News

Obasanjo was Impressed that I named my dog after him – Ali baba

Ali babaFollowing, the arrest, re-arrest and prosecution of a man, Joe Chinakwe, who named his dog “Buhari”, comedian, Ali Baba has shared a story about his dogs he named: OBJ (Obasanjo), Obama, Thatcher, Abacha, IBB (Babangida), Gaddafi, Clinton, Madiba (Nelson Mandela), among others.

According to Ali Baba, Obasanjo was aware that a dog was named after him, and even joked about it. He said that Obasanjo was impressed when he was told that there is a dog named after him in his (Ali Baba’s) house.

“But then again, OBJ had a different kind of personality and a high sense of humor. Everyone can not be the same. So I understand. And that is all I have to say,” Ali Baba said.

He share the photo above on Instagram and wrote:

My dogs and I back in the day. Must have had like 12 at a particular point in time. Interesting time. That time I mean. I had traveled and returned at night, but was too tired to relate with them. OBJ, the big Alsatian was the head of the pack. Then Obama was the big black and white Great Dane, the Alsatian on the bummer was Thatcher. Thatcher must have given me like 18 puppies… In her good days (X120k per puppy) the ridge back by Thatcher was called Madiba… It arrived from South Africa on the birthday of Mandela… The Second Harlequin Great Dane was named after Queen Amina… But the fiercest of my odds were Chaka, IBB AND Abacha. They took no prisoners. In fact, if I gave you anything I had used before, like shoes or clothes,my advice is not to wear them to my home. Because if Chaka, or Abacha caught a whiff of that item on you… You will not like yourself.

They were my trusted securities and my friend. One time in LEKKI, 1997 or so, a guy scaled the fence into my compound in the night. I was woken up to a shouts of “Oga come o!!!!!” “Oga I am finished!” And Usman my guard was having a good laugh. At 2am! The petty thief was on the roof of my V-Boot. I was more scared for his life than he was of it. Because then we had Chaka, Gaddafi and Clinton. Those who new these dogs will testify to their brutality. Go ask @basorge_tariah and @officialbunmidavies…

But with hindsight now, I am just thanking God. Yes oooo! I have to thank God ooo. That it was not now, that I named my dogs after any sitting president and foreign leaders. In fact, Obasanjo himself was very impressed years later when his friend that brought me a gift from Baba, told him how a dog called OBJ in Ali Baba’s house nearly killed him.

Baba used to warn my wife then, that if she ever decided to have a dog meal, she should not touch OBJ… But then again, OBJ had a different kind of personality and a high sense of humor. Everyone can not be the same. So I understand. And that is all I have to say.

Ali Baba, in his next post also called on the President to call the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) and the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) to order, adding that the Fulani herdsmen menace, and other issues bedevilling the country have not gotten such swift attention.Ali baba2

Meanwhile, Vanguard reports that Joe’s family, as at 3:30PM on Thursday had not yet perfected the bail conditions for his release from prison.

Family sources that spoke with Vanguard on phone, said they were able to raise only N20, 000, but could not complete the money.

A family source said they made passionate appeals to the authorities to accept what they had and release the trader. However, it was not clear if their appeals had been accepted but sources said the authorities were still profiling two of his guarantors as at 3.30pm yesterday.

1. kilipot

August 25, 2016 at 2:36 pm

Very valid points and the Presidency or whatever institution needs to intervene.
    I’m all for freedom of expression but then again besides the man being from Niger Republic and all that and Police handling the situation in a weird way, and YES the Fulani/Hausa are known for their intolerance. ( We all know that)
    Having known that, why then do u shave and inscribe Buhari on your dog if not to cause unnecessary tension with the community.
    Alibaba did u inscribe the name Obasanjo on your dog? Did u drag it round town to taunt people?
    In whatever we do, intentions matter.

20,000 naira now for bail they cannot afford.
    The wife is crying up and down.
    Let’s all be reasonable in all we do. We live in shitty times. After all is said and done, you ll find that you are just on your own.
    Before Nigeria is eventually restructured or broken apart, let’s apply common sense in all we do.

2. bitumen

August 25, 2016 at 3:01 pm

So we are clear, a man named joe wrote the name buhari on both sides of his dog for all to see in a community in Sango Ota dominated by Arewa Muslim Northern Nigerians. Coincidentally, one of Joes Neighbors in the Arewa community reported to the police because his fathers name is Alhaji buhari and he found it to be offensive and provocative.

My take on this is simple, Police did well. As far as i know, some people can be violent over the slightest provocation. I have witnessed two riots;One in Mile12 and one in Agric Ikorodu between Northerners and Lagosians over issues that are less trivial than this and those riots led to loss of lives that cant be replaced. This issue would have easily escalated and led to loss of life if it happened in Kano. I dont think this has anything to do with Mr. President and Alibabas view is totally out of context in my opinion. Unless of course he can name his dog Obasanjo and write Obasanjo on both sides of the Dog and give the dog a walk in obasanjos hoemtown with his head held up high. That is when Alibabas view will be in the same context.

All said and done, If Joe has an excellent lawyer, this is a no case. All the police could have done was to issue a warning and call both parties together for a meeting. GOD bless Nigeria.

3. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

August 25, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Try it with BUBU…?

