BN TV

Is this what a Nigerian Accent Sounds Like? BattaBox hit the streets of Brixton to find out | Watch

BN TV

Have you ever wondered what a Nigerian sounds like to other people who are not familiar with the accent?

Well, this video from Battabox solves the mystery.

BattaBox hits the streets of Brixton to find out if people can speak with a Nigerian accent.

Watch below.

The best Nigerian and African video content from around the web specially curated for YOU!

1. Rosie

February 22, 2016 at 2:45 pm

The last guy is sweet and charming.

2. ada

February 22, 2016 at 2:53 pm

The “McDonald” guy killed it!

• ogeAdiro

February 22, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Absolutely!

3. E.A

February 22, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Sometimes Battabox asked stupid question, clearly there is no one Nigerian accent, but living in England, they tend to mean yourba accent, sigh the rest of us don’t count.

• Olu

February 22, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Here we go…….

• slice

February 22, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I do think there is such a thg tho. As a Nigerian, u can hear the intricate differences but a nonNigerian won’t. So to them there is such a thg.

• osa

February 22, 2016 at 6:25 pm

I wonder o. No one nigerian accent is there.

• Ufuoma

February 22, 2016 at 10:06 pm

I beg to differ EA there is a nigerian accent, and it’s not tribe specific, It’s just a specific way we pronounce words or place emphasis on certain parts of a pronounced word,based on how we were taught English in school..

• Ufuoma

February 22, 2016 at 10:14 pm

And to clarify when I say taught in school, I mean a teacher who spoke good English without a h factor,Hausa,Igbo or any other nigerian language interference.

• ElessarisElendil

February 23, 2016 at 2:44 am

Huh???? most Nigerians O/ went to village schools. Most of our teachers had a factor, rendering your point moot.

4. A-nony

February 22, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Awww . . . . and i was expecting to see my darling Odunayo present this. . . with her lovely smile and bubbling personality. She would have definitely teased the hell out of them.

5. Ada

February 22, 2016 at 3:08 pm

The first guy sounded almost Igbo!

• ogeAdiro

February 22, 2016 at 4:29 pm

His “I don’t know what you want me to say,” sounded like classic ‘Lagos English’.

6. Nwa nna

February 22, 2016 at 3:45 pm

As a Nigerian, I’ll be the first to admit that when we talk it sounds so flipping aggressive!
    True Story, I was at a friend’s apartment once and there were several other naija guys present and can’t remember what the exact topic of discussion was, but in typical naija style we’re all trying to make our points at the same time and suddenly we see a couple of police officer’s pull up and walk up to ask us if everything was alright because they had got a call about domestic disturbance. Guess the neighbor thought we were fighting or something so they called the police ??

• The real Ibinabo

February 22, 2016 at 7:56 pm

This is so true, I never knew how we sounded until some white friends pointed it out. I used to walk to school with some Nigerians before and a lecturer said she could here us from a distance, that we were so loud. Another caucasian friend said we used to sound like we were arguing when we were just gisting. lol

7. Nikky

February 22, 2016 at 4:54 pm

OMG if I hear A A one more time.

• aunty

February 23, 2016 at 12:04 am

YOOOO! tell me about it!

8. nystyle

February 22, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Hahahaha i love the “Macdonad” loll

9. Avosiya

February 22, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Loool……..’oh baby was goin on’……. it just doesn’t work??

10. Tru

February 22, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Hehehehehehe really enjoyed this video

11. jade

February 22, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Nigerian accent can be sexy when it’s soft and not too aggressive. I love peakmill(youtuber) accent, hence why many people always comment on how nice she sounds. It’s soothing. Nigerian accent varies, but no matter what I can always tell it’s a naija accent.

12. Teni

February 23, 2016 at 3:55 am

Just today I went to submit some documents at the Academic Resource Center in my school and the woman at the desk kept asking me questions which I found weird. Later she said ‘I’m sorry for asking so many questions, I just wanted to hear you speak cos I love your accent.’ Now I see this on BellaNaija, what a coincidence. P.S. Nigerians DO have an accent.