News

Woman Withdraws Her Son from School in Abia to Beg for Alms in Lagos | She Says Begging is Lucrative

Changorom Uwenke and her sonA 40-year-old mother of 6 has been arrested by officers of the Lagos State Environmental and Special Offences Unit Task Force for using her 11-year-old son to beg, Vanguard reports.

The suspect, Chinagoro Uwenke, was arrested in the Oshodi area of Lagos state, where she was begging for alms. Uwenke made passersby believe that they were victims of a fire incident.

She normally wraps a bandage, stained with a liquid substance round her son’s leg, to make it look like pus from untreated burns.

She was arrested after the officers of the Task Force demanded to see the injury on the boy’s leg. When the bandages were removed, it was discovered that the child had no injury.

Vanguard reports that both mother and son were then arrested, adding that preliminary investigation showed that the suspect had been engaged in the alms-begging business for five years.

Uwenke, during interrogation said that she made between N3,500 and N5000 daily.

“I live at Oloko-Dana, Ijora-Olopa area, in Oyingbo. I am from Abia State. Yes, my son is hale and hearty, but I took to begging because it is lucrative. I make more money at Oshodi than any other area because of the number of people that pass by daily.

I withdrew my son from school back in Abia and brought him to Lagos five years ago to use him to beg for alms. That is what most people do. This is because people take pity on children. My five other children are with my husband in Ata town, Abia State.

What I do is to wrap his leg with bandage, after which I would pour GV and other liquid substance which will make it look as if it is an injury that refused to heal. I would then beg people to help me with money to take him to the hospital. Some will even give without me begging them.

But I am appealing to government not to take me to court. If I am left off the hook, I promise to go back to the village and join my family,” she said.

The arrest was confirmed by the Chairman of the Task Force, SP Olayinka Egbeyemi.

1. Asari Tokunbo

September 23, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Mrs. Freeloader….lazy bone! She’s one of the reasons why people who really need the help won’t get any.

2. Grace

September 23, 2016 at 2:12 pm

SMH

Begging lucrative? See how people place curse on their generation.

Most atimes i dont even look at them, i have learnt alot from this Lagos beggers. Just last week, i woke up late,couldnt drive decided to take a bus from Marina to Lekki, only for one damned begger who came through the window,opening his belly(i didnt even look at him)begging,talking of how he has an infection etc. I just closed the window as i dont want to listen to his lies. Do you know this man who is begging and asking for help told told me “am stupid”just because i closed the window and dont want to listen to his lies and walked away. SMH

3. Commentator

September 23, 2016 at 2:16 pm

@Grace,so because he is a beggar,its okay for you to assume he does not have feelings? If you slam your window at anyone,obviously the person would feel offended.Now,its your choice to listen or not,give or not but treat others how you would want others to treat.

At the matter at hand.A lot of these beggars are frauds ,however if you feel compelled to help them,then please do.If not,keep moving.

4. Marian

September 23, 2016 at 2:31 pm

If you are in a place to give, i still always recommend giving. Sure some people are not really in need and are frauds but there is no sure way to determine who is who so i always say give if you are in a position to.

Why bring 6 children into poverty? We need more family planning education. I feel bad for the innocent kids that have to pay for the ignorance of their parents.

5. Mahka

September 23, 2016 at 4:03 pm

The harsh realities of our world…
    Woe to whoever brings a child to this earth n denies him of basic amenities.
    I have learnt not to give away alms because of stuffs like this. These people are richer than me.
    They come out early with their whole body, cramp on the sidewalks some even wear good makeup n resort to beg for 20naira which they double up in exchange to poor keke drivers who get stranded because if change.
    Lagos state government needs to clean up these streets; imagine coming all the way from Abia to beg, someone must have shared a success story.

BN, I have a long rant to make but that lady on her tablet in a d beautiful jacket n wide smile is simply annoying…

6. Millie

September 23, 2016 at 4:29 pm

The beauty of giving whether the reciever is worthy of it or not is that there is a reward. I have been fooled severally too I remember one guy that used to go about with maternity pads begging for supposed hospital bills, I had heard his gist but something nudged me to give because it is more blessed to give than recieve but i’m guessing these “smart” beggars dont know that.

7. Marlvina

September 23, 2016 at 4:48 pm

In my case, I don’t give or lend money anyhow. I only give if I’m led in the spirit to. And before I give, I bless my hands. I make pronouncements on my money and ask God for blessings in return. Cus these days in Naija one must give with wisdom. I’ve heard several cases where people give and then they disappear, turn to a cripple or they begin having financial difficulties. One lady in Ph as she gave money to a man, she started convulsing. Sighs.

8. Spunky

September 23, 2016 at 7:55 pm

The hustle is real. Those who reside in Asaba should be familiar with a woman(she walks on her side with a hunch on her back)on Coker junction. This woman can hustle for Africa and the funny part is, she lodges her daily stipends with UBA every day. As per this lady in question…I don’t have words…

9. gbaskelebo

September 23, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Wahala ministry… her lucrative business needed expansion and her son became the branch manager in Oshodi, you know it is a family business, trust is important!

10. nnenne

September 24, 2016 at 1:13 am

Why arrest the woman
    Did she steal?
    Nigerian leaders and governance! !! !

11. Mabel

September 24, 2016 at 2:11 am

This is one of the reasons I stopped giving to beggars, too many scammers out there. I prefer to give to a charity at least there is a tax incentive, even though many charities are scams too and you are tasked with doing thorough research.

I remember this woman waking me up on the packed train when I was resting my eyes early in the morning, telling me to give her some money to buy food as she was hungry. Because I was startled and she was a black woman like me I gave her $10, but as she was leaving the train I realized she was plump and looked like she hadn’t missed any meals. I can’t say for sure if I was conned, but it felt like it?

12. tee

September 24, 2016 at 10:41 am

i got a job for someone here in london…but he rejected it becos he does peke …i was like i can someone be comfortable with beggin in clubs rather than working.