Features

Aunty Bella: Miss. I Need Cheap Tuition in Canada

Aunty Bella is our  agony aunt column on BellaNaija. We launched this column in the early days of BN and periodically feature issues sent in by BN readers.
We hope the BN family can offer insightful advice.

***
Good morning, please can you do an aunty Bella post for me regarding this. I am a lawyer based in Nigeria, I am looking for a low tuition university in Canada for my masters.
I want to do my masters in Communications or Public relations. Also, please are there any universities offering scholarships for international students? Considering the current exchange rate in Nigeria, I can’t afford to spend too high right now.

Canada is my first choice because I can stay and work to get experience after school. Thanks

1. Google

April 4, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Is ur friend.

2. Diamena

April 4, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Yes o, I needed to see this post. I also need info on Canadian postgraduate scholarships. Many fraudulent agents here in Nigeria.

3. jane

April 4, 2017 at 2:37 pm

when you say low, how low? what is your range and/or budget?

4. Pink

April 4, 2017 at 2:46 pm

God bless you for this post writer.
    Please anyone with information on scholarships for international students in canada, scholarships for african women in STEM, please help out. I’ve been searching all day.

• April

April 4, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Tons of scholarships right there in good old Naija.Have you applied to your state of origin? Or if you’re in STEM like me why don’t you try PTDF. For you to apply for a foreign scholarship you will have to be academically sound, I’m guessing you have good grades from your first degree. These are all issues you should bear in mind.

5. Izgallile

April 4, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Does any body have info but for Brazil or Malaysia pls holla

• Jankey

September 14, 2017 at 10:01 pm

I studied in Malaysia… if you still need info on schooling there feel free to contact me

6. Lebelle_ami

April 4, 2017 at 3:26 pm

I’m following this post diligently, this is greatly needed, STEM as well. Thanks!

7. G

April 4, 2017 at 3:27 pm

You don’t have to do masters cos that is where international students are exploited. If you are looking to do PR or communications, you can do a post graduate diploma at a college like seneca college. I am in that field and trust me doing a diploma at a college gives you more practical experience as opposed to going to uni. I work for the government of ontario and rarely do we ask for people with masters for a communications position. An undergraduate degree or diploma will suffice. If they need you to further your education, the tuition assistance program at work often pays for the students to go to school. Hope this helps

• Observaunt

April 4, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Cosign! Canadian employers have no respect for your university degree, they are all looking for experience and a college education will give you practical skills and experience. My sister and I went to top 20 universities in the US and graduated with honours yet Canadian employers still have the effrontery to offer you $30k annual salary and you will be the most educated person in the building. It is well.

Seneca and Centenniel have good practical programs for communications and they are much more affordable. If your goal is to stay in Canada to work you are better off taking this route and furthering your education once you have more experience.

• Ajala & Foodie

April 4, 2017 at 10:13 pm

@ Obsevaunt, Canada in general pays way less than the US, my brother moved across the pond a little less than a couple of years ago and this was after graduating from a pretty good college here in the States and over 10 years of work experience with proven growth. He still had to take a significant deep in wages and this was despite signing a waiver so that is current employer could get information on his wages with his past employer in the States. So it may not necessarily have to do with NOT appreciating Education. I think pay is just general lower in Canada and even in the UK in comparison to the US.

• OLABANJI

May 16, 2017 at 2:41 pm

I hear a lot of people say the Canadian embassy now refuse more pgd offers. Please is this assertion true?. thanks

8. An employer

April 4, 2017 at 3:29 pm

You don’t have the funds but want to study abroad so you can stay behind and work very flawed plan if you ask me. Why don’t you study in Nigeria? Or Ghana?

• Mary

April 4, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Its easier and less stressful to work and school abroad. Their system works better, you learn in a more serene environment.

• TeeS

April 4, 2017 at 4:21 pm

What does Nigeria have to offer?
      She clearly wants to go abroad and have better opportunities, where you can work part time and still go to school. It is definitely not a flawed plan. Please ignore people like this.
      And there are job opportunities for those who excelled in school and are hardworking.
      I do not know about Canada but in the US, you can look into being a teaching Assistant, tuition is discounted at about 50% off. You should also look into schools where blacks are minorities so you can get scholarships based on that. Not sure how it works in Canada . Many schools offer scholarships to help professors participate in research and all that good stuff. I can definitely help you with US but not Canada
      All the best

• HTBAN

April 5, 2017 at 3:50 pm

What does Nigeria have to offer? Nigeria has a lot to offer, it is still home to those who cannot leave, I am just speaking in faith for a better Nigeria. We are a developing nation whilst Canada is a developed nation.

9. Ada

April 4, 2017 at 3:56 pm

You should try Germany. Tuition in most schools are free and you have the opportunity to stay after your education as well.

10. Esperer

April 4, 2017 at 3:57 pm

University of Manitoba
    University of saaskatoon
    Most Canadian schools have funding for masters especially if u have second class upper after admission u can apply for scholarship especially for research courses

• Rynyx

April 5, 2017 at 2:39 am

I think you mean University of Saskatchewan….there is no university of Saskatoon.

11. YYC Mama

April 4, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Hi there! I reside in Canada, didn’t school here so I don’t know much about the school rates and all. While sourcing for interns for my company, I discovered that it is much cheaper to school in the colder and less populated provinces like Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick e.t.c. Luckily you are not into Engineering, so you should find one with a full program in the discipline you are interested in. Go to Wikipedia and search for the list of universities in Canada, you can start from there as you’ll find a table of canadian provinces and their universities. I hope this helps.

