Beauty blogger Lola OJ is out with a new “How To” video and this time she shows us a DIY way of making exfoliating lip scrub in two different ways.
Here’s what she had to say:
Exfoliating your lips makes a big difference, though I know not many take it seriously and at one point I didn’t place much enthasis on it either!
But, if like me, you wear a lot of lipstick, it’s quite important that you maintain healthy lips.
Like exfoliating your face, which I would suggest weekly also, exfoliating your lips helps remove the dead skin on the surface of your lips which brings out new fresh layers making the lips soft, smooth and plump!
According to Lola OJ, her are some benefits of exfoliating your lips:
- With a smooth surface, lipstick application is nicer and lasts longer. Makes lip liner, lipstick and lips glosses much more effective.
- Lip exfoliation helps to retain lip moisture; preventing cracked or chapped lips.
- You won’t have to worry too much about exposure to the wind, dust (Hamattan season)
- Lip exfoliation can correct and prevent lip colouration/dark lips.
- Here is how you can make two of my favourite homage lip scrubs, these ingredients can easily be sourced in Nigeria so no excuse for not trying it out!
Coconut sugar lip scrub*
Virgin/Raw Coconut oil (1 teaspoon)
Sugar (1 teaspoon)
Raw honey (1 teaspoon)
Lime/lemon juice/ (1/2 teaspoon)
Shea butter lip scrub*
Sugar (1 teaspoon)
Raw honey (1/2 teaspoon)
Shea butter (1 teaspoon)
*Please note, these are quantities for a small make up container, can scale up as you wish.
- Using your clean fingers or a cotton bud, scoop up the mixture and apply generously over your lips.
- Leave it on for 5-15 mins.
- Massage in with a clean finger.
- Use a clean damp flannel/face towel to gently massage the mixture over the lips.
- Wipe of with another section of the damp flannel.
- Apply a lip moisturiser.
- Do so once a week for maximum effect.
Watch the video below: