News

Over 1 Million Naira per Term – Parents condemn Top School for Charging in Dollars

BellaNaija.com

Lagos School Fees in DollarsWe received this email report today about a popular Lagos school still charging in US Dollars, almost a year after CBN made it very clear it’s illegal to do so.

In March 2015, the Central Bank of Nigeria banned businesses based in Nigeria from charging in foreign currency.

Read below:

The rich they say, also cry, has been reflected with parents of pupils in the School in Ikoyi, where United States dollars or its equivalent in the black market has been demanded from parents for school fees for the last three terms- despite the ban by CBN that no school, operating within the ambit of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, should charge any tuition fees in foreign currency, especially as 90% of their operating cost are in the local currency.

A few parents who spoke in anonymity, found this demand from the school outrageous considering that hard times had fallen on most parents in Nigeria. They were of the opinion that school fees by virtue of the Forex crisis had almost doubled, compared to what was obtainable from early last year. Parents are now expected to pay one million Naira a term considering the current exchange rate of 318.

Some angry parents have also voiced out the illegality of this operations and some are in the process of bringing litigations against the school, while others have withdrawn their kids in protest. A concerned parent found this to be an act of economic sabotage especially with the new “Change Mantra” by the Buhari administration, as certain institutions must understand that it cannot be business as usual, must conform with the laws of the country, that Dollars must not collected for any local transaction.

On Investigation, we found out that 90% of the workforce of School were paid in Naira and as such there could be no tenable reason for this demand, which is rather unpatriotic, as no school in the UK or the United States would accept the Nigerian Naira from a Nigerian student.

Other top schools like CSI Lekki (Children’s International School) and St. Saviors Ikoyi took a cue after complaints from parents and identified with their plights last year and fixed their school fees in Naira, which parents found laudable.

***the name of the school has been omitted

1. kay

February 2, 2016 at 11:45 am

Why let ur kids go to such schools, if 70% of parent exit their wards from such schools am sure the mgt will have a rethink both on the price n the country rate they use…………..

• naya

February 2, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Y arr dey complaining? If u cant afford den u remove d child from dere#simple incase they don’t know cheap schools dat teach really well dere is international school of lagos,queens college, kings college infact a lot of federal schools and private schools, cant believe dat some parents are bothered abt a particular school with d rate at which a lot of pple are opening schools like purewater

• FasholasLover

February 2, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Maybe, maybe not. The operative word here is “affordability”. Some people buy PJ, some Maybach exelero, some Kia Picanto. If you can no longer afford pricey education for your kids, then keep it moving. Why carry your invoice around ? Is anybody forcing you? If you are complaining, then your kids ought not to be there in the first place. Cut your coat according to your cloth. Watch your law makers/new money scramble to go on the waitlist..

2. tee A

February 2, 2016 at 11:49 am

So.. why did you omit the name of the school? Isn’t this supposed to be a piece of investigative journalism? Or are you unsure of your facts?
    BN, #Gohardorgohome

3. Spunky

February 2, 2016 at 11:50 am

one million, whether in dollars or in Naira, isn’t it much?

• Layo

February 2, 2016 at 1:13 pm

It’s Lagos Preparatory School, Ikoyi.

Don’t worry, people are exiting the place like it’s a house on fire. They should kntinu

• Kathy d ❤Dr

February 2, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Thank U! Like as if that will make all the kids an A students. But come to think of it, I attended a well-known high school & also very pricey! I guess it will be in ££££ by now. The last time I happen to check on line, OMG jeez! I’m glad I was out over a decade???. The fees is ridiculous & folks r still there with their kids. Na who go know book, go know boo! Well U know in Nigeria, most of us believe private/missionary school are better than government schools.

