News

“No Fuel” trends on Twitter as Nigerians Cry Out about the Ongoing Fuel Scarcity

BellaNaija.com

Fuel-ScarcityThe fuel scarcity has been biting Nigerians hard for about 5 weeks now with this week been the worst it has been for a long time…and it doesn’t look like it is coming to an end soon.

The pain, suffering and financial loss people have been experiencing since this long standing fuel scarcity began has been horrible.

People now spend a large chunk of their day on queues in filling stations, waiting to get fuel at almost double or triple the normal price; bus fares have tripled, and businesses are running at a loss on a daily basis. Filling stations do not even sell as much as the customers want and they even refuse to sell in kegs in some instances.

The electricity situation is not helping matters, as citizens have been lamenting over poor power and high electricity bills. Right now, it is difficult to get an Uber, and if you are lucky to find one, the rates have almost quadrupled.

Celebrities like J Martins and Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde are some of the stars that have spoken out about the difficulties being faced during this period.

Nigerians have also gone on twitter to express their plight as the fuel scarcity persists.

See the tweets below.

BellaNaijarians, how are you coping with the fuel situation? Or do you know any filling station that is selling into keg/jerrycan? ?

1. The girl who flies planes

April 5, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Una for kuku leave Oga Jonah make e kontinu!
    Ntoor from over here!
    *tongue out*
    Change has come!
    Kwarruption kwarruption cannot give light or fuel!
    E better make Diezani dey steal but give us light! We did not know the money was missing se’!
    You cannot miss what you did not know was missing in the first place!
    Ekpele effrybody!

• nene+

April 5, 2016 at 4:38 pm

After crying Febuhari? its now fuel cry?
      Mtcheewww.

• Just passing by

April 5, 2016 at 8:38 pm

Goat, just like the Israelites were crying to Moses to have left them in Egypt. Why can’t you guys have patience. Nothing good comes easy. The oil thieves are trying to hold the country to ransom . to mortgage your future for pittance now. No please let us hold firm. At this point I will call for Buhari to play dirty too and revoke licences and give to those who are ready to follow the rules.

• Busy Lady

April 6, 2016 at 1:03 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!! THE BEST COMENT EVER !! NGWANU, OSETIGO !!

2. Queen Bee

April 5, 2016 at 2:47 pm

it’s really worrisome, the state of this country is getting worse by day. No light, no fuel, the heat is unbearable. when will this end? even the rich are complaining, I regret supporting Buhari this suffering is too much, he should have made himself Minister of Tourism

3. Pee

April 5, 2016 at 2:51 pm

I think is best we all stay home , until there’s fuel for one to move around , this whole idea of spending large chunk of time on fuel queues or buying black market doesn’t add up for me. This suffering is becoming unbearable.

• nene

April 5, 2016 at 4:41 pm

gbam. even business owners should close their shops

4. Apples

April 5, 2016 at 3:03 pm

So that’s how I’m stranded!!!!!!!

5. Cindy

April 5, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Did Toke Makinwa just say the ‘standard of living keeps rising’? Lady I love you but please it is called ‘cost of living’. Standard of living is actually falling.
    Can Buhari stop travelling and sit is arse down?! Petroleum minister my foot! Deal with the problems at home first! And sign the effing budget!?

• Biker Chic

April 5, 2016 at 3:30 pm

See who is correcting Toke. The word is “his” and not “is” Cindy, next time remove the effing log in your eyes.

• Trey

April 5, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Shut up Okada rider! Cindy ‘s was clearly a typo while Toke’s is plain ignorance and compound stupidity.

• Biker Chic (Okada/MotoCee all jhoin)

April 5, 2016 at 7:26 pm

If Toke is stupid you are just plain daft. Toke we know who are you and shorty both combined?

• Cindy

April 5, 2016 at 9:03 pm

You seem to have something against me dear as I’ve also seen your other comment. You may even know me personally who knows? You won’t be the first on BN. You can see that I corrected Toke without being vindictive because I’m her fan. You on the other hand, where is the bitterness coming from? Fine it is ‘his’ and not ‘is’ since that’s what you want to chop. Happy now?

