BN TV

Vlogger ZaraBeauté is Trending on Twitter for all the Wrong Reasons!

Her name is ZaraBeauté and according to her bio, she’s a “Biafran” based in Canada.

She posted a video on YouTube talking about sexual assault, titled “Rape – whose fault is it?” a very touchy subject, and whose fault it is exactly (duh- the rapist!), the different contexts that it happens, and her perceived grey lines.

You can watch the first episode of “The Purge” here – it has 48 likes and 512 dislikes.

In a portion of the video she says,

I don’t believe in women wearing provocative clothing outside, because not every guy has self control, not every culture teaches men to control themselves… If you dress a certain way, and you get raped.. In my opinion you were asking for it…

I know that rape culture is part of wars, I know that when you have wars, it comes with rapes, it comes with looting,  is a part of a regressive society, I know rape is a part of poverty , I know that rape is caused when the economy is not going as it is supposed to…

You don’t put meat in front of a dog and expect the dog to turn away from it.. It’s human instinct to feel a certain way when put in certain situations…

She then moved on to rapes in relationships saying

rape in a relationship is a very grey line… Once you are in a relationship with somebody…There are instances that at that point in time you didn’t want it and the guy probably still had sex with you, you probably still enjoyed it o, you’re now screaming rape, that’s selfish… It’s feminists and activists that have given people rights to say Sh**

Some people ask for it

Really. Really… REALLY!!!

First off, I don’t think any of those victims who she supposedly knows would have these views that you say they have after they have being raped.

Secondly, whether you are in a relationship or not, your NO is NO. Whether you agreed to it before or not.

This is probably all a ploy for publicity. BellaNaijarians, what’s your take on this?

Here are some tweets and her response:

1. Christian Sister

April 12, 2016 at 11:18 am

This is just sad. This girl clearly chose this topic and went in on it the way she did just for attention sake..cause I choose to believe that this is just for publicity. Next thing you know, she’ll be issuing an apology. Disgusting.
    People fail to realise that the emotional scars from rape rarely heals. Its not even a topic that should be played with or joked about.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

April 12, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Agreed. Something about it screams “publicity-bait” to me. *side-eyes*

• Jezebel

April 12, 2016 at 9:08 pm

Only a biafran can come up with cr*p like this. ?

• Naijatalk

April 13, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Silly much?

• foolishness

April 13, 2016 at 7:22 pm

You are f-ing stupid!!!!

2. Tkum

April 12, 2016 at 11:24 am

lmaooo @ ‘We dont raise ewu nmeeee in our land’. But we really dont raise ewu nmeee and onu nkapi in our land sha…

3. Allergic to Iberibe

April 12, 2016 at 11:26 am

Taaaa!! Negodi imi ya. Just mechie your mouth and save us all the stress. “Where beauty meets brains” ??? look at her spewing rubbish with so much confidence. I’m sure that to her, calling someone a feminist is an insult, considering the way she was using the word. Ike gwuru for some people!

• Engoz

April 12, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Thank God she’s not a feminist, lol.

4. Tkum

April 12, 2016 at 11:26 am

I am really glad it is the men-folk going in hard on her. Nice one!

5. Ugo

April 12, 2016 at 11:28 am

My take is this- I love how uou guys jump to say no we don’t agree she is wrong but you are not quick to help those in need. You did a post about someone suicidal have you helped him? Kids who are struggling to eat have you helped them? Students who need school fees paid are you are not jumping to their defence. As soon as it is rape you are ready to blast people. Notice I have not given my opinion, because I am waiting to see Bellanaija donates $$$ to ……, is going to mentor these students, has reached out to offer help with those suffering with Depression. You are a large media outlet, do something. All this “come and hear the latest gist” is making your blog become more tasteless.

Some commenters make comments about the the Chiwetel post. I agree that was just silly. Marriage ko mirage ni.

If you are going to be touching on the rape subject. Offer some sort of help. “These are the organisations women can go to for help, what to do if you have been raped and are to scared to talk? ……” Not ghen ghen come and see American abi Canadian wonder dis geh sed dis o…”

6. Tobigirl

April 12, 2016 at 11:30 am

WOW! This girl’s ignorance is out of this world. smh

7. kiki

April 12, 2016 at 11:32 am

each time folks try to justify rape,it irks me.it irritates my very soul and this shit coming from a woman?i don’t even need to watch the video,i have read enough and i know where she is coming from. I agree with one of those comments-she needs to educate herself, she oozes so much ignorance. Please what about the girl-child or boys who get raped by old men or women?can you explain that??!

8. Hey hey hey

April 12, 2016 at 11:35 am

Notice me or i quench!!
    BN – please take down this post. Dont give her the attention she is craving please. I hate that she wants to profit off a very delicate topic. Shame on her and failed career!

• Mazi Okafor in Baltimore

April 12, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Why should BellaN take down this post?

