Scoop

“The pain affects every single aspect of your life” – Nike Oshinowo on her long term Struggle with Endometriosis

BellaNaija.com

Nike Oshinowo

Former beauty queen and talk show host Nike Oshinowo has had quite an inspiring life. From having her twins at 47 (click here) to her battle with endometriosis and more, Nike Oshinowo has been an inspiration to young women as she shows that you can still fight silent battles and rise to the top.

At the recently held Gala Night of Fun and Fund Raising for Endometriosis put together by the Endometriosis Support Group of Nigeria, the 50-year-old mother-of-two opened up about her struggle with endometriosis and hos she has been living with it since she was 13.

She also revealed that she has had over 17 surgeries as a result.

Read her inspiring speech below.

I have lived with endometriosis since the age of 13. I was sent to boarding school in England. It was during the first few days in secondary school that I began my (menstrual) periods. They called the ambulance and I was hospitalized for 10 days because the pain started and wouldn’t stop. I thought I was going to die, the first two days I was in the infirmary. I’m telling the story because it happened in England and, supposedly, the white people, who knew best, yet had no idea what was wrong with me.

Every female student they had dealt with, had a normal period and coped with it, so they could not understand why I was dramatizing. They thought I just wanted attention. The pain was so intense I passed out. The challenge was now to get me to stop bleeding.

Living with endometriosis is a challenge. When you see your doctor, your doctor just tries to treat the symptoms and assumes the pain resolves around your menstrual cycle. But this is not so. The pain affects every single aspect of your life. I have never had an examination without my period, I have never travelled without my period. There are so many things I have never done without my period. When I’m very happy, my period comes, When I’m depressed, my period is there. I learned just to cope with it. I love the quote that women wear their pain like stilettos. That’s what I have been doing.

Until I turned 40, Nigerians didn’t know I suffered from endometriosis. I granted an interview and Nigerians understood why I never drank alcohol. You cannot be on medication and take alcohol. It was finally understood why I was so clean cut and into healthy living. The first time I experienced the pain of endometriosis was very traumatic. I thought I was going to die. Really, I have lost count of the number of surgeries that I have had but I sure know that it’s more than 17 times.

We love how Nike Oshinowo has always been open about her long-term battle with endometriosis – the gynaecological condition which can cause severe pain and infertility.

1. FasholasLover

April 20, 2016 at 1:07 am

Terrible ailment.
    But eeh, “Nigerians” knew why you never drank alcohol – the whole of Nigeria followed you round to know your preferences. This illusion of grandeur for wetin naah? Nike likes pomp and Pageantry shaa. If l had jiggly old men fund my life style, l should rise to the top too. Fine woman nonetheless.

• Ekene

April 20, 2016 at 4:47 am

What stops you from getting the jiggly old men ? She is successful in her own right, deal with it !!!

• nene

April 20, 2016 at 10:12 am

in which right? endometriosis is bad, nike oshinowo is a pos

• FasholasLover

April 20, 2016 at 10:24 am

Ekene the apprentice runs girl. We know ur type. Go and wash some plates girl.

• Boys Just Wanna Have Fun

April 20, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Ekene, pls. define “….in her own right”. Akunakuna alert!

• grow up nah

April 20, 2016 at 2:02 pm

You this girl, you must be a really petty human being. Only you forever coming back to respond to any single comment that is different from yours. In life you can never have everyone on your side, that is the way it is. Accept it and grow up rather than banging your head on the wall each time someone disagrees with you. Obviously you will be back to reply this one, feel free to knock yourself out.

• Fasholaslover

April 20, 2016 at 2:42 pm

I refuse to disappoint you. Why should l grow up agadi nwanyin? Old is boring.

2. PD Young Billionaire

April 20, 2016 at 1:09 am

Wow!Sorry ma’am.

