News

Muslim Flight Attendant in US Placed on ‘Administrative Leave’ for Refusing to Serve Alcohol

BellaNaija.com

Muslim Attendant

A Muslim flight attendant who works with American airline, ExpressJet, has been placed on administrative leave, following her refusal to serve alcoholic drinks to passengers.

The attendant, Charee Stanley, said her refusal to serve alcohol was in due to her Islamic faith, CNN reports.

Upon receiving news about her mandatory leave, Stanley proceeded to file “a discrimination complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on Tuesday for the revocation of a reasonable religious accommodation.”

Speaking on the issue, Lena Masri, an attorney with Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations said, What this case comes down to is no one should have to choose between their career and religion and it’s incumbent upon employers to provide a safe environment where employees can feel they can practice their religion freely.”

Reports also state that Stanley, 40, started working for ExpressJet nearly about years ago. About two years ago she converted to Islam. She later on learned this year that her faith prohibits her from not only consuming alcohol but serving it, too.

It was based on this premise that she refused to serve alcohol. She subsequently approached her supervisor on June 1 and was told to work out an arrangement for someone to fulfill passenger requests for alcohol.

According to reports the arrangement was working until another flight attendant filed a complaint against Stanley on August 2nd, claiming she was not fulfilling her duties by refusing to serve alcohol.

Photo Credit: CNN

1. Gracee

September 7, 2015 at 1:41 pm

SMH
    Guess i dont know what to say here…..

• Mohammad

September 7, 2015 at 4:39 pm

What is the difference between this fundamentalist and the other one that refuses to do her job in the civil service and refuse to marry gay people because of her christian religious beliefs?

Oya all of you that support Kim Davis should come and explain to me. Her Jesus, apparently told her so, but he didn’t have anything to say about her three divorces and four marriages.

• Daft comparison

September 7, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Oga mumu, Kim Davies was not a Christian when she was busy divorcing and re marrying, it is stated anywhere you see a piece on that issue. She found Christ with her last husband and has been married to him for 19 years, so technically you have no point in pointing Kim Davies out. Besides when she took the job at the registry, there was nothing like GAY MARRIAGE in America. You and I know that gay marriage became legal two months ago in all states, so yes she has a right. When she took the job about 26 years ago, there was nowhere that stated she might or will be giving licenses to gay couples now or in the future!

• Jane

September 7, 2015 at 6:57 pm

At first, I read your comment and I thought you were making sense,by making a comparison of both of them fighting for their faith. Then you end your comment by judging the christian lady for her past sins. Who made you her judge? What of the Muslim lady? Why didn’t you probe her history? You don’t want anybody to disrespect Islam and tenents but you do it to disrepute other religions. Please stop the hypocrisy. It’s getting tiring.

• Mohammad

September 7, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Look who is calling someone mumu!

So you think it is ok for someone to use their personal religion to deny citizens the service that they are entitled to by law?

What happens when someone whose religion dictates that women should not drive cars refuse to give you or female members of your family drivers’ licences because their God told them so? You, my friend need to think again.

• BlueEyed

September 8, 2015 at 6:57 am

@Daft comparison u are the misinformed person here. In Kim Davies job description she is expected to give marriage licenses to Individuals permitted by the state under the law. Her job is subject to the law and as it is her religion is also subject to the law of the land.
      On this post it is a non-issue, human beings under the guise of religion have been showing their gullibility and selfishness.

• Mohammad

September 8, 2015 at 10:38 am

Jane, if you read to understand, you will realise that what I was trying to highlight was the hypocrisy of allowing oneself to marry multiple times yet prevent other people from doing so when they have a legal right to.

Despite what your prejudice might lead you to conclude, I am atheist and your reactionary, poorly-thought out response to what you considered a specifically anti-christian bias (because you assume I didn’t call out the muslim lady on her past) shows you to have a chip on your shoulder. I am an equal-opportunities secularist. Geddit?! No religion in the public sphere!

