News

How Nigeria Kills Her Entrepreneurs: The Nuli Story

OfiliSpeaks

Cp-M7zoW8AAB2XPAt 10:55 am this morning, I received a whatsapp message that read:

“Lagos state is pulling down Ada’s shop.
So much for doing business in Nigeria.”

I was in the middle of a meeting when I received that message, but I immediately excused myself to make a quick phone-call to clarify the text.

Unfortunately the voice over the phone confirmed my fears, Ada Osakwe 2014 Forbes 20 Youngest Power Women in Africa, Archbishop Desmond Tutu Leadership Fellow of the Africa Leadership Institute and a fellow of the African Leadership Network (ALN) was just told a few minutes ago that her store had been marked for Lagos state demolition.

IMG-20160901-WA0025

And the Lagos state government came prepared, they had a bulldozer, and polices officers armed with guns ready to carry out the deed. You would think for a second that they were destroying a criminal hideout.

At the back of my head I was hoping the issue would be resolved. Maybe the Landlord needed to pay the right people and they would go away.

But then around 1:12 pm, I received another image from our alumni’s whatsapp group. The store staff were on the building trying to remove the NULI JUICE logo from the building top in an attempt to rescue it from the impending demolition. That’s when it started occurring to me that this was quite serious.

Immediately I drove down to the store to see what exactly was going on. And what I saw was really the saddest thing I had seen in a long time. It was this picture…

14231933_10153684553327307_6353221401143658263_o

The entire building and store had been reduced to a pile of rubbles. I saw business owners wading through the mess trying to salvage whatever they could find. Maybe a “door frame” or an “electrical wire” whatever they could get their hands on.

And across the road was Ada dressed coincidentally in black watching as a business with so much promise … one that she had poured her heart and soul into for months being buried in less than a few hours with nothing but a few minutes of warning!

I remember the first time she told me she would build a store in Lagos. The ideas she had, the passion and the optimism, I saw fire in her eyes. She showed me pictures from the Abuja store and told me about an app that would allow her watch her stores 24/7. She was excited and I was excited, here was someone my classmate who was going to do something different … something BIG.

And when I heard the store was opened I immediately went down to see it … dragging my girlfriend along. Everything about the store was exquisite, the furniture, the music, everything. Just as she had described. I would drive by the store often and there she would be in the window at her computer working, marketing and planning.

nuli juice

But now all that was gone. The dreams and visions “temporarily” reduced to a pile of rubbish.

And in the midst of the concrete waste a lot of people will gather to discuss legalities.

But for me I choose to discuss “entrepreneurship” and what message the Lagos state Government sends to its young and aspiring entrepreneurs …

For a country in the middle of a recession, battling low unemployment and one desperately in need of jobs. For that country to destroy a legit business employing people without any warning to hardworking business owners sends the wrong message. It tells people that the government does not RESPECT or CARE about small businesses.

Because if it did this would never have happened.

A government that respects small businesses and understands their critical impact to the Economy will ensure that their businesses are not destroyed with just a 10 minute notice. They would do more to protect their entrepreneurs. And they definitely won’t send armed police to break down their stores as if they were some sort of criminal hideouts. They will treat them with respect.

But today there was no sign of respect or empathy. It was just coldness and today I felt really hopeless about my future in Nigeria. Because I witnessed the birth and destruction of a business in a matter of weeks. I saw a business buried right in front of her owner.

The touch of sadness was palpable, the smell of hopelessness and frustration suffocating. I saw tears.

But I know one day (and this is really cliche) things will be different, because our generation will be in-charge and this generation that has failed us and still fails us will get to see in their last few years what Nigeria should and could have been.

And for every “Ada” out there, that has gotten their businesses harassed, barraged, insulted, degraded and destroyed by a myopic Government, hang in there. They can destroy your buildings, but they can never kill your IDEAS.

Okechukwu Ofili is a trouble maker, the author of 4 books and speaks at organizations that are tired of hearing the same old stuff and want the truth. He is also the founder of okadabooks.com and blogs daily at ofilispeaks.com You can follow him on Twitter or stalk him on Instagram You can also read his funny books on konga or okadabooks

1. Fifi

September 1, 2016 at 9:40 pm

Ive been so sad all day about this incident, this were peoples investments, sweat and toil and bastards just destroyed it, may the landlord burn in hell may the officials burn in hell, i hate this country so much right now, no single empathy anywhere

2. GOD WHY???

September 1, 2016 at 9:44 pm

IKUNLE ABIYAMO O!!!!

• Jo!

September 1, 2016 at 10:55 pm

Ìkúnlè abiamo ke? Please, this exclamation is only reserved for “Death” and only death, just think about the literal meaning (a mothers labour pains, or something like that). Take It easy Biko

This was painful to watch sha. Lord. I LOVE Nuli, the space was so fantastic, those cute glass teacups and kettles. Spoilt me for every other teacup since then. You could see it was a labour of love, every little detail had been thought through. This is so painful. I hope they get compensation/justice, one of the time I truly pray the power of SM comes through

• Adunni

September 4, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Please don’t criticise what you only don’t know. Ikunle Abiyamo is an exclamation that can be used in any serious/painful scenario just like this one. This is the attempted murder of a business and someone’s effort and vision. Not many things are more painful. I really wish Ada a speedy recovery.

3. King Bae

September 1, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Tomorrow, Nigerian government would be so quick to compare themselves to the United States **rolls eyes**. Tell me how a country cannot simply support small businesses??? Like seriously, Nigeria’s change is not a day, a week, a month or years thing. We have a LONG way to go. I feel so sorry for Ada. Ada pick yourself up and take your entrepreneurial ideas elsewhere. Nigeria is NOT ready. #sad.

4. hmm..hmm..

September 1, 2016 at 9:55 pm

I saw the video today, so heart wrenching. I hope the lagos government responds, please know that this could happen in other countries but way less likely. I hope the government gets themselves together, this is unacceptable. I hope things work out for her and her company in the end. This is jut ridiculous. God will bless her efforts, Amen!

