Relationships

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala’s “Grey Love” Selfie and a Caption by her son that’ll melt Your Heart

Uzodinma Iweala, former Nigerian Minister of Finance Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and Dr. Ikemba Iweala‘s son shared this cute photo of his parents with an endearing caption.okonjo iweala bellanaija may2016_Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 12.24.34Caption:

“My mother sent this to me and my siblings the other day in an email with the title “grey love.” She and my father took a selfie on the deck at the house we grew up in, a house that saw four kids thunder across its floors and up and down its steps, and countless Christmases, and so many celebrations. There were also tragedies and tears. Once a dog lived in this house and they loved him a lot too.

My parents sacrificed so much for us to have the opportunity that we enjoy. Many people with kids devote so much of their energy to the children and to working to support those children, often putting their own relationship second. These children bring them joy and also trouble. We reward them with our successes and keep them ever preoccupied with our safety and wellbeing long after we have left the havens they have built or tried to build for us. My parents are no different.

But it is also amazing to see how when the house has gone quiet and the noise has subsided, they can turn to each other after 37 years of marriage and amuse themselves with a morning of taking silly selfies that amuse their now grown children. It makes me happy.”

Photo Credit: Uzodinma Iweala | @uiweala

1. pretty

May 16, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Awwwwww! !! Me like iii ike!

2. cheryl

May 16, 2016 at 1:01 pm

awwww!! bless dem. dey look adorbs, d father looks so calm, cute selfie

3. Awww

May 16, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Lovely picture and even lovelier caption. If my parents took a selfie now, it’d be captioned ‘Grey and Bald love’

4. Chidi

May 16, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Madam NOI,you have a case to answer,how come under your watch Nigerian economy was left fantastically bankrupt ?hope Dr Ikemba his now respecting himself,after he was caught on top of the nurse at the hospital in US some years back,?He was forced to cry out,when the husband of the woman turned him to Atm,He needs more TLC now that enough fraudulent money is in.Nigerians are not smiling fuel is one hundred and fourty five Naira,

• Taipan

May 16, 2016 at 1:53 pm

@ CHIDI, Enemy of progress, mind your business and remove your nose from peoples private life…na your type dey keep girlfriend 10yrs you never marry her…anumpam

• TT

May 16, 2016 at 2:08 pm

I thought it was just me that remembered that case, very disgraceful incidence. I guess she’s done what most Nigerian women do i.e. “forgive” the man and let it be.

• chummy

May 16, 2016 at 2:35 pm

shut up your mouth, so you carried this your fantastically stupid comment to this place,how is it how fault that fuel is now 145, ,abi is she your president or VP? Dummy, who cares if her husband was caught on top a nurse? he is her husband,did he ask you for money to pay? she chose to be his wife, smiled thru the pain,kept her head high and today she is one person your 10th generation to come cant produce, mind your business ,stay,who GOD HAS BLESSED your social network ranting cant bring down. Ask GOD to pick your call, stop hating,person pass you.

• choi

May 16, 2016 at 3:03 pm

yall know this too. the man is my uncle. the said wife is from nnewi. lol. okonjo had her locked up when she found out. i think she is still serving her time in u.s jail .uncle Nathan well done. this is what you left your thriving business here in Nigeria for. cos your wife got a u.s visa lottery. u no try. more than 12 years since you left you havent come back home once. bn post my comment.

• chibaby

May 16, 2016 at 4:45 pm

uncle NI, Uncle kor, the information you are sharing now who E HELP? mind your business, tatafoo mistress, don’t talk your way into bondage, should we clap for you or your so called uncle and his wife, go marry your own.

• or

May 16, 2016 at 3:45 pm

People like Chidi usually have their partner sleep with maid and drivers.

5. Jude

May 16, 2016 at 1:43 pm

We are crumbling,with the weight of bad management you gave the economy,nothing in the savings.theirs God O

• Next.

May 16, 2016 at 3:01 pm

GEJ and NOI put savings together. It’s called the Sovereign Wealth Fund. Amaechi and co under aegis of Governor’s Forum went to court to get court order to stop them and force them to distribute the money to himself and his fellow governors. THIS IS A MATTER PF PUBLIC IRECORD.

• pumpum

May 16, 2016 at 6:21 pm

Sharrraapp!!! sovereign wealth fund was put in place by Obasanjo and i actually saved money. it couldn’t continue under GEJ cos NOI said, the people were same, the instrument was still available but political will was lacking. Just stop this! and stop defending a spineless leader.

• Next.