• lol Warri no dey carry last

April 5, 2016 at 9:14 pm

@Biker Chic, lol you are obviously a waffi babe. Warri no dey carry last. I gree your own jare. You no send any baggar. I read your comeback on Sisi Yemi’s pepper soup. No mind all these over saka £$%^&&* on BN.

6. Busarni

April 5, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Lol; bubu will resolve the issue when he comes back from China; he has been booked for the China trip.
    You wanted change ; now that change has come you guys are still complaining. Sai buhari joor

• Loool

April 5, 2016 at 4:47 pm

There is no point gloating afterall you who didn’t vote APC are also suffering it so what the heck? People have a right to vote for who they want. Some Nigerians and pettiness, I am yet to see the Labour party mocking those who voted for the Tories because they understand everyone cannot be the same. Afterall if people were not fed up with Jonathan they wouldn’t have voted this old man into power either.

• Busarni

April 5, 2016 at 5:09 pm

I don’t normally do this but you are really a coward if you have to change your name to address me. It’s my opinion and yes I didn’t vote for APC; so what?

7. MeBeforeMe

April 5, 2016 at 3:28 pm

It’s bad enough that there’s no light and no fuel, that the weather is unbearably hot. But I also have to live with my neighbours’ two extraordinarily loud generators. I hear the soul-crushing sound even when I’m at work. I dread nights and I no longer look forward to weekends. I’m tired.

• Anon

April 5, 2016 at 4:06 pm

😀 you hear it at work ke 😀 I really dont want to be in your shoes.

• St.Yves

April 5, 2016 at 4:52 pm

Lol. As in the sound of the gen is now permanently registered in your brain. I feel you.

8. LOL

April 5, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Oil oil everywhere, not a drop for us! When everywhere else is experiencing cheapest oil prices for aeons and economies aren’t buying oil….Nigeria is lacking. I would laugh but the irony, humiliation is too much. People will say our culture this our culture that…truth is our culture is not progressing! We need to re-examine this our much lauded culture which continues to allow corruption to breed unfettered….where people feel so helpless they are pining for a less sadistic abuser rather than freedom.

• oko

April 5, 2016 at 3:56 pm

we have no culture.

9. Junie

April 5, 2016 at 4:14 pm

If I say I did not expect this I am a liar. Unfortunately the worst is yet to come. That’s what you people get for voting a brain dead presiden . If GEJ was still in power at least by now the scarcity would have been over. At least for the time being. GEJ is not the best for Nigeria I agree but he is by far better than this old fool.
    How we allowed ourselves be deceived is beyond m . Thank God I didn’t vote for the clueless man and he was busy calling Jonathan clueless. Nigerians fasten your seat belt. It’s gonna be a long ride.

• TeeS

April 5, 2016 at 4:42 pm

This isn’t the time to throw blame or complain that you didn’t vote for Buhari. What makes you think if GEJ was there , the crisis wouldn’t be the same. Granted times are tough for Nigerians back home, but throwing blame isn’t going to solve it. Citizens need to strategize how to figure this electricity thing for one. It may be pricey initially but solar electricity will be the best, since there’s pretty much sun all year round. Eventuallu, no one would need PHCN. Maybe when big companies boycott them and more than half of the country and they are not making money. They’ll up their game. At least if there’s no fuel, one can at least have electricity. This isn’t a perfect plan, but if the government is useless, you can’t wait on them forever.
      How do you guys go to work tho! If a nation cannot provide adequate means to fuel vehicles for transportation , how does it expect its citizens to be productive ???

10. esta

April 5, 2016 at 4:24 pm

the way people were hyping Buhari hen I really thought there was going to be an improvement in the standard of living but it really worse especially for business owners was doing my accounts this past month kai when i saw how much I spent on fuel alone money that I should have recorded as income just gone like that plus cost of maintaining generators mehn i am tired..i am so tired

11. Sad

April 5, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Nigeria has never had luck with leaders for decades. Big shame. the most populous black nation. APC, PDP all the same bunch of inept corrupt human beings who only desire to loot the country dry. The average Nigerian enables this, celebrating ill gotten wealth without ever asking questions. This is the result, the system gonna collapse

12. common sense

April 5, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Obama: He is doing a really good job
    Trudeau: Yes indeed
    Zombies (replying live from fuel queue): Even America knows that Buhari is doing excellently.