5. Ella

September 1, 2016 at 9:55 pm

What a sad news to wake up to? I’ve always admired Ada and her achievements and I hope to meet her someday.
    Living in a country where the smart are ridiculed and discouraged, even when they are making it with NO help whatsoever from the government, in a society where mediocrity is encouraged and are the ones leading the country, my little ounce of hope left is being washed into the lagoon with my eyes open.
    This is so sad! People have lost their means of livelihood, and this is a government that promised jobs and heaven and earth….hmmmm…. I wonder how? And please dont say its not the governments fault bla bla bla, because its pretty clear that government doesnt give a toss about SME’s

My heart goes out to Ada, and everyone else that was affected, it could be anybody.
    Just like Ofili said, “one day, our generation will be in charge!” Its timefor the youth to rise up!

X

6. Just my 1 Cents

September 1, 2016 at 10:13 pm

This is just super sad.

Can she and other businesses on the strip set up a Go Fund Me account for people like me who want to help?

• Weezy

September 1, 2016 at 10:59 pm

I understand this impulse, but please no. Nuli is a business not a nonprofit. It would be highly improper for the public to donate to help a profit-making enterprise. Plus, you have no idea what her income is and if she is even richer than you that is donating to her business!

You’re better of funding a campaign to change the law or regulations.

• James Bond

September 2, 2016 at 4:14 am

Weezy

You are as stupid as illiterates come, cause nuli juice might be financially buoyant means we shouldn’t support during this bad news.

Olriburukwu Omo alé.

I have said it time and time again, the atrocities Nigerians inflict on themselves is more damaging than slave trade tales.

Our first instinct is to oppress our neighbour, throw the biggest wedding, buy the biggest cars, go to the best holidays while our neighbour drowns in sorrow.

This crab in a barrel mentality will only keep us all down.

What’s obvious is, someone wanted nuli juice building destroyed, someone wanted that potential success story cut short, ruin the dream before it grows from a seed into an oak tree.

That’s being the mentality of our rulers!

One bastard Chinese company will open tomorrow, start importing juice and Lagos state representatives will be there to launch the office but we will destroy our home grown companies because they are not Dangote, Otedola and Adenuga.

The young shall one day revolt against this oppression from the old hags that don’t understand Forex policy.

• Wawu!!

September 2, 2016 at 8:56 am

WOW. James Bond. You MUST BE Bipolar or something. Nothing else can explain your outburst. All these curses? On top wetin fa? You need a doctor. And not just any doctor. A proper shrink to cure your ailment!

• Naijatalk

September 2, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Weezy this is wrong of you. I have seen so many funding campaigns to help businesses on gofundme. Let everyone exercise prerogative on this matter.

BN what’s with the avatar change? Can’t complain anyway, this is change we can see…

• Corolla

September 2, 2016 at 1:45 pm

@JamesBond, were you harsh word to Weezy necessary? “God will punish you and allow you burry your parents alone even if you have money to burry them. Olriburukwu Omo alé” Why would you spew such dark and intense words at somebody? Is it what it has come to that we curse strangers online?

• Just my 1 Cents

September 2, 2016 at 12:04 am

I understand your stance, but this is way beyond “if she is even richer” . What about others whose businesses were ripped apart, she’s not the only one. These businesses employed people and make up the core of what drives our economy. People lives are being impacted here. In fact, I prefer to donate for for-profit businesses bc they have longer IMPACT on people lives than donations.

There are organizations out there that donates for businesses to start from scratch, so why should it be a sin for us to donate to businesses that employ people? Donation is not always meant for non-profit purposes. What has all the donations that the west donated to Africa been used for? Imagine if they had given those donations to small businesses instead.

I do agree we need to fund some sort of organization that protects tenants and SMEs. We just need to come out together as people and support to show that gov cannot silence its’ people. Complaining on Twitter and Instagram is not enough. We need to take action.

7. International Student

September 1, 2016 at 10:24 pm

This is sad. Very sad. However there could be a silver lining. This is brought massive popularity and Goodwill for her brand. She can capitalise on that. She shouldn’t give up. She should dust herself up and pick up where she left. I know this is easy coming from me who haven’t invested millions into the business but really there could be a beautiful end to this

• Just my 1 Cents

September 1, 2016 at 10:34 pm

The lady is tenacious and she already is not giving up. Nuli juice Instagram page says that they will continue to deliver orders to their customers. This is the MENTALITY Nigeria needs to support and not destroy.

• beltsbear

September 2, 2016 at 4:58 pm

That is funny you should have such an optimistic outlook. In the real world that might be worth a few days business but not a destroyed building and all of the costs to rebuild.

8. wale

September 1, 2016 at 10:26 pm

The fraud you call Apc is destroying you people. Do you know government put nothing into your business and yet milk you everyday for tax? U still end up spending money on the things u paid tax for. Bcos some people r receiving benefit to solve their problem, they will sing government praise. If their child was involved, they will not destroy

9. Great Lady

September 1, 2016 at 10:26 pm

This is so sad

10. House of Lunettes CEO

September 1, 2016 at 10:40 pm

When you understand the struggle behind entrepreneurial pursuits and the myriad obstacles you are faced with in a country like Nigeria, watching the demolition of Ada’s store is gut wrenching.

I have built stores across Nigeria and as a startup, the birth and launch of a new store signifies undeniable hope in a country filled with impossibilities. Sleepless nights, agonizing hours of store design sessions, frustrating experiences dealing with crazy contractors or craftsmen, many last minute hustles with ensuring your store lives up to the expectations of your customers and all the tiny details of where to place furniture or store props. The euphoria that overcomes you as you hang the “now open” sign is the dream of any small business owner.

The feeling is like watching a police officer kill a recent college graduate for refusing to pay a parking fine. Totally senseless in my opinion. Please don’t tell Ada it is well or God is in control or other religious bullshit us Nigerians typically resort to in the face of adversity. We need to hold the government and property owner equally liable. The landlord must have owed taxes and caused the government to act in which he/she should be sued, but it is the duty of the Government to ensure the business owner is informed formerly about the adverse action and a scheduled date for any follow up action. This structure was not erected in 2hrs, so adequate period for evacuation or planned relocation should have been offered if that was the ultimate decision.

How can we attract foreign investments when we take barbaric and inhumane actions on budding small businesses in a country plagued with high unemployment?

A gofundme page or other support medium should be in order to provide some relief to Ada and her team (I will gladly contribute). Forget lawsuits in Nigeria, a future titan like Ada shouldn’t sit around donkey years waiting for a judge to award damages that will never be paid.

Ada. You are an inspiration to many of us, keep up this fight!

