News

France National Day Massacre: Death Toll Rise to 84 as Police Identify Truck Driver

NAN

NICE, FRANCE - JULY 15: Dead body covered after the attack on the Promenade des Anglais on July 15, 2016 in Nice, France.An attack in Nice where a man rammed a truck into a crowd of people left 84 dead. (Photo by Patrick Aventurier/Getty Images)

NICE, FRANCE – JULY 15: Dead bodies covered after the attack on the Promenade des Anglais on July 15, 2016 in Nice, France. An attack in Nice where a man rammed a truck into a crowd of people has left at least 84 dead.

The death toll continues to rise from an attack in which a truck rammed into a crowd marking the French national day in Nice, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said on Friday.

This is coming as police has identified a 31-year-old Tunisian-born Frenchman as the driver who plowed a truck into crowds celebrating Bastille Day in the southern French city of Nice.

At least 84 people have been killed and 18 remain in “critical condition,” said the minister.

President Francois Hollande said the death toll included “several children.”

Hollande announced an extension of a state of emergency for three months in the country, where Islamic State gunmen and suicide bombers killed 130 people in Paris about eight months ago.

He said “the terrorist character” of the truck attack cannot be denied adding that anti-terror investigations have started.

The truck driver was shot dead after opening fire at police.

The tragedy took place at the city’s famous Promenade des Anglais seafront. The truck ploughed at high speed into spectators watching the fireworks.

Christian Estrosi, president of the region of Provence-Alpes-Cote d’Azur, described on Twitter the incident as “the worst Nice drama in history.”

Traffic is closed in Promenade des Anglais, and scheduled cultural events including a jazz festival have been canceled.

European Council president, Donald Tusk said the attack was a “tragic paradox.”

He tweeted a photograph of himself and other European and Asian leaders standing in tribute to the Nice victims at the 11th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) Summit currently holding in Ulan Bator, Mongolia.

Chinese Premier, Li Keqiang attending the ASEM summit has extended condolences to the victims and their families while condemning “terrorism in all forms.”

The United Nations Security Council condemned “in the strongest terms the barbaric and cowardly terrorist attack” which took place in Nice, France.

U.S. President, Barack Obama has condemned the attack, saying it “appears to be a horrific terrorist attack” in Nice.

Photo Credit: Patrick Aventurier/Getty Images

NAN

1. JustSaying

July 15, 2016 at 1:02 pm

Ah BA. France have suffered. I thought UK had a problem but seems like France has a bigger problem. Kick all these useless mutherfckers out let them go to their brothers and sisters in all richnations like UAE and Oman etc. Kick all these radical Moslems out and Maria Lepin I hope you are able to take France out the EU as Nigel Farage did.

You got more problems than be letting some beaureaucrats tell you how much total migrants u need to accept in your borders and be sending billions to Brussels.

Get out of EU. You need to fix your home before you fix someone else’s problems. This is going to affect their tourism.

I pray for France. This is not fair. How much more can they take. It’s too much. Kick these radicals out of your nation and come out of EU.

For anyone who ask me how does being in EU got to do with attacks. Sorry you not too smart for me to argue with. Reading research and analysis is your friend.

• TeeS

July 15, 2016 at 1:18 pm

I know you’re mad and i sympathize with you. I’m a christain and I do not live in Europe, rather I live in America so I’m not supporting them but…..
      Not all Muslims are terrorists
      The bible said we should be our brothers keeper
      I’m not saying that means we should be stupid( the bible said apply wisdom is all that you do)
      Just because there’s a lot of radicalized Muslims doesn’t mean that in time of need, we should shut our doors to them when they risk being killed
      That’s just Inhumane if we did that.
      If we send them to their wealthy counterparts , and they get even more radicalized, don’t you think our problems will be greater ?
      Leaving the EU does not mean radicalized Muslims will not exist or come into your country. They’ll always find a way.
      Will it decrease the number entering due to EU rules? Maybe ?
      It’s like a two edged sword at this point
      Rather than point fingers at Muslims, we should try and figure out who the terrorists are and prevent attacks , rather than throw stones.
      I mentioned I was in the US because I’m sure you know we have been going through shit. Especially as an African American. That’s another situation we have to deal with that has nothing to do with radicalization but bias based on the color of my skin.
      The struggle is real, may the lives lost Rest in Peace

• FinchleysFinest

July 15, 2016 at 3:47 pm

God bless you @TeeS

I wanted to respond to JustSaying but …we have our history with shades and coming after each other… God bless you again….

• JustSaying

July 15, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Does the your mo ha- mad whom you look up to teach about violence , Yes or No
      i dont need an epistle. Just a simple yes or no.

and if not all are terrorist – then i suggest you talk to your brothers and sisters who are, because they are giving you all a bad name

• lacey

July 16, 2016 at 1:17 am

It’s so sad for the EU! And France! In the first place there is the Middle east!I said it last year,that Angela Merkel should not have opened their borders to Islamic migrants,they should stay or move to countries where they have same culture and religion! I left the UK in 2009 and the bad experience of London bombings in July 2005, made me realize the power of the Holy Spirit to direct us and protect us from evil! All of us using those routes with God’s mercy and direction escaped death and after the way demographics of London started changing to the extent that in some areas, it’s like you are in the Middle East,na so I carry my bag! If you live in Europe,I would advice that you avoid crowded area! I am claustrophobic, so outside Church gathering,anywhere crowd dey I nor dey fit cope!It is well!John16:33 In Christ is peace!In the World is tribulation!Christ has overcome the World!

2. Prince

July 15, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Oh my God. please people, don’t catch yourself not spending at least 2to3mins daily to intercede for your country. God is the answer
    Pray for peace in all your borders and states, in all cities and villages.

3. Tina

July 15, 2016 at 2:02 pm

At this point we’re not even sure of what they are fighting for, don’t think they themselves know. Because they’re killing both Christians and Muslims, even bombing mosques.

4. Pumpkin

July 15, 2016 at 2:45 pm

@ Tina, whether they are bombing both Muslims and Christians is not the issue here but the fact that the bombers are always Muslims. Islam the religion of peace my foot

5. Shade

July 15, 2016 at 4:06 pm

As far as I am concerned, there is a thin line between islamic fanaticism and tendency for terrorism. Pity

6. jennietobbie

July 16, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Last days… prayers up

7. Mama Jollof.

July 17, 2016 at 12:09 pm

This is what you get when you’re NICE ENOUGH to allow IMMIGRANTS INTO YOUR COUNTRY. if it were me, i will never allow one immigrant in! STAY IN YOUR OWN REGIONS AND DIE THERE. Because now they have been taken into France, all they’ve done is cause commotion. SMH