Features

Aunty Bella: Miss. Struggling As a Result of Skin Issues

Aunty Bella is our  agony aunt column on BellaNaija. We launched this column in the early days of BN and periodically feature issues sent in by BN readers.
We hope the BN family can offer insightful advice.

***
My skin has been a major cause of concern in my life. By the time I was a teenager, my skin was clean and clear. Then some years later, I started the worst struggle of my life, my skin began to develop rashes and then pimples, I thought it was normal, I thought it was the type
of experience that comes with puberty, but things got worse.

The pimples totally covered my face and not just that they were severely painful and itchy. I couldn’t understand but I was determined to get rid of it. It was at that point I started taking advice about which product to use, how lime works and what a gallon of water can do for me. I took all of these. Followed regimen after regimen. I was intensively cautious of the things I ate, no oil, no nuts and so many other things went off my meal list. I tried a dermatologist once and she called out my family’s six months budget for a treatment, it was not even an option anymore, and as my skin got worse, I used more advice from random people. Some weeks I will totally stop using anything, I went on several fast programs. I just felt it was time for God to take hold, fast after fast, my skin remained the same.

With all this dedication, my skin only got critical. More disgusting and slowly I was losing confidence. I felt irritated with myself. I will snap randomly at my younger ones. My mum cleans an office for a living, she will go to work and receive insults from her boss at work, and she will return to a grumpy, unhappy daughter. All she does is cry. She feels my pain too! Once, she was ill and I remember going to help her clean the office very early because it was not even allowed, she had to do her job alive or dying and when one of her colleagues saw me, she boldly said ‘cancer was on its way’. I don’t have cancer and I reject that for me and my household. But that was not the worst, her comment was even mild.

At the time, I was usually home with my younger ones while I was waiting to get into the university but to these children, I became the ultimate beast. I will snap, yell, and scare them away because of anger. The slightest provocation will get me riled up. There were days, I acted like the devil. I was the devil!

All these things were aggression at my skin. People were not conscious of my pain and will pass mean comments that pierced me so bad. There are people that will outrightly tell you, you are dirty. I got a lot of suggestions. I was told to save my morning urine, wash my face with half and drink the other half. You think that is bad? I was also told to use my menstrual blood on my face. But the worse came when a former friend offered to help; she was so optimistic and I thought she was going to come up with a solution of how to afford a dermatologist. What she did was take me to? A spiritualist! A Hausa Spiritualist! She was certain it was spiritual attack on my skin. Mr. spiritualist mixes different concoctions and he was even offering to give me a bottle of drink that will attract rich men to me.

I have never felt the way I did on that day. People have suggested really extreme measures for me to clear my skin but nobody has gone that far.

My mum will budget for school fees and also for hospitals, where all I do is get tube creams from doctors – tubes that will make me fair and even project my bad skin the more.

I got admitted to the university and things are worse. I am doing well, but it is a society of young people that will put you down without a thought. I can’t even mention a single friend right now. I chose to be alone because I have endured preferential treatment from strangers. If a stranger is talking to a friend and they don’t like you, they will outrightly show you.

People have been so mean. They don’t hide their disgust or their opinion. To be treated like a lesser human because of my bad skin, makes me think of how people with extreme physical challenge survive daily.

My skin looks like it lacks life. You can’t even see the skin, everything on my face is patches, spots and boils. Nobody wants to associate with such! I have no idea what confidence or self-esteem is anymore.

I considered attaching a picture of my face but I couldn’t. I have not taken a picture in more than four years and the first thing I thought of when I decided to share this was to take a picture and post but the fear is overwhelming. I want to lay my heart out!

I just want to say, we need to be more kind. We need to be more watchful of what we say. When you see someone dealing with bad skin, it is not like they are not dealing with their own internal struggle. Please do not complicate it. If you have to pretend you are nice, please do it. The only reason I attend school is because I need to fight for my mother. If classmates need help, they will say ‘meet the girl with goosebumps on her face’. What do people do that for? Why?!

Photo Credit: Yunuli123 | Dreamstime.com

1. Eii

April 11, 2017 at 6:31 pm

I pray you excel in all of your heart’s desires and build up your self esteem. Please, remember to be yourself for this is inner beauty which shines through and can never be hiden. Looking forward, to reading of your achievements on BN soon. Stay beautiful.

