Scoop

See How Big Brother Africa 6 winner Karen Igho responded to a “fan” who tried to Complexion Shame Her

BellaNaija.com

You remember her as the vibrant housemate and eventual winner on Big Brother Africa Season 6 also known as Big Brother Africa: Amplified, Karen Igho enjoyed the Nigerian celebrity scene for a while before she moved back to the UK.

In the UK, she married her longtime love Yaroslav Rakos and welcomed a son.

Karen recently shared a new photo to celebrate International Women’s Day, while most fans commended her beauty, one follower said “U she BLACK abi cream don finish ni”

Karen Before & After

Rather than react angrily, Karen said “Cream didn’t finish, I just wont put chemical on my skin anymore and if because of that I dont look pretty to you but I look beautiful to me. Love me for or dont LOL. I didn’t disappear I’m married and I have a son that needs me so it’s family over everything lol”
Nice one Karen, you’re glowing!

1. BB

March 10, 2017 at 10:20 pm

Nice one Karen!

• Samantha

March 11, 2017 at 8:59 pm

She still said her son is yellow enough for both of them. She’s still in the colorism mindset. So sad.
      The bleaching cream isn’t the problem it’s the colonial mindset.

• kesiena

March 13, 2017 at 10:04 am

Its sad you cant understand a sarcastic comment when you see it. Chai.
      Change your colorism mindset too. Thats what is not allowing you to see the subtle shade behind the comment.

2. Nv

March 10, 2017 at 10:49 pm

she looks good and I kind of like her nose!

3. nene

March 10, 2017 at 11:18 pm

i’m happy she stopped bleaching. i hope she doesn’t go back.

4. Susie

March 11, 2017 at 12:48 am

well she schooled her that’s for sure! I’m happy she stopped bleaching. her natural complexion matches her features much better

5. Seriously

March 11, 2017 at 1:25 am

I’m proud of her. Hope many bleachers will come back to their natural complexion. She actually looks better

• Ottawa Queen

March 11, 2017 at 4:49 am

If only Toke could say this! But No! She can’t of course and she won’t.

• EC

March 11, 2017 at 10:55 am

If bleachers returned back to their complexion we may not be able to recognize some people

• Nana Abena

March 11, 2017 at 11:33 am

You can’t say RETURN BACK… RETURN is enough.. lol

6. keechi

March 11, 2017 at 5:20 am

I like this Karen with sense and that is all about her family! You go girl!

7. MsChar

March 11, 2017 at 8:38 am

What is wrong with Nigerians and their obsession with bleach?. 75% of Nigerian women bleach according to statistics. 75%!!!! So obsessed with all things white and western that they cannot even see their own self hate. All that weave and bleach and contouring to narrow your nose; can’t you see you are buying into a white aesthetic that you can never attain. Be proud of who you are!

P.s. the Hyperpigmentation excuse is lame. Why then bleach to 5 shades lighter than you have ever been in your life. Were you hyperpigmented at birth? Melanin is gold baby, embrace it .
    Well done Karen

• Nicole

March 11, 2017 at 10:59 am

Such an insightful input, but a good slice of the Black male population (world-wide) dont appreciate (or are not attracted) to dark skin with typical/heavy west african facial features in women (The same features and skin tone many of them have). The same women who gave them immortality. They communicate this both subtly and not so subtly.A lot of Black women get this message at a very early age or later. This is something other races are well aware of. Cant blame women for doing what they need to do to get what they want……A little more counter-arguments to your claims
      – Not all black people have broad/upturned or flat noses
      – White/Non-black women contour their noses too and even lead in facial/nose contouring surgeries
      – Hyper-pigmentation can be developed over time with sun exposure, and other factors especially for lighter complected black people.
      So stop with the gas-lighting and scapegoating….

• Jade Edo babe

March 11, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Abeg it’s ignorant people’s problem because I see majority of dark/brown skin children. I’m one of them. So if black men don’t like darker black women how are they procreating with them.
      Most of the rappers that put these video vixens in their video. Their women in real life are opposite of how these women look in videos.
      Bleachers in Nigeria are a small percentage. You don’t go to naija or interact with naijas and see Toke or Tonto all over the place.

• Tosin

March 11, 2017 at 11:47 am

lol at statistics. you try.

8. Nicole

March 11, 2017 at 10:19 am

She doesn’t need it anymore…She is married to a White Man

9. john

March 11, 2017 at 10:20 am

@mschar and they all want a socalled “real man “that will treat them like queen or equal or whatever is convenient to them that day..fake bitc****. ..I will rather go for the real thing (white women) with original hair and skin and treat her like a queen

10. LL

March 11, 2017 at 11:40 am

People keep saying black men don’t like women with typical African features and dark skin. So who are the people having relationships, kids and families with the dark skinned, typical-featured African women? Funny enough the people who fall a lot about a woman’s complexion are women themselves. Truth be told, some features on humans tend to be the perceived ‘ideal’. These include- height, fair complexion, long hair, pointed nose, well-proportioned figure, being blonde(for the Caucasians) and much more. In spite of all these, we’ve seen short models, actors, fat successful showbiz people, brunette starlets, and many others. Anyone that decides that the world’s beauty standards will determine their ability to live a fulfilled life needs help.

• Nicole

March 11, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Whilst there is sense in your comment you are circumventing around the point. In Black-Dominated Countries or Communities Black men would breed with Dark Skinned and African featured women, because that is what dominates in those environments. Yes there are Black men who genuinely love women with those aesthetics, a good slice of them perceive those aesthetics as masculine…..or an aesthetic that doesn’t align with success and wealth….The image of their mothers, sisters, female cousins/family members.etc…

As a Black Woman, I have always known before I hit my early teens that Black men viewed Dark Skin on women negatively. I never cared because I was always the lighter girl around (this was in Nigeria mind you). I am also the black woman with the heavy chest with the ideal waist to butt/hip ratio. I’ve got a broad nose and yes whilst I have had my fair share of Black men who have found and made me feel beautiful, I have come across those with their not so lovely comments. Anyways, I got a non-surgical rhinoplasty to make my nose appear less characteristic. (I may eventually get an actual one).

If a Black man is with a dark-skinned woman, she usually has eurocentric features and if he is with an african-featured woman, she is usually lighter-skinned. Colourism and Featurism is very real in Black Cultures World-wide, especially for women and should not be swept under the rug. If someone thinks that something holds them back, they’d want to extricate themselves from it.

• artklub

March 11, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Hi Nicole, you dont sound like you live in Nigeria. We may “exoticize” and admire light skin and european features but we have pretty good self esteem as far as our blackness and aesthetics. Trends come and go, but black aesthetics dominate in Nigeria. I think you are more speaking from diaspora perspective. But you tried.

• Adenicole

March 11, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Sorry but there are some things that can’t be changed, you just have to learn and accept yourself. Eg a guys instrument. Take responsibility for your actions and don’t blame society for it.

11. Idomagirl