BN TV

Must Watch! Episode 1 of Kemi Adetiba’s “King Women” Web Series is Here

BN TV

Yay!

Kemi Adetiba‘s “King Women“, in collaboration with Accelerate TV, is here.

“King Women” is an interview-based series by Kemi Adetiba, featuring Nigeria’s powerful women of veteran and champion status, as they tell their stories, like never heard before.

In episode 1, Taiwo Ajai-Lycett, a legendary British trained Nigerian actress, shares her story.

1. OMG

April 3, 2017 at 2:51 pm

I can completely understand why Kemi was crying, I was completely taken in by this interview and it’s such an amazing episode and an inspiring story. I love her determination to become something, to educate herself and I love that she actually became something in the end. She’s definitely a king woman.

2. Idera

April 3, 2017 at 3:10 pm

This is the beginning of an emotional series to come. I really connected with the interviewee Taiwo Ajayi-Lycett, can’t wait for the continuation. Well done Kemi!

3. Las

April 3, 2017 at 3:26 pm

She took short courses…I bet she has more ‘degrees’ than Dino

4. Mavi

April 3, 2017 at 3:26 pm

The best use of 24 minutes ever!
    I see you, Mrs Lycett. Yours is a storied and beautiful life. I couldn’t stop weeping. Strangely enough it wasn’t out of sadness but out of happiness that You created your own second chances and your successes. Your reward was that you found true LOVE.
    Thank you for your courage to share all; whether good or gritty. I can’t wait for Part 2. What a woman!

5. Busola Adedire

Busola Adedire

April 3, 2017 at 3:28 pm

I knew this woman on Tv from way back, and the first thing that struck me was her diction. Her diction was, and still is outstanding. Did she study English?

• Blackbeatle

April 3, 2017 at 10:29 pm

she went to good schools and i think lived in england and married an english man

6. Ms. Lurve

April 3, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Wow!

7. Mo81

April 3, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Truly inspirational, she is so intense, had me in tears, May God continue to strengthen you ma

8. Ms. Elejowewe

April 3, 2017 at 4:34 pm

I remember seeing the teaser of this episode a long time ago and just like now, I was moved to tears. I guess you could not summarise her story into a full episode. Well done Kemi Adetiba! Waiting patiently for Chigurl’s Episode.

Great stuff.

9. Bukky

April 3, 2017 at 4:45 pm

This is so inspiring…there’s always a second chance (and more) if we would just take it and not succumb to our circumstances

10. zeena

April 3, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Some should defne king woman or feminist, i am just being honest i want to know exactly because we learn everyday , don’t understand why women call themselves king or king woman … my dear I am a queen and that very equal to a king , I don’t want to be a king a king is not better than a queen and a queen is not better than a king , we have our unique features that can’t be overthrown … If notthing queen is more because of what we go through having kids … I don’t want to compare my self to a man to make me and the world know I can do what he can , we are much more why be like thme , I am unique as I am a woman

• Sugamama

April 3, 2017 at 7:10 pm

I think you’re taking it a bit too literally and too personal. It’s more of an expression just to show these women dominating in life regardless of their circumstances. Kemi Adetiba can probably explain better, but I don’t think the expression is to compare women to men or even say one is better than the other. I believe the series is just highlighting the awesomeness of women regardless of men (i.e. not “women are better than men”, but “women are awesome. period”).
      Feminist, (you can google it, but I did that for you), here’s the definition of feminism “the advocacy of women’s rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.” To fully understand that, read up on women’s history.

• tunmi

April 3, 2017 at 7:31 pm

I get what you’re saying, and it’s important to have these conversations. I would have just preferred the title “Kings” or “King: Women”. I haven’t figured out the words to why just yet.

But let’s be honest. A queen is not equal to a king. Based on how we have defined queens, a queen is the wife of a king. They do not have the same responsibilities or the same power.

But we should be able to define ourselves as we want without people telling us “you should not call yourself that” whether directly or indirectly.

Ok, so I figured it out. I like the title of King because of the power associated with it. Queen is not as attractive to me because the position of a queen kinda doesn’t exist without a king. But that of a king exists even without a queen.

• Sugamama

April 3, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Funny, I had the same thoughts about why a Queen just being the wife of a King and not necessarily as important, but see Queen Elizabeth. You can’t argue with that.
      Also in the game of chess (which I don’t play), isn’t the queen just as (if not more) important as the king?

Anyways, as you said, we should be able to define ourselves as we want.

• Engoz

April 3, 2017 at 9:32 pm

A queen means a female ruler or the wife of a king. It has as much weight. We have Queen Amina of Zaria, Queen Elizabeth. Queen would have been appropriate for this show and would have carried as much weight. But Adetiba may have her own reasons. This is not to take away from the brilliant work Kemi Adetiba is doing. Totally enjoyed watching the great woman Taiwo Ajai Lycett.