Akin

• Weezy

September 1, 2016 at 11:04 pm

Comon people stop it with the GoFundMe!

You are donating funds to someone with a high net worth compared to most nigerians, with pedigree and government connections because she experienced a business setback that thousands of Nigerians who are poorer than her face on a regular basis and who can’t leave for Abuja or London.

Advocate for better policies and regulations. Don’t advocate for people to give her money!!! The absolute worst thing she can do right now is ask for donations.

• tunmi

September 1, 2016 at 11:12 pm

• Bade

September 2, 2016 at 2:32 pm

@Weezy, true though. Let’s not forget those who don’t have the privilege of being able to buy data let alone make a report for the world to see on Instagram.

11. nene

September 1, 2016 at 10:44 pm

this has been going on in several markets across lagos. sometimes they even burn down the markets to force people to move away. i think the problem should be from the landlords, not really the state government,

• tunmi

September 1, 2016 at 11:15 pm

Thank you!!! When decades-old markets were being burned, we didn’t hear pim! Because it was none of our business. But now it is, and….

• Naijatalk

September 2, 2016 at 1:44 am

Yep, government has been in the business of wanton demolitions of market stalls and stores for as long as I can remember. We as a people have never demanded better. Perhaps because it affected the common market women and alaba boys/traders. Now it is one of our own and we have found our voice. Please let’s adopt a speak up attitude on social issues regardless of how it may or may not directly impact us. One day, they will come for us and who will speak then…

• Chinma Eke

September 2, 2016 at 7:47 am

While I agree that this has been going on to ‘smaller’ businesses for years without the public outcry; but……. na one day something dey start; na one day e go stop.

This might just be a way for the voices of the small business owner to be heard.

12. Oprah

September 1, 2016 at 10:46 pm

I know this may sound really horrible, but Ada was one a special assistant in the Ministry of Agriculture…..

Obviously, she does not deserve this, no one does, but it’s interesting how perspectives and effects alter once people are on this side of life. I wish all government officials were able to live just one year as regular Nigerians who have to kill themselves to make a living so that they would see the impact of their decisions.

I also hope people like Ada can return to government with a brand new view on life in Nigeria and use this to make people-empowering decisions that move our country forward.

I really am sorry to see this happen to your store Ada, but unfortunately, I also can’t help but think of the number of people who will die tonight in hospitals across Nigeria because of selfish policies and corruption. If those people have no value to the government, I highly doubt your rented property does.

• ola

September 3, 2016 at 1:58 pm

God bless you

13. Mr. Egghead

September 1, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Nigeria doesn’t care about small business. There’s a lot of lip service about ‘helping SMEs grow’, but when it’s crunch time, the only people who get any kind of help are big businesses and businesses backed by politicians. Funds for SMEs are difficult to access. Their businesses are taxed mercilessly by both everybody that can cause wahala
    The system is built to help the elite. That’s why things will never change regardless of the party/president in power.
    You want employment? Na wahala. Oya you want to be entrepreneur; na double wahala.

Mr. Ofili, I don’t feel things will ever change. Those who are in power are grooming heirs to take over. They are getting great education abroad unlike some of our home-grown graduates who come to NYSC camp without knowing the difference between ‘is’ and ‘was’ They are getting great jobs too. I know a big man pikin who came back to Naija in a peculiar dilemma. Her poor brain was confused between taking up jobs with Globacom, AMCON and becoming an aide to a deputy minister.

Nigeria’s middle class is evaporating. the gap between the rich and poor is so wide. At least, the Western world has some form of welfarism for the poor, but for Naija, na every mallam to im kettle. Everyday, another middle-class family is scrimping every last kobo to hustle Canada Express Entry. Recently, I heard of a woman who used a bank loan to ‘born pikin’ in the US, That is her own form of investment in her children. These people see that whatever glorious horizon has been promised is just a mirage. There is no “one day things go better.”
    Things will not change until our system is broken. We need divine intervention or a military coup by a benevolent dictator.

Ada is a strong and extraordinarily driven woman. I’m sure she’ll pick her self up and power on. It didn’t kill her so she’s stronger for it

14. tunmi

September 1, 2016 at 10:49 pm

As sad as this is, it’s one sided. There is no mention of the landlord who let this happen in the article. I hope she goes ahead with the lawsuit for both the lagos govt and the landlord. The landlord is responsible for this mess.

• tunmi

September 1, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Forgot one thing: It’s Nigerians that kill entrepreneurs. We can keep calling govt from now till we’re blue in the face but we (Nigerians, individuals) make up said government.

15. Eastern Canadian

September 1, 2016 at 11:00 pm

But this is not a new thing now. This is not the first and it won’t be the last. Its been happening since I can remember. All you can do is pray for your business

16. emka ugo

September 1, 2016 at 11:07 pm

This same issued happened in Imo state as well. Infact Imo State presently is a dead city and the hardship going on among the residents is unbearable. The number of deaths happening in that state is heart breaking. So the government decided to embark on total demolition of buildings and this affected so many peoples businesses. Like Businesses that are source of livelihood by its owners. I remember well one widow that her shop was demolished. This woman sells food products so that her and her kids can be able to atleast eat a 3 square meal. from that same shop her two kids are attending Universities. From that same business she was able to complete the bungalow building her husband left uncompleted before his sudden death and now a wicked and heartless man just decided to demolish it. In her presence the woman saw her building brought down and she could not do anything. The annoying thing was that she was not informed and was not even allowed to bring out her goods from the store atleast before demolishing everything. That day she was just crying for death to just come and kill her. And this story is one among other shop owners that were rendered useless by this wicked government. Government that was voted in by the people. I feel pity for this lady but there are plenty of people affected by such wicked incidence that has no body to run to for help. From my findings about the woman after the incident , my cousin told me that after the incidence the woman and her family decided to go back to their village because their was no need living in the town anymore. And only God can imagine the sufferings that her and her family is passing through. Even the so called rochas government has decided not to pay workers their salary for close to 7 Months now and he just passed a law that civil servants should work 3 times in a week. Just so that he will not pay them their full salary. Is that not wickedness of the highest order to your own fellow human beings, Our politicians are wicked and heartless and even the so called people that work with them as well. Same incidence happened during ohakim’s period as governor. So its like a repetition in every government.

