BN TV

“The culture of hardwork and responsibility is what helped me get here” – Jude Okonkwo who Gained Admission into all Ivy League Schools | WATCH

The Nigerian teenager, Jude Okonkwo who gained admission into all 8 Ivy League schools (Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton UniversityUniversity of Pennsylvania and Yale University) has disclosed that the culture of hard work and responsibility imbibed in him by his high school was what gave him the opportunity.

The Chaminade High School senior explained how he found out about his acceptance into all 8 schools and his reaction afterwards

The 17-year old who plays the piano and sings in his church choir is the president of his school’s glee club, as well as the editor of the school’s newspaper. He is also on the school’s track team.

Jude, whose goal is to become a neurosurgeon said: “Right now, I’m leaning towards Harvard, because I applied there on early action and I’ve had a chance to kind of engage with the community and get a sense of what the school is all about. But I’m still very much open to the other schools and I want to learn more about them.”

Watch the video:

1. rain

April 10, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Greta young man…..your tomorrow is brighter.

2. toyin

April 10, 2017 at 3:33 pm

congratulations

3. Dora

April 10, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Bravo my brother. Making Ibos proud!

4. john

April 10, 2017 at 4:40 pm

congrats man?????

5. Slimjude

April 10, 2017 at 5:12 pm

But let me ask…there must something about the Igbos.
    Obinna Igbokwe, Harold Eke (class of 2015)- IGBO;
    Augusta Uwamanzu-Nna (class of 2016)- IGBO;
    Ifeoma White-Thorpe (class of 2017)- IGBO;
    Now, this guy Jude Okonkwo (class of 2018)- IGBO!.
    All these people have an Igbo(id) gene (“blood”) in them..even
    the American (academic) institutions are taking notice of that.
    Fellow Nigerians, what really is responsible for the above- at
    least so others can emulate and replicate.
    I ask this in all innocence#AllLoveNoHate.

• You ain't slick

April 10, 2017 at 6:38 pm

@slimjude
      You ask in innocence huh? Lol
      Your motives are very clear. You just want to prove Igbos are the smartest and have special IQ than any tribe in Nigeria particularly Yorubas since y’all are in competition. It’s no brainer, work your ass off than anyone else, and you will get to the top. This applies to every group including the Chinese who are claimed to have the highest IQ.

Always find a way to blow y’all trumpet.
      I heard my dad’s friend(an Igbo man) say he pushes his children harder in academics because he wants to show that Igbos are the smartest and can be academically successful. Beat out yorubas( who once hold the title in academics)
      His two children are medical doctors Ivy League graduates, another one is a petroleum engineer, and the youngest one is currently at Columbia for his MBA. Proud father. Igbos have the mindset of y’all try to kill us but we coming stronger.

It’s sad though how division is imbedded in Africans. This is the reason Africa just can’t get their shit together. Americans notice it too? Bullshit. Of course, they notice how divided Nigerians are.
      A European is excelling in an area, American says hey come over here, let’s work together because at the end of the day they are both white. They work to advance their own people.

• Jade Edo babe

April 10, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Na wa o, you don start again. Which kin replicate? Other tribes are already excelling in their own way.
      Igbo people like to show off now, we won’t hear word. Bia, put me for TV, intanet. Make my enemies see me well.
      This other urhobo kid at my aunt’s church got accepted to all 8 Ivy leagues too. His mom gave testimony at church, brought the admission letters to show us. I even teased him that abeg he’s too shy and humble. If it’s me d whole world must hear.
      And this Muslim Yoruba guy got accepted to all 8 Ivy Leagues at 16, that was about 6yrs ago before it became a trend to announce. He chose harvard, graduated and works for a top law firm in NY now.