Zara is gaining publicity
      BN is gaining traffic
      Everybody is winning

9. le coco

April 12, 2016 at 11:38 am

pure stupidity…. all the children that have been raped nkoh? they were asking for it? because now they r a piece of meat? this girl is so stupid. So because some cultures have not taught their men to control themselves, then women should pay for it? is it my fault? mtchew. we dont even know you .. on another note… im glad to see tht mot of the people who are speaking up against this trash are men..this shows that people are beginning to be enlightened.. .

10. Miss Anoni Moss

April 12, 2016 at 11:40 am

Bella why are you giving this girl the time of day, I am so angry at myself for clicking that video because she just got more views ? I don’t know how a seemingly “intelligent” person can spew out such rubbish out of their mouth *long hiss*

11. DAME

April 12, 2016 at 11:47 am

BN PLS TAKE THIS POST DOWN

SHE IS CLEARLY CRAVING ATTENTION…BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDLY!!!
    Please dont indulge her

12. Zeeebby

April 12, 2016 at 11:49 am

I ACTUALLY WANT TO SEE THIS GET SO MUCH PUBLICITY THAT A MEDIA HOUSE (CNN OR BBC) INVITES HER TO DISCUSS THIS LIVE IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE WORLD….I PRAY SHE GETS THE CHANCE TO EMBARRASS HERSELF!!

13. Daisy

April 12, 2016 at 11:50 am

I seriously have no words for this child….she is really ignorant, that’s just what it comes down to. She should realise that all things people do have consequences and this can negatively affect her future. The personal that rapes is the ANIMAL…..what does she mean by some people don’t have self control. Rape is non-censual sex in whatever situation whether married or whatever. I am really sorry for her

14. Somborri

April 12, 2016 at 11:52 am

She’s an ignorant, attention seeking embarrassment to the human race. She should not be allowed to procreate unless and until she is cured of her malaise.

15. Babym

April 12, 2016 at 11:56 am

Chaii this girl no try atallll! What total rubbish?? Can somebody please tell her that this her sleeveless top she wore in the video is very provocative, ahh yessoo if I’m a man I can say her arms were not covered so she led me on and I had no choice. It is her fault for wearing such a sexy sleeveless top!!! Idiotic thinking!!! Infact I’m more put off by the way she was pronouncing ‘society’ attention seeker, girl bye!!!!

16. Mr. Egghead

April 12, 2016 at 11:56 am

The world will never ever have any honest discussion of rape and “feminism” because moderate participants are very few. Once you are not in Team A, you are definitely in Team B. That’s it. No middle.
    I don’t know why people overflog these “self-control” and “provocative dressing” issues. There will be some people (men and women) who will never have self-control. There will be some women who will never believe that provocative dressing can precipitate a rape. You can’t teach somebody self-control. It is either they master it personally or they don’t. So asking society to teach men to develop self-control is null.

Anyway, this vlogger is just insensitive and tacky. Her daddy should seize her computer. Saying a rape victim was “asking for it” is callous, politically incorrect and almost stupid.
    Do some people do dumb things that get them raped? Yes; but her language is not helpful at all.

On behalf of the true Biafrans, we reject this girl as our product and pass her on to the National Population Commission for proper identification and geo-tagging.

• Yeyeperry

April 12, 2016 at 12:22 pm

National population commission of which republic?

• Californiabawlar

April 12, 2016 at 3:22 pm

No honest discussions about rape needed. DON’T RAPE, simple.
      What does rape have to do with feminism? Rape is a crime. The verdict came in thousands of years ago. Jacob’s sons wiped out an entire village because their sister was raped.
      Abeg save all the gender-war grammar for the next post on “how useless Nigerian men are” …BN is never short of those.
      Any attempt to elongate the matter makes you look shady af.

• Mr. Egghead

April 12, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Abeg shift, things concerning society and its criminal justice system will always need to be discussed. I have an ex-classmate who was booted out from uni because of what an accuser termed “rape” Poor brother is still in court trying to save his academic future.

But again, this is not the place to discuss such things

• Corolla

April 12, 2016 at 6:28 pm

There is no middle ground in raping. Raping is when you forcefully have sex with a non consenting partner. Once there is no consent, it is rape. It is a black and white issue.

17. Arin

April 12, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Zara you don fall my hand o

18. keke driver

April 12, 2016 at 12:17 pm

She’s just an unserious sombori….Kindly ignore Her, this is what She wants #Attention let’s not give it Her.

19. z... whatever is an Efulefu + Anofia!!

April 12, 2016 at 12:17 pm

I just want to slap this babe! AND I DONT EVEN BELIEVE IN VIOLENCE!!!!!!!

It takes the worst sort of people to bring the beast outta you! GAWD-DIGGY-DARN!!!!!!

Dear Igbo people, I disown her on your behalf!

Dear Biafra people, I disown her on your behalf!

Dear South-easterners, I disown her on your behalf!

Dear southerners, I disown her on your behalf!