17. Nahum

September 1, 2016 at 11:09 pm

These overgrown toddlers that are in power are going to push the youth into a revolution. Why should the government wage war on small enterprises in this recession? Are zoning laws what we need right now? How about respecting the rights of the business owner? Did they give them adequate notification? Did they give them the right of reply before demolition was carried out? This is not how to run a country abeg. As if Nigerians have not suffered enough

18. tunmi

September 1, 2016 at 11:14 pm

I’m actually disappointed with this article. Let’s take some time to think here before we castigate the country. No one is happy that this happened, not a single person. However, to quote @Ready on the initial post: https://www.bellanaija.com/2016/09/we-have-lost-hope-in-nigeria-rising-company-nuli-juice-shares-harrowing-experience-as-policemen-demolished-their-newly-opened-store-today/#comments

oh, and there was warning so please don’t do that. You’re better than that.

“I empathize. I so empathize with her.

But Nigeria is not finished. This isn’t a federal policy, it’s Lagos. The governor issued an ultimatum that was well publicized on social media platforms, traditional media, etc. You most likely saw it unless you just didn’t care to know. The state government is not beholden to tell occupants – for cost and logistics reason; they told the landlords (those whose names are registered as owners of land). By all means, please sue your landlord.

A lot of demolition has been going on on the mainland, and nobody is crying foul. Why? Because illegal is illegal and these structures either obstruct proper water or traffic flow, or they’re built on stolen government land. Please don’t pay millions for rent until you determine it is a legal structure.”

• Hot_spice

September 1, 2016 at 11:57 pm

Thank you . The landlord should be sued.
      I saw in the media (both print and electronic) the warning given to landlords. We should take the extra step in finding out about the location of our businesses e.g is it CBD(central business district) or residential. You find out now that some areas that were obviously residential have been turned to a place of worship and years or decades down the line when a new govt who desires to go back to the original blue print makes a move people will cry out. I am sympathetic but then ignorance of the law leaves no room for such.
      Please sue the landlord for all he is worth.

• Iris

September 2, 2016 at 11:25 pm

I agree the landlord is the culprit, but I also think the building should have been sealed before they looked into demolishing. Also, why were they allowed to get away with this (the landlord) for so long? We need to get to the point where the structure isn’t even allowed halfway up before action is taken.

• Las

September 2, 2016 at 12:30 am

Salient points.

• ElessarisElendil

September 2, 2016 at 1:01 am

Agreed, this is heart-tugging stuff but the government isn’t at fault here, the landlord is and for a city as overpopulated as Lagos, making exemptions for illegal structures is a road to chaos.

From my understanding, government offers some sort of compensation when claiming private property, the landlord has a lot of questions to answer.

• #MadeInNaija

September 2, 2016 at 9:35 am

How do you recognize a legal structure in Nigeria.? There is absolutely no way of doing that. Is it Government that discovers a lot of ghost workers on her payroll that will maintain an accessible/reliable database of legal structures… Is it not possible. Until then, we will and deal with all these inherent risks.

• NIRA

September 2, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Thank you for your comments. This is sad, but I know that Govt usually gives notice weeks before any demolition. The landlord deceived her maybe. The Lagos state govt didn’t just wake up and demolish structures. Here in Abuja, they mark 1st warning, till a final notice/warning is given. Some landlords know that the structures they put up is illegal, or in a wrong place, but they won’t tell the tenants. We aspire to be like the Western world, can we achieve that if erect structures indiscriminately? In developed countries, they’ve proper regulations. Here, I’ve seen a landlord build and rent our with full knowledge that he shouldn’t build there. He said ‘at least before govt comes, I must’ve made small money’. Meanwhile the tenants didn’t know they had rented an illegal structure. People that do not live in Nigeria and don’t know what’s going on here are quick to condemn the govt.

• slice

September 2, 2016 at 11:56 pm

the government is at fault. we must demand more from the people we give the duty of serving us. Saying the landlord did not inform the tenants and the landlord alone is culpable for this nonsense is not the full picture. the government already knew the landlord was lawless. heck he supposedly put up an illegal structure. to then say we can go ahead and demolish because he has been informed and should inform the tenants is really failure of leadership. a true leader which apparently this government is not, would not pass on the buck. they would have ensured that the people received actual notice. To provide only Constructive Notice (ie the information is out there so you should be aware type notice) is completely a failure of leadership on the part of the government.

• Ready

September 5, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Ooohh,…look at me being all quoted. (Sorry, couldn’t help it. My stance remains the same though.)

19. artklub

September 1, 2016 at 11:28 pm

they should give us more details about this. why was it demolished? is this on the lagos water front? making way for lagos atlantic type projects? is this part of those markets that ambode has been asking people to relocate to new zones? very sorry for her….wow!

20. busola

September 1, 2016 at 11:52 pm

This is really sad and i sympathise with Ada but i am sure there is more to this story. Nigerians are quick to appoint blames on the government in situations like this. The truth is it is impossible for a store to be demolished because they owe money no matter how much. The highest that can happen is for the state government to lock up the store. Silverbird was in debt of billions so was Nicon luxury hotel but they were only locked up not demolished. Even the churches and club houses that were sanctioned for noise were not demolished only locked up. Oshodi was demolished because of illegal structures and abundance of slums.A building is only demolished if it gets in the way of the plan the state has for that location maybe roads or bridge is to pass through the place and they are compensated or if the land where it was built is actually government property or an illegal structure. It is quite painful no doubt but as an entrepreneur that she is, i expect her to have carried out due process before renting any building or space. Maybe if she had done that, this would have been avoided. I am very sure the landlord knew about it beforehand so he also can be blamed. Lagos state government is only doing their job to make the state beautiful and attractive which is what in turn brings in investors. Ikoyi will not be the best neigborhood in Lagos if the government just sat down and allowed everything in the name of encouraging entrepreneurship. By the way a business where you pay 5 million as rent no longer falls under SMEs.

21. Segi

September 2, 2016 at 1:09 am

Not to be little her efforts nor undermine the horrible impact of this destruction; but bellanaija and ‘her friends’ are super elitists! Every other month we hear of open markets being destroyed, most of us shrug our shoulder and move on. Whereas a high number of traders that own stores in such markets barely make a N1000 a day in profit to fend for themselves or families. Where are the articles that tell their stories? A wa wi ton wo ni ko si ‘Go Fund Me’ account. Go fund me ko, Go hug me ni. Kai priorities sha! How many regular joes drink ‘Premium’ cold press juices?!

