Features

Aunty Bella: Miss Bothered Traveller

BellaNaija.com

Aunty Bella is our  agony aunt column on BellaNaija. We launched this column in the early days of BN and periodically feature issues sent in by BN readers. We hope the BN family can offer insightful advice.

***

Dear Aunty Bella,

I like to remain anonymous.I just read about the software Engineer that was held by immigration.

I am a visible Muslim lady who has been to the US once for about 11 days. I renewed my visa recently and got travel ticket for a week visit via Emirates.The duration of my visit is influenced mostly by work and personal circumstances.

After reading the news yesterday I don’t know if I should be bothered. Is there any documents I should go with while on my trip. Even though I am Nigerian, will the #Muslimban affect me( I am aware Nigeria is not on the list)? What precaution should I take?

Thanks
Bothered traveler

Photo Credit: Darrinhenry | Dreamstime.com

1. Manny

March 2, 2017 at 8:59 pm

Be truthful at all times. Carry evidence of where you will be staying – hotel confirmation or address/phone of family/friend. I wouldn’t use airbnb confirmation as evidence if I were you.
    Carry evidence of a job/business back home. Have evidence of money to spend. Be prepared for your phone to be searched – if you don’t feel like you are compromising, maybe delete some religious apps, especially if there is Arabic script in it.
    John Kelly has said that U.S. visitors may have to hand over social media passwords so even your IG likes may be scrutinized.

• Marian

March 3, 2017 at 5:54 am

Everything Manny said and keep answers short and straight to the point if pulled aside for questioning. Even when they are smiling and doing casual chats do not gey chatty with them. It’s part of their tactic to get information. Pretty much don’t give out more info than you need to.

I’m one of those chatty people and it went from 0-100 real quick during a custom check. Dude started repeating stuff i said earlier during our just chatting phase.

Stay calm and Relax you have not commited a crime. The process can be very annoying but try to keep your attitude in check and do not at anytime try to be disrespectful. Some of them really do take their job too seriously and can make the process even more annoying and difficult.

• Bothered Traveller

March 3, 2017 at 11:08 am

Thank you very much. I am also a chatterbox

• Bothered Traveller

March 3, 2017 at 11:06 am

Thank you so much for your advise. I will get a letter from my employer and also get my friend over there to book an hotel for me then send me a written confirmation from the hotel.

I hope I get PTA.

2. EE

March 3, 2017 at 6:23 am

Feel the breeze in your hair and all your problems disappear.

Last I checked, the hijab isn’t the shahada or the 4 actions that make you Muslim.

• Bothered Traveller

March 3, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Awwww.. thanks for your feedback. I do let feel the breeze in relevant locations.

By the way, apart from the 5 pillars of Islam there are articles of faith.

Belief in His books is one of it and the Quran is one of the books.

And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons, their husbands’ sons, their brothers, their brothers’ sons, their sisters’ sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed.

There are six pillars of Faith in Islam:

1. Belief in Allah (God),

2. Belief in His Angels,

3. Belief in His Books,

4. Belief in His Messengers,

5. Belief in the Last Day, and:

6. Belief in the Divine Preordainment and Divine Decree (Qadhaa’ and Qadr).

3. king Josh

March 3, 2017 at 6:31 am

Two places in the world have been allocated safe travel for muslims and their confederate of zombie slave nations and that is the dessert ( where everything is either DEAD/ or DYING from heat. They typically sort shelter in any cavity space that can be afforded most populary Tents or your wife’s rectum cavity; here you will find no social ‘resistance’ to this abhorent custom.!! This is why dubai is called “Sodom de la mer” by the French. Which translates into “Sodomy by the beach!” …… The other place is naturally HELL! coz that is the most likely destination you will end up after fully learning the ways of Arabs. So hope you find safe travel my Hausa fullani sister….

• Bothered Traveller

March 3, 2017 at 11:02 am

Thank you so much for your response. May God guide you to the straight path and make it easy for you to coexist and accept the difference in others.

btw, I am Yoruba.

• King Josh

March 4, 2017 at 1:58 am

Well the picture was misleading.

You can reason more with Yorobanis, the answer is quite simple realy…on the count ur the only yoroba having trouble getting into anywhere, maybe the following tips can help.

Possible suggestions: Quit cooning around other people’s religions and people will stop treating you like an imposter piece o trash.

Alternative Outcomes – ur lucky they didnt throw your ass in the zoo for being such a monkey and a sad excuse for an African..

Reccomendation: You are a flipping disgrace! seriously you are!

Future Advice: Basically try to look normal! You dont want people starring at ur fancy head garments, looking like fu****g “Mojo-jojo!”

4. Aisha

March 3, 2017 at 9:58 am

@king josh if u don’t v anything good to say why can’t u just keep quiet, why do we v to be so bitter towards each other. In ds life dr r good n bad people either u r a christian or a Muslim

5. buttercuP

March 3, 2017 at 10:19 am

@king Josh
    There’s no difference blw you and the extremist. You both have hate in common so you’re not any better.

6. Ameh

March 3, 2017 at 12:03 pm

@ Josh,haters don’t grow!

7. Moni

March 3, 2017 at 9:16 pm

When I read comments like king Josh’s, I marvel at God’s grace. I wonder, Lord, how can you be so gracious? So merciful? So pure? So true?
    I also wonder, what will Jesus do?

Oh well! I can only wonder…

8. aj

March 4, 2017 at 6:50 am

go take ur meds you son of a b*tch! @ josh

9. Idomagirl

March 5, 2017 at 5:18 am

BN why approve comments like King Josh’s?
    What nonsense.

10. Enny Heart Heart

March 5, 2017 at 10:27 am

King Josh your comments are mean! TBT, I personally have reservations concerning Muslims, hailing from the Southern Nigeria, raised up (even though my childhood we lived mostly in the north and west), to see muslims/Hausa or Hausa speaking Yoruba- as enemies, and not to be in their company longer than necessary. And so much more.
    But to say sth so mean and so vile to another human being is just cruel and yes, you’re a bully.

She’s a Muslim but man she’s a person first, and if you can’t return simple cordiality and manners to another person, then you’re no better than a wild animal. Your mama shoulda taught you better!