4. xag

February 2, 2016 at 11:51 am

Why is the name of the school being omitted? Abeg name and shame after all they are in violation of the law. All these schools charging dollars as part of the hype..what is the rationale abeg? If the bulk of their staff are not foreigners then it makes zero sense. Businesses that charge dollars are typically those exposed to dollar-related expenses i.e a multinational that has employees in various countries and thus needs to provide them an income basis that is acceptable everywhere in case they need to redeploy you from Brazil to Congo at a moment’s notice, an international NGO with the same requirements, or a business operating based on dollar-denominated loans or international expenditure. These ones in Nigeria are just charging dollars in the name of “effizi”, the mumu parents were paying too and feeling elite until the alarm blew and Naira lost 50% of its value in two years and they have suddenly developed sense. No o. Make una continue dey pay, indulge in the Lagos fakery to the maximum extent.

• Idomagirl

February 2, 2016 at 1:08 pm

I love your comment!

• Truly Nigerian

February 2, 2016 at 3:49 pm

lol. I love your comment. You know how much we love to show the high life. It would have been business as usual had the naira not come crashing. Nigerians and our fake attitude. No business in the US, UK or anywhere in the world would operate in NGN. Only in Nig do we operate in another country currency,

5. Tolu

February 2, 2016 at 11:51 am

I doubt if these schools pay their staffs in dollar sha

• Bey

February 2, 2016 at 12:27 pm

My dear when I worked in one of dese schools in their admin, the expat staff were paid in dollars and had accommodation on school grounds and a car and driver. While the Nigerian teachers got paid in Naira and without the peeks of accommodation etc. The salary of one expat teacher is like the 3times d salary of the regular naija teachers.

• lola

February 2, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Pay ke! Most of them will be receiving chicken change as as salaries set.

6. Mz Titilitious

February 2, 2016 at 11:56 am

sometimes its not even the fees of the school that will determine the quality education. your children will get smh….

7. bruno

February 2, 2016 at 12:04 pm

rich people problems. should we feel sad for them? NO

what is our business with this one. if u want to pay in diamonds na u sabi.
    at the end of the day it is the same waec and jamb and neco ur child and a child from cms grammar school will still sit to write.
    I wonder why anybody in this country will pay 1 million naira a term for secondary school fees.
    secondary school fees per term shouldn’t be more than 100k. anything more than that is a bloody waste. highest 120k

some people dont know what to use money for I swear.

• Niyoola

February 2, 2016 at 1:34 pm

The fees are not for Secondary School o.

• Iris

February 2, 2016 at 2:00 pm

It’s worse than you think. These are primary schools.

8. poison ivy

February 2, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Why is the name of the school omitted?
    Out them so the appropriate authority will deal with them.
    Nonsense effizy.
    I don’t blame them sha, na “We”.
    Everyone wan belong to “They pay in dollar level”.
    The other day, I visited a boutique in you people’s lagos and the silly lady had dollar tag on her items, asked the overly bleached madame why she’s selling in dollar, she naw said “ehhhh, because she bought in dollar”. Haaaa………I asked her so she expect people to be carrying dollar around she then gave me sights where I can change the money, Chai!!.
    She was obviously delusional, me I will “Come and Go” and change the money because she’s selling ticket to heaven. #onlyinlagos, who has your time in PH.

9. Uberhaute looks

February 2, 2016 at 12:07 pm

@Tolu, its written their that 90% of their work force are paid in Naira.
    If you go to countries like China, you comply with all their rules including spending their yen and all their instructions are in Chinese.. so, why is my own country different?
    In fact, I want to believe that a lot of Nigerians rejoice when they see their fellow citizens in poverty!

Uberhautelooks.blogspot.com

10. wese

February 2, 2016 at 12:12 pm

this is lagos preparatory school ikoyi on glover road. heard the british headmaster is threatening to resign. people should not come to our country and abuse our laws . this is one of the reasons there is too much pressure on the dollars and for me is an act of sabotage and disregarding the laws of the land .

that1960chick.com/2016/02/02/despite-cbn-ban-lagos-preparatory-continues-to-charge-fees-in-dollars-as-we-exclusively-gather-headmaster-is-threatning-to-resign/

11. mywifeisfiiiiiiine

February 2, 2016 at 12:16 pm

You decided not to name the school because? They are breaking the law, have some backbone Bella naija and name the school.

