BN TV

Nigeria’s Top 10 Fashion Icons… According to BattaBox | Watch

Toke Makinwa for Wanni Fuga Holiday 2016 Collection - BellaNaija - December2015001

There’s no denying how stylish we Nigerians are, Olajumoke Orisaguna is a perfect example that style is everywhere on the streets of Lagos and the rest of the country. In this BattaBox video, Jane is telling us who she thinks are the top 10 fashion icons in Nigeria. The list features Banky W, Rita Dominic, Agbani Darego and Genevieve Nnaji to name a few.

batta box jane bella naija april 2016

With Toke Makinwa at number 9 and Alex Ekubo at number 4, watch the video to find out who made the list and who made the number 1 spot!

Watch the Video

1. Apples

April 6, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Wetin I wan take the list do???? I need light and fuel now!!!

• Surely

April 7, 2016 at 6:12 am

Where did they find this one with her fake rubbery afro abeg? She made a list of good looking nigerians say na fashion icons. #byefelicia

PS: It’s Fuh-lah-keh *rme*

2. Emmanuel

April 6, 2016 at 3:34 pm

ALL MEN CHEAT!!!

Caroline Danjuma is RIGHT. Now, let me explain…

(Caroline Danjuma’s Dictionary)

MAN /man/
    (noun) Plural: men

An adult male or boy that display such qualities (like massive wealth, love for beautiful and fair women (attracted to their exterior not their character), interest in far younger women, extremely generous with cash/gifts and dominant) that men are traditionally supposed to have.

__________________________________________________

So technically, if you fall short of her definition, you no be MAN…

• Baby gurl

April 6, 2016 at 5:20 pm

Wrong post Uncle Emmanuel.

3. Squaf

April 6, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Do we even have fashion icons in nigeria. None of them celebrtities have created a trend everyone jumped on.abi fashion icon isnt abt influencing with fashion? They are good dressers not fashion icons.. Thanks

• Baby gurl

April 6, 2016 at 5:27 pm

I haven’t watched the vid but on ur thoughts of “none of them celebrities have created a trend everyone jumped on”, Ituen Basi comes to mind. Of course she didn’t invent Oleku (Short Iro and Buba) but she sure as hell brought in back to the 21st century. Her modern twist on Oleku did damage to our eyes circa 2012. Everyone with ankara as small as one yard was in Oleku back then.

• S!

April 6, 2016 at 9:51 pm

I saw Alex Ekubo at number 4 and I don’t want to watch the video. Alex? Number 4? Alex doesn’t even deserve to be in the top 100

4. Iphee

April 6, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Agree with some of the names on your list – Genevieve, RMD, Rita, Banky W, Toke ( used to really like her style but recently she seems to be trying too hard especially her make up game kilode her skin looks translucent these days – some times it pays to be a fresh faced beauty )
    . I also like Betty Irabo’s style.. I believe Mai Atafo should have also made the list ,
    Uti N. ( though his ‘I must clap back attitude’ makes him lose points )Mochedda and Zainab Balogun ( though she is mostly hit or miss but she is so cute) should be on the supplementary list (lol)

5. Christian Sister

April 6, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Couldn’t even finish watching the video. The presenter’s expressions, ,mannerisms, and intonation were just irritating. And this list is ZERO. How is Genevieve the number one fashion icon in Nigeria?? Kissing ass are we?

• Bambi

April 6, 2016 at 4:21 pm

So who do you think is the number one then?

• Sabi

April 6, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Toke Maks.

• battabox

April 7, 2016 at 11:21 am

so true this girl is a serious wannabe fire her pls

6. Natu

April 6, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Fashion icons?? Girl where? Lol

7. Meah

April 6, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Top 10 in Nigeria or Lagos?? sometimes me thinks people confuse the two…

8. Okoro

April 6, 2016 at 5:22 pm

This girls must be high on some Amsterdam white widow skunk.Fashion icons? These?

9. Cynical

April 6, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Biko,summary abeg anyone????? Ain’t about to waste my MB on this one.

