Relationships

“Pick your battles…do not fret and fight over everything” – Ariyike Akinbobola shares Marriage Nuggets ahead of her 10th Anniversary

Media personality Ariyike Akinbobola and her husband Siji are celebrating their 10th wedding anniversary in a couple of days and to mark the special occasion, the mum-of-three has been dropping marriage tips and nuggets on her Instagram page.

In the first post, she wrote:

Counting down to our 10 years wedding anniversary and instead of writing a long epistle on that day, I’ll just start by dropping some nuggets here before our big day.

#1 Never look at marriage the way you see it on social media because everyone’s marriage is different. I laugh so hard when I see those relationship goals hash tags because you don’t know what kind of “anointing” you’re tapping into. No matter how rosey/ thorny someone else’s marriage looks, you can NEVER know their gist unless you’re a party to that marriage so it’s always better to face ya front and work on your own relationship/ marriage.

#2. Your spouse may do something trivial to you and you might just make a mistake of telling the wrong person who will blow it out of proportion and make you see the issue in a non-issue so you need to be mindful of who you discuss your marriage with. The truth is that some of the People you call your friends (married/single) are not happy you are married. Don’t ask me why because I still don’t know why!

Most divorces occur because 3rd and 4th parties have interfered into the marriage. (Please if it is DV, I’m in support of you RUNNING for your dear life). Once you understand the fact that even if you decide to live with your friends for the rest of your life, there will always be good and bad days. You will fight! Laugh! Play! Pray! Party and do all kinds of things together and you should also see marriage like that – You and your spouse are from 2 different backgrounds and you have decided to come together as 1 to co-exist, of course you will argue, of course you will laugh so yes there will be good days and definitely bad days. MARRIAGE IS NOT JUST ONE WAY, IT IS NOT ALWAYS A BED OF ROSES, NEITHER IS IT ALWAYS A BED OF THORNS. IT IS A COMBINATION OF DIFFERENT LAID OUT FLOWERS AND THORNS THAT ONE OR BOTH OF YOU CAN ALWAYS CHOOSE FROM.

Tomorrow, we continue… #10yearsanniversarysooncome #Marriage#Marriage101 #Hardwork #Godisinvolved#Akinbobolasat10 #Akinbobolas@10 #Littleme #Motherof3 #Relationshipgoals#Relationshipgoalsnawash#Weddinganniversary

In another post, she wrote:

Counting down to our 10th wedding anniversary…So yesterday, I said I would be dropping some marriage nuggets.

Today’s nugget is: PICK YOUR BATTLES – DO NOT FRET AND FIGHT OVER EVERYTHING. The first few years of marriage are the ones where you and your spouse are just getting to know one another so it’s important to know that your spouse will do stuff that you might not understand.

If you see that you’re fighting over unimportant stuff like “Why did you leave your towel on the bed after dressing up?” (which I think a lot of guys do) then you need to chill on that. There will be days he will remember to hang his towel properly and on the days he doesn’t remember, you can actually help him. When you start having kids, you will realize that you need your energy for important stuff like looking after the kids so try not to fight about unimportant stuff. Not everything is worth getting angry over. Sometimes, just laugh it off or roll your eyes (the way I did in my picture) and keep it moving. Why fight constantly when the benefits of Peace in the home are priceless. You get? #Weddinganniversary #TheAkinbobolas #Akinbobolasat10 #Family #Pickyourbattles #Marriage #Hardwork

Photo Credit: Instagram – @ladyariyike

1. Rose

April 6, 2017 at 8:23 am

Bravo!

2. i love my husband

April 6, 2017 at 8:52 am

I’ve been married 5 years ..and those nuggets she wrote up there are very TRUE. Most people have unrealistic expectations of marriage, marriage is a bed of roses some days and its a valley of thorns some days, but you work through it and go through it together. I learnt the importance of not fighting over everything in my first 2 years. Why fight and fight when the benefits of peace are priceless, we are past that stage now, we hardly fight and when we fight, somone apologises and we move on quickly. Marriage is sweet but to get the sweetness, you gast to work it mehn…especially when kids happen…LOL

3. Madman

April 6, 2017 at 9:26 am

Marriage advice is the only thing Nigerian women can share. NEVER SHARING about about how they made their millions and billions. Always man matter.

• moi

April 6, 2017 at 9:50 am

lol!… no vex….e ma binu

• Yo madman!

April 6, 2017 at 10:27 am

Linda Ikeji does. so are you gon start blogging now?

• madman

April 6, 2017 at 3:03 pm

But Linda made her money from bullying other people, destroying reputations, stealing content, and politicians. Please hit me with better news.

• RIFF RAFF

April 6, 2017 at 10:39 am

ha ha ha ha ha ha; Pertinent though….and we still read/hear about marital woes.

• True!

April 6, 2017 at 11:53 am

I was just thinking the exact same thing this morning. I love when people share their career success stories because it explains the process they went through. Success is like an ice berg. The tears, disappointments, rejections, failures, self-doubt etc. are the bigger portion of the iceberg hidden under the water………..people don’t get to see that. That’s why I really appreciate when people share the process leading to their success. It’s good to hear about marriage….but not every time. I really want to hear women share their career success stories too. I’ll be following Kemi Adetiba’s King Woman series. I hope she delved into this aspect. I wish people open up more about how they make it. It will help a lot of young impressionable adults understand that success doesn’t appear overnight. It will remind them that those failures, hard work, sacrifices etc. are completely normal and should be expected. There is a learning process which you have to appreciate and respect. You don’t have to cut corners or envy people whose source of sudden wealth is very questionable.

4. SoniaPaloma

April 6, 2017 at 10:13 am

Please, can people start sharing how they made money in full details like they do with marriage talk?

• LemmeRant

April 6, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Marriage is how they made their money.

• Idomagirl

April 7, 2017 at 2:58 am

???

5. Sel

April 6, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Great tips! They look doable but not easy to do.

6. blackbeatle

April 6, 2017 at 1:02 pm

these nuggets are from a place of wisdom..happy anniversary ariyike ..

7. Idomagirl