3. chi-e-z

April 20, 2016 at 4:20 am

I can’t imagine always on my period almost everyday that sounds like hell on earth[throw up,cramping,bloating,nausea,diarrhea, impulsive,thirsty everyday]. I’m always tired and I already have painful/tired pms, ovulation and throw up during menstration I literally only have real normal energy 5days of a month at most. I thought I might want 2 check what is wrong and thought this might be it. but this sounds much worse like a living h#ll everyone keeps saying after kids it gets better apparently not. wow being a woman di kwa something serious. It would be so nice if men could bare it or at least empatize but instead they insult you [crazy,lazy,too much, aloof,….]

• Ugo Onyeka

April 20, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Whoever treated her should have placed her on contraceptives long ago! Periods worsen the disease. Basically everytime her period comes is another chance for the endometrial cells to get sloughed off and attach in a new location (umbilicus, peritoneum, etc). Contraceptives not only prevent periods and prevent chances of the endometrial cells spreading but also alleviate the pain. Also exercise & diet (gluten free, no sugar, no alcohol, low diary) are important factors in controlling the disease.

4. serendipity

April 20, 2016 at 7:35 am

Please BN, can u shed more light on the condition of endometriosis- would like to learn more, thanks in advance!

• Lucinda

April 20, 2016 at 9:50 am

It’s basically unusual and very extreme menstrual pain. Even ovulation pain. Some days before and after your period the pain continues. You have pains when urinating and passing stool. You’re always tired, your weight fluctuates, heart burn.
      It’s also linked to infertility. I’ve noticed the pains reduce with exercise and weight loss. Foods that contain soy are your enemy. A keyhole surgery is a major step in diagnosis after the initial scan. Sometimes you might need more surgeries depending on how serious it is and if the endo keeps coming back. One popular drug used to treat it is prostab. This injection stops you from producing estrogen, I.e causing premature menopause. Prostab is also used to treat prostate cancer. It comes with side effects like depression and osteoporosis, because of this, you will need to be put on hormone replacement therapy.

• PD Young Billionaire

April 21, 2016 at 12:41 am

@Lucinda…Can’t the condition disappear if they remove her womb??#Justthinking…

5. Tina

April 20, 2016 at 8:18 am

Ageless

6. jumman

April 20, 2016 at 8:44 am

I have a friend who suffered same when we were in secondary school any time she s on her period she s always absent from school cos the last time she came to school while on her period, she was rolling on the floor wriggling in pain…..Not cool at all

7. Tee

April 20, 2016 at 9:57 am

Well done Ma for creating the awareness alongside some Nollywood actresses. I also pray God heal you permanently. I know couple of women going through the same and I can tell you it’s no joke. Fibroid and endometriosis can lead to depression and suicidal for people who can’t cope or manage it well. Yes, It is that bad! It is not only painful and disrupt lifestyle, it causes infertility too. So for those educated illiterate that thinks abortion is the cause when they see a woman without a child, pls Google is your friend. I can’t believe the disgusting things I read on the comment section of a particular blog sometime ago as regards this issue. People need to be more sensitive when it concerns fertility. Information is key or keep quiet if you don’t have anything good to say.

8. JEGAism

April 20, 2016 at 11:38 am

Endometriosis is no walk in the park yet I feel like Nike should have championed this cause after she won her crown or any other time in the past. Now she’s 50 and talking about it and it feels like it doesn’t carry any weight.

• Time

April 20, 2016 at 1:06 pm

I guess she is more comfortable now to share and champion this cause after going through a lot and coming out strong. Things like this can’t be easy to deal with (Endometriosis is no walk in the park) and no time is too late to champion a worthy cause. She is doing a good job.

9. Natural remedies

April 20, 2016 at 12:06 pm

I struggled with difficult periods right from my teen years. Recently the flow had become so heavy on the second/third days I literally had to plan my month around my period, plus the lack of energy and sometimes headache on those days, just a real pain honestly.