2. Me

April 11, 2017 at 6:36 pm

I feel your pain and I can only imagine how hard this must be for you. I also suffer from a very bad skin. I have suffered from acne since age 9/10 till my early adult years. I am 22 now and do not particularly suffer from acne anymore, but I still have my acne scars to remind me of the emotional distress I have endured almost all my life. I also had a very low self esteem and become really withdrawn due to how badly I was treated because of my acne. The best advice I can give to you is that you need to be patient. Realistically, do not expect your skin to become clear in a few weeks or even a few months. It will take some time and effort and that’s where your patience comes in. You also need to build your self esteem. Confidence is attractive, but also intimidating. If you are not confident in yourself despite your bad skin, people will continue to taunt and try to bring you down. I am not a dermatologist so I am not in the best position to recommend products to you. However, I currently use Proactive and my skin seems to be looking better. Love yourself and work on your self esteem, this phase will pass.

3. Tosin

April 11, 2017 at 6:48 pm

I also suffers from skin problem. If I may ask, has your dermatologist treated you for acne. If you know anyone in abroad, can I suggest you ask to help you buy benzylperoxide and glycolic acid and vitamin c serum. It works wonders.. they worth trying. You can be assured to get the original on amazon website.. pls read reviews. Goodluck!

• dee

April 12, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Yes they really do work, you should be able to get the benzol peroxide, 5% is the recommended high strength dosage, at a cheaper rate at bulk pharmacies on lagos island (tom jones area of tinubu) gylcolic acid might be a bit pricey for you since you are a student, you could try salicylic acid face wash, neutrogena has lots of that and it’s an affordable brand. they also have a vitamin c range, neutrogena rapid tone repair
      in all products you could try should include benzol peroxide(preferably a gel oitment) and any of these
      glycolic acid
      salicylic acid
      AHA (alpha hydroxy acid)
      retinol
      vitamin c (cream)
      they will help with the acne as well as help you shed the dry skin you will have as an initial reaction to the benzoyl peroxide vitamin c will help even out your skin tone over time
      remember it might take a couple of months for you to see the result of the benzoyl peroxide treatment, and the skin peeling side effect can be a bit traumatic for some but it gets the job done.
      hope it helps

4. IOU

April 11, 2017 at 7:21 pm

I also have a personal story to share, I know what it means to deal with skin issues, it can be traumatic. When I was in school I was also told to use urine to wash my face, I was so desperate that I did . At a point I told God to help me to be beautiful inside ( ah! Since the outward was not conforming) and God did it for me. I became so attractive to the opposite sex. I met the love of my life when my face was at it’s worst, he was all over me and continues to be crazy over after almost 15 years of a blissful marriage. I like the comment you made that you will fight. I will advice you to just make a decision that you will not let this skin condition control your thoughts. When people make all these terrible comments just tell yourself that they are drinking Panadol for you. It’s going to be a big fight but if you keep at it, eventually you will think less of it and it won’t control you. I will categorically tell you that people are truly attracted to the heart, make it a point of duty to be happy, sweet, optimistic despite the outward. Make your inside beautiful and people will be drawn to you male and female alike. My dear this life is a fight. We fight to maintain our peace , we fight to maintain our joy, we fight to maintain our self esteem. Keep fighting girl ok ? And one day you will have the resources to see the best doctors in the world to get the best care and get this sorted out but in the mean time keep fighting.

5. Nelo

April 11, 2017 at 7:27 pm

sorry you are going through this. you may be reacting to something and only a dermatologist can tell u this. i know how you feel as i went through a bad skin condition on my face and neck from 2008-2010. i had moved to the UK for my post-grad and it just started. at first i tried to ignore the stares as i was not into make up but by the time my self-esteem took a beating, i started applying thick layers of foundation. all my clothes had to cover my neck, even in summer. in my case,, i was reacting to the water (high sodium level) and weather.

Anyway, when i moved back home, my mum was really supportive and accompanied me to various skin therapists (many of these lagos ones claiming to own spas are just clueless and thieves). My final respite came via a dermatologist in Lagos. i think the name is Pabson dermartologist, yaba. its just before you make the turning into montogomery street opposite yaba busstop. i took rounds of antibiotics and was prescribed expensive topical creams (not over the counter ones o). it took at least 6 months of patience and plenty money and the problem dissappeared.