12. Bey

February 2, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Why let ur kids remain in such schools? Any type of school fees that’s going to give me sleepless nite’s when a school term begins, I’m sori I just can’t. By Gods grace when my baby is old enough he’ll be going to my alma mata Corona, I went there, my mum also did. Im so glad they are still around and the quality of education is still good. Also reasonably priced. The school back then was a walking distance from my house, my mum wld drop me in the morning, while the nanny walked to get me in the afternoon. I don’t get parents that kill themselves over dere kids going to the best schools, then travel miles to do school runs. I have worked in dese so called “British schools” before, during and after my Nysc and believe when i say my kids can’t go there. I have my reasons, but lemme not divulge. My own is raise ur kids according to what you can afford. Nothing beats a child’s spirit when ur continuously asked to leave class for not paying fees. At the end of d day guess what we all meet in the same work force. I work with all sorts of ppl. Those that went to elite schools, those that went to Govt schools. At d end of d day everyone gets promoted according to d work that gets put in.

• adelegirl

February 2, 2016 at 1:52 pm

I always dreamt that my child(ren) will also attend my alma mater Corona alas there is none in my city. But Corona’s fees are not very dissimilar from this school’s fees. At the end if the day, the work parents put into their children – teaching them and working with them – is what is most important. I know people that went to public schools but are more intelligent, cultured and better exposed than those that attended pricey private schools. Their parents put in a lot of work with them

• Just Me

February 2, 2016 at 3:55 pm

”Reasonably priced”….Corona…..ah

• Anonymous

February 2, 2016 at 8:41 pm

My dear, corona isnt reasonably priced o. I worjed there for 4 years as a teacher and it’s a case of monkey dey work baboon dey chop. Teacher’s salary is nothing to write home about

• mindyourbeeswax

February 3, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Hi, it’s ‘alma mater’ literally ‘nourishing mother’ in Latin not ‘alma mata’ and the term is applied to secondary school and university. Shalom.

• Bebe

June 3, 2019 at 12:09 am

How much do they charge in Corona?
      Parents should take their children to what they can afford periodt.

13. similicious

February 2, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Bella Naija is not about to incur legal fees for sweet gist for y’all

14. anonymous

February 2, 2016 at 12:37 pm

the school is lagos prep!

15. word

February 2, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Waiting on comments for the name of the school…BN pls cooperate.

16. Daisy

February 2, 2016 at 1:01 pm

This issue is funny.

17. Niyoola

February 2, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Wait, so parents buy black market dollars to pay fees? I dont even blame the school, I blame the parents I blame. I don’t know if your child’s destiny is in a calabash under the school foundation. If a school is not convenient for you financially, please move on to another school. There are lots of good schools in lagos that are not over-priced. Kids are also resilient and adjust easily to new learning environment. Once you have a good amiable teacher and excelent learning environment, the child will cope. I have friends that went to primary schools in like 4 different countries and they turned out fine.

Your financial stability and overall peace of mind is more important than trying to maintain your ‘status’ as having a child in a particular choice school. Because many of the kids in those schools are nasty. They will tease the life out of your child for not paying her fees ontime, call her broke etc …….

i’ve ranted enough.

18. Meah

February 2, 2016 at 1:25 pm

The school is fine
    Grass is green
    White kids present
    Your kids can be best friends with white kids,it shapes their future
    Swimming pool present,violin,football pitch,white teachers
    Microwave in the kitchen sef,Ac in the Class
    They teach them foreign languages
    Naija parents sha??????????

• Bleed Blue

February 2, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Seriously these schools amaze me.

When we first moved back, I wanted to see if my kids could go to Lagos Prep.
      Response: “Our waiting list has a waiting list”.
      Shuo! And at the time I didn’t even know the fees, I just had an initial discussion with them. When I found out ehn…I was perplexed.