• Mr. Egghead

September 2, 2016 at 1:58 am

hahaha
      Go hug me

• "changing moniker"

September 2, 2016 at 11:40 am

I totally agree….
      No GoFund me for this please…too many sick people out there to be funding a business woman that can afford to run her business from another location.
      I however sympathise with Nuli, you’ll come back bigger and stronger.

• tunmi

September 2, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Na now you know. As much as I like BN, it’s one of the – isms in hand

22. Doreen

September 2, 2016 at 1:44 am

When shops were demolished at Oshodi the high and mighty praised the government. No article on bellanaija and other blogs about how the government is killing businesses and discouraging entrepreneurs. Now it has happened to an elite and Nigeria is finished. I ask are all those market women and men not entrepreneurs?

I honestly feel sad and sorry this happened to you Ada, please hold your landlord accountable. Nigeria will never be okay until we start talking against government policies that do not favour businesses owned by all- poor, middle class and the rich.

23. AceOfSpades

September 2, 2016 at 3:11 am

I went into advertising a few years back. My dad’s friend who happened to be a minister back then told me straight up that I should just put up posts and put up anything I wanted without any going to any agency. He told me they’d frustrate me if I go through normal process but if I started out straight, someone will report me and then I will bribe my way to licenses and permit easily and cheaply!

Of course I did bribe my way to all that cheaply but then in the long run, structures and stuff got demolished. I nearly ran mad. I lost about 10m and customers even tried to sue me.

Moral of the story: There is no way she won’t know this would happen but deep down down, people believe they can handle what is coming. Is it not the MD of LASEPA? I’ll talk to him blah blah. When they say ‘isale oro l’egbin’ they don’t mean jazz or money rituals. If she didn’t know, then her landlord knows that property is illegal and would be destroyed but I don’t want to believe an educated and insightful lady like Ada won’t have proffesionals check the area well before putting it up!

24. Revolt!

September 2, 2016 at 3:54 am

Less talk, more action. Organize a protest. Stand in front of the landlord’s gate and harass him/her until she breaks and repays. We all know the legal route won’t work. Go to ambode’s office and don’t let him get through. They will not shoot the masses. Publicize it. Let it be in the media. But make the demands clear. From the landlord: BBHMM. Pay me what you owe me. From Lagos State: start stamping warnings on the physical structure BEFORE demolition. We “voted” you in to SERVE us, not to lord over us! Nigeria. We must revolt!

25. Miss W

September 2, 2016 at 7:01 am

This is very sad for the business. However @nulijuice let’s not allow emotions fight the wrong enemy. I’m not saying the government is good but this is likely to be the fault if the LANDLORD. Someone who owns a business around there has attested to the fact that the building amongst others had been marked for demolition SINCE LAST YEAR. You should hunt the LANDLORD and ESTATE AGENCY hat rented such out in the first place. As bad as the government is, bulldozer isn’t okada that they’ll just drive one morning to bulldoze buildings for no reason. I heard the Landlord refused to pay a fee. Get a LAWYER to hunt down the LANDLORD.

• Chinma Eke

September 2, 2016 at 7:49 am

What’s likely to happen is the landlord will promise to repay, and do so in trickles that’s useless to her. This is just so messed up.

26. Chinma Eke

September 2, 2016 at 8:05 am

In pointing fingers; I will point to the landlord for renting out a property which had been marked for demolition; Nuli for not doing it’s due diligence (yes, Nuli too); and most importantly the government.
    We all know the way the Nigerian government works, everything is hush hush until they are right infront of you burning or demolishing your business. Someone was said; if you want to confirm we have local government officials- setup a stall in front of your house. You don’t even need to open a shop, the speed with which they will come to you for their revenue will make your eye spin.
    That being said; LASG knew they were demolishing the buildings, what happened to pasting a notice on the building- giving the business owners a heads-up. We talk about someone in the comments above sighted the logistics cost; lemme tell you all a story.
    i was in a neighbourhood store a while back when this refuse truck pusher got to the front of the shop and his stuff spilled. See alakoba! While he was packing it up a car drove past and the lady in the owners corner got down, came into the shop furiously and addressed the shop owner: Madam you are patronising a refuse cart pusher, after all our warnings? You will see us tomorrow.
    not waiting for an explanation, she got into her car and it drove off. True to her words, Lawma officials were at the shop bright and early the next day (I followed up). The shop owner wasn’t owing and had all her reciepts. Not having a case, the Lawma officials merely demanded ‘breakfast’ and something to appease madam back in the office.
    The point to this whole long post is; if the government respected the business owners they would have found ways to notify them directly. But no; that isn’t our govt style. Think Oshodi, Tejuosho, Ladipo, Falomo, etc. The government always goes about its business as though the small business owner is its enemy. Something is wrong with that.

27. ifiiii

September 2, 2016 at 8:28 am

This is sad but sometimes we need to speak the truth, the government has been announcing about demolishing illegal structures in Ikoyi, vi and lekki environs. The shop wont have been pulled down if it was not illegally erected. She should charge both the land lord and estate agent to court. She was dealt a bad hand. I sincerely sympathize with her.

28. Bigtt

September 2, 2016 at 8:39 am

Sipping on my tea and making some few dollars on my laptop writing lessons 🙁 Sad I’ve always seen the place each time I drive pass. This government nor wan epp at all. Block inflow of forex to the youths until recently ….we go survive

29. Lagos state govt

September 2, 2016 at 9:23 am

I have a feeling that ADA knows her shop/store will be demolish by the government but she never pay attention to it. I work with the Lagos state govt. and we go to mark the place for at least two weeks after notifying the landlords and sometimes tenant before demolishing

• #MadeInNaija

September 2, 2016 at 2:23 pm

Dear “”Lagos state govt”, Point noted but however, because of all these social frictions, I appeal that demolition should be never be an option through which Government attempts to recover outstanding permit fees. Additionally, demolition should only be applicable to structurally compromised buildings or buildings that were erected on illegally acquired lands (court of law has to prove this fact anyway) etc. Furthermore, a well-acknowledged notice ( at least 6 months) should be served to the Occupants and as well the Landlord in addition to publication of the notice in Newspapers and Social Media handles of the Government six months before the date of demolition. In this way, there will be no argument from any sides and the affected occupants will have adequate time for relocation to a new place.. Thanks, Long Live Lagos

• slice

September 3, 2016 at 12:02 am

pictures were taken before the place was demolished. there was no sign on any

• Kayode

September 3, 2016 at 6:42 am

The before picture was taken when the shop was opened newly. We actually informed them before we demolish structures. She was fully aware but ignored our warnings maybe the landlord told her nothing will happen because he is so and so in society!