From your post, i understand, money is a challenge. you can visit the government owned dermatologist centre in yaba as well. but i have to warn you, you will see people with all sort of skin conditions that will make you throw up. The first time i went there as a teenager with my mum for a different skin condition, i ran away when i had to give a urine sample (the toilets are atrocious too). The plus side, there are many specialists there and the cost is lower. Don’t lose hope. And stay away from these spas and skin centres promising heaven and earth. All the best.

• Ajala & Foodie

April 12, 2017 at 1:16 am

@ Nelo, on an average how much do you think your entire treatment cost with this dermatologist?

• Pii

April 12, 2017 at 8:17 am

My skin got bad when I was in the UK too Omo! My self confidence took a beating! Black soap and sea breeze face cleanser really helped my mum had to send it abroad, skin became better for a while took a beating again …. When I came back to nigeria my mom cried when she saw my face….. Over time in nigeria it cleared up! My really wish I could help

• Nelo

April 12, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Sorry, the name is Bidson not Pabson

6. Marian

April 11, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Acne sucks!!!! But You cannot continue to let it steal your joy. Simple things i did in my teen yrs when i was struggling with self confidence due to acne was focusing on other areas of my body. I wore knee length dresses a lot cuz i loved my legs, wore bright lip colors with a smile. The smile worked the most and i started to feel it on the inside. It also helped that I got to meet people who if asked would have traded their ailment for my acne.

As much as acne sucks there are worse things in the world and once i understood that i was able to be more thankful and focus more on other things.

See if you can do hormonal testing because cystic acne can sometimes be due to an hormonal imbalance and some have seen good result with using birth control pills under the guidance of a physician.

At the end of the day, people gon talk. Don’t let their mean comments stop your shine o or turn you into them. Be postive and nice to all.

You are not alone, just google cystic acne and you go see plenty pics wey go make you testify say your own no dey that level.

Check out youtube for a lot of inspirational videos from people who are going through the same or similar skin issue. Start with Adenike Akinpelu, i enjoyed her hyperpigmentation video. She still suffers from it but since she cannot come and kill herself is now learning to deal with it and keep her positive attitude.

7. Busaki

April 11, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Ignore them. And I know that is much harder than it sounds, but the only way to gain your self esteem is to stop caring about the naysayers and ignore them. They derive pleasure from your sadness, so instead of looking hurt, smile at them. Laugh if you can. Laugh at their ignorance, laugh at their stupidity, laugh for the fact that they have lost the most basic attribute of humanity: respect.. Once they see that your do not care, they will give up and mind their own useless lives. And you will regain your confidence in return.

In the meantime, stop using prescription products from the pharmacy, and never use any bleaching product. I tell you this from experience; these products will only make your acne worse. Instead, use locally harvested neem oil as a spot treatment, and shea butter as a moisturiser. These will aid in eliminating your acne. After the pimples have disappeared, use the peel from a lime (or lemon/lime essential oil if you can find it; make sure to dilute it if you choose this route) on the pigmented spots to lighten them and even your skin tone. You need patience for this, as it takes a while, but it will work in due time.

Remember this: you are in control of your destiny. Only you can dictate how to live your life. The naysayers will come and go; they will live and pass away. Know that you are authentic, and your skin, with its blemishes, is YOURS. No one can take your body away from you, so declare to yourself every day that you are real, your are genuine, and you are beautiful. And no blemish will ever take your integrity away from you. Reclaim your happiness.

8. Ada_ugo

April 11, 2017 at 8:00 pm

I’m really sorry to hear about your ordeal. My first advice to young ladies is to build that confidence from within, and not from the outside. But I would not be honest if I didn’t acknowledge that as ladies our appearance plays a significant role in our levels of confidence. I am not a healthcare specialist, but this sounds to me like a bacterial onslaught. I would recommend having a sample of the pus taken, and testing it in a lab with different antibiotics. It is possible ur acne is resistant to several antibiotics, so the advantage of this method is that the antibiotics you are not resistant to can be identified and prescribed to you. This is called an Antibiotic Susceptibility test/assay. Visit a good doctor and suggest this to them.
    I like that you are staying in school and getting that education. Don’t let your skin condition get in your way of doing ur best at school, and having fun while at it. This phase of your life will pass, and you shouldn’t let your current predicament compromise your chances at a better tomorrow. All the best!

