BN TV

Is This Really the Truth about “The Millenial Generation”? Simon Sinek on Addiction to Social Media and Filters, Bad Attitude to Work & More

BN TV

A couple of days ago, an excerpt from an interview of a man talking about the “truth” of the Millenial Generation (born from 1981 to 1997 – if you’re anywhere between 20 and 36 years old) gathered a lot of buzz.

The speaker Simon Sinek is a two-time selling best Author, has one of the most watched TED talks of all time (top 5), and motivational speaker was a guest on Inside Quest where he addressed “How to get people to follow you”.

He explained how we have an entire generation growing up with lower self-esteem than previous generations because they are told they are special all the time and they can have anything they want in life. However, reality sets in and they realize that isn’t the case. He also said the gen is addicted to social media, likes and filters – both literally and figuratively – i.e. to showing the best parts of their lives online.

He also talks about the Responsibilities of a Leader, Measuring Trust, Bad Business Practices of the 80s and 90s, taking phones away in meetings and the millennial generation.

Here’s the one minute clip that went viral –

The clip resonated with our Instagram followers so we had to go the extra mile and bring BellaNaijarians the full-length video.

Some would say his vision for the future leadership is inspiring, while others may think otherwise. Let us know what you think –

Watch!

Photo Credit: TED.com

1. Trafficator

January 11, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Hmmmmm..True

2. Nyc

January 11, 2017 at 3:35 pm

So very true!!

3. Lailatu

January 11, 2017 at 3:40 pm

I totally agree!

4. Chiomah

January 11, 2017 at 3:43 pm

He does makes some valid points. I hear people talk about how many likes they get and I have had to chide myself for sometimes only wanting to post “perfect” pictures. People seem to have so much confidence but actually its usually the opposite.

5. Long John Silver

January 11, 2017 at 4:27 pm

This guy is blabbing shit. . I don’t trust anyone that tells others how to live their lives. No one should dominate your mind with any idea or abstraction. He keeps comparing with an ideal that doesn’t exist . The world have move past that. there was a reason he wan’t born in the 1990 or in 2000s . I speak for myself as a millennial sometimes I want to act grown up, sometimes i want to do mundane things, sometimes I want to enjoy life to the fullest or the way i see fit.

Hypocritical Nigerians fall for shit like this. Open your mind embrace your many passions follow your curiosity explore and embrace new opportunities I think that leads to a happier life . **just my views and how i live my life**

• A Real Nigerian

January 11, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Glad someone sees this.
      His generalisation is idiotic and very limited.

• LemmeRant

January 11, 2017 at 6:34 pm

“Hypocritical Nigerians fall for shit like this”

Rephrase:
      “Hypocritical Nigerians fall for shit like this – if it’s said by a white man”

Let Charley Boy, Freeze or any other Nigerian say stuffs like this and…..

6. nene

January 11, 2017 at 5:22 pm

the truth! a lot of youths these days have a terrible attitude to work. and let’s not even get started on the madness that is social media.

• Linda

January 11, 2017 at 11:15 pm

yet, like us, you’re here under every post, telling us all the things you know about every nigerian celebrity and billionaire based on their twitter and instagram posts.

• Feynasia

January 12, 2017 at 8:27 am

Gbam!

7. Cindy

January 11, 2017 at 5:43 pm

I don’t take anyone who has a problem with millinials seriously. You know why? Because every generation hatd its strengths and weaknesses. It has always been like that and it will always be like that. No need to compare or put one down.