Voice of Reason (the citizen): I have been on this queue since 5am. As number 76 and to buy the fuel at 200Naira a litre.

Oh dogged supporter “where is thy sense?”

13. Spunky

April 5, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Mtceeeeeeewww! Person shoe don begin dey file eh. No forming big boi this period Ooo…I park car dey use keke. Lol! E go better.

14. nene

April 5, 2016 at 4:41 pm

you know its funny how people are saying we should’ve left jonathan. all we are experiencing now was hidden very well. it was hidden by every single government before buhari. buhari exposed everything, somehow things were still going to go from bad to worse. the problem i have with buhari is that he’s not talking to nigerians. he prefers to travel instead of addressing us on tv. back in the day there would be riot but nigerians are tired of rioting, they are weak, we need to find our strength to tell this government to give us answers.

• Mimi

April 5, 2016 at 5:55 pm

I almost cried when I saw your comment. You articulated all I was thinking so well. God bless you

15. Fola Coco

April 5, 2016 at 5:29 pm

#WhereisTheChange

Perfect timing to go on a trip to Europe/America/Asia,anywhere but this ‘Hell’ on earth..Exchange rate isn’t helping to make this trip a reality.

11hours at filing station
    No light
    Food is damn expensive
    Sun sef dey vex.

In the midst of all this there are some people who are kuku ma not feeling any of these. God dey sha.

16. Chu

April 5, 2016 at 5:41 pm

I personally believe this goes beyond Buhari or Gej. Different administratoions same problems. Some people are engineering this and the sooner we address THAT, the better for us.

17. Fola Coco

April 5, 2016 at 6:07 pm

It’s a sabotage against Buhari and his change campaign. Unfortunately,things will have to move from bad to worse before we see/reap/enjoy the #change we voted for..

I still believe in Sai Baba,it is not easy though but as a nation we will pull through.

• Mr. Egghead

April 5, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Mr. Buhari and his “change campaign” under sabotage? The same change campaign called his predecessor ‘clueless’ when he also claimed sabotage.
      Please don’t bring up sabotage

• ibiza

April 5, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Amen! You speak the truth bro/sis. It is hard to explain this to the common man but its the reality. (Un)Known people are the the cause if this. Many top guns don’t want Buhari’s to succeed because of his mantra and what he stands for…
      …even the leader if his party secretly…

• Mabel

April 5, 2016 at 11:34 pm

@ Ibiza..Really, why is he travelling so much though? Maybe the sabotage story would work if he seemed to care, if he showed some level of empathy for the plight of the people I could buy it. I cannot trust a leader who leaves his people in their times of great need, he is like the captain of the ship who takes off when the ship is sinking. Why don’t he try to sit at home and sort out this crisis. If oil is being held hostage then let him look into solar, water and wind power alternatives. Aren’t there tons of unemployed scientists and engineers who could combine their collective intelligence and solve this problem without having to look to outsiders. It is barbaric what people are being put through in 20fckn16, the mental health of the citizenry is at stake, inhaling generator fumes 24/7 is an express pass to cancer and chronic respiratory illness. This is an abomination!

18. Chi

April 5, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Lol! That’s a sad laughter! They went around shouting change and some people that lacked foresight voted for this cursed govt. and it’s wicked leaders. Damn! I wish I could force em all out of power nd imprison em for life, I wish the cries of Nigerians touch their heart…
    Nigerians voted for change buh he had tourism n mind. Lemme restrain myself from saying some things, it’s just so sad [email protected] I (nd I believe many other Nigerians) see no silver lining at the end of this cloud.
    Buhari nd others fear God!

19. Chi

April 5, 2016 at 6:51 pm

The only thing we’ve gained from this government is inexplicable hardship, terrorism, economic meltdown etc nd our President has been travelling round the Globe. These days there are so many Police men on the road that are ready to kill you for not giving them N20.
    Nigerians voted for change buh he had tourism n mind.
    Buhari nd others fear God!