• Deb

April 3, 2017 at 9:54 pm

A queen is by a virtue of being the wife of a king. A king is in control,rules and well revered. They are powerful and rule for long. Women are not popular to be kings and in reality king and queen are not words and opposite. Nowadays women are taking up roles responsibilities and positions some men would dare not take, hence king woman. I’m a king woman.

• Engoz

April 4, 2017 at 1:29 am

Jeez a queen is also a Female ruler not only wife. A woman who rules a monarch is a queen. One dictionary meaning is- the female ruler of an independent state, especially one who inherits the position by right of birth. With English language, a word can have different meanings. Here are some of the English definition of queen.

Noun Edit
      queen (plural queens)

A female monarch. Example: Queen Victoria.
      The wife or widow of a king.
      Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother
      (chess) The most powerful piece, able to move any number of spaces horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.
      (card games) A playing card with the letter “Q” and the image of a queen on it, the twelfth card in a given suit.
      A powerful or forceful female person.

From google- ‘The wife of a king is a Queen consort and does take the title Queen although she does not rule as the monarch.’ The husband of a queen is known as a Prince consort and does not become King.

11. Cocoa

April 3, 2017 at 4:49 pm

This ending really opened my eyes….there’s a man that will uplift you…see the light in you and urge you to share it with the world..in his eyes you will see your beauty….CHERISH HIM.

• funmilola

April 3, 2017 at 11:17 pm

Amen!✋

12. Adunnie

April 3, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Kemi Adetiba, I love you. Thank you for bringing this idea to life.
    Mrs Lycett your story is inspiring. I didn’t want the video to end. You are a phenomenal woman. I can’t wait to watch the concluding episode and other episodes too.

13. adannem

April 3, 2017 at 5:54 pm

Bringing untold inspiring stories to light.. Keep it up! These are the stories that we should share, retweet etc so we can uplift ourselves and give young women and girls hope that they can achieve anything they set their minds to.

14. Que

April 3, 2017 at 5:57 pm

So deep. Got me covered in goosebumps .

15. jinkelele

April 3, 2017 at 7:13 pm

When she started that dirge…I had a feeling she was talking about her own husband.
    Love this series
    Beautiful interview
    Love the way the story unfolded
    Really don’t care what the name of the series

16. tunmi

April 3, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Kemi, that music in the background that is not interfering. That sound quality…I twale for you!!!

17. tunmi

April 3, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Best part out of many:

I don’t believe in luck, for instance.
    I believe you make your luck.
    You make your own way
    You create your own fortune (not money), your own path
    You take your own journey
    Nobody is going to do it for you / lead you anywhere…not because they don’t love you
    But because they have their own lives to lead and to live

18. Zeena

April 3, 2017 at 10:58 pm

So you all know , I know Kemi way way back before she started her company with femi before its was dissolved and I appreciate her work
    A queen doesn’t need a king ,the queen has power , the queen has authority, a queen is a ruler , a queen place is backed with authorized as much as king e.g queen Elizabeth
    You are a female or male , occupy your position , utilized it to full potential
    When we keeping going on and on king woman thingy ,
    That’s how transgender started , gay etc by the way I don’t have problem of what you choose to be … There is nothing like king woman in the dictionary , I don’t need a mans position or title to feel better or superior … I am woman and a queen all by myself with or with out a man or king

19. Cynthia

April 4, 2017 at 12:47 pm

Wow…….this is an eye opener for me, the thing I’m taking away from this is “take ownership of your life’s journey” and “constantly look for substance in life”.

20. Ada_ugo

April 4, 2017 at 1:26 pm

what i take from this is to be multi-dimensional; try your hands at a bit of everything – you never know which you’ll come out being very good in. I learnt this principle only in the last few years, and have been trying to practice it as best I can. When I was younger, the Nigerian environment taught me that I needed to focus, like really FOCUS my attention on achieving my chosen career/profession, so I didn’t learn so many other amazing things that I could have. In secondary school because I saw them only as appendages/distractions, I dropped out on things like Shorthand, French, Fine Art, Music… so many amazing things that I keep regretting, all because I felt I needed to focus. Anyway, I’m playing catch up now, but my point is humans are multi-dimensional, and we shouldn’t find one interest and stick to it alone, because our destinies might be tied to something(s) else.

Busola Adedire

April 4, 2017 at 2:26 pm

you are on 100!

21. o

April 5, 2017 at 9:37 am

Wiping away tears from my eyes……

22. Serene

April 5, 2017 at 11:30 pm

Lawd! There are supportive men out there. Amen

23. Hmmm

April 5, 2017 at 11:50 pm

Why didnt any one warn that there was a concluding episode! Should have waited to watch both episode, now looking forward to next week…