BN TV

WATCH Former Anambra Governor, Peter Obi’s Speech that Got People Talking on Twitter

Peter ObiA former governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi, has said that cutting the cost of governance will bring development to Nigeria.

Speaking on the topic, “Cutting cost in governance,” Obi said: “Government house is not a restaurant, I told my cook to cook for only one person.”

Obi spoke at The Platform, an annual event on leadership, business, creativity and national empowerment. Obi said he saved over N75b for Anambra state before he exited office.

The former governor also advised governors to scrap the Office of the First Lady which he said gulps N2 billion monthly.

“It costs an average of N2 billion to run the office of the First Lady in every state in Nigeria. Multiply by 36. Nigeria can still function on its income if only we learn how to cut cost. We need to cut the cost of governance. No governor needs a house in Abuja; governors don’t live in Abuja,” Obi said.

Obi blamed the over-bloated spending habit of most governors as the cause of poverty in Nigeria. He also said that religious leaders should stop celebrating corrupt politicians especially when they know the person has no viable source of income.

Here are some reactions from Twitter NG following Obi’s speech:

Watch his speech below:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

1. Wawu ??

October 2, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Wow. So Nigeria has people like this? Incredible. Unbelievable.

• TeeCee

October 3, 2016 at 10:29 am

Peter Obi for President! ?

• fleur

October 3, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Oya, Rochas try to eliminate him since he is clearly engaged in anomalous behavior. no need for people to be hearing this kind of possibility in a country wrecked by impossible stealing.

• fleur

October 3, 2016 at 8:15 pm

“poverty mapping!!!” Wow Anambrarians – please call me. I want to work with people who want to do something! I will contribute for free!

• Anonymous

October 3, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Na wa o, see propaganda na. Nigeria is a great country where posterity is always kind even to false people if not I see no reason why Peter Obi should suddenly have an opinion. He has absolutely nothing to show for the year he spent in office rather Anambra fell into ruins during his regime. Ngige was a better governor, Willie who has been in office for such a short time has achieved far and beyond what this joker ever dreamt of. Oshicsco

• Eka Emem

October 4, 2016 at 2:04 am

You, my friend, are a damn, good liar!!! *:’

• Luu

October 4, 2016 at 7:31 am

Yes dear people like this exist. This is what people expected Buhari to do before his administration was hijacked by his uncle and cohorts. If PMB can successfully do it for the executive, then there would be moral grounds for asking the HoA to do so.

The amazing thing is the amount things Peter Obi could do with the saved money. All secondary schools now have a bus in Anambra state. This is a state that closed Sec schools for 2 years during Mbadinuju’s time. The honour and respect school principals get now, cant be overemphasized. I wish it would extend to primary school headmasters/mistresses. And all supplied from Innoson. Creating local jobs.

I am not really happy he left all that money to be squandered by the next governor though. I would have preferred he built more infrastructure with half of it. It would have benefited us more.

This also brings me to principle of strong man vs strong institutions. Strong men (strong being an operative word) should build institutions that will last after they leave.

2. GY Online NG

October 2, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Hmmmm, intersting..

• Ekene

October 2, 2016 at 6:34 pm

He urged everyone to enter politics and stop being on the sideline

3. Spunky

October 2, 2016 at 2:53 pm

God bless you real good sir. It isn’t rocket science! Cut down on unnecessary cost…every one naira saved counts for something. They are obliged to enjoy the perks that’s comes with occupying exalted positions. However, prudence should be the imbibed.

• Spunky

October 2, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Biko, excuse the plenty gbagaun.

4. Lacey

October 2, 2016 at 3:38 pm

This is what you call leadership! We will borrow and spend out of recession! Where are you pumping the money into! I am so ashamed of myself right now that I supported illiterate Buhari!Peter Obi should be Nigeria’s next President ! This man has just made my day, I am so elated today!

• ceetoo

October 2, 2016 at 6:37 pm

You just made my comment every one word of it. I am ashamed of myself and so is my husband . I fought all my siblings 7 of them because of Buhari, including my Mum. (I am the last child ) they shook their head at me as if “ah… you are but a child”. I see clearly now.

5. Anon Today

October 2, 2016 at 4:20 pm

The difference between proven integrity and ‘change-infested’, media-coated, wash wash integrity.
    Peter Obi is still one of the wealthiest Nigerians around. Still flies economy class.
    He isn’t perfect. But if such a leader tells you to adjust, you’ll see that the change began with him a long time ago.
    Okwute!

6. mr x

October 2, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Damn!. I am inspired. There are still good men in Nigeria.

7. Asa

October 2, 2016 at 5:36 pm

i just love this man for his simplicity, i remember during his days in office people call him stingy man but am seeing the dividend now, Anambra State has the highest road network in Nigeria and my Village as small as it is got 8km, Peter Obi is a gift to Ndi Anambra and Nigeria in general

8. Stanley Ezeabasirim

October 2, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Nice and on point.

