News

I Put More Than £30,000 into Dream Team For #Rio2016 – Mikel Obi | WATCH

Mikel Obi

Mikel Obi

Super Eagles’ Captain, John Mikel Obi has disclosed that he put his own money to cater for the Dream Team VI in the just concluded Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

He made this known in an interview with Goal.com recently.

“I think if we talk about the money that I put into the team I think it was more than (£30,000). But we just had to do it.

I came to the camp. I sat down with the boys in Atlanta and I could see the frustration, the pain and the anger. Their aim was to play in the Olympics, their goal was to play in the Olympics.

And for me being there and seeing what they are going through, they are young boys, they want to start their career and someone in the ministry is trying to crush that dream.

I said to myself, ‘I won’t let this happen. If I can help, I’ll try to help’. Sometimes there was no food, sometimes there was no pitch to train on, there was no bus to go to the training ground. So all of this was what me and the coach had to figure out, and get money together,” he said.

Watch here:

Speaking on what happened on the day the team left Atlanta for Brazil, he said:

There was just no flight provided by the Nigerian ministry. We planned to leave three or four days before the tournament, but we ended up leaving the day of our first game. It was a difficult one. I don’t think I have ever seen something like that before, it was crazy.

We got to the hotel, dropped our bags, grabbed some sandwiches, something to eat. A little bit of food. Then headed straight back to the stadium because we hadn’t even done our accreditation then, so we had to go there and wait in the line, do our accreditation.

It was absolutely hectic. I don’t know how we managed to go onto the pitch and win that game, it was absolutely mind blowing.

Read the Full Interview HERE.

1. Ethio

September 11, 2016 at 2:24 pm

we’re waiting for the sports ministry to reply him with an obvious denial and afterwards axe him out of the National team.. #saibuhari

2. To whom much is given......

September 11, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Nigeria paid your bills to stardom,from under 17, in finland to under 21 in Holland and various exposures that helped you get a good job abroad,Welldone for giving a little back,let us always think of what we can do for our country.

• "changing moniker"

September 11, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Abeg, park well…where is it heard of that a player spends his own money on the national team?? You’re here speaking English. Have you fed anyone around you today?

• The Bull

September 11, 2016 at 10:54 pm

And the same Nigeria failed millions of others like him, because he is an exception does not make this acceptable. He should not be doing this when we have a sports ministry. Let us stop making excuses for mediocrity please!

• anonymous

September 11, 2016 at 11:44 pm

you are SO entitled, gosh

• inflow

September 12, 2016 at 2:03 am

pls kind shut up… and i mean that literally….naija must always have excuse for everytin.. reason why the country is in shambles…

• Jaygirl

September 12, 2016 at 5:54 am

To whom much is given blablabla……oh please zip it. People like you who keep accepting the less than sub-standard leadership skills of our leaders only help drown us even more. This silly school of thought that ‘at all at all na nwinch’ must stop. We must speak up when the government fails us and not accept to ‘manage’.
      Mikel has every right to call out the government and as for the person calling him onye iberibe….I won’t even grant u that one second of fame you are desperate to acheive maka i bu Itiboribo! (This blog never used to have shallow minded opinions, these days they are everywhere).

3. Ada Nnewi

September 11, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Mikel nwoke oma! Chukwu gozie gi!

4. Beard gang

September 11, 2016 at 3:27 pm

i always thought this mikel guy had his head cocky; today i’m happily a fan. you did excellently mikel, you motivated the team and victory was attained. you truly are a champion, God bless you.

5. Prec

September 11, 2016 at 4:02 pm

I’m confused, for how serious we take football, why isn’t there a stronger push for the minister of sports to resign, I’m I missing something?

• EC

September 11, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Who has the push for resignation helped? Buhari put him there clearly not qualified and he will not go. Talk about corrupt government

• Marlvina

September 11, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Because they’re all there to share the money! selfish and greedy humans! Sighs. Their day of reckoning shall come.

6. Pink

September 11, 2016 at 4:11 pm

My dear @Prec the only thing you are missing is that he was appointed by Buharia, a part of that efficient cabinet that took forever to choose, yes that one… My country my country…

7. It is wa

September 11, 2016 at 4:15 pm

We are waiting for a “robust reply ” from the dishonourable minister of sports.What a shame! Mikel,may God replenish your purse and move you to greater heights.