20. Chi

April 5, 2016 at 6:59 pm

The only thing we’ve gained from this government is inexplicable hardship, terrorism, economic meltdown etc nd our President has been travelling round the Globe. Even Police people are ready to kill you for N20, you should see how numerous they are. On the highways (nd low ways too) these days.
    Buhari nd others fear God!

21. Ajala & foodie

April 5, 2016 at 7:00 pm

I cannot believe people are still on this APC/ PDP palava. I have always known that Buhari was not the answer to the problems facing our country but neither was GEJ. We need visionaries, problem solvers, people with empathy and top notch business sense in power and if they lack this then they need to hire people that have these characterisics. We has citizens need to hold our officials accountable to us by:
    1) Stop complaining or whining and start asking intelligent questions of our officials. Such as: why is the global market complaining about supply exceeding demand for oil and gas yet as a major player in the industry we are we suffering lack in a time that even none producing countries are experiencing excess? Someone might bring up the issue of our having to import refined/usable gas, and the issue of forex. This is the time for our government to work something with countries that don’t produce but refine. Trading by batter, you sell us refined gas pending when we are able to get our act together and we let you drill for a decade at an affordable price/ rate or some kind of negotiation. Why is that not being done? I mean we still do not have a concrete reason for the current fuel crisis and this people think it is ok to just keep quiet.
    2) Get over this bi-partisan cow dung, all this ” I am for Buhari, I am for Jonathan” needs to stop. In as much as I did not vote for either Buhari or GEJ, I still concur that Buhari indicates a change for our country, that is, come 4 years should things be the same as they are today, he will be voted out just like GEJ. Mediocrity is no longer an option for us. But more importantly proponents of GEJ or PDP need to know that your government, the one your supported and still support had a role to play in all of this, they lacked vision, empathy and discernment just as much as our present government. The issues that plague us did not happen overnight, it was decades in the making. You don’t put on weight over 20 years and expect the weight to come off in a few months and for pro Buhari’s you don’t keep blaming the meals you ate or going after the ice cream and donuts you had 5 or even 1 year ago and choosing to change your diet to cakes and gelato believing that will solve your problem. These politicians want just that, to play on our supposed narrow mindedness by pit us against each other thereby taking focus off them and the questions we should be asking to hold them accountable, and we being the typical Nigerians are doing just that. Do you think GEJ is queuing for fuel or sleeping without power?
    It is time for us all to grow up and start looking beyond our party affiliations, and start looking at the bigger picture.

• Tru

April 6, 2016 at 11:23 am

Can I give you a standing ovation while liking your comment a 1000 times? It gives me hope to see that some folks actually apply thought and analytical thinking before making a comment. The truth is, it’s the same set of non-thinkers and poor, greedy leaders that occupy every single sphere of the government, irregardless of political affiliations. That is why we are yet to see any deep, meaningful progress.
      Well, the Minister has said the fuel situation will start easing today. Let’s watch to see of they can actually put things in place to keep to their word and prevent a terrible crisis like this from happening again.

22. mrs chidukane

April 5, 2016 at 7:45 pm

It’s not funny. There’s fuel in the east oh, no scarcity yet. Yesterday we bought at 170 for the first time. Our chief petroleum minister should stop traveling and come and give us answers biko. I feel so bad for my people in Lagos. Nigerians should just lock up and stay home for 3 days to show their displeasure though the evil men keeping us hostage will not even care.

• Busarni

April 5, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Mrs chidu; even you!! Complaining; if no be say you be my paddi for BN I for ruffle you small cos you follow carry bubu matter for head like gala last year.
      E go better; we are in this together just that 2019 is gonna be a long wait. Kala okpo kala onwu; you know na.lolzzzz

• mrs chidukane

April 5, 2016 at 11:09 pm

Bia Busarni, ibu onye ebriba? I won’t even support gej if the elections were re-conducted now now but you know I like being honest and upfront. Buhari is not trying with this traveling upandan! We need him to show leadership and address this issue squarely.