• Annalise Keating

September 8, 2015 at 7:13 am

Just wanted to chip in from a Muslim’s perspective. This is also replying to a comment down about why people are still converting to Islam despite the negativity surrounding it and in light of recent events.

I’m a post 9/11 Muslim revert. The only performing Muslim in my family. I didn’t do it for a man or to fulfil some romantic Lawrence of Arabia fantasy. I dress modestly, though no hijab. I listen to Marilyn Monson and watch SouthPark. I don’t each pork nor drink alcohol and I don’t miss my 5 daily prayers. I reverted on my own about 10 years ago. Believe it or not, there are many more people like me you haven’t met.

Now to the issue at hand. New reverts can be overzealous sometimes, hence the initial gra gra. The right thing to do was start job hunting immediately after converting. I was once broke I walked to a hospital to have an operation in July. In that time, I never applied to a bar. Although it’s just been God but somehow I’ve been doing fine.

In summary, it’s obvious her colleagues are quite malicious. Probably lashing back based on something else she did. I have non Muslim friends who make sacrifices for me once in a while to fit into my lifestyle.

2. Ermm

September 7, 2015 at 1:54 pm

But if it’s part of her job description… She should quit and find another one where she doesn’t have to serve alcohol…Shikena…

3. JAY

September 7, 2015 at 2:04 pm

THEY DONT DRINK ALCOHOL BUT THEY DRINK BLOOD…….HMM

• ATL's finest

September 7, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Haha lmao! That’s mean. But didn’t she know alcohol was part of the training? She should ve stopped before heading to the final stage of becoming a flight attendant.

• Ogo

September 7, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Maybe you are right! It is little blood supply to brain that made you type this insensitive comment

• Royalty

September 7, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Hahaha! Very funny asshole! I’m sure you were there when “they” were drinking the blood. Like seriously, education is not working for some people oh, all these ignorant people everywhere. Smh…mtchewww. Abeg, take several seats Felicia.

• jide

September 7, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Don’t mind her. People like this would gain more respect and credibility if they were in the frontline protesting against ISIS etc.

• Hadi

September 8, 2015 at 1:07 pm

I am a Muslim and I find your comment extremely insulting. I am appalled that your comment was posted by BN too. Yo are rude, insensitive and clearly a bigot ??

4. Ladym

September 7, 2015 at 2:10 pm

As in. Na real smh.

5. lelabyrinthe

September 7, 2015 at 2:16 pm

You were recruited as a flight attendant and the job description involves serving both alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks. The most rational thing to do is resign since your new found faith restricts you from performing your functions to full capacity.
    What is it with mixing religion and sentiments with business???

• nene

September 8, 2015 at 10:32 am

gbam.

6. m

September 7, 2015 at 2:21 pm

She should be sacked, she shouldn’t have taken the job if she loved her beliefs. Abeg

7. Onetallgirl

September 7, 2015 at 2:22 pm

You know that serving alcohol is part of the job, if you don’t want to serve alcohol, quit the job now! Wahala over nothing! (Kmt

8. Lol

September 7, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Okay. But girl why would you become a flight attendant? When you know you have to serve alcohol.

9. Ibinabo

September 7, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Why is this even NEWS? the sensible thing to do is RESIGN… Shey, dem glue her to the job ni?

10. Ebony Alabi

September 7, 2015 at 2:40 pm

You cannot impose your faith on others, particularly in circumstances where you are expected to carry out perfectly reasonable tasks. We would all like to cherry pick the roles and responsibilities within our employment but it doesn’t work like that does it? Can a cleaner tell their employer ‘I no fit clean toilet again’ because of their ‘beliefs/scruples’? Go find another job then! Over sabi. Nobody sent her. And God knows if I was a colleague…I would not have it.

• Ebony Alabi

September 7, 2015 at 2:48 pm

BTW…this is nothing against Muslims or the practices of Islam. Also…probably need a bit more information on whether it was a request put forward from an employee…and how the company dealt with it…or she point blank refused at the time she was directly dealing with a customer who requested alcohol…which is a completely different situation…

11. Braimo

September 7, 2015 at 2:42 pm

I am sick and tired of all these people who take jobs then decide my holy book says I cannot perform this part of the job. Then quit! That’s all. Guess what, everyone doesn’t subscribe to your beliefs so why should they be punished for your beliefs.