9. igodomigo suleman

October 2, 2016 at 6:16 pm

“AM NOT AGAINST OF BORROWING IN TIME OF RECESSION BUT WHEN U BORROW WHERE DO U PUMP THE MONEY INTO, IS INTO PRODUCTION OR CONSUMPTION THAT KEPT US WERE WE ARE TODAY? “THE ABUSE U HELP THEM TO today WILL HAVE A REVENGE ON ALL OF US TOMORROW” -by Peter Obi. THE BIG QUESTIONS IS CAN OUR LEADERS HUMBLY ADJUST, AVOID EXTRAVAGANT LIFE STYLES AND ADOPT ‘OBIONOMICS’ FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS COUNTRY. BUT CAN A LEOPARD CHANGE HIS SKIN? ONCE A ROGUE ALWAYS A ROGUE.

10. Ebere

October 2, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This is the kind of words that Nigerians need to hear because corruption has eaten deep into our country. Corruption in Nigeria is like cancer that has already metastasize, so we have to kill the cancer from it’s root. Change begins with all of us. I’m inspired…

11. Tosin

October 2, 2016 at 6:23 pm

I’m calculating 2billion naira, chai, office of gini, doing what, and won’t it be better to just invest it…then I remembered that 2billion is becoming “wastepaper”, just a year ago it would have bought you like 10million dollars and 12 million a year before that, now it’s more like 4million.
    Kwantinu.

12. ogeAdiro

October 2, 2016 at 6:34 pm

But the problem is that we’re not raised to question those in authority. We’re raised to question the length of a girl’s skirt and the size of a man’s pocket.
    Based on this appearance, I’ll vote for you if you run in 2019.

13. Agu

October 2, 2016 at 7:14 pm

Peter Obi was an amazing Governor and i am happy that the current governor is following his foot step. i wish all governors in nigeria was like him.

14. nnenne

October 2, 2016 at 8:13 pm

I have always maintained that the way forward is to put the right people in office and have citizens that are selfless
    With those any country would survive, oil or no oil

15. Anthony

October 2, 2016 at 9:05 pm

I am highly inspired. Very simple solutions. This guy is indeed wonderful. Cut down on the cost of running government. But will they listen?

16. Tincan

October 2, 2016 at 9:26 pm

I cannot believe the monumental wastage that goes on at the state level! What then is it like at Federal level? This was very inspiring. More of his kind, Lord.

17. lifeisbeautiful

October 2, 2016 at 11:16 pm

Easy for him to say and do as he is naturally disciplined and frugal, he applied his inborn talents to manage a state budget and did well. Now I can’t say the same thing for the rest of those greedy and selfish leaders….oops scratch that politicians in office.

• lifeisbeautiful

October 2, 2016 at 11:17 pm

Replace *frugal* with prudent (much nicer word) 🙂

• Kaka

October 3, 2016 at 9:13 pm

I love frugal. I am frugal. I am an Ijebu girl.

18. maduewesi collins GCFR

October 2, 2016 at 11:39 pm

I have always revered this man right from the very time he got into office. Even when he graced an event where I was on 31st december 2015 in nneokwa anambra state, he didnt blow sirene for one minute and you can barely know the convoy he came with. No noise. This is accountability. Which governor can come out and beat his chest to tell us he did dis and that and not “he will do”??? He was hated then and a plan to impeach was on the rise because of his management skills. He has too much money and was wealthy so he wasn’t moved by what he met in government’s purse but a zeal to lead the people out of their dystopia and catapult them to a realm or achievable goals. God bless this man worthy of being nigeria’s next president. Whenever he speaks,he is well profunded with indexes, facts and figures as you can hear him calculate on exact ranges from his head in billions as he was a former Fidelity bank high chief.
    One thing is certain— we have been balkanized by the forces of economic disequillibrium and corruption by men who parade themselves as leaders while they are killers. GOD bless nigeria @56 maduewesi collins ejike!!!!!?

19. true nigerian

October 2, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Abi kd and co- i hope youre seeing this?

20. emeka

October 3, 2016 at 12:32 am

Are we selling Nigeria’s capital assets to feed the never satisfied rulership class who are reeping off the people they are supposed to be serving by perpetuating themselfs in government,this systemic corruption at d federal levelwhere cost of running government or recurrent expenditure far outweighs capital expenditure by enshrining all n sundry fictitious cost into d constitution by wages due senators, and other executives is criminal causing economic woes to the nation Nigeria,raping the citizenry.

21. gorec

October 3, 2016 at 3:19 am

One of the most inspiring messages I have ever listened to. Leadership is not a rocket science but I keep asking why Nigerians always elect morons as their leaders??????