30. ao

September 2, 2016 at 9:24 am

At the risk of pouring salt to her wounds; I read up on this girl and as accomplished as she is, she failed to do her due diligence. This is a risk of returnees doing business in Nigeria, they assume the same rules of the overseas apply but as intelligent as she is, she should have checked. You will be surprised how many people build illegally and how easy it is to check if a building is illegal. This isn’t the fault of government, it is the fault of the landlord and some fault on the business owner for not checking. If you are going to do business in Nigeria, always assume that everything will go wrong and take some cover your ass insurances against all calamities.

As for prewarning from the govt, I have to say I have passed by a few houses that have signs posted on them saying they were at the risk of demolition. Furthermore, I won’t be surprised if the landlord was contacted privately and he/she was trying to negotiate their way out. In any case, before we start go fund me etc, remember that this babe worked in PE and knows how to raise funds. She will bounce back quicker than anyone can say Nuli

31. #MadeInNaija

September 2, 2016 at 9:28 am

This is quite unfortunate. My sympathies goes to the Business Owners/staff and equally the landlord that lost his property. Demolition should not be an option except where the structural integrity of a building is compromised or it is done to save lives. When there is a dispute or delay in payment for a permit for a building, LASG’s initial action should be to seal off the place and invite BOTH Landlords/Tenants formally and work out a mutually agreed payment plan before the place is re-opened. They have to be in business and generate money before they can pay. I understand from today’s report that the building was demolished due to the inability of the Landlord to pay for a permit of NGN40M (this amount is too much for a permit except it is backlog of payments). So, now that the building is gone, has LASG recovered the money? That revenue is gone. Recovery of debt is a process and should not be like a death penalty. However, whereby the Landlords defaults severally with the payment plan despite several reminders, I think the most appropriate thing to take over ownership of the building and sell it off to financially viable companies in a bid to recover their monies.

• Tosin

September 2, 2016 at 1:14 pm

What I would have wished that I could write. A lot of people are unable to think, and that’s why we have professions to do the thinking for us. Basically illiterate land, and that’s why there will need to be severe punishment to help people understand that next time you don’t just start demolishing things like a demon.

• Person

September 2, 2016 at 3:50 pm

Payment plan for what? The structure was on a flood zone, according to reports. What are you peeps talking about?!

32. Lucinda

September 2, 2016 at 9:35 am

Go fund me? Really?? Nigeria is in recession and millions of people can’t afford 3 Square meals a day, but you want Nigerians to donate money for a premium juice bar. The most annoying are those blaming the Government. Is the landlord a ghost?

33. dee

September 2, 2016 at 9:39 am

This sad event happens all the time to the poorest pple who manage to own a shop in areas marked for demolition.
    now we can relate because its someone like us! hmm
    sorry NULI sorry mama shikira, mama tope and others affected in other parts of Lagos and Nigeria as a whole

34. John

September 2, 2016 at 9:42 am

Pls where’s the landlord in all of this?? I feel for the business owners, I’ll have almost gone crazy but I think we keep blaming government for what could be others’ fault. I’ve seen people building shops with that red x mark on it and days later, the mark has been plastered over. It could be that someone got bribed or the owner just ignored the warning but these things happen all over Lagos. Someone will pay rent for those shops and later government will come and demolish. However from the government side, we’re all humans, it could have been handled better. I know one a lady in this new inaugurated committee to restore VI, ikoyi, Lekki, she’s young, she’s well educated, she’s exposed, she could have taken time as a young person to another and gone to the shop owner(s) to tell them what’s going on so that maybe they’ll have been able to approach their landlord on time to find a solution. We keep complaining about a dirty Lagos, flooded Lagos, nothing gets done but I feel like these things need to happen. You shouldn’t build where you’re not supposed to, you shouldn’t sell where you’re not supposed to. I’ve seen people sell stuff on medians on a highway, I’ve seen markets take over roads, when government comes and destroys them, folks come out and say government is wicked. Almost every great city when through something like this at some point. I support the demolishing of ILLEGAL structures but it can’t just all be papers and bulldozers, the human aspect has to be a huge part of it i.e. education and proper warning especially to tenants that may not know.

35. neka

September 2, 2016 at 9:45 am

I strongly agree with those calling out the elitist nature of articles such as these. Why not address the real issues rather than be unnecessarily sentimental. Nigerians don’t take to the streets to protest, why not? As an elite myself, I do realise how friends and folk suddenly jump at matters that only concern their type/friends with pedigree. Certainly the issue here is govt policies being made transparent to all. Is there a publiclyly available site to confirm that an area is legal? Will our judicial system allow landlords/estate agents face due process for illegality that affects their tenants? Finally a go fund me account is a little silly. What we need to do is hold our govt accountable and ensure the above identified processes are in place, not “cover a dishevelled bed with a counterpane.” That being said, I really do sympathise with Nulijuice.

36. Okechukwu Ofili

September 2, 2016 at 10:11 am

If the structure was illegal, then why was money being asked for? Illegal is illegal right. Will money have suddenly made it legal?

Secondly, no warning was given to the tenants. That was clearly stated in the article, if you have proof the tenants got warned in advance do let us know.

PS: Warning the landlord is not the same as warning the tenants.

• Gina

September 2, 2016 at 12:41 pm

A structure might be illegal if proper permission was not taken to convert it. So the owner gets fined/jail time for it and has to pay for the structure to remain (i.e. go through the proper channel), if not the structure is removed.

The government has the responsibility to warn the OWNER of a Property and not the TENANT. That is the job of the Landlord. this is with the exception of general PUBLIC notice.

• NIRA

September 2, 2016 at 1:15 pm

The landlord should’ve warned the tenants. The Landlord should be sued.

• Ada do o

September 2, 2016 at 8:37 pm

Please, in whose name was the property registered – landlord’s or tenants’? Everybody is talking about how government has been insensitive. In those countries, where the government seems to be perfect, are there no laws or are there no consequences for breaking the law?