10. Sabi

April 6, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Finally watched the video. That presenter tested my patience but glory be to God, I endured till the end. First of all, this list is just like it was made in 2000. Like, hello? Toke No. 9, Genevieve No. 1? Ni bo? I am not in the slightest bit a fan of Toke but puhleese that woman slays every single time! I know y’all r saying fashion icons ke? Which country? But abeg na we have Toke, Agbani, Mai (and his goat hair shoes), Lisa Folawiyo (U need to see her instagram feed)…… honestly that’s it imho. “Icon” is a word that is just thrown away like pure water bag these days sef. Chai.

11. bruno

April 6, 2016 at 6:01 pm

we have no fashion icons in nigeria. only people who dress well.
    mocheddah is the closest thing to a fashion icon we have in naija.

I don’t know why people like genny’s style. her style is so boring and safe. nothing exciting about the way she dresses.

• Cece

April 7, 2016 at 6:58 pm

This is the first comment from Bruno i have liked.

Genny is forever overated . A style icon is someone who is creative, stylish and inspiring in a ‘genuine’ way and not for attention seeking purposes. Mocheddah is definitely stylish as she seems to create her own style.

Again, a Style Icon is someone who starts a fashion trend for herself that everyone wants to cop.. Toju Foyeh Is an example, with her gele inspired head piece.

Who else? Hmmmmmmmmm

12. wat

April 6, 2016 at 6:14 pm

I don’t actually get this so called list, u put toke on spot 9 and wat abt d faces she makes, this is so oh my gosh

13. Hesey

April 6, 2016 at 6:27 pm

HMMMM…..(I dont have something nice to say)

14. slayvieve

April 6, 2016 at 6:43 pm

I couldn’t agree more,the list correct die. Genevieve, remains nigeria fashion icon I know, she makes every clothe look beautiful, everyone knows about that.

15. Janeee

April 6, 2016 at 8:48 pm

Seriously?? Rita Dominic is the only fashion/style icon artist in Nigeria! She slays in everything she wears and she has a way of turning very simple outfits into statements! Y’all are blind and prejudiced

16. nnenne

April 7, 2016 at 12:19 am

Gene is number one, truly.

17. Dee one

April 7, 2016 at 1:53 am

I didn’t watch the video but fact that Genevieve is number one has rendered the list null and void. I also think that we do not have fashion icons in Nigeria but very good dressers or slayers like we call them now and Rita Dominic is top on that list for me closely followed by toke and mochedda. Well Nkiru Anumudu is the closest to an icon that we have.

18. Letty

April 7, 2016 at 4:25 am

Hate her or love her nkiru anumudu is the only western dressing style icon in nija since circa 1986 this woman has been a wonder to behold..when you see her in person she is awesome I know she’s getting older but by jove she slays it all the time…if she changes her hair darker It will be the icing on the cake…Lisa is no fashion icon wearing I’ll fitted brand names without the shape height or personality is rubbish she never looks well put together. ..the wonky notice me shoes don’t do it for me…..without contradictions i live abroad I am sick and tired of seeing western clothes it actually irritates the crap out of me…I wear Ankara dresses to work and Americans can’t get enough of them…I go to stores as and get the vip treatment. …they ask if I’m an African princess..I get oohs and aahs. ..men and women saying you look so beautiful. ……

Please give us an icon that celebrates African prints and designs there’s a lot to celebrate with our clothes bikonunu

19. Jeje

April 7, 2016 at 10:47 am

How could this list be made without NKIRU ANUMUDU? Who is fashion in Nigeria? She’s easily our most photographed person in the whole country! Love or hate her fashion sense…
    And as far as others go, the second closest we have is Toke Makinwa. She’s an icon, really. I know you guys hate her 😉 but be objective guys
    Genevieve, I guess should be in third place
    Then maybe Lisa Folawiyo? If her outfits on Instagram are as popular to people outside Instagram (I doubt)

20. Marian

April 8, 2016 at 8:23 pm

I like DJ cuppy sha, she got me wanting to wear Ankara everywhere. I just need to fine a good and affordable tailor.