4. DatEnuguChic

August 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Hmmm Ali baba it haff do. Looking for every little opportunity to show himself. And NO im not hating, i like his success story but sometimes Silence is golden.

You are most powerful when you are most silent. People never expect silence. They expect words, motion, defense, offense, back and forth. They expect to leap into the fray. They are ready, fists up, words hanging leaping from their mouths. Silence? No.”
    ― Alison McGhee, All Rivers Flow To The Sea

• mrs chidukane

August 25, 2016 at 3:52 pm

I wonder how this world would be if we all decided to be silent.

• The Real Oma

August 25, 2016 at 4:23 pm

You actually think he should have kept silent in the face of injustice??? Your quote is interesting but totally WRONG in this context!
      What Mr Chinakwe did was insensitive yes, but unlawful? capital NO.

5. rain

August 25, 2016 at 4:08 pm

for all those supporting the police for locking up a citizen for freedom of expression. It may be your turn tomorrow and no one will cry out for you. This present Govt is all about locking up bloggers, citizens and common men etc for their freedom of expression. Thank you Ali Baba

6. Prince

August 25, 2016 at 4:21 pm

I love Baba(OBJ), he’s got a very good sense of humour. Like Ali Baba said, The President should call his boys to order and order the immediate release of that man.

7. Single Shalewa, Bitter Bintu!

August 25, 2016 at 4:30 pm

It’s quite disappointing that someone like Ali Baba still doesn’t grasp the gravity of what that man did. When it comes to religion or ethnicity, we can be stupidly over-sensitive. That dude bought a dog, named it Buhari, wrote the name on the two sides of the dog (like who does that) and walked the dog around the Huasa section of a popular market in Sango.

Let’s flip the story a bit. Let’s picture a Mohammed or Segun, he buys a pig, names it Chukwuemeka Odimegwu Ojukwu, writes these names on the pig and walks it inside Alaba Market. Are you telling me nothing would happen? Let’s not lie please.

See, what that guy did could have led to a huge bloodshed despite him saying it was named after his hero blah blah. He was mischievous plain and simple. Meanwhile, we assuming the president is intolerant, he hates freedom of speech etc is stupid. You mean to tell me President Buhari ordered his arrest? Let’s not be stupid please. He was going to incite and take so many lives with him. Thank God those ones had a bit of sense and reported him to the police instead.

An innocent woman was killed two months ago all because she disallowed a Hausa guy from doing ablution in front of HER shop. She was stoned to death. Those devils.

This issue is not about the president, it’s about a stupid fellow who wanted to start an ethnic crisis.

Sir Ali Baba, you gave your dogs those names without any mischief, besides, no be VGC you dey live? Abi one of those choice areas? Please sit. And quit namedropping. We know you know people, you have a close relationship with Obj, keep it moving.
    Funny how you hardly namedrop Gbemi Saraki. LOL!

• Mama

August 25, 2016 at 4:53 pm

God bless you for your objectivity. While i think arresting the man and detaining him is going too far, there is no denying that his actions were insensitive.

All those shouting freedom of speech will not fail to call for someone’s head if a neighbor inscribed their father or child’s name on a dog(delibrately and you know the person is refering to you).

We sincerely last mutual respect for our differences in this country.Bigotry is firmly taking roots and we don’t even see the danger it poses. No lessons learnt from Rwanda. Sad!

• nnenne

August 26, 2016 at 12:39 am

The Igbos, will not kill you because you named your dog ojukwu and wrote it on him.

Igbos do not kill at the slightest provocation!

The guy did not say any abusive word nor did he taunt his neighbors with words.
      Igbos have their faults, but mass massacre at the slightest provocation is not one of them.
      The police have no write to lock the man up.
      Worst case, they could have asked him ammendment his act.
      Locking him up is rediculous!

8. Ali's right

August 25, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Obj was called several unprintable names but he ignored them,there by encouraging others to continue to insult him,respect for others must be top priority for cordial relationship between all ethnicities.

9. Anonymous

August 25, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Though I feel arresting and rearresting this man is not necessary, I still feel people should just take a moment, read carefully and understand before giving their opinion. This man was not arrested because he named the dog after the president but because he named him after his neighbour’s father.

• nnenne

August 27, 2016 at 12:18 am

My nephew in-laws name is Lucky.
      Recently there’s a dog in their neighbhood called Lucky.
      The parents did not get upset ,nor did they make noise!
      Buhari, is nobody’s name. His neighbors father has to be something, something Buhari. He must have a first name, middle name with Buhari as the last name or first name.
      If all those names are not given to the dog, he cannot claim that his father’s name was given to the dog.
      There are so many Buharis not just his father and/ or the president.

Dogs have be answering human names world over, before now!

People have to be tolerant of each other.
      Nigeria belongs to all of us.

10. Amh

August 25, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Alibaba or aliwerey should sit down with his horse teeth and yamayama mouth. Buffon.

11. Lacey

August 26, 2016 at 6:16 am

@Thank you @Mrs Chidukane! We live in a free society!anybody can name their dog whatever! Hunger does not make Nigerians think straight again! I support Alibaba!Even Lawyers are with the man!that is why we are in a civil society!the reason John Kerry was preaching education for the North!I remember my Jaimaican flat mate then in London calling me a monkey!May God forgive me,I just bursted into laughter because na she resemble monkey sef