• Tunde

September 3, 2016 at 12:50 am

Oga, physical planning said they gave notice to testants as well, which they’re ready to show in court if the tenants choose to sue. Leave sentiments, it was the normal “nothing-dey-happen” attitude that made them disregard it. Tell your friend to sue the landlord, make the govt a defendant as well, just to prove govt served notice

• abiodun adetula

September 4, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Has the landlord or any of his representative claimed that money was being asked for? LASG said they demolished because of illegal structures and there was prior notification, with documentation. Why do we keep saying its because of unpaid fees?

37. Bimbo

September 2, 2016 at 10:40 am

James Bond, why all the cursing? Can’t we be civil in getting our points across? Why are you cursing like an agbero?

38. Tosin

September 2, 2016 at 10:48 am

Serious punishment awaits, whether through the law, or from above. No wahala.

Africa, this does not make any sense. I tried to comment yesterday but someone hid my comment (foul language) because my family was victim just a few months ago. Just imagine people just bringing down your property, just like that, as if there is no law. Lol.

39. Karma!

September 2, 2016 at 10:53 am

Forgive me for not sympathizing but Ada is reaping the law of karma for stealing someone’s business idea and turning it to hers. Ada knows what am talking about. You can’t cheat the less privileged and expect to go Scott free. If someone came to you to assist their business, support them and not steal their business idea because you have the capital and they don’t.

• slice

September 3, 2016 at 12:06 am

i think you are wrong. if she channels this properly, this may be the best thing that ever happened to her. who heard of Nuli before this and who has heard now? ADA go and package your juice for shoprite. not even sure why you need a store

• Different Shades of Nigerian

September 3, 2016 at 5:46 am

Ada stole an idea to run a fresh juice store? You must be dumb as ****. Fresh juice stores that full the whole US left right and center. What is new about a fresh juice store that another person has to steal the idea. Esp since Ada studied in the US. One day you will come and abuse someone for stealing your idea to run a restaurant. Ode oshi. I do not know Ada from anywhere but I am pained by this article and your comment just added salt to my anger

• Olagbaju

September 4, 2016 at 1:04 pm

Yes I do sympathize thinly with her.There is no short cut to life. She too had many times influenced decisions that cut some agro companies napping and crying for help with attendance economic damaged inflicted on them either directly or through proxy when serving as what ?I leave it for all to guess. The real issue is the legality of the site which is outside the development agenda of Lagos State Government.Thank God the officials are not corrupt and made her to face the reality early enough to curtail the loss .My advice is for her to plan in the way of righteousness and she wiould succeed far better than she would imagine.

40. mz_danielz

September 2, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Errrm, Okechukwu Ofili, what type of subtle PR for nuli is this now?

Your title is so melodramatic, lots of people have been rendered poor since APC started ruling Lagos state and there has been no outcry. The government has burnt shops overnight with millions of goods in it and we applauded the government for cleaning up Lagos and turning it to a Mega city and these scenarios would have warranted such a title but uncle Oke, you didn’t write an epistle.

I have to agree with commenters that have said this blog is elitist.

You are a writer I respect and I understand that this being close to home might make it personal for you but it will do us good as Nigerians to speak up for all socio-economic classes and please peeps a go fund me for Nuli (*rolls eyes*) I admire the generosity is all I’ll say.

• Idomagirl

September 2, 2016 at 12:57 pm

You why didn’t you write an epistle for those whose shops were burnt overnight?

Nigerians kill me.

We sit around and grumble about our system, when someone tries to speak up like Ofili is doing here we hit them with “oh it’s now you want to talk because so and so is your friend, what about what has been happening”.

No one stopped you or any of those complaining on this thread from speaking for the “poor” traders whose shops have been demolished.
      Speak up for them the way Ofili is speaking for Nuli, no one is holding you.

And no the title isn’t melodramatic, Nigeria kills her entrepreneurs. If you’ve tried to do business in Nigeria you’d know.

• Mz_danielz

September 3, 2016 at 9:06 am

Bia nwanyi Idoma Biko, don’t die oh. Nigerians kill you kwa.

You know I haven’t written anything because mz_danielz is the name my father gave me abi?

The title is melodramatic cos from reading it, you would expect an article that advocates for entrepreneurs who have lost their stores, who can’t get access to loans at good interest rates but no, this was just a case for his friend and he should have been bold enough to title his article ‘a case for nuli’ or ‘fighting for null’.

Hypocrisy is worse than doing nothing.

41. cinderella

September 2, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Do I feel bad fo nuli?yes I do, but this should send a message across to every other person if you have a business in an illegal space. Start talking to ur landlord start doing the right things don’t take anything for granted.

42. m

September 2, 2016 at 12:56 pm

I have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH to say, a few of you have said some of it, but all I can say is we are BLOODY HYPOCRITES. A special breed.

• Icrossmyhear

September 2, 2016 at 6:22 pm

Very special breed. Nigerians take the cakes. Both the awon elites and the awon poor. All of them join. Including me sef.

Ada, I sympathise with you. I do hope your friends channel this energy towards challenging the government on behalf of the poor. I am sure the high-powered people you know can do something. But you know very well that the awon rich people in Nigeria enjoy the mess that is Nigeria. They are profiting from it. If Nigeria changes middle class will emerge further shrinking the top few. So……. Ya know yourselves.

The one thing I have come to appreciate about Nigeria is that EVERYONE SUFFERS. Rich people suffer with their big jeeps on bad roads, some die sef. And when they are too sick to fly to Germany, well the hospital they refused to invest in will be the ones to look for cure, EVERYONE IS A PART OF THIS CESSPIT.

I love Nigeria jare. Nigeria is not finished. She is just beginning.

43. Chinelo

September 2, 2016 at 1:33 pm

If we step away from all the emotion for a second and ask: would her business be in this position if prior to paying for the lease, she actually hired a good lawyer who did due diligence on the landlord and found out the he/she didn’t have the required approvals/permits? We’d save ourselves a lot of pain and anguish if we take time to do things properly, in a sustainable manner. Sorry for her loss all the same.