School fees have become a constant discussion between hubby and I. Now my first lad is getting ready for secondary school (chai I’m getting ahead in my years!) and I checked out Day Waterman College. I heard good things about the school.

My dear, the good things are to be paid for with N4.2 million per annum. Biko let me go and look for school with semi-good things.

• Xtophar

February 2, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Hahahaha! @Meah, parents are not paying for education again o. They pay for networking. Lagos Preparatory School my foot!

• Cele-Ijesha

February 2, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Well, otun ri yen so o, you a right o sis Meah, because if somebody like me had had the benefits of all these, shebi i will not be indulging in social mobility abi social high jump and climbing ala awon egbon ati aburo kan. at least, the good life would have been a recurring decimal in my life, instead of shadowing customer from Cele-Ijesha, Ago palaceway looking for main and side hustle. O ga. But something in me tells me ayam doing well notwithstanding and all my public education will yield dividend soonest.
      I did not enlist on BN to come and woju ushay, but yesterday i read her post and discovered some uche’s face are worth looking at. So e no matter d beginning, elemi lo ma last.

19. TK

February 2, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Lool na today! No shade but the schools that end with “I.S” are guilty here! But at the same time what is your child learning there? Lol anyways at the end of the day, it’s to cut your cloth according to your size! I’ve had friends who went to one of the dollar paying schools and their parents are more than willing to pay in whatever currency you throw at them cause, to them money is just colored paper. Howeverrrr some other people can’t afford to feed yet they look for the so called best in such schools. There really isn’t any benefit I can think of tbh, if you can afford it, go ahead. Otherwise, don’t send your child to a school cause you feel like it’ll help your social status or for whatever silly reason. Adios✌?️

20. kilipot

February 2, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Did you say Prep school or University lol ?????!!!!! Odiegwu!!!!!!

21. Niyoola

February 2, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Reminds me of one bn post about posh schools and parents being mad!

22. Niyoola

February 2, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Meanwhile, why would you post that St Saviours and CSI schools allow parents pay in Naira. Are you advertising for them? You could have simply written “other schools have complied”

23. Niyoola

February 2, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Wait o, this $3,000 tuition fee …… that means other charges like extra curricular activities, uniform etc will still follow? LOL

24. Kiiki

February 2, 2016 at 1:45 pm

It’s not Lagos Prep. It’s “Our Saviour’s School Ikoyi”. #Fact!

• Bleed Blue

February 2, 2016 at 3:30 pm

NOPE! I’ve seen the invoice in it’s entirety. It’s going round social media.

Definitely Lagos Prep, Ikoyi.

• jorrr ooo

February 2, 2016 at 3:47 pm

shaataappp!!! its Lagos Prep. Get ur facts right before blabbing.

• D

February 2, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Didn’t you read the article? They said St. Saviour’s Ikoyi started charging in Naira last year, so it’s obviously not them.

• Kiiki

February 3, 2016 at 2:26 am

No I didn’t ??????

• Manny

February 2, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Kiiki you should facepalm yaself

• Kiiki

February 3, 2016 at 2:23 am

?????????

• Bey

February 2, 2016 at 8:56 pm

Our saviour’s Kwaa, abi St Saviours school ikoyi.

• Kiiki

February 3, 2016 at 2:26 am

Mistake na ?????

• Iris

February 3, 2016 at 2:42 am

Also, Our Saviour’s is the church. St Saviour’s is the school.

25. Cele-Ijesha

February 2, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Well me i dont have mursh to say on this. Since Nigerians have decided to live by status alone, let them carry the cross. People that have eyes saw this coming like March 28-15 presidential elections. My Oga has already challenged us on this but quintessential us we wont hear word

blogs.premiumtimesng.com/how-nigerias-middle-class-work-for-private-schools-by-tope-fasua/

26. Ewa

February 2, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Bella Naija, why can’t you name the school? I tire for una o.

