News

“Is it a crime to be a responsible and law abiding young guy?” – Comedian Asiri Narrates Experience with Lagos Police Officers

Asiri | Photo Credit: Instagram – @asiricomedy

In an Instagram post on Monday, comedian Asiri narrated how officers attached to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the Lagos Police Command “accosted” him and his friends “brandishing their weapons and pointing irresponsibly” at their car in the Ogba area of the state.

He said that they were delayed unnecessarily and their phones were thoroughly searched, adding that they missed an appointment as a result.

He shared the video/photos below and wrote:

I am putting this out to curtail the excesses of some irresponsible elements in our esteemed police force. Despite the immense effort of reputable men like @aleeygiwa These Lagos SARS officers with squad number 039 accosted us at Excellence hotel area Ogba at around 11:10 am. They Came from nowhere brandishing their weapons and pointing irresponsibly at our car. We were delayed unnecessarily and every of our phones were thoroughly searched and our privacies breached. I want to know since when carrying out your daily legal activities becomes a crime. And that part of the law that permits indiscriminate searching of phones. As a loyal citizen of this great nation, I demand answers. Is it a crime to be a responsible and law abiding young guy? Please repost till we get answers. And the appointment they made us miss by this delay. They will pay for it. #SayNoToOppression

Photo Credit: Instagram – @asiricomedy

1. Eii

April 24, 2017 at 6:13 pm

The SARS unit of the Nigeria Police Force again! !! SHAME.

2. Bennie

April 24, 2017 at 6:26 pm

11:30am in the morning?
    Na wah for this country o

3. Kpangba

April 24, 2017 at 9:32 pm

War is about to RISE if their case is not solved.

4. sharon

April 25, 2017 at 5:51 am

The SARS unit is becoming notorious for harassing people these days. And last time I checked, isn’t going through someone’s phone without a warrant illegal? This is MADNESS!!

5. Tumininu

April 25, 2017 at 10:21 am

Fsars are becoming notorious criminals harressing innocent Nigerians. Just last week, they delayed my colleagues for over 4hours at ibadan. Collected bribe of #30000.it is not funny at all.

6. Abby

April 25, 2017 at 2:21 pm

They once arrested me and hubby at Oyingbo, took us to their station, gave my husband a sheet of paper and pen, said “write your statement”, he asked them “about what”. The illiterate cop took the oen and said, ” no worry, I go write am for you”. My husband responded, “I can write for myself, just tell me what this is about”. He could not state out offence. They detained us both behind the counter and said that is where we will languish forever. Until we called our kind landlord, chief of Lagos state marine police at that time. He called their DPO and they let us go.
    Imagine if we didn’t know the police chief? They could have executed us sef, no one will be the wiser.
    They are dumber than Harrambo the chimp. In fact, Harrambo’s IQ beats theirs by several points.
    Another time, we went to visit our parents in Ibadan, they arrested us in Iyaganku, we had a crate of eggs in the car. The cop said identify yasef. My husband produced his work ID card, I showed him my NYSC/ Fed staff hospital VI ID card (MD). He said, ” u be dostor, if na so, me sef I be lawyer!. In fact you people resemble the robbers that have been terrorizing Ibadan”. He asked my hubby to surrender the car keys, he refused. AGAIN, we were detained. My husband’s aunt came to the station for something else and saw us behind the counter, asked what we did, he told her to f**k off. She spoke to the DPO and got us released.
    It’s sad that he cops are worse than robbers, generally low IQ angry men and sometimes women.
    I have lived in the US for several years, and got stopped only once while rushing to work. Cop was polite, asked why I was speeding, said I could have hurt someone and for that reason, he had to give me a ticket. He wrote my ticket, thanked me for my courtesy and let me go. Chikena.