Dear Naija people, I disown her on your behalf!

Twwuh! Spit’s on your face z….whatever!

• ogeAdiro

April 12, 2016 at 6:01 pm

Nobody is disowning anybody. She fit dey craze but she’s still nwanne anyi. Help show her whatever you think is the right path.

20. Glo

April 12, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I dont have to watch the Vlog….this “she’s a “Biafran” based in Canada.” just told me how confused she really is. I kinda feel sorry for her

21. Lady S

April 12, 2016 at 12:52 pm

The Internet sha… Just because you have access to it doesn’t mean you should just spew gibberish from your mouth… Some topics are damn sensitive… Rape is one of such.. Sister is looking for publicity… She got it though but it’s negative!

22. chi-e-z

April 12, 2016 at 1:42 pm

once she said shout out to people for being rape. I was done couldn’t watch anymore. idk her definition of rape or feminism I just know she’s just really bull at best. I can’t…

• chi-e-z

April 12, 2016 at 1:42 pm

*really dull

23. AjsinBobbi

April 12, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Very disappointed that this is coming from a fellow woman. I don’t think you will be the kind of mum to cradle her child in her bosom with compassion when she happens to be RAPE and comfort her , telling her everything will be ok and it was not her fault that she was RAPED. May you find peace.

24. nya

April 12, 2016 at 2:02 pm

If a woman wearing a burqa or an 89 year old grandmother or a 1 year old can get raped then provocative clothing can be invalidated. Rape is about power and control or a lack thereof and this uneducated woman needs to take a million seats to the left and shut her mouth and know her role.

25. Miss_Flygerian

April 12, 2016 at 2:31 pm

At 10:07, “Google explained to us” ?

Girl, GTFOH!

26. Miss_Flygerian

April 12, 2016 at 2:35 pm

This girl makes me so mad. How can she even say rape in relationships sometimes happen because the girl is being selfish? Selfish with HER OWN BODY KWA? What the actual f*#!?

27. Anonymous

April 12, 2016 at 2:43 pm

As a victim of rape, i’m speechless, i got raped by a bike man, he packed on the road said the bike was bad and the next thing i got was a slap and plenty punch before i knew could say wawwuuu…..bla bla bla and it happened, you get the drift…so am guessing i asked for it..right.

I think she is saying all this for publicity…

#so disappointed at the world when they talk about rape a times.

• IcanRELATE

April 12, 2016 at 3:01 pm

I got raped by a bike man too in Onitsha, I don’t know how I survived, but I have never pitied anybody since then. He looked so poor and bedraggled I almost pitied him until he detoured and hell came loose. he bragged about how I was headed to my expensive school and people like them were suffering. I was numb for a long time. No it wasn’t my fault.

• Hey Hey Hey

April 12, 2016 at 3:45 pm

hey ladies! you are Survivors!!!
      Its a shame some Men still have people that enable them and come up with excuses for these disgusting acts. smh!!

Please share your stories so other girls/ women can also speak out. CHANGE is overdue!!

• Engoz

April 12, 2016 at 6:44 pm

I’m happy you could share your stories. I know our police is one of the most callous institutions on earth, but please tell me you at least reported or did something, anything afterwards to get the culprit. What actions did you take? Please share. If you didn’t take any action, there are a couple of NGOs you can at least contact. projectalertnig.org/contact.html
      You could save another young girl’s life.

28. Late bloomer

April 12, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Did she just say beauty meets brain no way after reading I decided to watch but he’ll no I can’t waste my Wi-Fi on that.it’s for attention and yes atiri yin

29. brave

April 12, 2016 at 3:45 pm

I have also been raped by a man who had tried asking me out for months but I wldnt budge.. The idiot was engaged to someone else.. plus he was significantly older.. I just did nt want… no means no.. No I wasn’t provocatively dressed, NO did not lead him on…

• kiki

April 12, 2016 at 3:58 pm

so sorry about your ordeal.
      people like Zara or whatever name she is called need to get their heads checked cos no!for the umpteenth time,there is no justification for rape whatsoever!

30. mahki

April 12, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Publicity stunt all over this! She wanted the attention & we’re dishing it! This is the kind of situation that calls for education in such matters. People who get raped fully covered nko? Children who’ve been molested? Who is this girl with a peanut as a brain processor? Uuuurrgghh

31. fleur

April 13, 2016 at 1:08 am

Madam Biafra, no be small for this “in ta net” thing. It is given people wey no suppose get voice too much air time.

32. PD Young Billionaire

April 13, 2016 at 3:42 am

Arrant nonsense!

33. ao

April 14, 2016 at 2:20 am

Forget the rape issue. I question why the author of this article – who by their name is most likely Yoruba – made it a point to highlight that the young woman identifies as a “Biafran in Canada”. What was the point of that? Why juxtapose that with her controversial comments on rape? Is it to throw shade at Igbos and/or to try to discredit the Biafran movement because of one persons faulty reasoning on rape?