27. Aderonke

February 2, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Ema gbami ke! Choi 1million Naira for prep school? Oshisko mschewww oshi o da ni le pako!

Haaa like everyone rightly said, I do not blame the school(s) but the parents. Haba why would you support a rule when your government has authorized for it to be stopped?
    How do we want to grow as a nation when we make life unbearable for each other?
    Beyond that, truthfully can we say these schools really have exceptional influence(s) and values on our kids or it is just about class or status for us as parents?

I am a product of an average private school and public after-school lesson and I can humbly say I am a great product and an excellent influence.

What I believe regardless of the values added and benefits of an expensive school which are great too on our kids, the key factors are ‘The Grace of God, Influence of Parents and the personal determination by the child”

Like the yoruba proverb says “Ti won ba bi eniyan, eniyan ma tura bi ni”- translation in English-“When a child is born, u have the grace to have another rebirth”

• Cele-Ijesha

February 2, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Aderonke e gbayi. oro le so aunty mi

28. SOSA

February 2, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Fools screaming change now their childrens education standards are deteriorating. Well, that in itself is a form of change sha #carryon

29. anonymous

February 2, 2016 at 3:27 pm

read the post well it is not st saviors

30. poshjosh

February 2, 2016 at 3:29 pm

I’m PoshJosh. I really wanted choice so News Minute is designed to give just that.

Instead of receiving any news, receive news updates of your choice.

To shed more light, here are some examples of choices possible by using the NewsMinute app:

Fashionista

entertainment, bellanaija, linda ikej, naij, tiwa, wizkid
    (In this example, the fashionista receives regular alerts about entertainment news, also news from bellanaija, lindaikeji, naij and news about ‘tiwa’ and ‘wizkid’)

Activist

BBOG, girl child, efcc, corruption, buhari
    (Here the activist receives alerts about ‘BBOG’, ‘girl child’, ‘efcc’, ‘corruption’, ‘buhari’)
    search for news minute on google play store now

31. Nwakaego

February 2, 2016 at 3:40 pm

If you cannot cope withdraw and check other school..simple. Alot of people suffer from self deceit those schools are not the kind of school that parents hussle or save the money..the money is packed already and when it’s time they just pay….. there is a place for everybody..but my LAGOS people no go agree.pay school fees they will be putting up their property for sale..ohh chi m..

• D

February 2, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Well said. When my first primary school kept increasing fees and my parents could not afford to keep us there, they promptly transferred us to a more affordable school that was also very good. The move did not affect us at all – kids are adaptable and we soon settled down very well. There are options out there and parents should simply live according to their means instead of struggling to pay fees and complaining.

32. Laura

February 2, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Some parents love good schools no problem in that, just like some people would rather go for Channel rather than the ordinary, no problem in that, problem is when we hurt ours for no reason.

33. nne

February 2, 2016 at 4:07 pm

L$$$$$$L, i dey here dey laff in dollars. Lagos peepu be real mugus sha. You having been going to buy dollars to pay oyibo in your own country—wonderment! I live in naija and my salary is in dollars and i dont have my kids enrolled in dollar school. In Lagos, there are plenty of affordable, quality schools, so if you wan do yaself like dat, abeg carry go. Just dont come on social media to get people fight your battles for you, go and face the school your self o jare.

34. Trudy

February 2, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Lincoln International School in Dzorwulu Accra Ghana

$18000 (as in EIGHTEEN THOUSAND US DOLLARS) PER TERM – many nigerians in Ghana take their kids there and a lot of expats (cos their company is paying)

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 2, 2016 at 11:27 pm

If it’s an international school (& by this I mean a properly accredited international school for expat families to send kids to – no be the one wey our people go just add “international” anyhow on top the name of one school lying on the outskirts of Aba), then that’s the standard tuition bracket.