So I started exploring natural remedies and so far what has really worked for me is Apple cider vinegar (2 tbsp in water every few hours). But even better is blackstrap molasses. There is so much out there in nature that God has given us and I am really thankful for these. Anyone who wants more info, feel to holla

• Bodunade

April 20, 2016 at 12:48 pm

My ex and I had a really bad break up but I still worry about her because for some reason I remember her health challenges and the sadness it brings to my heart hasn’t reduced with time . First time she told me about it I thought I understood until I was with her during her period, I really cried, I cried with her, it was so painful to watch. If men suffered from this condition I’m very sure there would be more awareness, I didn’t hear about this condition until I was 24ish, I also heard about PCOS for the first time last month, imagine that!
      @natural remedies, if your concoction (agbo) truly reduces pain please drop your email or a number we can contact you on. I also hope we won’t be overcharged, besides, if it’s for real, please package register with nafdac and make loads of money and more importantly help some people live with a little less pain. Too. Much pain in the world already, thank you!

• Natural remedies

April 20, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Hello Bodunade,
      I don’t sell these items but these remedies work!! I get mine from the amazon website, I don’t know if amazon ships to Nigeria now as I’m based in london.
      – The Blackstrap molasses (would recommend the Meridian brand). A lot of menstrual cramp is due to iron/magnesium deficiency especially as women lose a lot of blood during that period which is why BSM works.
      – Apple cider vinegar (needs to be raw, unpasteurized, so Braggs or any other good brand would be fine)
      To be honest I had not heard of any of these remedies before I moved here, but when the pain and inconvenience became bad I started my research and when I saw how it’s helped others I decided to give it a go and it’s been good so far.

• Oma

April 20, 2016 at 2:39 pm

@Bodunade, you sound like a really nice person! God bless your kind heart, and yes women put up with a lot!

10. Natural remedies

April 20, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Hopefully when next I come to naija, I will come along with a big batch which I would be more than happy to give out to anyone who wants some. it’s been a life changer for me.

11. Bodunade

April 20, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Iron/magnesium deficiency makes a lot of sense. BsM and apple cider vinegar sound really fancy hahaha. I’m going to put in work and try to find a local equivalent. Thanks for the advice. You the best lol.

• Natural remedies

April 20, 2016 at 3:21 pm

haha, nothing fancy there o, lol.
      No worries, good luck with local eqv, would be good to find some.

• Helper.

April 20, 2016 at 7:00 pm

@Bodundade, Shalom. Made a few enquiries on your behalf and on the behalf of anyone else who needs it, and you can get blackstrap molasses at Health Plus Ajah branch and Kakawa street (CMS) branch. You can get Braggs apple cider vinegar at Medplus (I asked the Admiralty Way, Lekki Phase one branch), at PSV Pharmacy in Kaysora mall on Adebimpe Adewunmi street (the road Mobolaji Johnson estate is on), Lekki phase one, and at Health Plus at La Palms mall, Lekki.

And may everyone get Divine healing from HIS Stripes already in Jesus’ Name, Amen!

• Bodunade

April 20, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Thanks, very thoughtful of you. Can’t talk to the ex but I hope she accepts my ‘help’. Thank a lot

12. Bodunade

April 20, 2016 at 2:25 pm

*the local equivalent

• Bougie Chic

April 20, 2016 at 3:38 pm

I can tell you that ACV truly works. But there is no local equivalent. ACV is ACV, however some brands are better than others. I found Bragg to be the best. It’s available in many pharmacies and supermarkets. Try drinking 2-3 tablespoons full of acv in lukewarm water morning and night. And you gotta believe it’s working, that it’ll work. It’s good to also be diet conscious. Eat more raw vegetables.

• huh

April 20, 2016 at 3:59 pm

ACV is made from apples and apples are sold in Nigeria, so it’s no biggie. Anyone can do the fermentation process and make ACV.

13. serendipity

April 20, 2016 at 10:07 pm

[email protected] Lucinda and everyone else