Scoop

“No I can’t do it because… no that’s not fair” Chef Fregz shares Advice for Any Young Up & Coming Food Business

BellaNaija.com

After seeing a tweet from Ada of Favies Caterings, Chef Fregz shared his two cents on Instagram with photo of the tweet and the caption below;

This is for any young up and coming food business in particular.

If someone tells you this. Just End the discussion there no replies or anything. No I can’t do it because…. no that’s not fair. Nothing much just say thank you and move on.

The only exceptions are maybe a big fair or you do for a small crowd for the people who have the pay power. Because wisdom at the end of the day is profitable to direct.

Please make sure you work hard at delivering great food and service. There’s Google now no one really has an excuse to fail.
But for mumu behaviour like this. Silence. You know how it goes.

#2cents. #DropsMic

Source & Photo Credit: @fav_ey@chef_fregz

1. Cookie

December 3, 2016 at 12:30 am

‘You will get a lot of new clients and exposure” – I bet she thinks the new clients/exposure will aid procurement of foodstuffs for the said event, smh!

• LemmeRant

December 3, 2016 at 10:14 am

Well she’s got her exposure.

………. And she didn’t have to cater to anybody.

2. dupsy

December 3, 2016 at 1:07 am

Naija people and their awof ( free chop) and reverse psychology begging style! Which one for goodness sake is for exposure? Na exposure the people will eat? If you have such a posh clientele won’t they be well exposed to pay for their food? Just my two cents no offence o!

3. tunmi

December 3, 2016 at 1:26 am

The entire statement sef, “you want to charge me” Madam who you be!?????

4. Ba

December 3, 2016 at 2:04 am

Wicked

5. vora

December 3, 2016 at 3:23 am

so unfair..pple shld try and be reasonable..how would someone be in business if they dont charge for their service

6. kilipot

December 3, 2016 at 4:52 am

This is the definition of principalities and power in high places.

7. owl

December 3, 2016 at 5:01 am

100 people!!
    She doesn’t fear God for real!

8. mtchew

December 3, 2016 at 5:39 am

The woman is senseless.. These ppl are jst wicked.. I dn’t understand why they can’t just respect someone’s art.. they do it to ppl I knw.. I was at a weddin recently nd the makeup artist( a young widow) was telling us her story whilst doing the bride’s makeup nd mumu old women were still sitting on her chair expecting her the do their makeup.. asin wtf. I felt so much pity for her.. she wasn’t paid for all the he those other peopLe.. had do people expect her to feed her kids.. abeg I’m tired jor . let’s respect ppl.. let’s stop asking for free thingz or rubbish discounts..

9. Marlvina

December 3, 2016 at 6:23 am

Lmao! ? Just imagine? And in a critical economic situation like this? That 100 wld eventually turn to 150 or more. And such ppl like this won’t even appreciate your effort, if you however go ahead to carry out the free service. These are the kind of clients that will go around saying, the food wasn’t even enough to feed my guests yet I had paid the caterer for this.

10. Darius

December 3, 2016 at 6:34 am

This must be one big joke!

11. Spunky

December 3, 2016 at 7:08 am

Perhaps madam is not a Naijian. She suppose know say awoof dey run belle.

12. EC

December 3, 2016 at 9:07 am

that 100 people might even me 300 you see there. smh

13. LoveweddingsNG

December 3, 2016 at 10:02 am

“But for mumu behaviour like this. Silence.”

We hate it when people treat vendors like this. But like you said wisdom indeed is profitable to direct.

14. xplorenollywood.com

December 3, 2016 at 10:33 am

I get wat you guys r saying but sometimes these top guns don’t pay cos truth be told there’s a lot of good networking that come from these small gathering especially if the person making d request is a top shot. But at least pay for the food na, if you won’t pay for the cooking service.

15. Teni

December 3, 2016 at 10:41 am

She wants food at her event but she doesn’t want to pay for it. How ridiculous. Maybe the new clients will also want to pay the poor caterer via “exposure.”