May 16, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Jonathan and Okonjo-Iweala did try to save in the Excess Crude Account AND Sovereign Wealth Fund. He is said to have met about $6.5 billion in the Excess Crude Account, ECA, and increased it to almost $9 billion by 2012. Eyeing this amount, the Governors using their influence at the House of Representatives had gotten that body to declare the Excess Crude Account illegal in 2012, Amaechi and the APC governors went further all the way to the Supreme court declaring that saving was not in the Nigerian Constitution and that the FG could not compel them to save. Even if people were not in this country at the time, as I already said, THESE ARE FACTS OF PUBLIC RECORD. Google does not require a visa. Only literacy and a working, optimally employed, non-prejudiced brain. Please, learn some manners. I am not ‘defending’ GEJ except by unavoidable collateral effect; I, though It can always ‘defend’ Itself and always overcomes in the end, am speaking for Truth; and what I truly seek to defend, is all that is good, fair, decent, intelligent, rational in our societal fabric, in our collective conscience, in us as a people, as one nation under God. It’s not about personalities. If all these mindless, irrational, blind, wilful lying hate and wicked disregard for truth and facts does not concern you, it does some of us.

6. cheryl

May 16, 2016 at 1:44 pm

chai, peepuuu, see digging and hot tea served, heen heen, una dey try with una gist info abegs, ogini??

• daisy

May 16, 2016 at 4:40 pm

gloat all you want hunnay…just keep praying hard your family tea won’t be served on a blog soon

7. Alero Omatseye-Anaba

May 16, 2016 at 2:27 pm

That write up was sooooo deep!. A true understanding of marriage, children and in a whole; FAMILY. God bless them

8. Benson Ossai

May 16, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Nigerians and archives.Chidi well done on the story about Doctor and on top of nurse news.

9. Prince

May 16, 2016 at 3:16 pm

The pic nice but madam Iweala didn’t do well under GEJ, she allowed those fantastically corrupt people stain her reputation and personality.
    I just want to believe that she didn’t steal oooooooooooo

10. Chinedu

May 16, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Thank you for the tea in this thread. If it is true that the doctor slept with someone’s wife than he is a disgrace of the highest order. All you people forming voltron for the man should keep quite. If it was okonjo weala that slept with someone s husband while married would you put her on a pedestal. Well she forgave him but I will not look at him imn high regard. Can you imagine someones wife with all the single women around.

11. choi

May 16, 2016 at 3:22 pm

where is my comment. stop your hypocrisy. you have carried worse gossip on this site. oya see this one chop. the husband blackmailing them is my uncle. he and his wife queen left the country more than 12 years ago on u.s visa lottery. mind u this was a fantastically rich Biz man. think she’s still serving jail term. serves her right. all ye blackmailers and scammers karma never sleeps. the mansion they were building in the village they can’t complete cos maga no de pay again. it’s just there covered in algae abi nå moss. both the scammer and scammee I do not pity. serves them right

12. Sharon Ifeoma

May 16, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Awww beautiful photo….. beautiful couple. May they age with grace. People! can you please not take out of this beautiful distraction with your silly comments???? I love me some grey!

13. Lou

May 16, 2016 at 4:03 pm

On the bright side of things, through it all they are still standing

• Mr. Egghead

May 16, 2016 at 4:38 pm

He messed up
      She messed up
      They made up . . . because true love forgives all wrongs
      Love is all that matters.
      In the end, you’ll only have each other, not fans, not friends, not business partners; . . . just each other.

Ngozi na Ikemba . . . Udo diri unu

• belinda

May 16, 2016 at 5:03 pm

how did SHE mess up, maybe you have a woman that broke your heart. Because i ne me ka nwa’turu enwero isi n’odu

• ogo mama

May 16, 2016 at 5:08 pm

I hope you forgive your wife if she cheats on you, because love forgive all wrongs abi? Self-appointed olodo defender of all men and basher of women, even when there is no cause. A man cheated on his wife and you’re telling us about she did wrong too, because you’re their houseboy. You sicken me.

• Kabodoxa.

May 16, 2016 at 7:06 pm

Wow.I guess @chidi and all the other commenters gloating over the gossip he shared and all those who liked his and other such comments never ever made a mistake in their lives. I guess @chidi and all the others all do not have even just one error, one circumstance, one error of judgment, one bad decision, one shameful, one embarrassing, one disgraceful, one humiliating episode, one character flaw, one weakness, one shortcoming somewhere, somehow, a secret that they hope and pray never comes to public light. It sure must be so good, so, so very nice to be completely without sin in the eyes of God.

I guess @chidi and his supporters are campaigners and advocates of a Divorce At All Costs, Down With Marriage movement, or, is it a To Hell With Forgiveness, Down With True Love crusade?

Maybe once you make one mistake (or, even a series of mistakes), you should never ever be permitted again to have joy, happiness, one moment of peace, honour (even from your own children) in your lifetime.

