News

Man Allegedly Kills Wife’s Lover After He Caught Them In His Room

BellaNaija.com

Igbokwe and his wife Juliet

Ezekiel and Juliet

The police in Ogun state has arrested a man and his wife for allegedly killing his wife’s lover, Victor Olatundun, after he caught them having sex on their matrimonial bed.

PUNCH reports that the man, Ezekiel Igbokwe, 32, allegedly committed the offence at about 12AM at Peace Lodge on Itura Street, Awa Ijebu, Ijebu-North Local Government Area of Ogun State.

The duo were among the 23 suspects paraded at the Ogun State Police Command headquarters, Eleweran, Abeokuta, on Thursday, for various offences ranging from murder to illegal possession of firearms and ammunition.

Igbokwe, who said he is a businessman, told journalists that he committed the offence out result of anger and did not intend to kill the man.

“I travelled to Onitsha on July 25, and when I came back on July 27, I met a man inside my room making love to my wife. Then we started fighting. The man was stronger than me.

When I saw he could overpower me, I got a cutlass in my toilet and dealt him blows in the hand and neck. On the way to the hospital, the fuel in the car finished and he died,” he said.

The wife, Juliet, 28, giving an account of what happened said:

He had been disturbing me that he wanted to marry me, but I said I was married.

On the day of the incident, I really can’t say if he used a charm on me. All I know is that he called me that he wanted to see me and I told him not to come; he knew my house and when he came, I didn’t know what happened.

He used to come and deliver snuff to me in the house. On the day of the incident, he told me he was coming from somewhere and that it was already late.

He wanted to sleep in our place till the next day. He didn’t know that my husband was away. He tried to sleep with me, but later he didn’t.

She added that she’s been married to Igbokwe since 2005 and they both have three children, aged 9, 7, and 5. She said that they have been having troubles in the marriage and Igbokwe did not take care of the children.

She added that anytime they had a quarrel, Igbokwe will leave the house for months.

Photo Credit: PUNCH

1. Adio_Braimoh

August 12, 2016 at 11:06 am

Anger has ruined the saga. Now you killed a soul, instead you should have amputate his hand not going for his neck.

2. Paul Adeyemo

August 12, 2016 at 11:13 am

Mr Ezekie Igbokwe, you are free man. When you get to court, just tell the judge you saw an intruder in your house who was raping your wife and you wanted to free your wife from the rapist, a fight ensued, you got the cutlass as a self defence as the guy was bigger and was almost killing you and it was done as an act of self defence. Stuck to that line of defence from the begining to the end. How the Police will prove murder or even manslaughter is what am looking at. The idiot called Victor should rot in help fire, having guts to sleep in another man’s matrimonial bed. He deserves more than death. The husband should divorce the wife ASAP, Fight for custody of his children of they are above 10. If Ezekiel does not kill Victor, Victor would have connived with the evil woman to kill Ezekiel.

• iyke

August 12, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Valid argument! Hope he gets a good lawyer!

• Jade

August 12, 2016 at 3:24 pm

He doesn’t even need to lie, provocation is defence enough, just like temporary insanity

• Jamce

August 12, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Mere plea of “provocation” would only reduce the crime to manslaughter. But a good plea of self defence could ground an acquittal.

• Gina

August 12, 2016 at 3:44 pm

This might have worked, if he hadn’t added that after seeing that the deceased was stronger than him, He left the fight and came back with a “Cutlass.” THAT is an INTENT to cause bodily harm. The best he can hope for is Manslaughter, which is highly unlikely. Let him just start praying that they Do not hang him.

Such a shame!!!

• Sem

August 12, 2016 at 7:16 pm

Your head dey there well well Paul…

• James

August 12, 2016 at 11:12 pm

@Paul, calm down. You seem more upset about this than Mr. Igbokwe himself. Look at what temporary insanity got him into. Your line of defense won’t work because the wife has already admitted she invited Victor into the house.

He should have just worked away when he saw what was happening. By now, he would have cooled-off and it would be a story about another cheating spouse, maybe even one to laugh about. He can decide if he wants to keep her or divorce her. Uncontrolled anger will only get you in trouble. The law is the law. It says thou shall not kill. He’ll be lucky if he doesn’t get the hangman ‘s noose, and its his fault.

Abeg, free the lady. OK, so she is a bit wayward. But no be her kill anybody.

Look around, there are many people like her. A girlfriend, boyfriend, wife or husband maybe cheating on their significant other, maybe not in their house. Do we all run around with machetes to hunt down the person they are cheating with? No.

