Features

Life Hacks With Toby: 18 Unique Truths Every Mother Whose Child is Still a Baby Understands

dreamstime_l_33492694Not too long ago, I got to spend a little time with a family that is very dear to me. It was a wonderful reunion, as I practically grew up with them.

Well one of us now has a cute little baby boy, and we all couldn’t keep our eyes and hands off him. Yeah, he’s that adorable.

While playing with him one day, I noticed that a lot of things had changed around the house. This prompted me to have a conversation with the mom about some of these changes.

Below is the result of our discussion. They are 18 truths every mother whose child is still a baby understands.

Everything can go into the mouth
It doesn’t matter if it is a phone, toy, soap, remote control, tablet or keys etc. Anything and everything can enter the mouth if not under keen observation.

Everyone can easily learn and speak a strange language
One day I heard myself saying “kiki-kiki chuku-chuku-chuku putum-putum pom-pom dadadada-dadadada tititi-tatata” without planning to do so. That was the day I knew that learning a new language is not that difficult.

A baby’s smile is so adorable and it can melt a stony heart
Has a baby (especially the one that has a maximum of four teeth) ever smiled at you? There’s something so cute about it. It doesn’t matter the amount of stress the baby may have put you through, it becomes worth it once you see that smile.

Washing clothes just became one of your pastimes
I am yet to see a mother that doesn’t wash at least once in two days. If the baby in question has started crawling, then you may have to invest in a washing machine, especially if you have more than one child.

Watching a baby is a full time job
Watching a baby is a very focus-oriented job. And unlike other regular jobs, it is a round-the-clock job. If you have more than one child, then multiply your job responsibilities by the number of children you have.

You may never have to sleep for up to two hours without interruption
If you sleep without interruption for six hours, then you obviously don’t have a baby. Every mother knows that once a baby is born, the concept of ‘beauty sleep’ passes away. No matter how much of a sleeper you are, waking up regularly at odd hours and crazy intervals becomes a norm for you.

Sucking a baby’s nose and doing other ‘disgusting’ things isn’t impossible
When you have your first baby, you will discover that doing ‘disgusting’ things isn’t a big deal. Luckily you may never suck a baby’s nostril. But then, you will not escape having to change a baby’s diaper. Your baby may even urinate into your plate of food. And when that happens, you won’t get mad. You will rather count those as part of the joys of motherhood.

The scent of your house changes automatically
Maybe you have a particular air freshener whose fragrance you used to love. Well forget about that scent and start getting used to the scent of baby pears lotion, baby oil, powder etc.

You may never use the word “Privacy” again
First of all, babies don’t have respect for people’s privacy. Nothing embarrasses them, so they won’t feel shy and leave (when you want to have sex).

Secondly, being a mother could entail that you breastfeed your baby at odd times and in odd places. Yes, you may be speaking to a guy you used to have a crush on, and suddenly you will start breastfeeding without hesitating.

You can be patient and tolerant to a fault
Forget all those gragra wey you dey do o. Once you become a mother, hot temper go pack one side first. A baby will test your patience, try your understanding, play with your tolerance, and stretch your ability to forgive. Guess what? You will just keep putting up with it joyfully.

There is a strange joy that comes with tearing books and breaking things
One day my seven months old nephew took an exercise book and started tearing it slowly, enjoying the moment. He looked so satisfied that you can’t just get angry at that misplaced innocence.

If the house suddenly gets quiet, then mischief is being perpetrated somewhere
Babies are perpetual noise makers. If they get to keep quiet, then something very interesting is keeping them occupied. Sometimes they could get creative and start painting walls, ‘eating’ your phone, or trying to see if your tablet can float.

Finding something where you kept it will become a rare blessing
One day you will wish all your stuff can ring so you can flash them when you need them. Starting from your car keys, make up kits, cutlery and even the content of your handbags, you may never leave something and find them where you left them ever again.

Sleeping for less than eight hours isn’t as dangerous as doctors say
Forget about all that health talk on 8 hours of sleep. As a mother, if you get to sleep for up to five hours a day, then you are very lucky. In spite of that, you will remain healthy.

You can do 10 things at the same time easily
Imagine shushing a baby, answering a call, cooking fried rice, preparing cerelac, and making the bed etc. Those are some of the things you will get used to doing at the same time. Don’t worry; multi-tasking is a natural skill. You don’t have to go to a business school to learn it.

You can almost never do anything without interruption
Your days of watching a movie or doing anything without interruption are officially over. A baby loves attention and if interrupting you is the way to get it, he will gladly do it, even if it means crying for no reason.

It is possible to enjoy the same meal everyday for a month
It beats me how someone can enjoy eating just one type of meal everyday and not get tired. Well babies do this and they never complain.

Unconditional love is real
Some people have gotten burnt by love so much that they now believe that love doesn’t exist. Well, seeing a baby and his mother will tell you that unconditional love is not something that exists in Shakespearean novels alone, it is real.

If you are a mother and some of these points ring home, please share your experience in the comments section. If you have ever had to live with a baby, do likewise. And please share this note so that other mothers can see it.

Happy mother’s day (in arrears) to all the mothers in the house. Ndi nne Maama!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

Toby Nwazor is a free lance writer and motivational speaker who believes that life is meant to be lived and not just existed in. He is equally an entrepreneur with a lot of hands-on experience in business start-ups, marketing, and customer service. He passionately writes every Monday and Wednesday on www.mystartupceo.com about helping entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs build successful start-ups

1. Ada Ada

March 11, 2016 at 9:42 am

Lol @ wishing your things can ring so you can flash them, I can relate to that. Babies are one of the joys of life. I love being around babies, it can be quite exasperating but they’re worth the trouble. God bless all mommies.

• Osa

March 11, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Funniest part was “all the gra gra wey you dey do before will park to one side”

March 11, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Ada Ada, they are so wonderful. THey can be annoying o, especially when they scratch your new android phone or something. But even at that, you just can’t help loving them

2. Taiwo

March 11, 2016 at 9:46 am

looool! so true!

3. July

March 11, 2016 at 9:48 am

Dis write up is super accurate. My 6 months old baby has turned my life around, but has taught me the true meaning of love.

March 11, 2016 at 8:20 pm

It’s well with you July. Motherhood is a beautiful thing. Enjoy

4. Zaynab

March 11, 2016 at 9:48 am

This is so spot on. I have a toddler and an 8 month old so this hit home hard. For a long time I didn’t have much help around the house till my husband returned from work and it wasnt fun, to say the least. Whether you’re a stay at home mum or not, get all the help you need cos the body can only take so much stress..

March 11, 2016 at 8:20 pm

I concur completely. My sister has a similar story. It is not easy looking after a baby, especially if it is your first

5. jhennique

March 11, 2016 at 9:51 am

LOL. One question Toby……..You don born before?

March 11, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Hahahahahahaha. Very good question jhennique. I never born before o. But I have a cute and adorable little nephew who I love so much. His smile is just too adorable

6. L

March 11, 2016 at 9:51 am

Awww! I will patiently wait to enjoy these experience when the time is right. Kudos to the mothers out there. Great article it had me smiling all through.

March 11, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Thanks L. You will have your heart desire

7. Aderonke

March 11, 2016 at 9:57 am

loool very true…arrival of your baby changes your routines and life style unconsciously!

I love weddings like Kilode but when i had my baby, hian i just buy aso ebi, pray along with the bride & groom *sad face* and patiently wait for the pictures!
    I miss attending weddings, I can’t wait to resume *covers face*

March 11, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Eiyaaaa. Being a parent usually comes with so many sacrifices. But the little bundles of joy are worth every sacrifice. Cheers Aderonke

8. Nyonyo

March 11, 2016 at 9:58 am

Awwww. Toby, God bless your soul. Am a mother so I can relate to everything you have said pretty well. Motherhood is BLISS!!!

March 11, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Bless you too my dear. Thanks for reading

9. Ada

March 11, 2016 at 10:08 am

I so kwa!

10. luvnaija

March 11, 2016 at 10:15 am

Awwwww can’t wait to experience all of these and much more! I will March into my testimony with triplets in this month of March in Jesus name amen! I also pray for any woman desiring the fruit of the womb for God to cause a creative miracle of conception to happen for us! Amen

March 11, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Ameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!

11. K

March 11, 2016 at 10:16 am

I enjoyed reading this. Kudos to you Toby. I love babies so much and I love biting their soft cheeks and tickling their feet. I really can’t wait to have mine.

• Dr. N

March 11, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Biting?

