News

English Footballer Adam Johnson on Trial for Sexual Acts with Minor when his Girlfriend Just Gave Birth

BellaNaija.com

Adam Johnson and his girlfriend Stacey Flounders arrive at Bradford Crown Court where Johnson is facing child sexul assault charges on February 12, 2016 in Bradford, England. The fomer Sunderland FC midfielder, aged 28 and from Castle Eden, County Durham, is on trial for two counts of sexual activity having pleaded guilty to two others.

28 year old footballer Adam Johnson is currently on trial in the UK for texting and making out with a secondary school girl who was only 15.

The girl is a Sunderland fan (he got fired from the team yesterday) and prosecutors say she idolized him. He met up with her and they exchanged naughty text messages while he was living with his pregnant girlfriend, Stacey Flounders and after she gave birth to their daughter, his only child.

In fact, according to Mirror, one time he sent her a dirty text message just 30 seconds after he received a photo of his newborn baby with his live-in girlfriend.

A jury was told the 28-year-old text the schoolgirl saying ‘I’ll last 10 seconds though, lol” after suggesting he wanted to remove her jeans.

The prosecution said just 30 seconds earlier he received a picture from girlfriend Stacey Flounders of their new baby daughter and replied “she looks class”.

BRADFORD, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 10: Adam Johnson with girlfriend Stacey Flounders leaving Crown Court after admitting two charges against him and pleading not guilty to two others on February 10, 2016 in Bradford, England. The Sunderland FC midfielder, aged 28 and from Castle Eden, County Durham, will go on trial for two counts of sexual activity having pleaded guilty to two others. He has one daughter. (Photo by Nigel Roddis/Getty Images)

BRADFORD, ENGLAND – FEBRUARY 10: Adam Johnson with girlfriend Stacey Flounders leaving Crown Court after admitting two charges against him and pleading not guilty to two others on February 10, 2016 in Bradford, England. The Sunderland FC midfielder, aged 28 and from Castle Eden, County Durham, will go on trial for two counts of sexual activity having pleaded guilty to two others. He has one daughter. (Photo by Nigel Roddis/Getty Images)

Going to the beginning, prosecutors say when the girl added him on Facebook right before New Years 2014, she made it clear she had just turned 15.

According to BBC,

Prosecutor Kate Blackwell QC said the girl was a passionate Sunderland Football Club fan and “idolised” Mr Johnson, who was her favourite player.

“After matches, she would hang around waiting for a glimpse of him, wanting to get a photograph, often sporting a Sunderland shirt with Johnson’s name emblazoned across the back,” she told the court.

After he started texting her, his browser search history show he looked for ‘legal age of consent’ four days after.

One text exchange showed he knew about her age, he asked her if she drinks and if she goes out, “Where do you go out?” Victim: “I’m not old enough to go out.” Johnson: “Yeah, but you look old enough.”

Then they first met up in his Range Rover outside a Chinese takeaway near her house, where he gave her a signed jersey in January 2014. On January 30 they met there again, and kissed, as well as unzipped her jeans.

This is a text message exchange after that sexual encounter:

Johnson: “It was class.” “Just wanted to get your jeans off, LOL.” The victim: “Next time.”

As for the charges against him, so far he has plead guilty to sexual activity with a child and to grooming, but not guilty to those involving penetration.

Source: BBC | Mirror

Photo Credit: Christopher Furlong and Nigel Roddis for Getty Images News

1. Anon

February 12, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Borderline paedophile. He had it all and now it’s all gone. Shame on him.

His girlfriend walked out when the explicit texts were read out in court today. What did she expect to hear?

• Bio

February 12, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Dont blame the girlfriend. She was probably hoping it is a frame up. Moreover you dont know what he told her.

• Ovadje

February 14, 2016 at 3:27 pm

@Bio, her GF/Baby Mama knew exactly what he was being accused of – but chose to stand by him. Good for her (as we all have our own peculiar and unique life decisions to make), and while I will not ‘blame’ her but she still has to confront the consequences of her (adult) decisions.

• Goz

February 13, 2016 at 11:50 am

I hope she dumps him! Asshole

2. FasholasLover

February 12, 2016 at 7:23 pm

The height of idiocy. You throw away an opportunity of a life time for what ? I hate opportunity “wasters”. Even if the girl is gullible and spread herself out on a dinner table, whatever happened to common sense???????? Must you eat every meal? Perverts all round. Mtscheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

3. Cindy

February 12, 2016 at 8:47 pm

If it was in Nigeria, they would blame the teenage girl. Teenagers are meant to be dumb, an adult should know better.

• Belema

February 12, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Teenagers aren’t meant to be dumb, please. That’s why they do atrocious things with these kinds of comments that justify the bizarre things they do. Life has stages, yes when you’re younger, your maturity level is low, but your point about saying that teenagers are meant to be dumb is incredibly illogical. Don’t even bring Nigeria into this.