12. info

April 4, 2017 at 4:37 pm

There’s a thread for studying in Canada on the travel page of nairaland. Lots of information on your questions there.

13. Toro

April 4, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Have you considered the university of Toronto it’s pretty good for stem bt scholarships are available to the best and brightest good luck ?

14. le coco

April 4, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Check out New foundling university.. its the cheapest I’ve found

15. Louda

April 4, 2017 at 6:01 pm

I have never been to Canada but I feel the colleges are much cheaper than the universities. You might consider going to a college just to get you into the system first. While doing the course, you can apply for your masters part time which will allow you more time to stay in the country and work while you school. Besides, going in there first might be an eye opener for a better course to study in the long run. Not like yur course is not good but sometimes, there might be other options we never know. Good luck with your search.

• Rynyx

April 5, 2017 at 2:45 am

I agree. The College programs are shorter and way more intense than the universities. I am registered in a Business College in Saskatoon and it is intense but the Upside is that the school is in contract with a number of employers to only employ graduates from there so all i need to do is pass well and i could have a job waiting. I am a PR already and so i got funding from an NGO for immigrants, they are not really cheap but there are options.

• ONYII

April 10, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Thank you for this, please send me a mail, really need more information on this.

16. Ewa Ali

April 4, 2017 at 6:07 pm

University of Manitoba

17. Genevieve

April 4, 2017 at 7:16 pm

I am the writer of this post. BN thanks for posting this. @google, yes I know Google is my friend but sometimes it’s good to hear from the horse’s mouth.

I actually got my first degree (law) from the united kingdom not too long ago when the going was good with the exchange rate. I have practised law for sometime now and I’m looking to switch careers because law is kinda limiting. I.e. if I were to practice in another country I will most likely have to do their law school and exams, etc. I would have gone back to my uni in d UK for my masters as I was offered a discount in tuition fees but there’s hardly work opportunities for international students at the moment and BREXIT isn’t helping matters. Lol.

@G, thanks for the info, I will check Seneca college.

@ada, thanks. I checked Germany but for you to get a professional job after school you will most likely have to speak German, I’m currently learning French. I want a place without language barrier. Plus I really like Canada.

@esperer, many thanks dear, I already checked those universities you mentioned, tuition is high and I don’t want a research degree, I prefer classroom based.
    @yyc mama,@info, @toro, @le Coco, @louda, @ewa Ali, many thanks. I will check them out. God bless. I’m looking forward to starting this summer by God’s grace.

• Pamz

April 5, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Look at Lambton College, Seneca College, Centinnial College, in terms of tuition they are way cheaper than uni for masters. Make sure you get a program for two years., in order to get a 3 years work permit afterwards. you want to go by September, you really need to hurry because of visa application, as it takes time. Also you really need to convince the visa officer why you want a career change. Look at the schools, I’m sure you’ll get something you like there. Hope this helps. Goodluck.

18. Enny

April 4, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Please, help with suggestions if you have any.
    In my case, I am in the US currently at a community college and I wanna transfer to a four year university/college this fall or latest spring 2018. I don’t know where to go. I am so confused. I want a school that is affordable but equally good. I want a school with scholarships for int’l students or at least student jobs and I want a school in a city I can afford. Another that I am looking our for is a place where I can make strong, long-lasting friendships especially with people like myself (foreigners; if you know what I mean). I have eendured the loneliness enough abeg.
    Please help.

19. Catherine

April 4, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Hello there,
    You can check out this thread on nairaland and ask your question there as well. Wishing you all the best.

nairaland.com/3649314/canadian-student-visa-thread-part

20. xovxo

April 4, 2017 at 10:03 pm

Memorial University of Newfoundland!! about 40% cheaper compared to other universities in Canada. Check them out just to confirm. Besides, I can’t find your program. Goodluck! It located in St. john, Newfoundland and Labrador.

21. Bee

April 5, 2017 at 12:10 am

To begin with…studying isnt cheap in Canada o. Don’t be decieved. Totally true that tuition is cheaper in the colder areas,so while checking for unis there,consider the option of a post grad diploma as well in the colleges especially if you don’t have tangible work experience as this will expose you to internship/coop.

Your plan is to stay back and live here permanently so make sure your program is at least 2years so you can get a 3year post grad work permit and this buys you time to apply for your permanent residency.

Avoid schools in the not very buoyant areas…infact avoid Niagara college to be specific.

All the best and if you need to contact an agent,check Iwajay Consulting. They are registered immigration consultants and their success rate is really high.

22. ThatAwkaGirl

April 5, 2017 at 4:49 am

You should check out cannime.com, send a mail to the owner of the site. She helps with immigrating to Canada as well studying here. Goodluck!

23. Pamz

April 5, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Also check Nairaland : Travelling to Canada. Part 1-11. Lots of info there, from School Application to Visa Application. Look at the schools, I’m sure you’ll get something you like there. Hope this helps. Goodluck.

24. Mzphunby

April 6, 2017 at 3:52 pm

Please anyone with information about studying for masters in France?

25. Ola

April 8, 2017 at 2:08 pm

I school in France, what would you like to know?

26. Wale

April 8, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Hi, please are you still sourcing for Interns? I am into Information Security in Toronto