12. Anne

March 11, 2016 at 10:27 am

Spot on, the joys and hidden pains of motherhood. My brain is so blank right now, i cant even think of a tv station to watch. Its always on children’s cartoon channel. Here I am asking myself why i still subscribe for netflix; it takes me 2 weeks to finish a movie after all the pausing, rewind and play.
    And ofcourse with motherhood, came complete bye bye to headphones or earpiece.
    But i just love every moment because these little one grow so quick.

March 11, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Lol @ watching cartoon. Makes me remember my kid brother. I watched almost all the Tom and Jerry cartoon series available. And what’s that one again….em….nickelodeon or something. Lol

13. Mammi

March 11, 2016 at 10:30 am

Babies! Motherhood! Haa! I mean you can't fully prepare yourself for what to expect.
    FTM right here and my baby is almost 3months. The past weeks have opened my eyes to what it means to be a mother.
    Omo,shout out to every mother…infact to every woman…we are amazing!

Sleep??? What's that ??? The first time my baby slept at night 5hour stretch,I kept pecking her saying thank you!??.
    Diaper change…Just when you are done with it and about tossing the diaper into the bin, out comes another poo. With a mischievious grin on her face saying'sorry momma I just had to do that again ?'
    Sleep time :I have done the remix of different lullabies. It doesn't end with putting her down. You have to do so with so much finesse. And noiselessly too. Cos if she stirs and wakes,you are back to another rock-to-sleep cycle.
    Time.. .she is the boss of my time. You can only fix breakfast for yourself when baby permits you to.??
    Or is it when she cries, you have to make ten guesses on what could be the problem and provide the solution. So never guess wrongly….hahahaha
    Kai! I won't lie. There are days I cry. There are days I miss my freedom. There are days I feel like running away from it all.
    Yet one smile from my little princess,just one smile and the sound of her coo, melts all the stress. Leaving me proud and fulfilled to be called a mother.

• Babym

March 11, 2016 at 11:55 am

Looool what makes me laugh is when u try to put them down and they just open their eye and look at u like ‘Woman! I know u did not just try to put me down and leave me alone! U Berra pick me up or there gonna be some serious problems in this house! ?’

• Tamales

March 11, 2016 at 1:03 pm

I chuckled reading your post….I’m up at 0300 nursing my two week old. And she’s refusing to be put back to bed. And baby girl could care less that I ve only had 2 hours of sleep. Life of a mama.

March 11, 2016 at 8:36 pm

“you have to make ten guesses on what could be the problem and provide the solution”

Kudos. It always beats me how mothers, especially the experienced ones are able to do that. They usually decipher what could be wrong just by looking at the baby

• Kome

March 12, 2016 at 1:08 am

I so get you! I remember everything you’ve described so clearly including the days I cried. But it gets better with time. My little one is 7 months now and motherhood is a lot more fun now that she can give me signs of what is wrong. Hang in there

14. tee

March 11, 2016 at 10:46 am

I can relate on so many levels. 🙂 The unconditional love is so real. Sometimes i look at my children and hope in my mind that i love them as much as they love me. Its in their eyes i see it everyday.

15. Big Tee

March 11, 2016 at 10:46 am

“If the house suddenly gets quiet, then mischief is being perpetrated somewhere”, very very true o, when little kids are quiet, they are up to something, me I will kukuma keep quiet and tiptoe around the house so I can catch them in the act. sometimes it feels like a game, I’ll be waiting for them to be silent so I can tiptoe around to find them, they too will be waiting for my silence as a cue for them to stop what they’re doing.

March 11, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Hahahahaha. So funny. I actually pictured what it would be like with y’all trying to catch each other.

16. Niola

March 11, 2016 at 10:52 am

Absolutely agree especially the unconditional love bit. I often think what have i done to warrant such love, oh well surely the stretch marks, breast feeding etc (lol). Oh yes and the disgusting things, bought a nebuliser for mucus suction but when I saw that it wasn’t so effective and my baby was so uncomfortable I didn’t know when I dug my mouth into that nostrils, yep disgusting!!! but this things we cant explain now I understand a tinny -winny bit of God’s love towards us. I however don’t use the boo-cucu language as I believe babies are super smart and have the ability to understand you, they just cant communicate in clear words, using the baby language may hinder quick development

17. Help!

March 11, 2016 at 11:03 am

Since we are talking about babies, please can BNers who live in Houston, TX recommend a good clinic/hospital/midwife that accepts health insurance (health insurance marketplace provider and not MEDICAID/CHIP) for prenatal care, delivery and postnatal care. Thanks in advance. Too much information on google, I’m trying to gather info from people instead.