9. Rukkah

April 11, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Hmm, I’ve been there. Tried lots of creams and after my 2nd visit to the dermatologist which made things worst, I decided to go herbal which wasn’t too expensive, I’m in Ghana and there’s a popular herbal shop in a busy suburb of Accra known as Osu,Relish company limited, my treatment lasted for 4months max and trust me God worked wonders using the herbal drugs from that herbal shop. U can check them online and I really wish u were in Ghana , I feel your pain , hmm it’s not easy but u will be fine. Plss be strong for better days are just ahead.

10. Moreen

April 11, 2017 at 9:06 pm

I can feel your pain. Visit the LUTH dermatology clinic on Harvey road, they are cheaper (1100 for 1st visit, 600 for subsequent visits) but you need a referral letter before you can be seen. I could not take pictures before but now I can ‘cos my face has cleared now

11. kachi

April 11, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Hey! I feel you. After almost 2 decades of acne i will say that you need to love yourself. We project into other peoples’ consciousness our fears, worries, confidence etc. That means that if all you think and live for is your skin that is all people will notice and see about you. Its really difficult i know but you have to find your center and channel your energies into something else.

Be kind to yourself, give your skin a break, i mean no creams, facewash etc for a while, a month maybe. This will give your face time to rest and reset.
    I’ve equally done a lot of things, still is and what might work for me mightn’t for you. If you however want to talk or know what i use or do email me at [email protected].

Let God be the center of your life and not just because you feel he holds the answer to clear skin, i mean He has already done all that he needed to do and He loves you passionately. He didn’t make a mistake with you.

Don’t expect people to treat you right when you’re not treating yourself right.

12. DocDeola

April 11, 2017 at 9:26 pm

Your skin is going to clear up. It’s difficult to give an accurate diagnosis but it could be nodule cystic acne. First thing is to visit a dermatologist. They might want to check your hormones – the three things that cause acne are hormones (androgens) overgrowth of bacteria (p.acne) and overactive sebaceous glands. For the hormones, are your periods regular, do you have excessive hair ( blood tests to do include FSH,LH, prolactin testosterone, progesterone, Sex hormone binding globulin SHBG- are you overweight; thyroid tests and other androgens) next is the bacteria, do a swab of some of the boils as well as nostril swab to confirm you are not carrying some resistant strain of bacteria, lastly do you have white heads and black heads and or oily skin.
    Treatment – it sounds severe so I feel you need oral treatment – antibiotics such as erythromycin / lymecycline/doxycycline /trimethoprim 300mg twice daily might help. Contraceptive pull such as Yasmin or dianette can help regulate periods and improve hormonal balance. Then the gold dust of drug is ROACCUTANE – it shrinks the glands of the skin and makes it less oily. You mustn’t get pregnant on this treatment and usually needs a dermatologist to start it. It clears the skin within 3-6 months. You need monthly blood tests whilst on it and may not be suitable if you are depressed as there have been people on it who have ended their lives though no direct link to the drug has been made. Take care of yourself and things will improve.

13. Dee

April 11, 2017 at 9:31 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about the pain you are feeling. Don’t worry, it is not the end of the world. Build your innerself and try to excel at your academics.
    Bidson skin centre in yaba is really good though quite expensive as well. You can save money to go see the doctor there. I know how bad skin can affect your confidence because i have ecperienced it. don’t worry it will pass by God’s grace.