• Tosin

August 14, 2016 at 6:35 pm

What do you mean raping your wife? That’s ridiculous and insulting. He overreacted to witnessing a lovemaking scene and ended up killing someone. Right?

• ADAUGO

August 24, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Unfortunately this is not Annalise Keatings case of how to get away with murder. Carry your cross mr man. Has he not with any woman since 2005 he married his wife? Ok, men are allowed to cheat but not women? Rubbish! And you had to take another man’s life…The law should take it full course o.

3. AMARA

August 12, 2016 at 11:26 am

Just look at how a bad wife left her 3 kids with out their patents and have ruined the life of an innocent man……her story is filled with lies

• Gina

August 12, 2016 at 3:38 pm

The story to me is funny. “i don’t know whether he used charm on me”!!!!!, that woman is neither serious nor honest. However, which of the men is innocent? the one that was sleeping with another man’s wife? or the one that left a fight and came back armed with a cutlass to deal with his rival?

For me none of them is innocent.

4. Bodunade

August 12, 2016 at 11:27 am

Crime of passion. This woman Na akuna.

Men need to start accepting that from time immemorial women are worse than them when it comes to cheating.

Now he’s going to rot in jail while the woman continues her runs.

• Bodunade

August 12, 2016 at 11:31 am

Men go crazy because they assume it’s abnormal or a taboo for a woman to sleep around, hence, the usual overreactions!

All the girls I know are expert cheats, so if anyone cheats on me. Why would I waste my quarrel or go to jail? Mbanu

• Yeyeperry

August 12, 2016 at 2:32 pm

All the girls you know? Doesn;t that say something about you?

• Bodunade

August 12, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Hey Tee, I miss you but pride lol.

I’m simply lot in this sodom and Gomorrah

• Aww

August 12, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Ify is that you?…….We miss you too *sobs*. Call me Silly!!

5. Immaculate

August 12, 2016 at 11:37 am

Anuofia !!! He told you he want to marry you and you told him you are married!!! Igbokwe will leave the hose for months whenever you quarrel. Stupid woman!!!!

6. OO

August 12, 2016 at 11:41 am

why did you not just put magun on her ?

7. Peace

August 12, 2016 at 11:51 am

Toto and Penis matter go lead many hell fire o.
    God have mercy.

8. Peace

August 12, 2016 at 11:53 am

Toto and Penis matter go lead many to hell fire o.
    God have mercy.

9. kongira bah pulo

August 12, 2016 at 1:09 pm

How can a married woman allow a man who is following her to spend the night with her in her matrimonial home.Women are the people who will end the world.

10. Justsaying

August 12, 2016 at 2:49 pm

I wonder why the male blood heats up beyond boiling point when it has to do with his woman cheating- but then its normal for him to cheat. if more women were to take laws into their hands too, maybe infidelity and philandering will slowly decline. if he truly leaves the house for months, he possibly has a mistress/es yet she is allowed to live……..mtchew

11. uyai

August 12, 2016 at 3:37 pm

This woman is a big fool. Why did u marry at first when you knew you weren’t satisfied of sex. Asshole

12. OA

August 12, 2016 at 5:53 pm

“Involuntary manslaughter of the heat of passion type” as a defense would have been okay but he had time to “cool off” i.e. when upon realizing the other guy had overpowered him, he went all the way to the toilet to find the cutlass. He could easily have pulled back and walked away during this period. A good defense lawyer could get him off though. In as much as absurd as it sounds i.e per Paul Adeyemo, he can just say he was “defending his castle.”

Why is the wife in handcuffs? Na she kill persin? That Naija sef!

13. Beekay

August 12, 2016 at 7:27 pm

The moral of the story, cheating will always cost you something precious.

• Tosin

August 14, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Again, I’m confused. She was having sex. She did not kill anybody. Her overexcited husband was the one that got in a fight with a bigger person, that could not bear to lose the fight, that went for a weapon and slaughtered someone. Cheating is morality stuff, killing is big deal. He took someone’s life.
      I keep saying ban marriage if it’s going to just confuse people and make them think they own people that they do not own. Spouse has no right to kill someone. Spouse has right to divorce if not happy sharing. Has right to walk away or stay.
      The moral of the story, attacking people can lead to bigger problems. Learn to chill out.

14. Laface

August 12, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Is cheating/adultery a legal offence? Why is the woman in cuffs? Thought the crime here is murder and just the perpetrator is responsible?

• Tosin

August 14, 2016 at 6:42 pm

I just saw that. I hope you are wrong and that my eyes are wrong too.

15. Man

August 15, 2016 at 7:11 pm

If na me , I go just say both of us kill d man end of discussion , she must follow go own. Stupid woman.