lira but that headline isnt right. I’ve typed the full part of tthe interview,, you can read it on the magazine’s webiste.

19. Alert!

September 23, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Babes..you not even close..not in any way.! Really!! I rather choose to appreciate people and talent for who they simply are, and not by comparison to another celebrity

20. Concerned_Boyfriend

September 23, 2015 at 4:19 pm

I’m not surprised why so many of you were quick to disparage her. Lira is world renowned artist. If you’ a music enthusiast like me and not a bigotted Afrobeat fan, you would agree with that comparison. Simply because you have not heard of her does not take away her talent and popularity.

• ehn?

April 7, 2016 at 4:11 am

who are all these people calling her world renown and famous? I’ve asked everyone I know and they don’t know her, how is she world renown when people dunno her mbok? who is she? she says she has put on performances as big as beyonces? ehn? and most people still haven’t heard of her, how is that possible? abegi.

21. ty

September 23, 2015 at 6:56 pm

ask yourself….. how many countries know me if you need to compare yourself to a world known artist. believe me if Nigerians dont know you and your an African artist or performer you are not their yet. Nigerians are the best hyped announcer in Africa. because you control the stage in your country doesnt mean you can compare yourself to the world known. next interview you can choose people like ciara, keyisha cole which by the way they are known too. but may not sell out around the world.

22. T

September 23, 2015 at 10:43 pm

She’s Beyonce of Africa lol, ya’ll let her be. I’m me of Africa ?

23. Tosin

September 25, 2015 at 6:21 am

all day yesterday i played these three albums three or four times: Lira (Feel Good), Chance / Donny Trumpet (Surf), and D’Angelo (B Messiah). Thank you God for perfect days.