14. DocDeola

April 11, 2017 at 9:39 pm

Hormones – blood tests to rule out polycystic ovaries – treat with Dianette or Yasmin
    Bacteria – take sample from boils and nose – treat erythromycin or lymecycline or doxycycline or trimethoprim
    Overactive sebaceous glands – treat with retinoids – ROACCUTANE 3-6 months with monthly blood and pregnancy test
    Use creams such as duac or treclin or epiduo plus oral treatment(s).
    N.B – you mustn’t get pregnant including a month after taking Isotretinoin/ROACCUTANE

• DocDeola

April 12, 2017 at 6:41 am

Dear Poster, I wrote a comprehensive response but this comment wasn’t posted, hence the summary above. You may need ROACCUTANE which is the oral retinoid form of adapalene,if you have cystic or scarring acne – only prescribed by a specialist. But in the mean time the antibiotics with the topical/ gels I suggested above plus or minus the hormonal control may resolve majority of the issue. These you may be able to get without prescription in Nigeria

15. funmilola

April 11, 2017 at 10:32 pm

hmmmm!
    if I say I feel your pain, I lie because our stories are different but I want you to know that you and your flaws are beautiful…. don’t give the mirror or people the chance to tell you otherwise and don’t you ever give up because of them.
    so, read the advices above especially nelo’s and act too. Shalom

16. Me

April 11, 2017 at 11:03 pm

My acne isn’t as severe but I noticed that aloe Vera (on the whole face) and tea tree oil (on the pimple and not the whole face) works for me. But I would recommend you see a dermatologist as they’ve suggested.

• kemmmie

April 12, 2017 at 1:27 am

I suffer from the worst backacne & chest acne you can think of. Its even spreading to my arms. I just stick to roundneck tops, cant remember the time I wore a lowneck or backless dress. Sometimes I worry that no guy would love & accept me because of my skin acne. The greastest gift ever is to find someone that accepts you, your flaws and loves you all the same. I have tried everything to find a cure. Dear poster, you are not alone! I have had my acne for 12 years now. I saw no results with oral medication & prescribed creams & they were all precribed to me by a doctor in the UK. Its funny that @Me mentioned Tree tea oil because it made my acne worse. Anyways, started using Black soap dudu osun & a Honey mask for some weeks now & I noticed its getting better. Got the randrluxury liquid black soap some days ago, fingers crossed because I heard lots of reviews. Additionally, I started using Apple cider vinegar as a toner and it has also helped. From my experience, I think its best to just try out organic products. I agree with the poster though that the world would a better place if people were kind to each other.

• kemmmie

April 14, 2017 at 12:23 pm

Update: I started using the @randrluxury liquid black soap for a week now……and its BAE!!!! I have definitely seen results. Check out their page on instagram. Oshey oh Jesus, Oshey oh oluwa…Clear skin here we come!!!!

17. Ajala & Foodie

April 12, 2017 at 1:12 am

I don’t know if I can be of help but I will like to know what Dermatologist you visited and what cost you were quoted. I may be able to offer help i.e by making payments to the Dr on your behalf. I just hope the Dr. is not just on the look out of their own pocket and would really help you. I had acne issues too in the past but maybe not as severe as yours. My GP however was the one that prescribed something and thankfully it worked. I did not have to see a dermatologist.

18. Lilian

April 12, 2017 at 2:39 am

Hey, I am sorry that this is happening to you. I would love to help which ever way possible. Please any one who can prescribe anything in the United States that can help her please let me know so I can buy it for her as I am traveling back to Nigeria very soon. Also I am willing to help pay with some of your dermatologist fees and I can also go with you on some appointments for moral support. I really hope you feel better

• Moi

April 12, 2017 at 4:07 am

@Lilian, I use this service called Curology. It’s an online medical service, costs $20 monthly and I’ve seen a noticeable difference in my adult acne. Check it out

• draken

April 12, 2017 at 5:45 am

@Lillian, they have just made Differin (Adapalene) gel an over the counter medicine. I used to get it prescribed by my dermatologist here in the US but since last month I’ve been able to get it thru amazon. If you provide your contact info, I could have a few shipped over to you to take to the original poster. It comes in very small tubes and you need very little. 1 tube lasts about 1.5 months and she will need about 3 or 4 for 6 months. It works wonders

19. ListenToDocDeola

April 12, 2017 at 3:23 am

Poster your issue sounds hormonal, if you’ve used antibiotics , salicylic acid, benzyl peroxide or any common/over the counter medication, your root cause is likely hormonal. If you break out mainly during ovulation and monthly period , then again it’s most likely hormonal. Birth control pills will work wonders for you. I know because I suffered the same. Birth control will make your skin worse for the first month after which it will begin to clear. You may have to try different brands though. Most importantly the ones that contain both estrogen and progesterone . If that fails ROACCUTANE as docDeola mentioned will be the next thing to look into. Very strong medication though, but it works.
    I also tried some local herbs, it worked but it was too bitter to keep up. Yoruba people call it “agunmu” . I stopped because of the bitter taste and because they couldn’t keep up with the quality, the next batch I got tasted like they mixed antibiotics with it and it wasn’t as potent as the first one. But ask for it on the streets or local markets, local herbs for pimples.
    Don’t be afraid there’s a solution, I know how it feels when you feel you’ve tried all you can.