• SS

March 11, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Theresa Robinson – obgyn @Woman’s Hospital of Texas
      Dr LA @west Houston medical centre

• Help

March 12, 2016 at 12:12 am

Thanks a lot. Will note that.

18. Omaa

March 11, 2016 at 11:29 am

I smiled all through. I can totally relate.

19. LEM

March 11, 2016 at 11:52 am

I can so relate to this! Especially loving unconditionally no matter how much they annoy you, sleepless nights and when the babies are quiet know that some mischief is happening somewhere. I have always been a neat freak, but motherhood changed all that. Before I had kids I always felt I would get it together and not have a messy household as was the case with most homes where there were babies/toddlers. What did I know then. Now, I just keep harmful objects out of their way and manage the house as it is lol.

March 11, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Big lol at managing the house as it is. It’s well jare.

20. Babym

March 11, 2016 at 12:01 pm

It is the lack of sleep that is the Bigg shock to my system! Do u know how many times I have googled how to make babies sleep ?, sometimes me and the bubba will wake up and cry together, I always tell him there is no monopoly on who can cry o lool. I wouldn’t change a thing though u r rewarded with all that unconditional priceless love ❤️

March 11, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Babym you are so funny. How does the crying together thing work? Who will now cuddle the other? Lol

• Motunrayo

March 14, 2016 at 4:14 am

The only thing that kept me sane was an app on my ipod that plays white noise. Mehn, before long my baby was letting me do 5 hr stretches all because he had started sleeping to sounds of 0cean waves or rain drops. Best $2 I ever spent

21. onyinye

March 11, 2016 at 12:22 pm

I smiled all through his, spot on! i have a 2 year old and a 10 month old and i tell you, life is a roller coaster. however, whenever i get the chance to have some alone time, I miss them all over again and feel like running home to them. Motherhood is indeed a beautiful thing, those little men rock my world big time….

March 11, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Spot on Onyii. Motherhood is priceless (I am speaking from other people’s experience)

22. Chu

March 11, 2016 at 12:31 pm

I learnt the meaning of unconditional love/ My love for my husband is a choice, I love him everyday despite the things I may not be keen about. But love for my baby, that is helpless. It just floods you and you can’t control the feeling. You KNOW that you would die or kill for your child.

March 11, 2016 at 8:48 pm

“My love for my husband is a choice. But my love for my baby is helpless” That’s a great quote. Think I’m gonna tweet that

23. Iceicebaby

March 11, 2016 at 1:25 pm

@Babym, google sleep training methods and find one that works for your baby. I used the cry it out method for my 13 month old for about 4 days and now she sleeps all night in her own room even! She’s almost 16 months now and we’re all good. Babies are different , so again, try different methods till you find what works. Hang in there, e-hugs.

• Babym

March 11, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Awww thanks Hun, looks like I just have to be brave enough to try the cry it out o as iv tried the others to no avail lol. I guess I just have to remind myself it’s for our collective good lol. E-hugs right back and kisses to ur little one.

24. Vivadrew

March 11, 2016 at 1:39 pm

look at me laughing all through. Everything listed out is sooo me and my little Fi’. The joy of motherhood is so beauuuutiful and enchanting.

25. chilli

March 11, 2016 at 1:41 pm

meennn my boy just clocked one and i can only thank God for this first year!!! i can totally relate with this toby!! he loves Cereal soooo much and God bless us the day there wont be any @ home!! The putting things in his mouth was worrisome until i went for a playdate with him and saw it ws contagious. They will frustrate you, exasperate you, make u worried, elevate your B.p and yet make Life worth Living with just a smile or laugh. God bless them all jare.

