Features

Ezinne Osuagwu: Makeup or Makedown – Are We “Making Up” for Self-Deficiencies?

dreamstime_african-american-woman-putting-on-makeup-lipgloss-with-compact-mirrorI get a lot of comments about my makeup; in fact, someone talked to me about simplicity and made a jab at us makeup loving women who spend time beautifying our faces. He opined that we wore makeup to “make up” for certain deficiencies, or maybe because we felt incomplete.

He found it unnecessary and felt we women should gravitate towards a simpler look. He said “I mean it’s called makeup right? So surely you’re making up for something? Do you feel incomplete?” he asked me.

I started to ask myself, why do I wear makeup? I have no problem going to work without makeup on (the last time I did though, my boss thought it was a sign of frustration and asked if I wanted to resign.)

I’m actually very comfortable in my skin, though I think my tummy could be flatter and my bank account could be bigger; maybe my edges could grow a little fuller, and my car could be grander….

As human beings, we always strive for perfection; it’s only natural to want to do better, want to look better, want to be better. Some want it more than others obviously, but everyone wants it, right?

For me, makeup is just an accessory to make my clothes look better and make my hair fit better and make my face look… you know, fleeker! I’m not making up for any deficiencies. I love every inch of me, but I want to be better.  Let’s even quote the Bible…remember the parable of the talents? How can God give me 5 talents and I’ll give him 5 back? Mbanu!

There’s a big difference between contentment and complacency, and wearing makeup doesn’t mean you are not content with your looks. It does not mean trying at all to be anything more than what you are is the beginning of complacency. If wearing makeup means, to anyone, that I’m not content in my own skin, then so be it!

Why do you wear makeup? And what do you think of women who wear a lot of makeup?

Photo Credits: Dreamstime

Ezinne 'Zizi' Osuagwu is a fashion blogger who loves to vent her thoughts through her writing. She is a Bubbly 20 something curious about life, passionate about fashion and positive in her pursuit of happiness. Worse still, she is as scatterbrained as they come. She blogs at hifashiononline.blogspot.com and Instagram @we_def

1. 'Diddie

November 9, 2016 at 11:06 am

Im with you on this. It is terrible when guys think women wear make up to attract them. I am comfortable with my natural looks but most times I would love to wear make up for transformation from ordinary to extraodinary#OkBye

2. Ify

November 9, 2016 at 11:09 am

I wear makeup because I think it’s magic. I don’t do the whole contouring and highlighting, not because I don’t like it but because I don’t have money to buy original yet. Lol. So I’m a makeup freak. I like the feeling of putting eyeshadow and lipstick and foundation and looking more beautiful. Makeup is not for everyone though. People should not be judged based on whether they make up or not. So I think all women are superstars whether they make up or not.

3. jayonce

November 9, 2016 at 11:09 am

I wear makeup because my face is a canvas of dark spots and acne and anytime I dare to step out without makeup, people do a double take just looking at me and I always get unwarranted comments like ”what happened to ur face” ”have u tried ori” ”stop eating groundnuts” bla bla bla.

• Esther

November 9, 2016 at 3:56 pm

This is a great example of making up for self deficiency. I can relate too. I used to wear a lot of makeup to cover up my hyperpigmentation, discloration and uneven tone skin problems. Even lighter foundation/powder to appear more shine shine. And anybody who dared told me, I wore too much makeup or condemn makeup lovers will receive heavy eye roll and wrath. I used to conceal the hell out of my undereye wrinkles/ bags but since my bags/wrinkles reduced, don’t wear concealer anymore. I saved a lot of money on those expensive Mac and Mary kay products. It’s not like i have money, but the little that I had was spent on makeup.

I tried bleaching and those toning creams but left me even more irritating. I became tired. So, I went for natural products, I’m not going to list everything bcos it was a lot of trial and error, before I stuck to specific ones. But don’t sleep on Ghana black soap(the less harsh ones), radha vitamin C serum and Rosehip oil. it was a long gradual process and it’s not even where I want it to be but I’m very satisfied with the huge improvement. I can walk around makeup free and still look nice. And if I decide on fleek up my skin, it looks nice too. As long as women take proper care of their skin and hair, confident in their bare natural state and not use all this as a cover up all the time. Don’t look like Beyonce for club then morning na different pesin.

• Allie

November 9, 2016 at 8:02 pm

Abeg where can I find good quality ghana black soap that won’t dry out my skin?

4. The Real Oma

November 9, 2016 at 11:21 am

I like make-up, sparingly, because 1) I can’t be bothered to do more, 2) Expenses, 3) I have a fear of too many products going on my skin. But i love when i see a woman work a full face of make-up! I admire it, and sometimes i even wish i could, but i have long accepted its not for me.
    Make-up is great and NO woman should be made to feel less for something so trivial.

5. Ovaltine

November 9, 2016 at 11:47 am

I wear make- up sparingly to enhance my looks. I think knowing the right amount of make- up to apply is the key to making it work for you. The fear of too much make up giving me skin problems also keeps me in check.

6. tunmi

November 9, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Enough with the opinions of men on why women wear makeup. They also should wear makeup and see. It is fucking art. The world does not revolve around humans with penises so stop making them the center of attention.

7. fancynancy

November 9, 2016 at 1:08 pm

you lost me at fleeker!

8. needhelp

November 9, 2016 at 2:47 pm

I wear makeup because am uncomfortable with my looks. wasn’t wearing make up when a colleague saw me and asked if i was sick. haven’t left my house without wearing makeup. I need serious help.

9. Allie

November 9, 2016 at 8:01 pm

All these men and their ridiculous opinions. Why bother your head about something that has no impact on your well-being or anyone’s for that matter? Is it really that serious??