20. Cynthia

April 12, 2017 at 4:12 am

Drink water as much as possible. Stop sugar in take for 3months and stop any medication or cream. Water will make your skin clearer, hair grow, nail and teeth shine… Early in the morning before brushing teeth drink water. Make sure 4-6Litres daily. You will come back and give testimony

21. Jean17

April 12, 2017 at 5:09 am

I know how you feel. I have a skin condition called keloid.
    My scars don’t heal properly, I have one on the spot of of my appendicitis incision. The other is on my bag, and that is the largest, and it keeps getting bigger.

Right from secondary school, I have not worn a sleeveless item of clothing, not even tank tops outside.
    I am embarrassed by it, and the question I have had to answer when people put their hand around my shoulder and feel the elevated bump is another thing. So I don’t like people touching me unexpectedly.

I have done research taken steroid injections, rubbed all kinds of concoctions, but there are no presently known cures.
    Don’t feel so bad, take the suggestions up there, you may find someone that can finally help. At least yours is curable.

• Jean17

April 12, 2017 at 5:09 am

Back*

22. CutieTaraz

April 12, 2017 at 9:04 am

Dear One,
    I really have been there!!!
    There was a time i was scared daily of touching my face cause it will come off with bumps; Aaah.. i remember one night, i was in the shower… the song came to mind… ‘after u have tried all else’, JUST STAND.
    I burst in tears and in my pain i told God to heal me and that if He did i would share my testimony at every point i had!

From that day, i stopped seeing my face n just believing; easier said but true. i went to make my nails one day and the lady there introduced a 100naira product that i cant even remember its name to me… My dear, i got home n prayed again, then used it!

From that day, it all stopped!!!. Till date i no its not the cream per say, but God.

So my advice, JUST STAND and TRUST GOD; allow Him lead u!… and all will be well…

Please be happy come what may… U CAN N WILL GET THRU THIS CAUSE THIS TOO SHALL PASS… AMEN.

23. Nnenna.S

April 12, 2017 at 10:20 am

Dear poster, I know it won’t be easy, but try not to let it steal your joy. I have had acne in the past and I know how it can make one feel less attractive. Am still on the quest for a flawless skin, but I know in the end it’s not enough to satisfy. What really matters is how you feel on the inside like others pointed out. As for a regimen, less is always more till u find what works for u. I pray u find happiness even with the imperfections. *e-hugs*

24. Bee

April 12, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Dear poster,i feel ur pain cos i went thru the exact thing ure going thru,and by the grace of God, I overcame it.So im going to be advising you based on what worked for me.Firstly,treat malaria as the malaria parasite can be toxic.Then start taking 1000mg vit c daily as this will help u get rid of toxins in your system.also one tablet of evening primrose daily and den get an oil free salicylic acid face wash(preferrably neutrogena pink grapefruit salicylic acid acne wash) and dont use any heavy creams just yet..when the acne starts to dry off and u want to get rid of the spots,the u can start using an oil free moisturizer with sun protection…i believe u will overcome this soon…just be confident and pleaseee be nice to ur family.

25. Kamer sista

April 12, 2017 at 5:09 pm

I struggled with severe acne as an young adult from 2007 to 2014.
    I was living in France over these years, and I went from dermatologist to dermatologist to no avail.

