News

Listen as Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie reads her short story “Olikoye”

BellaNaija.com

Chimamanda-Ngozi-Adichie-at-theLondon-Premiere-of-Half-of-a-Yellow-Sun-October-2013-BellaNaija-Exclusive001Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was also one of more than 30 artists to contribute to a special artistic project on vaccination in Africa and around the world.

The short story titled Olikoye was originally published on Medium on last week after being originally published in the story collection “The Art of Saving a Life” commissioned by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to spotlight the value of vaccines.

From our BBC studios in Washington, she recorded this exclusive reading of her short story Olikoye to coincide with a major ministerial conference on immunisation in Africa which is taking place in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

1. Teju TJ

February 29, 2016 at 10:01 pm

I read this short story a while ago. Actually, about a month ago – and I fell in love with Chimamanda all over again. But more than the beauty of the story is the idea itself. You can always make a difference no matter how small. I know Dr Olikoye Kuti was a government official but at some point we have to stop waiting for the government to do things for us and take matters into our hands.

One of my mother’s childhood friends goes to Nigeria yearly for a medical mission. They go state by state -donate medicines and health equipment from the U.S. Some times, the government gets involved and other times they they don’t get enough support. Rather than do what i have been doing for the last 5 years (going to work and complaining the Nigerian govt is doing nothing) this year, i will be volunteering.

• Damisko

March 1, 2016 at 2:19 pm

This woman never cease to blow me away. She’s a genius. She’s gifted at storytelling. I can’t wait to read this book of hers.

2. [email protected]

February 29, 2016 at 10:23 pm

I love Chimamanda so much!!!
    I can die, if I get an opportunity to feature in ‘Americanah’ when they finally decide to shoot. My life would be fufilled.
    I read that book and it still sticks up there, every day. The power of literature! I keep thinking of myself in the film- like I have to be in there, maybe I would just have a line and say ‘hi’ or something, maybe be in desame class as Obinze and Ifemelu, maybe be a passerby…lol… I love that book so much and they thought of the film is just….

Anyway let me calm down. But didn’t BN report that she was pregnant at some point. Congrats to her… I love how private she is.

3. Eky

February 29, 2016 at 11:10 pm

I just love this babe! More grease to her pen…

4. Onochie

March 1, 2016 at 12:38 am

Hmmnm. Deep. She’s Nigerian. That’s what matters. We sef fit export better things

5. Cher Agege

March 1, 2016 at 2:25 am

Chimamanda , why are you so brilliant ? How are you so brilliant ? Her voice the way she told the story was everything. I don’t think there’s any thing she has done that I don’t like. Also I need to be in the movie as well . Let God find us ! Wow didn’t know she had a baby !? Sources please …

6. Tell me

March 1, 2016 at 9:24 am

Wait what! I cant watch it! I need to install kini?! *Cries*
    Oh Chiamanda! I have been patiently waiting for the next book since “We should all be feminists” booklet (because that wasn’t a book per se).
    ehen oh! you pipu BN reported that Chiamanda was pregnant some time ago, she should have birthed the shild now? no update? Lemme gaan ask SDK..*Strolls away*

7. Nancy

March 1, 2016 at 9:54 am

This beautiful woman has come to melt my heart with so much love this raining morning.

i can actually close my eyes and see myself in this story . Chimamanda i love you so much . THank u for making me a proud Nigerian Woman . you are my Show off to my White friends,

8. Phoebe

March 1, 2016 at 12:54 pm

I shed a tear at the end, while every single part of this story was amazing, I couldn’t help but notice the lack of warmth and compassion of health care professionals towards patients. They are human beings each with a unique story whose lives do not have a lesser value.

9. NG

March 1, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Beautiful tribute!!!!!!
    Why am I wiping away tears?
    Noble deeds I guess remain the best tugs our hearts will feel.
    Thanks Chimaamanda. God bless Dr Olikoye and noble hearts like him.

10. [email protected]

March 1, 2016 at 1:20 pm

I just love her!! 🙂 🙂

11. Lalaf

March 1, 2016 at 1:46 pm

If she didnt tell u publically u she was pregnant why do u expect she should publicly announce she gave birth. Commend or critize her work and waka pass. Trust Nigerians. Next thing they will be using the pikin to abuse her, to face her child and stop forming feminist. Same thing they did when they found out she was married.only in Nigeria that a woman will introduce herself and the other person will be digging to find out if she is a MrS or a mother.this of which does not change the price of dollar, but only to compare themselves where they believe the person lacks

12. Ber

March 1, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Goddess.

13. Asa!

March 1, 2016 at 11:08 pm

God took extra care fashioning that brain of yours Chimamanda. Brilliant!