BN TV

Aunty Bella: Miss. Eroding Eyebrows

BellaNaija.com

Aunty Bella is our  agony aunt column on BellaNaija. We launched this column in the early days of BN and periodically feature issues sent in by BN readers. We hope the BN family can offer insightful advice.

***
Where are all the beauty experts in the house? Please get in here. I have a serious problem. It might not be ground breaking but it is causing me a lot of bother.

It is about my eyebrows and eye pencils. Heyy it is not funny. Am I the only one suffering Alopecia from using eyepencils. Like literally when I apply them, it is as if I have used very cheap crayon. It fades out my brows and thins them out immediately. Am I making sense? It leaves a funny smear instead of properly shading them as expected.

My initial thought was I must have been imagining it, but today I noticed an entire patch had eroded from my left brow. This is despite me using all the available means to grow them including dark castor oil, onion oil and some grow thing from Amazon. I’m freaked out and I feel the need to speak up and call manufacturers out.

I strongly believe it has everything to do with the low quality stuff they are using these days. They are probably thinking: They (women) shave them off and draw on it so why bother; might as well use the lowest quality, low cost and maximum profit.

Another reason I feel manufacturers are hood winking us is, not all the eye pencils have the same drastic effect on my brows. The older stocks of any brands from Davies through to Sleek are not damaging. It’s the newer stock in the market that these Chinese people have invaded.

Please am I the only one suffering this problem? What other quality “affordable” brands are people using? Please let me know your experience so I know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

1. Ify

March 9, 2017 at 5:34 am

I use Davies and Airwoman, literally the two cheapest pencils in Nigeria. I haven’t really noticed any damage. Where do you buy your pencils? Try a reputable supermarket. House of Tara pencil is fine too, I used it for a while.

2. chima

March 9, 2017 at 8:39 am

hehehe
    God did not make a mistake creating you
    You are beautiful the way you are
    why trying to recreate yourself?
    plus you mean this is the serious problem you have? erm erm erm…..

• abby

March 9, 2017 at 12:27 pm

how is she recreating herself? will you stop saying such nonsense! msscheww

3. Aibee

March 9, 2017 at 9:14 am

I use Davies pencils. Colour 3! I prefer the Davies pencils as they shade properly and don’t dissolve into an oily smear like Airwoman. I’ve been using Davies pencils for over 10 years now. I’ve never used another eyebrow pencil or filler except for a brief stint with Airwoman which lasted till that pencil finished. I’ve never noticed any hair loss.

Perhaps, its not the pencil you use. Are you loosing hair else? Is your hair breaking or falling out – head hair and pubic hair? Do you shapen your brows? Could be you are taken out more hair than necessary.

4. funmilola

March 9, 2017 at 10:29 am

I remember asking my landlord’s daughter why she trimmed her eyebrows so thin, she said that’s the way her eyebrows have always been and she’s got long hair, so that might be your case too. it’s not the pencil, so embrace it and know how to fill it properly.

5. Uberhaute looks

March 9, 2017 at 11:10 am

You have many alternatives aside from Davies. In fact, as a pro mua, I don’t use Davies alone without setting it with powder be it eyeshadow etc and I use brow definer which contains wax and wax helps the longevity.
    So, you have many options dearie.

6. SoniaPaloma

March 9, 2017 at 11:16 am

You don’t have to use eye pencil for your eyebrow. I use the sleek makeup eyebrow kit, it comes with eyebrow brush

7. Toni

March 9, 2017 at 12:53 pm

I think your problem might not be the pencil but could possibly be loss of hair. Try not to shave your brows for a while. Using a concealer will help cover this up. I used to have scanty eyebrows due to Muas shaving most of it off but I had to stop that. I also have used Davies no3 for a while and I haven’t noticed any negative side effects.

8. Dr. N

March 9, 2017 at 2:38 pm

I just noticed u mentioned alopecia but didn’t consider a medical explanation for it.
    Why not get checked out? Just to be sure
    Cheers

• Abi

March 9, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Gaps and loss of hair on eyebrows could be symptomatic of a thyroid disorder. Get to a hospital and get a blood test.
      Dodgy eyeliner would affect your skin and not your facial hair.

9. Authentic Sunshine

March 9, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Thanks guys for your comments. I will try the House of Tara brand and speak to GP about Alopecia.

10. Omolola

March 15, 2017 at 10:05 am

hehehehe I used Davies for a while and I loved it ( i should go back to it sef). I now use Beauty Treat dark brown I sincerly love how soft it feels on skin and it last on me but have in mind I have a normal skin. I also use brow filler after pencil sometimes and brow gel or wax should help with the long lasting effect too.