16. Loki

December 3, 2016 at 11:31 am

I’m convinced the client was just joking. If not, then…
    So in this economy where consumables have doubled in price, when this poor caterer goes to buy the foodstuff from the market, and the seller asks for payment, he will present his “certificate of exposure” in exchange?
    And just in case you believe that if the guests are top shots, it will mean more business for the caterer, bear in mind that the kind of meals you will present to such a crowd that will lead to a call back will set you back at least a couple of millions. Abi is it jollof, half moin moin and teenage chicken leg you want to go and serve them? Because they don’t know where their neighbourhood Iya Basira is…

• Missnk

December 3, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Teenage chicken leg made me chuckle.

17. Omaoma

December 3, 2016 at 5:33 pm

This is what they’v been telling me since I started my photography business!!!! You want to charge me???? I’m your aunty ooooh!!!!! You want to charge me??? I’m your uncle ooooo

18. Loki

December 3, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Yo need to say to them “you want to STARVE me? I’m your niece ooooo”

19. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

December 3, 2016 at 9:57 pm

People are just mean, I mean really mean. Sometime ago I ordered a cake which I took to a function. People tasted it and liked it and ordered more from the caterer. The lady was happy and I think she gave me some snacks in appreciation. The bottom line is I patronized her paid and this opened doors for her. I was glad that through my patronage she got other orders. People whether big or small should pay for services rendered at most ask for a discount. If the person does this for exposure how is he going to sustain himself. I once asked an uncle who was in the construction business to help me remodel my parlor and I told him to give me his price and I paid him. even though he was family I patronized him and paid, Nigerians and wickedness sef

20. Lala

December 4, 2016 at 12:55 am

@Omaoma, just make sure you have an office, even if it’s a tiny cubicle. Once family and friends see that outsiders are patronising you, they will no longer communise your services. also, any one in wedding services, whether makeup or decor or anything else, just get a small car for starters. I find that Nigerians look down a lot on people. I think people pay for services based on all the effizy they see around you rather than for your ability. So, buy a bucket of paint and spruce off your office. Buy good inexpensive clothes online from the UK or USAduring sales. If you buy from the USA, use Grandbelle shipping to Lagos, only about 50 dollars or so per carton and they can squeeze up to 25 dresses in for you. Buy quality cheap clothes from 6pm.com

The caterer for my wedding drives a certain type of car, uses some of the poshest plates and platters and charges ridiculous amounts. Unsurprisingly, it is people who pay N1 million and above that patronise her. I attended a wedding where I think guests were close to 500 or more and I was pleased with her services and hired her for my wedding before I ever knew she charges a lot.

Catering is hard work and many Nigerian caterers charge too little to be sustainable and as a result, the caterers exert themselves so much that many don’t live long. The caterer for my wedding has a full time chef, so she only manages and supervises. She has lots of kitchen staff as well and ensures she takes her annual holiday for the sake of her health. This business is hectic.
    Had a neighbour in Nigeria who did this but charges really little as she caters to the lower end of the market. The funny thing is, someone paid her really little for a funeral but the same family paid millions to another caterer for their child’s wedding. So, it’s down to packaging. This mama caterer almost lost her life to stress. Now she takes lots of poor women (women who typically would be carrying concrete at construction sites) for about 2,500 naira each for the whole day plus her kids are now quite grown and they help her.

I advise anyone going into catering to cater to the middle level or upper classes of society. In the beginning, you would struggle but eventually it works out. In the end, Nigerians would have to learn to pay more or reduce their guests!

• Loki

December 4, 2016 at 8:28 am

Great point. However, “wee poor people not do party again?” Someone has to cater for them.
      That being said,I do agree that caterers are underpaid. That might be why they cut corners a lot. Some pieces of meat you see sometimes….you might confuse them for maggi cubes. Nigerians may benefit immensely from reducing their guest lists and utilising the whole RSVP thing properly. In other words, confirm you will attend and you are only entitled to +1 not your entire gang of friends plus your sister that just came from obodo. . But we are a communal society. What is going to happen to that old aunty that claims she “backed” you as a baby and invited herself to your wedding?
      Something has to change though…