• Cindy

February 12, 2016 at 10:22 pm

You took my comment literally? Okay then compare your maturity level with that of a teenager then. Naturally, a teenager is finding his/her way to adulthood so they make mistakes with their choices and that’s where an adult’s wisdom is needed. Your own comment justifies how teenagers are treated by adults as if they never passed through that phase themselves. We need to understand teenagers as adults and we are supposed to guide them instead of taking advantage or suppressing them. Tell me you didn’t do something stupid as a teenager and looking back now, you wonder how you could do something so ridiculous. Imagine someone taking advantage of you then. As a teenager, I remember thinking I needed a guy to validate me because it was cool to have a boyfriend. I would do anything then to get a boy’s attention then. It was not because I just wanted to be naughty but because I didn’t know better. I even remember trying to drink dettol once because my mum and older sister wouldn’t let me be. Thank God they more of made jest instead of outrightly giving stringent rules. I think back now and I just shake my head. As an adult, I will never take advantage of a teenage boy with a crush. It has happened before and I know how I handled it. So yes, if this were Nigeria…….well……you proved me right already.

• Enough!!!

February 13, 2016 at 12:49 am

Give it a rest Cindy. You talk too much while displaying your family troubles here. Comment once and move on.

• Jay

February 13, 2016 at 2:33 am

Cindy, your initial comment was very unintelligent. Don’t even try to write a sermon to justify the illogical comment you initially typed. I raised my eyebrows when I read your comment. When you write something like that, you elaborate. You don’t just say teenagers are meant to be dumb, then try to write an epistle after someone has called you out on it. I’m sorry, your attempt failed woefully. I don’t think Belema is talking about how children are treated by adults, that’s far from the point, don’t even try to twist it; but your comment about teenagers in general – I think that was where he/she was astonished. That comment wasn’t accurate at all. Teenagers (not all) are sometimes naive, they’re not meant to be dumb. Do yourself a favor and be quiet already and don’t try to twist what you meant.

4. Tosin

February 12, 2016 at 9:04 pm

call me weird but ,,,
    they texted?
    she had a crush on him?
    isn’t this a good instance for the legal system to take a holiday / look the other way / let people do what they want?

i’m not saying this is model behaviour from either party but i’m angry if this is a crime.

• Mz Socially Awkward....

February 13, 2016 at 12:47 am

Tosin, he kissed her and unzipped her pants.

Whenever next your hood is at risk of being visited by armed robbers because they can’t get gainful employment, maybe you might want to ask the legal enforcement system to look elsewhere… But I daresay certain laws are in existence for a good reason.

• lotus flower

February 13, 2016 at 12:44 pm

She performed a sex act on him. This article doesn’t even address most of the key facts. Read up on the case and you will change your tone. This guy is a predator, to the extent that he was already searching “age of consent” on google right after their initial facebook interaction. Despite know the legal age, he still pursued her, even encouraging her to drink and party. Come on. He is a criminal.

5. bruno

February 12, 2016 at 10:00 pm

HETEROSEXUALS!!!!!!!
    deviants oshi

why can’t u heterosexuals wait for the child to mature. tufia for una. 18 is still too young sef.
    21 or 22 should be the age of consent.

• ElessarisElendil

February 12, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Why 18? for most of humanity’s history by 18 the woman definitely had more than 2 children. In the 22nd century when our life expectancy is 200, somebody will be making the argument for 30 to be the age of consent.

Ahh the irony in calling Heterosexuals deviants, I so love your sense of humour.

6. ElessarisElendil

February 12, 2016 at 10:22 pm

This guy is a big fool!!

You’re rich!

There is Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Estonia, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Montenegro, Portugal, San Marino, Serbia,Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Greece, Iceland, Monaco, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden for you to have sex with girls of her age if that’s what floats your boat but No…………………………Fool!!!!

• Tunmi

February 12, 2016 at 11:20 pm

Lmaoooo but whyyy did you have to list them all though ????? between you and Tosin, I can’t deal with y’all

7. naijamess

February 12, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Useless guy,instead of him to face his football carrier his going with small girl,he is surely going to be persecuted for this. Nigerian footballers playing in diaspora take note if you do such thing you will be persecuted we are not in Nigeria where you can corrupt the autorities and then go free.

8. Sansarai

February 12, 2016 at 11:19 pm

Sorry, sweerat…did you not read the part that said she was 15?

9. semesee

February 13, 2016 at 11:15 am

The law in the UK says that an individual under 16 years is a child! Even if that child pursues you to “death” and jumps on you naked , the law is the law! Proceed at your own peril!

10. Zee

February 13, 2016 at 11:54 am

People.don’t even think long term. Imagine baby girl Adams growing up with the knowledge that her papa was a paedophile.
    Just see how he disgraced his baby mama with his perversion! Kai!

11. A.D.A.

February 13, 2016 at 1:01 pm

“one time he sent her a dirty text message just 30 seconds after he received a photo of his newborn baby with his live-in girlfriend.”

Damn. Cold world.

12. Cindy

February 13, 2016 at 8:11 pm

@enough you seem so pained about my comments. And talking about my own experience is not my family’s trouble please. It is your own family that will have troubles not mine.
    @jay my initial comment wasn’t generalizing, it is not my fault that you could not comprehend. And I am not backtracking on what I believe in because you agreeing with me with your likes won’t feed me. I explained what I meant but no, you already had your preconceived interpretation. Hence you thought my second comment was a backtrack because that is what you would do in that situation.
    To all Cindy haters on this blog, well…………. Keep at it. Na your body e dey pinch. Ntorr!??