BN TV

Using Oats as an Alternative to Cocoyam for Thickening Soups! WATCH Flo Madubike’s Tutorial

It’s always a challenge to find alternative ingredients for Nigerian cooking outside Nigeria and Flo of All Nigerian Recipes has a great alternative to cocoyam as thickener in Nigerian Soups.

The answer – Oats!

Watch Flo’s recipe here:

Flo Madubike has undiluted Nigerian taste buds. Her hobby is making sure that our classic Nigerian foods do not go extinct. She shares authentic, traditional Nigerian recipes just like grandmas make them, on allnigerianrecipes.com.

1. nnenne

October 1, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Nothing new!!

2. Luu

October 1, 2016 at 4:23 pm

This is so wrong.
    Please decolonize our foods. Don’t bring colonial perspective into food.
    Nothing wrong with encouraging people to find native alternatives to cocoyam – whatever happened to other native thickeners?
    Why on earth is it Quaker oats, that is not even made in Nigeria?
    Asides fiber what nutrients so you have in oats, compared to what you have in cocoyam! Cocoyam has magnesium and other vitamins and minerals.
    I am said please, we keep saying Non-communicable diseases are increasing and people that want to provide shortcut are all linking people to unhealthy alternatives to our healthy traditional foods.

I might sound unreasonable, but it saddens me when we do not care about how our foods are almost becoming etxinct and then we complain of diabetes, kidney failure, high cholesterol etc

• nnenne

October 2, 2016 at 8:24 pm

@Luu… people who live outside Nigeria have been using oats as thickness for a long time. Because they don’t have access to our traditional thickners. Even using ground rice Farina , ground Oats and wheat in place of garri.
      If you live in Nigeria use any traditional thickner around you If you wish

3. Anon

October 1, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Good old “achi” as thickener and then finely blended oats in place of eba.

4. USA chic

October 2, 2016 at 1:43 am

Luu na wa for you oh. Oats just as healthy as cocoyams if not more. I’ll always prefer cocyam As thickener though but good to know possible alternatives for us who live in states where there are no African stores. Im all for reinventing our recipes and trying new tastes. Calm down, ain’t none of our foods becoming extinct, we are too hungry for that. But the world is on the go and we need to grow out of native roots, whatever that means. And most global chefs and restaurants started by trying out different recipes. By now Suya or Eju should be as popular as Sushi worldwide if we package And export our tastes like the Asians. We fail I’m technology, must we fail in food too? And your argument about good being possible causes of diseases is in bad taste for this post. I’m all for specifics: data and facts, not scientific speculations.

5. Jamce

October 2, 2016 at 3:28 am

@Luu, God bless you. These over brainwashed “kolo mentality” always seeking to glorify all things foreign to the socio-economic detriment of Nigeria. See why Nigeria will continue to be underdeveloped and recession proned?

6. word

October 2, 2016 at 7:48 am

What if this video comes in handy on a day that a person who lives abroad cannot reach cocoyam or achi or runs out of them? U guys should calm down cos she hasn’t asked u to throw cocoyam away.

7. Fabulicious

October 2, 2016 at 8:00 am

Good for bringing this up again Flo even though this is not new..Infact i grew up seeing my mum and aunts use oats because not everybody is into that cocoa yam business. Better believe it,the soup tastes just the same.

• DatEnuguChic

October 4, 2016 at 9:21 am

No it doesn’t taste the same

8. mummybobo

October 2, 2016 at 11:44 am

Mbanu. My cocoyam/achi, or nothing

9. Amaa

October 3, 2016 at 2:24 am

Lol ? this reminds me of the jollof saga Naija people are not sensitive to a lot things but stay away from the food politics or else you gon get burned lol. On a serious note ? this is an alternative and I am so proud of floo for doing this .
    Thank you ?

10. Beyonce

October 3, 2016 at 9:05 am

This is totally rubbish, I live in Texas and I can’t use oat meal as a thickner, I always use cocoyam. I buy it from Asian grocery store and HEB (American grocery store) cocoyam is very rich in a lot of minerals and it is also an alkaline food which is a relief because most of these processed foods are too acidic which is not good for the body. Nutritionists are encouraging people to eat it, they call it taro, they even have taro flavor in yogourts. Please I advice that we eat natural, if we have access to them and minimize overprocessed western foods.

11. josephina

October 3, 2016 at 2:02 pm

can someone educate me on why egusi soup need thickener? sorry for the lack of knowledge. in Cameroon we don’t usually thicken any soup…from okra soup to egusi soup. why do u need a thickener when you have all the meats, fish, and egusi?…help this mumu out…

@beyonce…I have eaten the Filipino purple taro icecream…and jelly too..it is heaven