March 11, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Congratulations to him and to you too chilli. One year experience don enter your CV be that o. You are absolutely right about their smiles

26. ify

March 11, 2016 at 1:55 pm

I have learn a lot from being a mother and a caring one for that matter, babies are the gift from God almighty for us called woman to nurture and look after them , The kind of Grace he has Given us men alone cants stands it, is it the patience, tolerate, sleepless nights, and working all around to put meals for husband, and other member’s of your families. Kudos to all mothers and intending mothers in the house. we are the best and always remain the best. Ndinne maaa he sokwa

27. Udie

March 11, 2016 at 1:57 pm

About to be a mom… always been a private, don’t dare disturb my peace type of person. So frightened I won’t love n give my baby all the attention she deserves. Or I’d grow resentful? Any ideas please, the fear is giving poor lil me sleepless nights.

March 11, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Don’t be scared Udie. It is a natural trait. One of my aunties used to say even reserved women become talkatives and unreserved when their babies start coming.

28. DLP

March 11, 2016 at 2:21 pm

I was just smiling all through so so so on point. Well done writer. I have a 2 year old and she is on another level

29. Yems

March 11, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Let me add that sleep takes on a new meaning with a young one in the house.
    My husband wonder how I manage to sleep with my 14month old daughter climbing me like I’m I’m bouncing castle.

30. Olamiji

March 11, 2016 at 3:27 pm

My 13 month old son has always being an adventurer, trying to see if your tablet can float caught my memory and interrupting your privacy.

March 11, 2016 at 8:54 pm

OMG did he do that to you? Lol

31. Hashva

March 11, 2016 at 4:23 pm

My 6 months old baby gives me life. It is fun watching her personality evolve. The lightening quick way she moves from crying to giving them 2 toothed smile, makes me laugh.
    I am a working mom, and there’s a joy that comes when i get home and she gives me a huge smile as soon as she sees me.
    It is amazing the amount of love you can have for a person. Bless.

March 11, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Awwwwww. That two-teeth smile. So fine. So innocent. So cheerful. For a moment it makes you realize that this world is not all that bad. And for a moment, you equally have the mindset that whatever stress you are going through is worth it.

32. Nonamespls

March 11, 2016 at 5:29 pm

My almost 3 year old is a bundle of energy! If i could bottle and sell that energy, redbull and the likes would be out of business. He is at this stage where he says these adorable, funny things My mum n MIL on my case for another child i am like what?!

33. o

March 11, 2016 at 5:46 pm

Awwwwwwww….

34. Idomagirl

March 11, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Awwwww. Lovely post. 🙂

35. tre

March 11, 2016 at 11:28 pm

Udie it comes naturally. .I never was a big fan of babies,would never offer to baby sit for anyone but from the time my Lil boy was put in my arms, The love is unconditional. I will go to the end of the world and back.the love is put in your heart to give.i can’t boast of being able to tolerate other people’s children but since I’ve had mine I understand the concept of love in spite of anything…

36. Onyie

March 11, 2016 at 11:55 pm

I don’t have children yet but my sister has a 7 month old. I remember the first time i met him, i fell in love instantly – my own definition of love at first sight. But then i also remember being very tired from having to play with him and trying to get him to sleep when i haven’t been able to sleep at all. I also had to learn how to speak his language so we could have conversations (for real though they are centered around his mom’s boobies). Babies are exhausting but i love that little guy with all my heart and i would sacrifice my life for his.

37. ThisisEseosa

March 12, 2016 at 12:37 am

There is absolutely nothing like motherhood. Its the hardest job in the world and the most rewarding. My son is the most important, most precious person in my life!!! After God, its my precious little boy.

You forgot to add that a mother’s ears are built to last. Babies voices when they are on a crying spree are so loud. Blood of Jesus! But no shaking, its all in a day’s work.

Sleep? Is that the name of a person, place or thing? I have no idea what sleep is anymore. My son wakes up every 2 hours to feed at night. My body has adjusted that I now wake up just before he does. The only day he slept for 4 hours, I almost died with worry. I didn’t sleep a wink. I kept checking that he was still breathing and everything was okay. Lol.

Mothers are the greatest composers. Azzin, there’s nothing we can’t turn into a song. We even remix rap songs.

Ah! Motherhood! I’d do it all over again without a second’s hesitation. Mother’s rock mehn!

38. Moyo

March 12, 2016 at 6:03 am

This article and the comments br0ught back memories for me. My daughter once took my phone to the bathroom to wash it, as she claimed it was dirty. I could only stare at her. The phone was dirty. My son when he was about 2 had a passion for throwing things next house so once he picks something that he feels is taking your attention away from him, he goes to the balcony and throws to the next house, phones, slippers, the laundry basket lid.