News

Nigerian Woman Honored by Queen Elizabeth | Appointed Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire

Professor Dame Elizabeth Nneka Anionwu, a nurse who campaigned to have the statue of Mary Seacole erected at St Thomas’ hospital received her insignia on February 28th, after being awarded the honor by the Queen of England back in December.

Professor Dame Anionwu, an advocate for sickle cell disorder and a founding member of the sickle cell society has been instrumental in improving services.

“Guess which Dame has just been to Buckingham Palace to receive her Insignia, and from Her Majesty The Queen no less?! #NewYearsHonours,” she tweeted.

Before the ceremony, Professor Dame Anionwu’s daughter, Azuka Oforka, an actress on the popular medical drama Casualty, said she was so proud.

See Photos below

1. thesageola

March 3, 2017 at 11:51 am

All I see is two queens

2. Paul Adeyemo

March 3, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Neo-Colonisation at its best. Is there still an Empire, the empire was symbolic for slavery, illegal occupation, stealing etc

• God's Gold

March 4, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Paul you are right Benjamin Zephaniah refused it for similar reasons.

3. Bellanaigerian

March 3, 2017 at 12:42 pm

I love this. Makes me so proud. Also love her traditional attire ?

4. bashebony

March 3, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Pls Oga Paul what are you talking about, I don’t understand this your comment. Congratulations to the Dame.

5. funmilola

March 3, 2017 at 2:46 pm

congratulations ma’am!
    @thesageola, you’re very correct, I see two queens too

6. chychy

March 3, 2017 at 4:09 pm

i am soo proud. congratulations ma’am.

7. john

March 3, 2017 at 4:30 pm

when will women stop decieving themselves about being queen (expecially delusional black women)..there is onlyvone king or queen in a kingdom and I see only one Queen and that is the white one and paul adeyemo is 100% right..It is like tommororow I will see prince charles of England presenting an award to a black man and I will shout 2 king or prince .wtf

8. Mimi festus

March 3, 2017 at 5:02 pm

I see two queens too! ??, and she went with her African outfit, so so beautiful ?.
    I remember when mumsy came for my graduation in a similar outfit. I was initially opposed to her wearing it, but She ended up stealing the show at the event! Hahahaha, everyone kept complimenting her and her nice headgear.
    Congratulations Dame Anionwu, you just added some more glitter to the nursing profession.