22. okolie paul

October 3, 2016 at 7:01 am

Peter obi has all it takes to lead Nigeria and should be given opportunity to do so. Late shehu musa yaradua did well also and I strongly believe these men has Nigeria at heart. It’s time for us to put aside ethinic and party affiliation politics so as to move Nigeria foward. Who the cap fits let him wear it period. Okwute for aso rock 2019

23. Grace

October 3, 2016 at 10:20 am

My Yoruba friends, this is why the Igbos didn’t support GMB, we are not a propaganda tribe, we are shrewd biz pple (legal and illegal). This is why despite all the work Obi did, he didn’t get half of the propaganda Fashola got. Obi is a successful businessman hence he could run the nation like a biz but an ex-general who had to borrow to buy a form has now made the nation a borrowing one. Next elections, can you guys just shut up with your propaganda and let the business pple lead?

• Ada

October 4, 2016 at 12:54 am

Spokesperson of all Igbo’s…Ndewo.?

24. Nuna

October 3, 2016 at 10:59 am

If he comes out for president now, will people vote for him? No! Nigerians, forever voting along tribal lines. Northerners will never vote for him because he’s an Igbo man. It’s sad how Nigerians will always lament how bad things are but will never take the right steps to at least vote a good candidate in.
    2019 is almost upon us. Be wise

25. yemite

October 3, 2016 at 11:12 am

I believe Lie Lie Muhamed n is cohort are part of Nigeria good citizen who watching this great Man. Who are performed and laid down good example not the one they are campaigning of Change begin with me were as no sign of change in this present administration, if not by now this present government should have cut down there allowances.

26. Marian

October 3, 2016 at 11:34 am

Chei!!!!!! 2 billion naira??? On top wetin??? I recently visited a public high school in nigeria and the state of things were just too sad. And someone is collecting 2 billion. It is well!

27. o

October 3, 2016 at 1:33 pm

I’m so glad I watched this. This is mainly common sense and having the discipline to follow through… We need ppl.like this at all.kdvekd if government

28. tunde

October 3, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Obi spoke well. However, the fellowship of nowadays question any form of savings, claiming the land is dry. Even ministries are presently complaining that TSA and Buhari’s prudence is affecting the economy. Where do We now draw the line between saving government money and release of funds for valid government business.? I have friends actually asking for Buhari to give back pipeline contracts to the Niger deltans.
    Lastly, Peter obi was particularly close to the jonathans. Did he whisper this same message to them? #politricks

• anonymous

October 3, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Did you listen to his speech? He said he has not come to talk about the federal government expenditures but on the state government where he worked. And from his speech that it. was his personal decision to cut down his state cost. Nobody advice him. So I see no poly tricks. Just like you called it in his speech. When we learn to call a spade a spade dis country will move forward.

• Nuna

October 4, 2016 at 8:55 am

Are you minding him?

29. Jacko Wacko

October 3, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Should have been better done while he still in the office/power !!! but good of him thou

30. Omodolapo

October 3, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Because Nigerians are morons and they deserve the leaders they have. Did anybody even think carefully of what Buhari has to offer before voting for him? Did they think before voting for Jonathan, they love bn lied to and they get what they deserve because they have issues with thinking.

31. Engoz

October 3, 2016 at 7:55 pm

This man doesn’t even need to campaign. His work has spoken for him. No too much grammar. It’s a pity that for political relevance in Nigeria one needs to join either PDP or APC otherwise get ready to disappear into obscurity. People shouldn’t become millionaires or billionaires via politics. If you want to be a billionaire, invent something. The incentive to serve Nigeria should not be money. Instead they should be paid middle class or teacher salaries. Local government get about 100 million naira per month. Most of us don’t even know who our local government chairman is and what he/she does with the funds. We need to be involved in politics. Our children will curse us if we don’t get things right in our generation.

32. MaitamachicinLA

October 4, 2016 at 4:26 pm

If I had a magic wand I would clone 36 copies of this man, put one in each state and have him be President in 2019 to supervise them all.. Virtue, Integrity and Discipline speak for themselves. They don’t need loud trumpets. God bless you Peter Obi for caring for your people. May the heavens bless you bountifully in this life and in the next. Amen

33. Helen

October 5, 2016 at 3:46 am

What a touching speech. It is easier said than done. i just wish above all things that as He Peter Obi speaks if voted for he will change the change ha nierians have been looking for.
    I rep Castnigeria.com

34. David Adeyemi

October 5, 2016 at 6:35 am

May the Almighty God punish any individual who wants to rule Nigeria in 2019, except it is PETER OBI. We need PETER OBI for president come 2019. We can screen Fashola or El Rufai or Nuhu Ribadu for Vice president. . Though from my School days in UNILAG, the Man who duely impacted was an Igbo Man who was my roommate. He is also from ANAMBRA.

35. Ted Ukaegbu

October 6, 2016 at 11:35 am

Peter Obi is our man. Give him chance to help transform the Country we call Nigeria. He seems a man with the kind of vision we lack in M Buhari