12. oddy

September 7, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Nawa………did she not read the job description before taking the job.

13. livingstone

September 7, 2015 at 2:51 pm

she should quit the job then…………..

14. bashebony

September 7, 2015 at 2:58 pm

@Jay, I don’t believe you know what you’re saying, but whatever it is, ask your God for forgiveness for your comment lacks wisdom! Thank you….
    @ BN, pls whatever happens to vetting of comments before posting or is it only when the comment is coming from yours truly that it undergoes that fate.

15. Bella

September 7, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Common sense is clearly not so common lately, my dear if you read your job specifications and its requirements, why are you here again making noise for our heads. Leave the job and find something else that has NO alcohol servings requirements. What is all this lately? Everybody wants their 15 minutes of fame, abeggiii. Lucky they put you on admin leave, if it was my company, I would fire you on the spot! Arrant nonsense!!

16. NIRA

September 7, 2015 at 3:12 pm

I don’t get why the world loves unnecessary drama; if your religion forbids alcohol and your job description demands that you serve alcohol, please resign and find another job. Same thing I said about the clerk that refused to give gay couple the marriage licence. Resign and stop all this drama. Well, in this case, this noise will definitely help her get another job somewhere else, so I guess she knows what she’s doing.

17. Finally!Finally

September 7, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Abeg park well, u no read ur JD b4 u apply, like say am a call girl and don’t s*x mschewwwww

18. Author Unknown

September 7, 2015 at 3:43 pm

When will people start to realise that it’s not about them? Just like the state clerks that refused to issue marriage licences to same-sex couples. Does she realise that the alcohol consuming passengers are the reason she has a job in the first place? Stubborn without sense.

19. ElessarisEllendil

September 7, 2015 at 3:53 pm

I’m just here wondering! Emirates serve alcohol, so wetin come be her own?? she’s clearly an attention seeker.

20. deb

September 7, 2015 at 3:55 pm

It’s just like taking up a job of prostitution&saying you can’t have sex. Why are you on the road in the first place? Are u a statute?. The job of an air hostess is that of a corporate maid. You serve people what they want.

21. Princess

September 7, 2015 at 4:31 pm

I think her religious stance should be respected. But wasn’t the terms and conditions of the job read to or given to her? If it clearly states in the terms of agreement that she’ll be serving alcohol, then they are justified, else this makes sense.

22. funmi

September 7, 2015 at 4:37 pm

@jay like really…..that is a very dumb comment

23. S

September 7, 2015 at 5:00 pm

When see finish has entered christians matter! The muslim one got suspended and even has the right to sue but rather than fire the christian clerk in Kentucky, they threw her in jail. It’s sad how christians are becoming the new marginalized crew. Just the other day I saw a christian preacher and a muslim preacher on both sides of the road at Eaton center and noticed that people only had the guts to attack the christian preacher. I guess fear of bombing retaliation is greater than fear of just talk.

• Mohammad

September 7, 2015 at 5:40 pm

If you don’t know what you speak, don’t spout your ignorance. The difference between this case and the Kim Davis one is that Kim Davis is an elected official, not an employee, per say and what she was doing was not only refusing marriage certificates as mandated by the Supreme Court of the U.S., she was actively preventing her deputies from doing it. Flouting the law of the land is an offence punishable by jail time, on the other hand refusing to do your duties as mandated by your job description is left entirely to the employers, who will have to take into account employment law and other legal angles.

Try to think before talking. Speak the truth. Religious fundamentalism of all kinds is bad and the sooner we can remove religion from the public sphere, the better.

