Music

Keyshia Cole Finally Meets Her Biological Father, Virgil Hunter after 34 Years!

Keyshia Cole Virgil Hunter

R&B songstress, Keyshia Cole has found her biological father and they have been reunited after 34 years apart! She was adopted and raised by Leon and Yvonne Cole at two years old.

Cole shared a photo of Virgil Hunter, a boxing trainer, and opened up about their emotional reunion following a paternity test:

“While in NYC I was overwhelmed with emotion, I explained while on stage at the Barclays, the situation I was faced with at that moment, which was, my father and I finding our way to each other, after 34 years. I knew at that time, a paternity test was in place, well the results are in, and this is my father!! His name is Virgil Hunter, and at this present time, I’m in Oakland spending time, getting to know him, The story behind this is beyond me!!! God has his hands all in this!!! I’m so excited, So excited with taking this a day at a time!!!”

Kyeshia cole's father vrgil hunter

Photo Credit: Instagram/Keyshia Cole

1. Pretty girl

May 14, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Happy for u dear.

2. ATL's finest

May 14, 2016 at 1:05 pm

Awwwwwww Mercy!!! He’s too cute & definitely favors each other. Hoping my friends’ own will take a paternity test & make her whole again ????. Way to GO Keyshia & enjoy every moment of it.

3. Nkechi

May 14, 2016 at 1:33 pm

God is good.

4. Chi

May 14, 2016 at 1:34 pm

One downside to adoption: They might go looking for the parent or parents that abandoned them after years of you giving them love and care. So, before you tread that path, please weigh the pros and cons. It won’t be cool to leave yourself with a broken or envious heart.

• Worried

May 14, 2016 at 5:21 pm

that’s not very fair of you to make it about the parents. What of the CHILD who wants to know where he/she is from? Of course the child will love his adoptive parents, but that curiosity deserves to be satisified. In countries like Canada, it is the child’s RIGHT to know he/she was adopted. Nigerians should stop making parenting so selfish and all about them, what of the CHILD’S NEEDS??? I hope your comment has not swayed an adult from refusing to adopt child and give him/her a chance at a better, loving life.

• Chi

May 15, 2016 at 1:00 am

I said weigh the pros and cons. Even when you read professional articles on adoption, you are told about the challenges too. You need to know all sides of it so you know what you are getting into.

And for your information, I am trying to adopt too after 10years of marriage without a child. So I know what I am talking about. I have started the process.

• Chi

May 15, 2016 at 1:02 am

Some parents even end up loving the adopted children a little less once they become pregnant and having their own biological children. Prepare yourself for adoption. Think it through. It can be a wonderful process as well as a difficult one. So prepare for it.

• Tosin

May 15, 2016 at 10:47 am

but she’s not a child…
      must you be jealous, over spouses, over children, … hearts can love so many many people. where do people find this seemingly-endless fount of family-jealousy?
      i have parents, we love one another, but they don’t own me and they won’t shrink and die of jealousy if i hypothetically had new parents (which i’ve sometimes had in small ways – guardians, helpers, role models…)

5. Karashika

May 14, 2016 at 2:00 pm

Good 4 her! Now she can stop insisting she’s not full black

6. michy

May 14, 2016 at 3:47 pm

Good for her, whatever makes her happy. If I were to be in her shoes I wouldn’t bother looking for my biological parent at all.

7. Tade

May 14, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Chi,I agree with you.I watched a documentary recently about a girl,looking for her biological parents.The adopted parents felt so bad,aftern all the years of training,luv etc.

8. Bey

May 14, 2016 at 4:07 pm

That’s nice. We now know where she got her pigment from. He looks good.

• Mihlon Anderson

May 15, 2016 at 2:03 am

…?? What a stupid ass comment. Pigment doesn’t determine beauty. U must be one of those “color obsessed” sand-.

9. Caphie

May 14, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Happy for you dearest, I hope people giving up children for adoption. Or abandoning their children will pause for w second to know what these kids go through. No child deserves to okay for your irresponsibility (that’s if its the case of voluntary unprotected sex like is rampant these days)

• Ajala & Foodie

May 14, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Caphie, I will rather people give up these kids for adoption rather than have an abortion. I understand you are advocating protected sex but we can advocate that without bashing those that choose to give up the children for adoption. Sometimes when the deed is already done, all you can do is move on and try to make better decisions moving forward and sometimes it may translate to giving up your child up in the hopes that someone out there will give them what you can’t, that is, a better life. Many of these kids go on to have great lives and relationships with their adopted parents that some still have questions about their biological parents does not mean the decision their DNA donors made was wrong. In fact, it might be the most unselfish decision they could have made.

10. emma

May 14, 2016 at 6:31 pm

How did adoption come into this discussion? Keyshia Cole was not adopted. Her mom just didn’t know who got her pregnant. I wonder if she was disappointed when she found out that her dad is just a LS black man instead of a white man like her mother told her. lol

11. hummm

May 14, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Thank goodness, cuz she was such an angry chick. Her relality show said it all .

12. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

May 14, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Its been 30yrs and I still don’t know who my father is. I think abt him every day but I don’t want him either. My life is a moving train u droped me, I FORGET YOU.

13. hezekina pollutina

May 15, 2016 at 7:33 pm

see how he be….trouble loading…

14. coke

May 16, 2016 at 9:21 am

@ gwe gwe i cant agree more, you drop me i forget you.

15. Kwame

May 16, 2016 at 10:35 am

I can relate very much to this story. I was kept in the dark for 25yrs thinking that my stepdad was my biological father. In as much as I am grateful for his benevolence, some of his actions made me doubt whether indeed he was my biological father. To cut a long story short, when I called him out for having extra marital affairs, he prompted my mummy to tell me the truth, that I don’t belong to him. Thankfully, I found my biological father who is alive and kicking and has been looking for a male child all this while. We have not met face to face yet since he is working abroad but we have spoken severally and I long for that day when I will set eyes on him for the very first time. #To God be the Glory…#Life and Living it…#Distant relatives

16. LDBrown

May 16, 2016 at 8:39 pm

In another article Frankie said that her mother made her give up Keyshia because she kept going in and out of jail during her prostitution days. Yvonne Cole at first fostered Keyshia but then went ahead and adopted her. Both Yvonne and Frankie used to be on the first reality show. I never watched the second one so I don’t know if Yvonne was ever on that show.

17. Illustrious King

August 19, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Awww! I jus hope their family affair works out! Besides the huge shift in both of their lives. Blak Women Gotta be strong! Daddie Will Make Sure of Dat!!!!!!! Luv U Keyshia!!!!!