News

EbonyLife Film’s FIFTY Makes N20 Million in Holiday Weekend │Breaks Nigerian Box Office Records

BellaNaija.com

Fifty Movie BellaNaija

Mo Abudu‘s ‎FIFTY, the new age drama chronicling the lives of four fifty year old women living in Lagos, is said to have broken Nigerian Box Office records by making N20 million in a holiday weekend.

Despite competition from about 8 films in the last 2 weeks, FIFTY has triumphed gallantly at the box office, consistently selling out dates in Ikeja, Abuja, Surulere, Lekki, Ibadan, Akure and other locations across the country.

People who love the film are saying that one of the strongest points for FIFTY is the film’s ability to attract a new type of audience, particularly middle-class women who have gone out in groups to catch the action.

FIFTY, which earlier on premiered before a global audience in London at the prestigious BFI London Film Festival, will be remembered as one of the most high-profile movie premieres –  one which attracted highly respected individuals including businessman and billionaire Aliko Dangote, Minister of Transport, Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, noted economist, entrepreneur and philanthropist Tony Elumelu, healthcare philanthropist and wife of the Senate President, Toyin Saraki, Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, and more.

Here is what people are saying about their experience after watching FIFTY:

“In the first instance, the premiere of the movie was unparalleled in Nigeria’s history. It attracted the creme de la creme of the society‎, all of whom were treated to a first-rate pre-show dinner that set the stage for the main act. The movie itself is a bold move that reflects life in its true sense.  The characters in the award winning movie were all flawed, but we love them all. We have no choice. We are all flawed. I’ll recommend the film any day and I am ready to watch it ten times!” – Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed.

“FIFTY has brought the pride back in me, the pride of being a Nigerian! And that’s saying it the way it is!” – Tunde Fagbenle, Punch Newspaper

“Nigerians can look forward to a big treat when FIFTY hits the cinemas nationwide from December 18, 2015. Kudos to my sister Mo Abudu and the entire cast and crew of FIFTY.” -Tunde Kelani, Film Maker

“I found the film entertaining and feel that it will be an unquestionable box office hit amongst its audience.” – Nadia Denton, Film Industry Specialist, Publicist and Author of The Nigerian Filmmaker’s Guide to Success

“It was an amazing film – the music, costumes, story, the elegance with which the plot was delivered. I loved it.” – Ojoma Ochai, Director, British Council

“The director, Biyi Bandele; the executive producer, Mo Abudu; and The Four Titans: Ireti Doyle, Omoni Oboli, Dakore Egbuson-Akande and Nse Ikpe Etim must be applauded for their valiant efforts in bringing a whole new level of cinematic excellence to Nollywood. It may not be Titanic or Lord of the Rings, but I didn’t see a single native doctor, and nobody ran mad. The BFI chose well.” – VIVA NAIJA (www.viva-naija.com)

“The buildup of the movie is beautiful … a great source of entertainment with its brilliant cast and plot twists … the costume choices fit the style of the movie and were carefully selected to portray the image of the actors … the writer was very inventive with the plot and kept us glued to the screen … It was everything but boring and the characters were credible with their words and acting … Having seen this movie already, would I still go back to watch it again? Hell, Yes! I would, you should too.” Crystal Clear Words (www.crystalclearwords.com)

I really enjoyed it and it was great to watch it with such an enthusiastic audience. It was funny, full of melodrama and disarmingly touching and courageous at the same time – a side of Lagos you don’t often get to see and a really original film. I loved the cast and characters and it was so refreshing to see a film that gave a voice to the ‘fifty-something’ women of Nigeria. I’m sure it will be a massive hit.” – Charlotte Moore, BBC 1’s Controller

For recording the highest-grossing opening weekend for any Nigerian film, FIFTY is now certified as the Number 1 Nigerian film of the year, with Box Office analysts predicting that it should end in over N100 million by the end of January 2016.

The support FIFTY continues to garner among Nigerian audiences shows that Nigerians do support their own as FIFTY’s success has been borne out of an appreciation for the quality and relevance of the film.

The movie is showing now in cinemas across Nigeria.

With every FIFTY cinema ticket purchased, an audience member has a chance to win prizes in the “WIN BIG with FIFTY” campaign. The star prize is a brand new Mercedes Benz B Class courtesy Skymit Motors. Other prizes include trips to Kenya, Mauritius, Seychelles, London and Dubai courtesy WakaNow. Also, you stand a chance to win 32” flat screen TV screens courtesy Konga, Shopping Vouchers worth N50,000 courtesy Spar Park ‘n’ Shop, and many more.

That’s not all! The first 50 people to watch FIFTY for the next 50 days, since December 18, 2015, stand a chance to win a free meal at Sweet Sensation or Domino’s Pizza in the  offer tagged “50 prizes for 50 days”.

1. X-Factor

December 31, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Sweet Sensation Bawo?

2. King Bey

December 31, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Hyped!

• Elohor Henrietta

January 4, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Not hyped bey! Everytime I get to the Cinema, I hear sold out, sold out, sold out for the Fifty Movie. And I was there 3 different times. Had to settle for others since I always get there late.

