News

Youngest Black Pilot To Fly Across America #StraightOuttaCompton

BellaNaija.com

Isaiah_Cooper_Vibe_BellaNaija_Inspired_2016Isaiah Cooper, a 16 year old male from Compton, Southern California has just made history after completing a record-breaking flight across the United States of America.

He has just been recognized as the youngest black pilot to fly cross-country after he completed an 8,000 mile flight and a two week trip across the continent.

The young boy had a few unavoidable challenges due to poor weather conditions during his landing, but has now set a remarkable record that has encouraged him to set a new goal of wanting to become the youngest pilot in the world.

Petgrave told NBC LA

“He was able to execute the emergency procedures flawlessly, got it on the road, landed, didn’t damage the houses, the schools, the construction crew, nothing. I mean, he got out of that thing safely.”

Cooper told VIBE:

“I began attending an aviation youth program in Compton at Tomorrow’s Aeronautical Museum (TAM) when I was 5 years old. But as I got older, I began hanging with the wrong crowd, doing seriously self destructive things,” he admitted that he had realized “that this was not how I wanted to live my life, I returned to TAM. My main goal is to become a productive young man with a future in aviation, and not a statistic.”

We can only look forward to hearing more awesome things about this young and talented African American and hope this inspires more to achieve big.

Photo Credit: VIBE

1. damilola

July 24, 2016 at 12:48 am

Oh wow! congratulation to Isaiah.

2. quietconfidence

July 24, 2016 at 2:42 am

Way to go Isaiah. It’s nice to know good and, inspiring things do come out of Compton.

3. Anon

July 24, 2016 at 4:16 am

That’s wonderful – I love seeing news like this and seeing young people so passionate about their goals.

I also read about this young lady who’s Nigerian-American and completed a similar feat – her record was set in 2009 nydailynews.com/news/world/kimberly-anyadike-15-youngest-african-american-female-pilot-plane-cross-country-article-1.399825

4. Dada

July 24, 2016 at 4:56 am

So awesome!!

5. Ariere

July 24, 2016 at 11:50 am

Good and Inspiring things can come out of Anywhere if given the opportunities needed to strive.

Congratulations to the young man.

6. annabel ada

July 24, 2016 at 12:47 pm

Real success….so proud of u

7. Village Woman

July 24, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Respect to our young African-American brother and thanks bellanaija for sharing this positive news.

To those interested, below is a link to other stories about extra-ordinary African-American boys: