BN TV

Watch Nigerians Answer the Question “Will You Intervene if you hear your Neighbour Beating his Wife?”

Battabox writes:

Recently, a woman died in Nigeria due to constant abuse and domestic violence from her husband, leaving behind her two beautiful children. But we wonder why neighbors do not intervene when they sense abuse happening next door.

“If your husband beats you well you will change,” says one woman

With the surge of domestic violence in Nigeria, BattaBox presenter Timothy asks some people on the streets of Lagos – Would you intervene if you hear your neighbor beating his wife? Some of their replies were alarming…

“Some women don’t know how to cook,” says one woman who tries to justify domestic violence

“Beating your wife is like beating yourself,” replies one man

But sometimes, people do not like to get involved in couples business even when the woman in question is being abused.

“The best thing is to invite the police to intervene,” replies one lady

Watch below.

1. Ada_ugo

June 9, 2016 at 9:53 am

that girl in braids mehn… pure embarrassment. And to think she’s female?!?!

2. Mara

June 9, 2016 at 10:48 am

So disheartening how people try to justify violence against women in our society… there needs to be so much more awareness on why it’s unacceptable.

3. I'mJustSayn'

June 9, 2016 at 11:31 am

Aunty with braids, well done o! May your husband beat you well well 😐

4. Blessed

June 9, 2016 at 11:36 am

I grew up in a home where such never happened and while some people may say “but its possible it happened and you were not there”, my mum never complained about my dad beating her but an incident gave me an insight into my dads mind about this devilish act.

our church member who also happened to be our neighbor ran to our house crying on a sunday morning . ahn ahn, on her babys dedication day oo. what happened? her husband slapped her, she told my mum. my dad, hearing the commotion came to the living room, asked some questions and the next thing i notice say my papa eye don red, e be like say smoke wan begin comot from e ear.

i think he told one of us to call the husband( i dont remember exactly how the man got to our house sha but he sha came 😀 ) and my mum went to one of the rooms with the woman. Now, this is the woman he brought before they got married to introduce to my dad oooo and over time, she became family.

My dear people, as an aproko then na, i put my humble self in a position to hear everything. that the men were going to discuss and honestly, it was not palatable. trust my dad na, he started like he was in support as a fellow man so that he can understand the root of the evil.. Before the man could even end the story, see lambasting !!

my dad finished the man like this ehn and warned him severally referring to the woman as his daughter and telling him that if he respected HIM enough to introduce her to him, then he should respect him enough and not touch his daughter ever again, told him he was going to deal with him personally ( & military wise) if it happened again.

He apologized and told my dad that she said she is not going for their childs dedication because of what happened. my dad she has a right to do so but that he should go and apologize and do it properly.,

Sha Sha it has never happened again to the best of our knowledge.

I really dont understand this attitude. sometimes i wonder, is it upbringing or what? my brothers know not to do this.it cant cross their minds sef. they are not married yet but its a no no because if that wife runs to my mum or dad, its over for my brothers oo, completely finished!

And i am sure my dad is very ready to pounce on any man that tries it with anyone, family or not (my uncles, both from my dad and mums side know better na, you wan die?)…well, maybe not pounce as he is not so young anymore but that unlucky “man” wont forget the experience!

Thank you dad for showing me by example what i deserve,

5. FinchleysFinest

June 9, 2016 at 11:41 am

the first lady ehn… she should be caged and locked up for ever… She’s a danger to the entire human race . abeg

6. GeeGee

June 9, 2016 at 11:51 am

the girl in the glasses…. whats up? now im not sure whether to hope you marry a man that beats you up so that after sometime you can change…. since you are cool with that

7. Daizzy

June 9, 2016 at 4:59 pm

I’m not one to curse people, but Bella Naija permit me to say the woman on braids is a VERY STUPID WOMAN!

8. think about it

June 10, 2016 at 7:02 am

its a shame that the men seem to have a better perspective than the women.
    It’s sad to see the lack of empathy or concern for the victim of abuse.
    that girl with the braids is soooo ignorant; her comments made me cringe… she needs exposure and education. Its frightening to see someone soo ignorant in this day and age. I pray she never endures abuse; otherwise she would have to recant everything she said in that video.
    I would definitely come to the rescue of the abuse victim…