3. jess

December 31, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Are we still on this matter.hmmm

• Kosi

December 31, 2015 at 8:33 pm

If I hear ‘FIFTY’ one more time, I’m going to scream.

4. www.thelmathinks.com

December 31, 2015 at 2:32 pm

I saw the movie and it wasn’t extraordinary but it’s got great entertainment value, I quite liked it. I particularly loved Ireti Doyle in it, Omoni wasnt bad either. I couldn’t help wondering how much of Mo Abudu and her circle was infused do into those characters, because it’s obviously a movie based on their reality. Anyhoo I’m sure the movie is making a lot because there was barely an empty seat left and that wasn’t even opening weekend. Guess all the hype paid off.

• canigetsomeintelligencehere!!!

December 31, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Re your comment on how much of Mo’s life is infused into the movie…God bless you! That was the exact thing I said when I saw this movie and what a coincidence given that she turned 50 recently! The truth in my opinion, is that most of it is based on Mo’s life and that of her circle of friends, perhaps that is why the stories of the individual characters were difficult to reach a conclusion at the end of the movie after all they are still living their stories. I respect Mo’s hustle but given all the hype around this movie, it fell short of my expectations and I was rather underwhelmed at the end. The movie had (has) great potential but like most Nigerian movies the story was weak leading to very pedestrian plots and narrative. This for me was your regular nollywood movie except that there was more cash involved so the out put was better. I can almost bet my top dollar that there would be a sequel to this movie. if you are looking for some mindless entertainment, this is the movie to watch!

5. aikay

December 31, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Break box office record my foot, with the likes of dangote and Co at the premier I could not expect less. On a serious not if we all put nepotism and favouritism aside and put the movie on the same playing field as October 1, road to yesterday, 1979 etc, the film will not even rear its head up to their shoulders. It is just like every other Emen Isong block buster with a regular story line, nothing dt special except for the use of too much weave and make up and the flash of dt cheap and desperate ikubuese’s dirty butt which they use to mk the movie look a little more real than other nollywood movie, I honestly do not see anything that mind-blowing.. BN abeg, truth be told the movie is just over hyped just like AY’s movie. And I’m so sure it is going to sweep the AMVCA’s as well making other peoples work and effort to go to waste. Aunty MO is now using her power and connection to bully other filmmakers in the industry that she is just a new comer in. No wonder the A-lister like Genny, rita, uche jombo, emem isong etc boycotted her movie premier cos they knew what her real intentions were. MTCHEWWWW……..

• Tari

December 31, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Please stop stealing my exact thoughts.
      If a man like Biyi Bamidele wants to be respected as a filmmaker, he has to ditch such watery, fashion shoots masquerading as movies.

• observer

December 31, 2015 at 6:00 pm

It’s funny how you mention October 1 and Road to Yesterday. The nerve. Are those good films? I don’t mean to be a negative Patty, but October 1 in its glory develes into sociopathic sensationislism like Fifty while Road to Yesterday is a poorly written feminist film like Fifty. They were all equally overhyped like 30 Days in Atlanta which wasn’t a movie in the real sense, but a compilation of comedy skirts! Genevieve who doesn’t think Oscars is the benchmark said her film will blow minds. Kunle who is apparently Nollywood’s Scorsese said his would win an Oscar. While Mo said we were going to see Africa like we’ve never seen it before. Oh boo hoo, their statements were all creepy and stanky. These Nigerians making films need to checkout films by other African countries before they open their pie hole and brag! Nigeria constantly makes crappy films and that’s the truth.
      ‎‎
      Seems to me you are butthurt about the accomplishment of Fifty and I don’t know why. ‎Mo’s power have little to do with a viewing audience that came out to patronise the film. And may I ask, of what essense is Genny or Rita’s presence in the movie premiere? Their fanbase that’s obsessed about their looks than actual work? Or their (discrete) diva complex? They too like these actors in Fifty make bad to average movies at best.

• Of course they are!!

January 1, 2016 at 7:16 am

Both of those movies( RTY AND OCTOBER 1) haver a better story and twist , suspense in them than 50 . I don’t see anything special abt fifty cuz it’s telling a regular story but just in a glamourous way , and I also believe the young director of dat movie Ishaya Bako and kunle are more creative dan biyi( it almost seems biyi can’t direct a good movie without d high budget hype) . And I don’t understand d reason why 20 million naira is surprising cuz other nollywood films hv made more better figures thus this post is another hyping Plan!!!

6. Different Shades of Nigerian

December 31, 2015 at 3:52 pm

But 20million naira isnt a lot of money. Given the cost of your publicity and the movie itself, I wont be surprised if this movie has not broken even and are trying to get more people in so you can make a profit. Publicity is good but I think whoever planned the publicity for this movie just wanted to spend money unnecessarily on excessive publicity that does not correlate with the expected gain ….. dont worry, I know the big names you mentioned above would have dropped something, probably more than the 20M sef

7. Kitty

December 31, 2015 at 3:58 pm

The movie wasn’t even good..