8. Alexandria

September 11, 2016 at 4:16 pm

I know I’m in the minority here, but I just have to say this. Although I expect a level of support for our athletes from the government, I don’t expect them to shoulder all the costs, especially with the present economic situation in the country. For crying out loud, what are the corporate social responsibilities of companies in Nigeria?( I mean what do Nigerians stand to gain from all these companies that make their money here?) Are you trying to tell me that airlines such as Arik cannot fly our athletes to Rio? Or designers such as Mai Atafo cannot clothe our Olympic team? The American olympic team were dressed from neck to toe in Ralph Lauren. Mind you, the Olympic opening ceremony is watched by over 1 billion people around the world, our designers just don’t know how to market themselves. I remember watching Miss world last year and heard that Zuhair Murad had lent Miss Lebanon some clothes, meanwhile our Miss Nigeria was wearing the cheapest looking dress by the original copycat designer, Rikaotobyme. The dress didn’t even reach the floor, I could see her shoes! You mean Deola Sagoe and her likes can’t lend clothes to girls that are representing us internationally? I know we have very irresponsible leaders but we the citizens and corporate bodies in Nigeria should take up some of these responsibilities. Rant over!

• Anon

September 11, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Good point about Arik. Just that the Sports Ministry would not have paid.

Ralph Lauren is a brand.
      Stella McCartney for Team GB is a brand.
      Lacoste for the French team is a brand.
      Zuhair Murad is Lebanese and he helped his country lady. Zuhair Murad is a brand and that’s why you noticed.
      International brands.

Who is the best designer in Nigeria? Whoever it is, a lot of people may not have noticed. We would have noticed, asked questions, found out their overpriced tags and then moved on. By the way, can they design sportswear? Who designed the Nigerian sportswear they wore? Nike!

• Alexandria

September 11, 2016 at 5:39 pm

I don’t think you get my point at all. I remember reading during Stephanie Okereke’s wedding that Arik transported her guests to the venue FREE OF CHARGE, because she was their ambassador. Like i said, what do we get back from companies that make their money in Nigeria? What do we Nigerians get from Arik for patronizing them? Everything is not about money sometimes. And yes, those brands you mentioned are big brands but they also started somewhere. I don’t know how much you followed this year’s Olympics opening ceremony, I read numerous international blogs on what each national team wore. Believe it or not, some of those bloggers even commended some of the costumes of some countries that were made by “unknown designers” even more than the “brands”. Who knew of Frank Oshodi before he designed Agbani’s winning Miss World dress? Mind you, there was no social media then, think of the spotlight he would have been in, had it been now. I don’t expect Nigerian designers to design sportswear, there are companies that specialize in that, I’m talking about the opening ceremony outfits, just like the one Ralph Lauren designed for the American Olympic team. Most countries’ Olympic team have sponsors, the government pays for little or NOTHING. The question we all should be asking here is why don’t we have sponsors for our team?

• "changing moniker"

September 11, 2016 at 9:18 pm

@Anon I don’t think you get her point. Please read again.
      @alexandria fair points, well made.

• Anon

September 11, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Arik transported her guests to the venue FREE OF CHARGE, FALSE!

• nene

September 11, 2016 at 6:26 pm

i agree with you.

• Idomagirl

September 12, 2016 at 12:13 am

Thank God Arik didn’t offer to fly them there cos they’d have arrived after the Olympics.
      Yeye airline.

9. Anon

September 11, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Does anyone remember stumbling and fumbling to the end/final? Fanny Amun!

10. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

September 11, 2016 at 5:22 pm

All these would have made more sense if we won GOLD!!! Keep your Epp to your sef. Onye iberibe

• Ada Nnewi

September 11, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Your brain is apparently on some kind of holiday….

• Marlvina

September 11, 2016 at 6:16 pm

That’s not a nice thing to say. Won gold?? so Uncle Gwe Gwe Gwe, you’re saying their bronze medal means nothing to the country right? After all the humiliation they went through by the so-called Sports ministry? You see that’s the problem with Nigerians and that’s why we are still a backward Nation, Nigerians lack the character of appreciation and showing gratitude towards one another. If you can’t motivate, support and appreciate each other, then how do we forge ahead? How do we feel the love and encourage ourselves to do much better next time? How do these Nationals represent you next time with hopes of achieving higher positions? When clearly you see them as weaklings, because they fell below your expectation. Look how these other nations received their athletes, parading and rewarding them including the “bronze” medalists. Nigerians like Uncle Gwe Gwe Gwe clearly need help.

• But why are you here?

September 11, 2016 at 8:18 pm

BN, can you guys pls send him back to the other blog. I thought there was some sort of quality control on this blog. I mean I’ve had many a comment blocked not half as retarded as this neanderthal’s statements. We really don’t need these lobotomised plebs bringing the tone of this blog into the gutter.

• anonymous

September 11, 2016 at 11:47 pm

lobotomised pleb? Damn isn’t that unnecessarily harsh?

• Tilta

September 11, 2016 at 9:07 pm

Seriously are you ok? Or you’re just trolling?..Your comment is a senseless one for sure.

• chekwube

September 12, 2016 at 8:47 pm

Who exactly is this uncle whatever? Your comments on BN are really pathetic and disgusting

11. UNCLE GWE GWE GWE

September 13, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Keep hating me???. Am having fun with your comments?