23. Tomma

April 5, 2016 at 8:02 pm

This suffering is getting too much o! Buhari needs walk in our shoe to understand us o. Let him join a 2-day queue at a filling station, cook and wash with ‘pure’water cos no fuel to pump water,sit up all-night in this sweltering heat while being poisoned to death by my neighbour’s smoky gen. Forget flushing the toilet. I cant say we have not had light in my area. In the last one week we were blessed with a total of 120minutes of electricity! Baba if you can stand my children’s whine and tears of fustration and boredom (in total darkness) without going crazy you have my vote in 2019 …..

24. Blessed

April 5, 2016 at 8:30 pm

My own is how do I get my kids cool at night without Nepa or fuel cos the heat is just too much, I stay awake all night using hand fan! I don tire for this country jare!

• Mabel

April 5, 2016 at 11:40 pm

@Blessed,..wet a washcloth, ring out the excess and place the cool cloth at the back of the neck, this is the fastest cool down. Better if you have cold water to wet the cloth with, but if you don’t just use the room temperature water.

25. Rose

April 5, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Okay please can someone enlighten me…what is the cause of the fuel scarcity??? I reside here in the states….and the oil industry is suffering because of the excess fuel which means cheap and affordable fuel for the masses….yet Naija is crying no fuel…no light….next will be no water…. Haaa ebi like say my dreams of coming back to my beloved country has been put on indefinite hold…..

• slice

April 6, 2016 at 1:28 am

reduction in foreign exchange to buy. remember we import most of our oil

26. Power distance

April 5, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Until we address the power distance in our culture we will continue to experience abuse of power in Nigeria.
    We are taught to always respect elders and not ask questions,whatever an older person does is automatically right whether its to our detriment or not,from parents to teachers to pastors to baba landlord to boss at work to office holders.
    The idea of respect is our culture has been abused above and beyond because we have a social psychology that disempower us from seeking accountability from those in positions of power.
    We have to start asking questions and demanding accountability from every and anyone in position of power,imagine senators elected for the good of the people following saraki to court to give him moral support instead of holding meetings to impeach him.
    Prime minister of Iceland already resigned that’s what is done in a sane nation but in Nigeria you will see people that will celebrate saraki instead………
    Abeg I don to type joor

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 6, 2016 at 5:14 pm

Biko, no tire because this thing wey you talk so – na im be wetin ndi France dey call “C’est Fini”.

… As in, na that distance of power between ordinary local government chairman and volcanizer wey keep work for im street be wetin dey bring all this yeye we siddon begin chop since 1960.

27. serendipity

April 5, 2016 at 11:10 pm

It seems Lagos has it bad with no power and no fuel, my friends who live there paint a grim picture. Although the queues are longer in Port Harcourt where I live, transport fare is yet to increase and power supply is relatively stable. I was speaking to a friend in Lagos this night and she told me she was jealous until I reminded her of all the horrors of election violence in Rivers state, as I type this we just had about have an hour of non stop shooting in my area, the grass is not always greener on the other side…

28. serendipity

April 5, 2016 at 11:10 pm

* half an hour

29. timmyblast

April 6, 2016 at 6:17 am

Electricity mega-watt DROP, fuel price is UP. Can I afford to enjoy myself? NOPE. Even our RnB songs sounds like hip-HOP. Nigeria wetin dey SUP!!!

30. Tunmi

April 6, 2016 at 2:29 pm

They will never address their grievances with the right people. Buhari staying in the country merely appeals to emotions. The guy is trying to drum up investors and business for Naija. The office of presidency is the PR and marketing of the nation.

• Mabel

April 6, 2016 at 6:54 pm

@Tunmi how will these investors conduct their business when electricity and water are not guaranteed? The office of presidency is there to inspire a nation to greatness, to provide a quality of life that breeds health and wealth into the citizentry, to lead with purpose and to unite a fragmented group of individuals into one people, this is what any good government work to achieve. Cuba who has had very little trade partners has a healthy and vibrant population, a leader in medicine and pharmaceuticals, free education up to university for any one in the Americas, low crime and a thriving tourism industry; I am not saying communism is the way to go, but Cuba is an example of a country that have had very little, who have done it. The solution to Nigeria is within Nigeria!