8. Spoiler alert!!!

December 31, 2015 at 4:05 pm

If you wish to watch this movie,you better don’t bother reading @aikay comment.

• Tari

December 31, 2015 at 7:06 pm

you don’t need to read her comment.
      It was crystal clear from the trailer.

9. Khloe

December 31, 2015 at 4:34 pm

All hype!!!bAs they have made so much money can they please return my N1,800? I am still pissed off that I bought into the hype and went to see the movie on a public holiday.. KAI!

10. Tosin

December 31, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Hmmm. What was the budget for this movie? That’s the first question. Even for bollywood movies to say it breaks records, the figure of the actual budget is released… Sorry but I don’t buy this hype until I have an I idea of the budget.. That’s how it works..

11. Tee

December 31, 2015 at 5:58 pm

I still dey wait Nollywood o,the day wey dem do any filmtrick like burning houses, real beating and shooting with blank bullets with dramatic effect, anything close to coley, burning train, number 10, these are films done in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Then I fit say, dem don dey arrive small small. In as much as I can’t stand indian movies, their movies make more sense, technology is high tech and story line is out of this world, exception of dancing sha and display of beauty. But still, our Nollywood wey no fit do stunt moves go they compare their movies to Hollywood lounloun. Abeg make una fear God. Aunty Mo, I trust the BN comment section, so therefore I no go waste my money, simple!

12. observer

December 31, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Congratulations to Biyi, Mo and the cast and crew. However, this too, like all the Nigerian film I saw in theaters this year wasn’t a good film. I hope Mo gets it right in her next film. These stories aren’t what someone of her status needs to bring to light. Focus Mo.

13. observer

December 31, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Delves into.

14. Annie

December 31, 2015 at 6:06 pm

And the hatersssss have come out to play!!!! Ehya Aikay your hate is oh so personal, bitterness never gets you far in life. Anything Aunty Mo touches…whooop fire! Fifty was a fantasticccccc movie! Kudos to everyone involved!

• ElessarisElendil

December 31, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Okay enough. For the love of sanity, let’s leave this opposing opinion=haters attitude in 2015. If you believe aikay is wrong then defend your position, make a case for why the film is the best thing since fried plantain. Just screaming hater is lazy!

15. dupe

December 31, 2015 at 6:13 pm

The movie was a total letdown. for all the cash and time invested and the supposedly good production and acting cast, i expected better. It was no better than an average nollywood movie, Just more fashionable. The story line was very weak and uncoordinated and tried to tell too many stories at once. There were also inconsistencies in terms of timelines. Dialogue that happened a few days after an incident still lauded to it as “yesterday”. It also spoke to male and female stereotypes in Nigeria and did nothing to sell them in a good light. So it is okay to have a baby for your friend’s husband. All the men in the movie didn’t appear to hold a steady job and/or had one major vice or the other. Also, The movie should have been called Lekki Link Bridge cos that was what they kept showing. Very disappointing movie. So much could have been done with it.

16. niyoola

December 31, 2015 at 6:48 pm

I absolutely loved this movie. well directed, good story line that kept me engrossed. For those who didn’t like the movie, maybe they magnified the publicity and hype in their heads.

I recommend the movie to anyone, it is lovely.

17. lola

December 31, 2015 at 8:23 pm

The movie is OK but did not end well

18. Doyin

December 31, 2015 at 10:00 pm

I rather use N500 and buy a book at dnb stories than that crap of fifty. There was no story in the movie abeg. I didnt even connect with the characters. I don’t blame the stars though, they all did good. There just wasnt any story.

19. Tola

December 31, 2015 at 10:49 pm

My thoughts exactly! Don’t sit there screaming hater. Defend/explain why you think the movie is good and don’t call the other person who doesn’t think it is, a hater. It is indeed lazy just screaming hater.

20. Dragon queen

January 1, 2016 at 12:46 am

Crap movie. Same Nollywood shit. They should contact Carina Jacob of ckjacob.com to write fantastic Suspense stories for them.
    No, she did not tell me to write this. She’s talented.

21. Dee

January 1, 2016 at 9:53 am

So quick info. guys the movie is on Netflix. U welcome ! 🙂

22. DD

January 1, 2016 at 10:44 am

1,000,000 likes for your comment… screaming ‘haterssssss’ when someone expresses an opposing view is just flat out lazy, dull and boring. Let’s do better this year, people… respectful and well-reasoned disagreement and debate is actually healthy – we learn nothing from blind flock behaviour.

• DD

January 1, 2016 at 10:45 am

That was in agreement with ElessarisElendil.

23. TeeO

January 1, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Movie was just there…it wasn’t making much sense towards the end! Maybe it’s just me but there was something really really off about the makeup sha…Can’t believe it got posted on Netflix that quick!

24. sara

January 2, 2016 at 3:00 am

Just watched this on Netflix. I will give it to them. It was well shot and the outfits and makeup (with the exception of Dakore’s lashes) was ok. I just wish the story had more to it, Hopefully Nollywood will invest more in screenwriting.

25. iyun

January 4, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Very Boring movie, angry that I wasted my 1K5..