My younger siblings attended international schools when our father worked outside the country (we the elder siblings were the “Pakos” of the bunch) and trust when I say there was no way in heck that konk Owerri man would have shelled out the fees if his company wasn’t footing the bill. It was so expensive that he’d probably have given his children a crash lesson in Dutch and carted them off to the nearest community school in the neighbourhood. Or dropped them in Federal boarding houses in Naija.

Even the International School where I live charges about $20,000 annually. For kindergarten up to secondary level (it’s slightly cheaper in kindergarten/primary but not that much cheaper) and that’s because they’re rendering a tailored service to multinational companies, embassies, etc. who regularly move staff around. They’ll offer a discount of around 50% if you’re self funding but that’s still approx. $10,000 per year (per child) and I know Nigerian families who’ve gladly paid the discounted fee for more than one child (different reasons, main one being the family got transferred here finished their posting and decided to stay back but didn’t want to disturb the children’s education).

International schools are expensive but the main reason why they cost so much is because they’re meant to be for a very niche market of students (i.e. Students who get moved from country to country every few years due to their parents’ careers).

• Mz Socially Awkward...

February 2, 2016 at 11:43 pm

On a completely separate note, I just started calculating all the tuition that majors like Chevron, Shell, BP and co. must be writing cheques for every year with the amount of staff they employ and move around the globe. At $20k per student, per family… and a typical family might have 2 kids or more, posted to another country for anything between 2-4years.

Damn, it must be in millions of dollars, at least, just for paying school fees…. No wonder we’re all crying about this price of oil. ?

35. YUMMY CHICK CUM MUMMY

February 2, 2016 at 4:12 pm

overrated sh3t

36. Tikka Masala

February 2, 2016 at 4:28 pm

salylagos.blogspot.com.ng/2016/02/ikoyi-school-demands-dollars-for-school.html?m=1
    this hashtag #NoToLPSDollarsSchoolFees – is trending now on Twitter…so Bella no need to hide their name any further 😉

37. Nwakaego

February 2, 2016 at 5:31 pm

And Nigerians will be looking for schools with pupils from different continents..forgetting that most of expat don’t pay. 3 of my nephews are in ais and another bis..d day I saw their fee my heart skipped not even a bit…..the surnames I saw on their school book.hmmmm I no dey fear..it’s not even about what is best for ur child..it’s about reality.

38. Natu

February 2, 2016 at 6:05 pm

The fees are high to some people but I can tell you from my personal experience that the education is superb. I went to an international school in Italy and the connections I made are paying off. I know people from fiat. , fererro rocher, tic-tac, ILO and Armani just to name a few. These are connections I will keep forever. They have helped me with internships and placements. My CV looks good. If you can afford to paythe fees, send your kids to international schools. Besides, education is an investment.

• new bride

February 2, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Congratulations!

You won’t enter heaven with those connections sha…..

• Reverse

February 2, 2016 at 6:56 pm

To make one single point, you had to give us your cv? Pictures of your certificates or adonbelivit! Odiegwu ?

• sweet breeze

February 2, 2016 at 7:08 pm

Lol..Natu and her comments.

• i no send

February 2, 2016 at 7:38 pm

good for you but the topic is not about the benefits of attending international schools its about charging fees in dollars

• Divine

February 2, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Madam you have come again with your bullshit superiority mentality. I remember ur silly comments on the old BN post on posh schools and spoilt kids. Pls gerrahere mhen!!! Wat have u achieved personally, u know dis one u know dt one, u did internship. Who are u pls. Lmaooo!!! Ppl that went to govt school r shattering glass ceilings in their career ur only claim to fame is ur connections and internships. Pls shift abeg.

• ATL's finest

February 2, 2016 at 9:53 pm

@ NAtu—- Biggest Olodo from birth that ever liveth. If she sounds like this, I can just imagine her in real life.. I just wish we all could chip in some $$$ & buy her some sense. I don’t think we r surprised she sound s like this. U know people like this are the type that don’t even have 3(x) meal a day #Eyerolling#. Your CV can’t help u in making heaven. #BYEFELICIA#.