Maybe once you have ever had one moment of shame, be it caught with your hand in the pot, stealing a piece of meat from your mom’s pot at age 5, or with the meat in your mouth as you almost choke trying desperately to swallow it, whole, hurriedly down; or with the textbook you smuggled in, or doing ‘giraffe-neck’, or the answers and formulas you wrote on some part of your body are found, or the person you paid to write in your stead, or the examiner/official you paid is caught and confesses, whatever the system employed, you are exposed: your exam cheating/fraud/malpractice: you are a cheat; or, the thing(s) you did to get the contract, the promotion, the job, the car/house loan, the political office came to light, and so, therefore, for your shame, never again as long as you live must you be allowed to forget it, never should you be allowed to show your face in public without having your past, your error flung in your face, trumpeted loud and clear for all to remember and for all ignorant of it, to know, and disdain and scorn and ridicule and make mockery of you.

I hope @chidi and his friends are able to maintain their sinless state because “”be careful how you judge, for by the same measure that you judge shall it measured out to you .”” By his and their own standards they will certainly be judged and treated in their own turn. I hope they are ready to live their lives ever afterwards, eyes downcast, body stooped over, head bowed down, never daring to lift up their heads ever again in public, for shame.

He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone.

There is only ONE Who is without sin and He has started casting His Stones, as He given whoever has eyes and ears to understand, the sign of in Jos last week. BN has the feature. The I’d be treading very, very lightly and be busying myself with repentance and asking for mercy for my own failings in this season, if I were @chidi and co, (as I am doing, anyway).

14. ify

May 16, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Marriage goooooaaaaaallllllsss

15. Lou

May 16, 2016 at 4:31 pm

First let me apologize but I couldn’t resist googling this story up and I read it on Sahara reporters, at first I was still telling myself it’s not as bad as bellanaija commenters are making it seem,until I read to the end of how they truly caught him on top of her with pictures. At that point it was no longer a mistake but Sad to say but my respect for this man has dwindled. So sad. The lesson here is that keep you’ll rights moments to yourself especially if you have skeletons in your cupboards, if not the public will as you in washing your dirty linen in public.

16. Chinedu

May 16, 2016 at 5:54 pm

@Lou Thank you. My sentiments exactly. I would have forgiven him just as the wife did if not for the fact that it was a married woman. He has lost all respect in my eyes. How can a Doctor married to such a highly placed women behave in such a manner. Your age mates are chasing single women while you are chasing married women. They say money can’t buy class and it is true. Thank you to the gentle men who brought up the tea because here I was thinking #relationship goals but God forbid such things for me. A husband sleeping with someone’s wife .

17. Uche

May 16, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Don’t insult a throne you intend to sit. On, we have a lot of losers here making comments out of the abundance of their frustration, imagine 37 years of marriage, and no one saw that to comment on just the scandal which they have no proof of, she’s a pure success which many of the losers talking can never attain unless they change their outlook on life, imagine people who’ve not managed a single sucessful dating relationship instead of tapping into the Grace that saw them through!!! I weep for my fellow youth who’ve enrolled into the PHD (Pull. Him down) ministry, bella Naija post my comments because you posted people with foul comments

18. Imose

May 16, 2016 at 8:41 pm

Their story touched me and made me understand what true forgiveness is all about . I’m sure most of you making this fanstastically callous comment haven’t been in the school called marriage ! You can’t tell what tomorrow holds neither can you determine your partners behavior towards your marriage . Smh!

19. Nna

May 16, 2016 at 8:50 pm

Why do you have so much bitterness in you? Did you need to wash their dirty linen out here? Are you happy now you have further tarnished their reputation? This was just a cute family photo and you could have just let it go without commenting this vile rubbish but no you had to. I’m hoping you never have skeletons in your closet that people will gleefully expose in the future. Rubbish

20. Anonymous

May 17, 2016 at 4:53 am

Even the child acknowledged the ‘tears and tragedy’ in that house. The family went through a lot. We women sometimes sacrifice our marriages for careers. The man was lonely. He did a very very stupid thing, and it was so painful to deal with. But at the end of the day, he is a good man. It is not beans that all 4 children are so brilliant and all went to Harvard and are very humble. The man – is a brilliant neurosurgeon, but he supported his wife and helped to raise those wonderful children who have never brought shame or scandal to the family compared to the offsprings of those Nigerian thieves and leaders! I congratulate them for overcoming scandal, tears and tragedy. Cute photo! Instead of you people abusing them, learn a thing or to about standing by each other through thick or thin. She is still my SHERO! Wishing you another 37 plus 37 years of marriage to Dr. Ikemba and Ngozi Iweala!

21. Tony

May 17, 2016 at 6:34 am

People of integrity must be emulated,an old married man that his sleeping with a lady inside the office and car garage already disgraced himself,at almost sixty years if his still sleeping about,He disgraced himself.we almost forgot,but the state of our fantastically bankrupt economy,made us to remember all the former fantastically corrupt coordinating ministers,that we must now buy fuel at one hundred and fourty Naira per liter.