The worst part was certainly the fact that I was not able to look to myself without makeup, although the process of applying that makeup was painful both emotionally (due to the fact that I was not able to show my naked skin to anybody – including my family…I would woke up before everybody just to make sure that my face would be covered by the time the house be awake) and physically ( my skin was over sensitive, and even simple water was painful to use on my face due to the pimples and other irritations).
    Another pain was the obligation to meet with clients (I was working as an IT consultant at the time) and see in their eyes that they were wondering about my skin condition…

BUT FINALLY, in my case, YOUTUBE VIDEOS FINALLY HELPED.
    I stumbled on the video of a little (few followers) Youtuber recalling how she recovered from severe acne with a medication based on BENZOYL PEROXIDE.
    She explained (with after/before pictures) that it is the only cure that worked for her and that the idea is not to get the exact same medication as her, but any medication (cream) with the same working agent. She also said that for a strange reason, dermatologists (at least in France) don’t seem to prescribe those drugs and keep insisting to the same products (andibiotics, Sacylitic acid, etc.) – which was EXACTLY my experience with the ~4 different dermatologists (at least) I saw over these years.

The only issue now was that in France, creams based on BENZOYL PEROXIDE
    are only sold in pharmacies (it is not the case in the USA or even in the Netherlands where I currently reside) based on a formal dermatologist’s prescription…And most of the times, they hate when the patient try to inforce a specific type of medications. They will tell you that you are not a Dr.

Long story short, by the grace of God, the Dermatologist I went to at the time of my last serious acne outbreak agreed to listen to my story, and believed me when I told him that what he wanted to prescribe at 1st has not been working for me over the lasy years.

Long story short, I bought the medication containing BENZOYL PEROXIDE and 1 week later, ALL THE PIMPLES were dried and my face was not full of pimples anymore: my face had never been like that since a very long time.

It was in 2014 and ever since, I keep buying any product (cream) with BENZOYL PEROXIDE as part of my daily skincare routine.
    When I was in France, it was a cream called “Eclaran”…Like I said, prescribed by the Dr since these products are only sold over formal Derm prescrition over there; then in the USA, I easily bought other products from brands such as Neutrogena and even Acne.org as they are sold in drugstores or on the Internet…
    Now that I live in the Netherlands, I buy a cream from a Labo called “Galderma” from the drugstore…And it keeps working. This is just to show you that the brand doesn’t really matter. THE KEY POINT HERE IS TO HAVE A CREAM BASED ON BENZOYL PEROXIDE and that’s all. And the good news (as the dermatologist told me!) is that if it works for you, it will work forever as the skin cannot get used to that agent (as it is the case with other agents).

I really pray that you will be able to try such products (if you never tried them before), and that it will work for you too. And even if it is not the case, please be encouraged: there is no issue without solution and I can assure you that you will find something that will work by the grace of God (Oh I forgot to mention that I found my solution after a prayer that I made to God)…

And since then, I am enjoying the freedom of wearing makeup at ma convenience…Even the scars I I had are just a memory now…To remove them, I relied on a product called “Bio oil” and a lot of patience patience as it is definitely not a quick fix (~ 6 months to see the 1st changes in my case)…But over time, it worked.

(Please forgive my English. I am a French speaker)

26. Susan McGowan

April 12, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Email me if I can help. I will send you some basic skin care products free of charge.

27. Ibi

April 13, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Dear Poster, I totally understand you. Relax!, this too shall pass. I’m 27 and I’ve been struggling with acne on my face, back, chest and upper arms since my early teens. After almost 2 decades of managing it, I have concluded that my acne is hormonal, I have Keratosis Pilaris and most importantly, I CANNOT COME AND KILL MYSELF! I am beautiful and my acne scars DO NOT define me – I had to tell myself that and believe it. In the earlier years of my struggle while in the University, an amazing guy said to me “when I look at you, I don’t see pimples or acne or whatever you think is a big deal”. We dated for 4 years. So in essence, what is important is your disposition to what’s happening. From this post I know you are beautiful, strong and have a lovely heart – pls let the real YOU shine through. You are beautiful, I know it 🙂

28. Rofiat

May 21, 2017 at 10:29 pm

Ur own is still bêta since it has cure wat abt me Who has chicken pox in m’y face. Any cure ?

29. Folakemi

June 1, 2017 at 8:29 pm

I see cases like yours daily and I must say I understand what you are going through. I run a skincare service center and if you send me a picture I might be able to help for free. In the interim I suggest you keep a food journal for the next one month which we can review if you so desire