• Iris

February 3, 2016 at 2:45 am

Ehn but the Nigerian government has said charge in naira now. They should either dance to the tune or go away. They aren’t the only international school in the country.

39. new bride

February 2, 2016 at 6:44 pm

I’m not sure why parents are making noise on social media. Go and report the school to the ministry of education, CBN and consumer protection council. The school needs to be shut down in my opinion, what rubbish!

40. nystyle

February 2, 2016 at 8:17 pm

My dear Natu,they may hv helpef u w/internships but that does not guarantee you successful employment in life, its the grace of God…in america all those company names u called are peanut compared to were we work in global fortune 500 companies and thats regardless of what danm pry or sec school u went to…everyone can get them jobs with God not school name. Even the likes of harvard dont move employers no more..

41. nunulicious

February 2, 2016 at 8:42 pm

…and so therefore, it makes you a better human being than tolulope onyebuchi adamu who went to a public school and knows people in ministry of environment, lastma and gt bank.

42. Natu

February 2, 2016 at 8:55 pm

I can smell the envy!!!! The envy is real!!! Is it my fault that you lots spend half your time doing stupid things instead of building your future. Go make that bread and leave rich folks alone.

• Kathy d ❤Dr

February 2, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Although I just started commenting on this blog, but one thing I’ve noticed is that U’re honestly dumper than I thought & oh, did U mention sometime ago that U are doing your Masters? Hmmm bless your heart for your stupid comments are pathetic.

U smell Envy bcuz what??? Nobody is holding these rich folks rather, they can help their kids get a better education & still have a trust fund for them.. Just bcuz the kids are in ‘expensive school’ doesn’t meant the parents are uber flity rich. I have seen supposed rich folks who like go belong & borrow money as well or loan from the banks. Think twice before you type.
      P.S. come for me if u like because I’m so READY for it.

43. Bev

February 4, 2016 at 1:20 am

Stupid parents, it is because they can’t continue to afford the money, that’s why the complaints. When they were posing to their friends that their kids attend expensive schools and that they pay in dollars, they didn’t think of the consequences in future. Some go as far as borrow money to impress their friends and families who they think are not up to their standard. Here in the states, even rich parents find how the kids can go school tuition free,then save the money or put it in trust for their kids, Nigerian parents blow the whole wealth on empty brain kids. I taught in one of those rich schools in Abuja, to pay their teachers na war. Some take extra two weeks after month end before they release salaries. And these parents don’t send. They even shower gifts on the proprietos, seeing teachers as one of their maids. Don’t complain, pay as you have been paying jor

44. nkiru

February 4, 2016 at 8:38 am

the school is LAGOS PREPARATORY SCHOOL, IKOYI. The directors of the school claims it a for “Non profit” school and uses this to justify their huge school fees. The parents have met several with the directors to voice their discontent with the dollar priced bill, other parents have left and more will leave at the end of this session. The arrogrant directors told parents in the last PTA meeting “to withdraw their children” rather than them attend to parents concerns on the fees and quality of teachers (imagine, a a security man at the school gate was recently made a teacher but was soon transfered back to the gate when parents screamed). There’s a $12000 joining fee for every new student who joins the school so obviously the directors will rather let the old parents withdraw their children, not get a refund of the joining fee and make money by charging new students joing fee (NOT FOR PROFIT INDEED) The crust of the matter is it’s illegal to charge fees in dollars and parents have right to express their concerns, and the directors have an obligation to politely attend to such concerns.
    Not for profit ohhhhhhhhh!!!!! Indeed!!!!!

45. J

February 5, 2016 at 6:38 pm

It got changed to Naira. The PTA met with the school administration and it just got changed. Clearly there was a problem, but it got resolved by working together. Please, let’s not spread hate on social media unless other peaceful means have failed.. If there’s a problem, let’s go to the source and see if it can be fixed.