Connect with us


Ex-Auditor General of Borno Loses Life in UNILAG Fire Incident



unilag guest house on fireThe National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA)  has confirmed a former Auditor General of Borno State, Abbah Kyariin dead in a fire outbreak that gutted a section of the University of Lagos Guest House in the early hours of today, Thursday 3rd March, 2016 in Lagos.

The victim of the unfavorable incident died of suffocation. He was said to be in the Shehu of Borno’s entourage attending the 2014/2015 convocation of the institution.

The Shehu of Borno, Abubakar Umar Garba El-Kanemi is the newly installed Chancellor of the Institution.

The fire which affected four rooms – A12, A13, A14 and A15  was reported to have started around 2.00 a.m, according to  the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

The spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Ibrahim Farinloye, confirmed the incident through a text message sent to NAN.

“The deceased will be flown to Maiduguri for burial today,’’ the text message read in part.

Efforts to speak with officials of the university, about the incident yielded no result as everyone claimed to be busy with the convocation events and could not talk to the press.

The three-day activities for the 2014/2015 convocation which started on Tuesday 1st March 2016 ends on Thursday 3rd March, 2016.

Photo CreditDaily Post

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) was established by the Federal Government of Nigeria in May 1976 to gather and distribute news on Nigeria and cover events of interest to Nigeria at the international level for the benefit of the Nigerian Media and the Public.


  1. Anon

    March 3, 2016 at 5:18 pm

    Very sad news.

  2. ElessarisElendil

    March 3, 2016 at 5:21 pm

    Wow! tragedy striking on what should be a day of happiness. May his soul rest in peace, my condolences to his family.

  3. mama dazel

    March 3, 2016 at 8:45 pm

    God rest his soul.

  4. Anie

    March 4, 2016 at 7:18 am

    May his soul rest in peace.
    I’m sure if there was a hostel close to it,the man might have been saved.
    Maybe this will enforce UniLag and it’s for department to start taking actions about fire outbreaks in the school.
    In all my years in that school,it has always been students that have put out every fire.
    In my year 1, I remember mathematics department caught on fire,it is students that quenched the fire running up and down the stairs. The fire department came and said there’s no water. Can you imagine???????
    When a shop in the shopping complex got burnt, boys jumped out their hostel in new hall to quench the fire and try to save the person(s) shop. The incompetent fire department took forever to get there and to even turn was wahala. And the fire department is like literally two minutes away from the shopping complex.
    Even the one that occurred in the MTH, it is students.
    Fir outbreaks in University of Lagos,are mostly dealt with by students. After which the fire department comes to look and do nothing.
    One day,the school will burn to the ground including the useless fire department.

  5. Abubakar Muhammad Atim

    March 4, 2016 at 9:06 am

    May his soul R.I.p.p

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Tangerine Africa

Star Features