Features

Drop the Weight with Ej: When is the Best Time to Workout to Maximise Results

dreamstime_m_18347743Consistent exercise is a big part of a healthy lifestyle that supports lasting weight loss. But once you’ve made the commitment to exercise consistently, how do you know the best time to get the most fruit for your labor? There are some workout times that are more ideal than others, but in the grand scheme of things, your focus should be on the workout time that you can execute consistently.

Today though, I’ll answer the question of the best time to workout by laying out the pros of working out in the morning, afternoon, and evening. And then I’ll give you a simple experiment that you can conduct + a FREE workout to help you do it, so that you can discover the best time for you to achieve a consistent workout habit.

What’s so great about morning workouts?
The biggest benefit of working out in the morning is that you’ll get it out of the way before life interferes. If you don’t have any play in your schedule this is critical because when the unpredictable happens, you’ll know that you’ve already gotten your workout in.

Morning is also the best time if you want to harness the power of your fat loss hormones. These hormones are usually at their peak in your fasted state when you wake up, and working out this early can help you use your body’s full fat loss potential.

Then there’s the fact that working out is a natural mood booster, and it can replace your usual morning cup of coffee if that’s a habit you’re trying to kick. And it can help you feel much better about a day that’s not looking to be so good, or a day that you dread (it’s a great fix for the Mondays for my fellow 8 to 5 warriors).

What’s so great about afternoon workouts?
Afternoon workouts are awesome because they are all about focus. When you’re working out in the afternoon, there’s usually a time crunch (think lunch break or your kid’s nap time if you work at home full time with the kiddos). There’s less time spent dilly dallying and more time getting to the business of working out.

There’s also the fact that your muscles have already been moving significantly through the day so you don’t have to spend as much time warming up to prevent injuries. Of course, if you’re doing complex motions that aren’t even close to your regular everyday activities of standing up, sitting down, or walking, then you’ll want to do simpler versions of these complex motions to help your body get warmed up.

What’s so great about evening workouts?
Evening workouts are the hardest to pull off because you’ll need willpower to drag yourself away from the call of other commitments. But if you’re able to pull yourself away, evening time is the best time to workout for performance.

By late in the day, your body is fueled and ready to go. Your mind on the other hand might have some trouble keeping up if you have a mentally demanding job like handling complex spreadsheets or trying to calm a screaming toddler All day. But, this is nothing that an awesome workout playlist can’t fix.

It’s time to take action…
Now that you have a high level overview of the benefits of working out at specific times of the day, it’s your turn to run a little experiment to find the right time of day that works for you.

As I mentioned earlier, what’s important with using exercise to get results is consistency. So even if the morning is the best time to workout for fat loss results, you won’t get those results if you can’t realistically workout in the morning regularly right?

To help you run this experiment, you can use a simple 12 minute workout called the 12 minute Full Body Blast. It’s what we call small but mighty.You can use it to test each time of the day.

To run this experiment, select the best time that sounds great for you and your schedule and spend the next seven days doing this 12 minute workout at that time every-other-day. This will help you see how working out at that time makes you feel.

If you find that it doesn’t work for you, then you’ll just pick another time and test it out the next 7 days. The 12 minute workout makes it super easy to do this because it’s a short enough time that you can fit it into your schedule. Plus you’ll be getting into the habit of doing short intense workouts, which are one of the best workouts for fat loss but that’s a strategy for another day.

In the meantime, download your free 12 minute Full Body Blast workout and start experimenting.

Photo Credit: Diego Vito Cervo | Dreamstime.com

EJ (Ejiro) is a writer/engineer/mom. She writes about healthy living to help busy professional women lose weight, keep it off—and actually feel amazing.She created a Registered Trademarked System (VAFs®) for healthy eating for weight loss and wrote the book Weight Loss for High Achievers to help busy women lose weight and let go of the idea that the only way to succeed is to diet for the rest of their lives.With EJ's methods, dieting isn't required and neither is spending hours in the gym for meager results.P.S. If you want to get the goal-crushing motivation to reach your weight loss goal, then you'll want to get the first chapter of EJ's book for FREE. Click here to get it now.

1. Natalia

October 26, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Thank you so much!!

• EJ Ogenyi

November 13, 2016 at 6:46 pm

You’re welcome Natalia!

2. mimsssssssssss

October 26, 2016 at 3:24 pm

love this cos I have my workout time 8pm I am up with my skipping rope I skip 1k, 5 times a week and jug on the spot 100.please one question what do I do to get a really flat tommy? I don’t eat late to start with and I control my meal.

• Elvis

October 26, 2016 at 6:37 pm

When it comes to weightloss, you can’t actually pick a part of your body to lose weight in more than other parts, rather the weightloss happens uniformly around the body including the stomach.

So just continue your skipping, skipping is a great exercise for weightloss and since you said you control your meal portion, then you are on course, just continue and watch the weight goes off in all parts of your body including your tommy.

• EJ Ogenyi

November 13, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Hello Mims…..

Great comment. I’m glad you love your 8 pm workouts. It sounds like you might want to ramp up the intensity of your workouts. Jogging on the spot and skipping rope are great, but your body is a very adaptable machine.

So your next question would be, what can you do to change things up to give your body the next level challenge?

That’s what will help you burn more calories and get the results you want.

3. MD-babe

October 26, 2016 at 7:54 pm

In the morning on an empty stomach

• EJ Ogenyi

November 13, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Hey MD-babe,

Thank you for sharing your workout time of choice!!! Keep on with the great work!

EJ

4. The real D

October 26, 2016 at 9:32 pm

I recently amped up my work out game I shot for 5-6 days a week with 2-3 hrs of work out. 60 min cardio, 60 min weight lifting and every other day i add another 60 mins of swimming ( swimming helps with muscle aches). I quickly realized early morning was what worked for me with this schedule and I HAVE TO EAT 30 mins before going to work out. The first time i tried this intense work out on an empty stomach, this “geh” almost passed out. I have always done evening in the past but with this if i don’t get it done in the morning when i still the “ginger” in me, it would not work.
    @ Mimsssssss, I am also trying to lose my “Michelin” style stomach but yea like Elvis said, we unfortunately cannot target an area with weight loss but i have added abs exercises to my everyday regime to help tighten those muscles. I have also become more green with my diet, i have always been good with portion control and eating ( being lactose and gluten intolerant) helps me eat clean but i have become more conscious of what i eat at what time of the day. i.e I try to avoid carbs for dinner now. I have not seen results yet but i only started this rigorous regimen two weeks ago.

• nene

October 27, 2016 at 11:19 am

You must be a size zero with all these efforts.

• EJ Ogenyi

November 13, 2016 at 6:54 pm

The real D,

Great work being committed. If you’re still not seeing results in your tummy after a while, look at your stress levels. Stubborn tummy fat will hang around if you’re under a lot of stress.

This is because high stress causes your body to secrete cortisol (stress hormone). And cortisol causes you to crave more sugar and carbs AND it causes your body to hang on to the tummy fat that you’re trying so hard to lose.

Honestly 2 – 3 hours a day of workouts for 5 – 6 days a week sounds like a lot of stress if you’re still going to work or doing other things like going to work or taking care of your family or getting high quality sleep within the rest of the 21 hours you have left.

The ladies in my programs max out at 40 minutes a session and go for 3 or more sessions depending on what they’re after, and they do get results.

But if it’s working for you and you’re not feeling overly stressed to the point that it’s counter-productive, then keep on.

Have a great day!