44. Esthern

September 2, 2016 at 5:38 pm

She has my sympathy n d others both low n premium shop owners…we ar all hustlers. If Nuli has enof money, she would definitely not be looking for more n I saw d shop pix, it’s not like Sheraton or any 3 star hang out. It could have been u , it could hav been me. I own a premium door shop that doesn’t make me up there I still leave in a rented apartment n has never janded for holidays. it just d choice of target market we ar all hoslers just like d Mkt shop owners. A lot went in a lot is expected she deserves our sympathy true.. Dear Ofili I salute ur comradeship that was totfull of u n pls ur idea is not foolish at all it d Nigerian spirit we ar looking for that shld be encouraged or built upon. Instead of her to go underground I would rather contribute even if it’s 1k, to see her back on her feet again .that 1k is not enof to eat in an eatery, but if 10,0000 pple sacrifice that 1k , for a viable biz with prospects it’s not a bad idea at all. Cos she may give back to d country wen she is fully on her feet again. I blv we need a community of helping hands like that. My heart goes to d landlords too we could be in their shoes n hope against hope it will just go away. Cos the rent must hav been paid n spent like opened spirit in this Buhari regime wc i blv we all know Wat I mean. It’s a loose loose situation for all. Ironically d government may have intended well cos there’s a road in PH called okporo road to its East West Road axis it was demolished n we were all wailing after demolition n expansion it made sense n even became more commercial haven for biz owners. If this was d case the government ment well. It may bite but it will not kill her. Am sure it’s a minor speed that she needs to jump towards her success.. Real entrepreneurs don’t die they may be taken down like a fruit cutdown from its tree but in d spirit of entrepreneurship the cut down fruit will soon discover a seed inside it. It may look useless n unprofitable but once that seed is buried just like we ar all sad now , it’s simply not d end of d seed neither it’s funeral given a little time and space look again it will sprout n spread n become it’s mighty tree giving out its fruits n serving as a shade for other n a pillar for others to lean on, eat it’s fruits n draw strength from. One last thing pls let’s learn to patronise made in Nigeria goods. What legacies ar we leaving for our children bikoninuo, if we don’t grow our own facilities n factories who will? LONGRICH, AMANITA ABI NA GICCI GO COME GROW AM. PLS LET’S BUY OUR GOODS PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. PLS FOR S SAKE OF OUR CHILDREN N THEIRS. OF WAT USE IS A RAVAGED NATION TO THEM? LETS THINK ABOUT THIS

45. me again

September 2, 2016 at 6:43 pm

even if the landlord owe the state govt tax, there is a better way of going about it, we have heard of people who owe tax in the US……are their properties destroyed, the Lagos state govt should pay her damages……this is another form of corruption (the senseless use of power and lack of ideas and best world practices )……the LIRS….am very sure the bosses there go on retreat to other climes and study how they collect and recover their taxes……..i have admired the current Lagos state govt from afar and this is the worst form of governance.

46. editor

September 2, 2016 at 7:21 pm

everybody is talking about nuli – Please what were the other stores ripped down. There were a bunch of others abi? Lets also feel sorry for them publicly

47. My 2 kobo

September 2, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Abeg, let’s get the fact of the matter before we comment. The building was not pulled down because of non-payment of tax rather it was demolished because it was an illegal structure. I sympathize with Ada, the Emekas, the Adamus as well as the Iya Basiras who have no rich friends to bring their matter to social media. May God bless our hustle.

48. WeeFree

September 2, 2016 at 10:06 pm

Cool down people and if you reside in Lagos look at your area and confess if you are happy with shops springing up everywhere from Lekki to VI, to Ikoyi, to Surulere, to Yaba, to Oshodi.
    Are you happy when some ‘smart’ landlord builds on the road set back – that area normally left for people to walk between the road and the buildings and you have to walk on the road with cars zoming past inches from you? Are you happy when crazy landlords eliminate the space for drains and build shopping complexes? Are you happy when people park on major roads because landlords of the buildings around used up all space so their residents can’t park in their compounds leading to traffic everywhere? If you reside in an estate are you happy if your estate suddenly looks like Oshodi because unscrupulous landlords started cutting their fences to put shops facing the street?
    The owner of NULI Juice is an affluent and exposed person so she would be familiar with what Ikoyi looks like in the 80s and 90s, she would know her outlet was built by a landlord who grabbed a green area meant to be a set back, and if she knows then she would know it could end up going either way – the government may come and they may not come, but once she paid the landlord she knows the risk she was taking.

• slice

September 3, 2016 at 12:10 am

this your blame game is too far off. she’s supposed to somehow magically know and remember what the place looked like. Does Lagos not require a license to start a business? If they did, looking into things like this for the business owner, should be part of the process. Do they not have people go in and check a building before you use it.

• WeeFree

September 3, 2016 at 2:06 am

Lagos doesn’t need a license before you start a business, the CAC that registers companies does not limit your registration to any part of Nigeria, neither do they check your business premises before registering you.
      If you endeavor to confirm that the person you are paying is the actual owner or the true rep. of the owner of the property you are renting then it shouldn’t be difficult to also consider if that property is in a reasonable location. If you think it’s too much to ask then you migth as well go ahead and rent a property built on any of the Lekki roundabout or at the foot of the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge.

49. Michael Ibiorika

September 3, 2016 at 8:12 am

Sad.

50. Karma! Karma!!

September 3, 2016 at 9:16 am

WHY IS IT ONLY NULI MAKING NOISE??? – that’s what they do. The owner of NULI is trying to deceive everyone. It is true Ada STOLE the idea from a young man who she was meant to be supporting and guiding, instead she steals his idea because she has the financial muscle. That’s Karma! Secondly, the notice was in fact given to BOTH TENANT AND LANDLORD. I worked with Ada before and she didn’t do her due diligence before getting this store. She was bitter when the people she stole the idea from our their own shop.

As this is sad, we should stop blaming the government. We need enforcement in Nigeria. People are saying the government should have done this and that but they did the right thing, it’s an ILLEGAL structure. ADA is a liar and trying to deceive everyone.

51. StopSelect

September 3, 2016 at 9:45 am

BellaNaija is favoring Ada but not putting out all the comments. they are selecting only the good comments mostly and not negative. Stop deceive your reader by selecting mostly good comments.

52. ola

September 3, 2016 at 2:00 pm

God bless u @Oprah

53. Chy

September 4, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Our own government are so quick to destroy and ever slow to rebuild that is if they ever will rebuild or establish new businesses! So disheartening.

54. Franklin