• S

September 10, 2015 at 1:55 am

Now who is showing their ignorance. In this case, she found religion after the job and refused to follow the job description or as some pointed out, her coworkers sabotaged her plan around it. Either ways, she was only suspended and even has the right to sue. Kim Davis found religion before this law was passed recently and apparently according to someone who replied you earlier, she found religion after making some major life “religious sins”. Either ways, they both used religion as their excuse not to do their jobs.
      Apparently, according to a law professor in the US (who doesn’t support Kim Davis BTW), jail was not supposed to be an option but suspension or firing her. The judge was only flexing muscles but if you understood my point, both are wrong but only the christian received drastic punishment. Why? I don’t support Kim or this lady but one faced a bigger punishment not because of her position but because of the judges ego and the current LGBT everyone must accept us movement which needed a scapegoat. Also because of a lack of respect/hatred for christianity (i blame christians for this sometimes). I get the need for an LGBT movement but if the same human right for all was respected in #BlackLivesMatter, then I would say it is a fair country. Why jail a clerk for not doing her job but let the police officers go free for not doing their jobs of disarming people but killing them. It’s a skewed human rights system.
      In line with this case that I put up, both Kim and this muslim lady (both wrong) didn’t do their jobs but do you think if Kim was muslim, she would have been jailed? Fear of ISIS won’t allow them publicly (there can be hidden cases) jail a muslim for their religious beliefs. That is my point.

• Mohammad

September 10, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Seriously?!!!! You have such a chip on your shoulder that you don’t understand how much people resent their lives being dictated by other people’s beliefs in fairy tales. It would totally happen if Kim Davies had been a muslim!

You are completely ignorant in not realising that as an elected official, Kim Davis cannot be fired. She can be impeached, but as the Kentucky government is not in session, that was not an option.

Either way, the correct thing for people whose religion/faith/whatever-bullcrap-you-want-to-call-it come into conflict with their work to do is to to quit and keep their heads high. By maintaining their positions in roles with duties that they cannot fully perform, they put client satisfaction at risk. They both deserve to go. C’est fini!

24. tamy

September 7, 2015 at 5:51 pm

@ElessarisEllendil my dear u voiced out my mind,never knew emirates serve alcohol,bt since dey do she shldv jst gone to anoda airline where deres no alcohol. @ S I wonder oo,we d Christians don’t even respect ourslves,may God help us

25. Indigo

September 7, 2015 at 6:57 pm

When I see news like this I fear for Europe with all this migrants begging to be allowed in 2 years from now after they have balanced they will start causing unnecessary drama for their host countries.. Mnyl with all the Muslim commotion going on around the world who in their right mind converts to that religion??

26. just wondering

September 7, 2015 at 8:12 pm

So I wonder if people comment based on the article, or the headline. She has been working for the airline way before she converted, so I don’t get all this job description talk. She wasn’t the one who made a big deal out of this ish, someone else did. I think that colleague is just mean. She found out about the prohibition, discussed it with her work supervisor, worked out a good plan, a plan that worked. Then some fellow thinks, why not sabotage the plan, I think people are just evil. I think she loves her job and that is why she worked out a plan without fussing. Sure, she can quit and save everyone the stress, but it is AMERICA, everyone has a fair chance

• MJD

September 7, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Well said!

• Tiki

September 8, 2015 at 12:30 pm

You forgot to mention that the ‘good plan that worked’ involved giving the work TO HER COLLEAGUE!! So would you accept to do someone else’s work for them just because their religion does not permit them to do it? For no extra compensation etc? Abegi. Given that her newfound religion is in conflict with her job, she should treat her job like all the other things (drinking, mini skirts etc) she has had to give up, and RESIGN instead of constituting a nuisance to herself and paying customers.

• pipi

September 8, 2015 at 3:53 pm

rather than thinking the colleague was just been malicious! what if he/she felt it was fair!… why should her work load be imposed on someone else!

27. Mabel

September 8, 2015 at 1:06 am

There is always someone forming holier than holy. I would not be surprised if some interesting tales start surfacing about her character. Anywho, the moral thing to do would be to quit the position or seek an office job in the company, there are always openings in reservations or check-in. She should have alerted HR as soon as she found out she could not handle alcohol in any capacity and ask for a reassignment to desk work, that would have been the considerate thing to do. Nobody likes taking on the work of others for too long.