• Slimjude

April 10, 2017 at 9:34 pm

My dear, you sounded so witless with your response; so if I were to believe you: it means Jude Okonkwo had asked (even) BellaNaija (aint talking the int’l media yet) to broadcast his feat herein?{BN please, you may help us clarify]. Again, you are here making BASELESS REFERENCES WITHOUT “PROOFS” (which virtually any Tom, Dick & Harry with a keyboard+internet access can do). Please, HOW THEN DO WE BELIEVE YOU???: “‘this
      other Urhobo guy’, ‘that other Muslim Yoruba guy'”, bla bla- DONT THEY HAVE NAMES???
      Please, appreciate GOOD/GREAT in others when you see one; try speak like someone enlightened- even if you aint, PLEASE just try.
      Besides, my point wasn’t even just about Jude’s performance ‘this’ year; if you’re [email protected], you would have fathomed the emphasis was on the RECURRENCE of these over the past several years listed, not merely Jude Okonkwo’s own one-off feat this year.
      Word of Advice: try understand comprehensions, let them sink in, then you can make better,informed judgements/pronouncements. Yet again, it doesn’t hurt to really acknowledge the Igbos are truly, naturally intelligent; admitting that doesnt make you smaller in any way: for INT’L PROOFS: check all the Ivy League admissions in The US over the past decade; for DOMESTIC PROOFS: the WAEC SSCE,GCE Results over the past decade aint far-fetched either.
      By the way, I need not be ‘Igbo’ to make these facts known; every tribe/ethnic group is blessed in its own unique way. Appreciating our varying gifts doesnt diminish us in any way.
      #JustSaying.
      #AllLoveNoHate!.

• SmartDon

April 10, 2017 at 9:48 pm

This Urhobo guy, that Yoroba guy..lol
      What are the names??

• Slimjude

April 10, 2017 at 9:59 pm

My dear Edo babe, unfortunately you made “0” sense.
      1) You made baseless references without proofs (names)-virtually anyone wt a keyboard+internet access could do that;
      2) The emphasis wasnt just on Jude Okonkwo’s one-off feat “THIS” year, but on the repetitive performances of Nigerian scholars of Igbo extraction in The US over the past 7,8 years;
      3) You’ll do better by admitting the gifts of the Igbos; while (I’m) acknowledging we’re all blessed in our own varying ways. Every tribe has their own strengths no doubt, so admitting the Igbos’ natural intelligence doesnt diminish you(rs) in even the most minute way.
      Mine was a very simple writing; I expected you to readily fathom it without the needless, defensive references you started coming up with.
      Besides, I need not be Igbo to have written this, cos it doesnt diminish me/my own tribe in any way. Ciaoo..
      #JustSayingTho; #AllLoveNoHate.

• Jade Edo babe

April 11, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Slimjude
      Hahaha, you think I be mumu like you. Your motive is very negative, divisive and it’s glaring. I’m not here for it.
      You can admire your own people, no need to put others down especially in an area like academics. Of course, Igbo people are talented, smart, intelligent. But when it comes to academic success, I believe it’s just a Nigerian thing. I will give Igbo people credit when it comes to business, they are hustlers. They can sell anything.

Nigerian in abroad doing big things, go getters, making a difference it’s been all tribes. From the first black woman at Harvard law review, to the doctor that discovered CTE in nfl players to the successful business naija man Trump picked as adviser
      So if an Igbo man find cure to cancer or AIDS, with your superiority mindset the rest of us are nothing.
      Oyibo person from America is excelling in an area, all the oyibos will unite. Chinese excel in math, science but they don’t go around saying they are better than Japanese, they are both making Asia better. Chai, Africa has division in their blood

• Chioma

April 11, 2017 at 12:18 am

Slimjude your comment is not innocent at all. As much as I admire Igbo excellence, and I’m a proud Igbo woman, let’s not turn this into tribal division. We Igbos have a drive in us to excel above everything. I know how my dad always told stories of how we were denied education, equal opportunities. So now is the time to show what Igbos are capable of doing. He mentioned how Yorubas are known for their academics, let’s be known too. So, I’m not surprise at the high academic achievements I see among my people especially Igbo women.
      I’m married to a Yoruba man, and when I say his family don’t play with education and they attend ivy leagues like going to the mall. My father in law is Yale alumnae. Very humble family too.
      No tribe is better, we all have the same brain and are capable of the same achievement if the right opportunity comes our way.
      And if you work your butt off.

Jade Edo babe leave my people alone jor. Showing off is in our DNA lol.

• Nuna

April 11, 2017 at 8:43 am

What is this again naa?

• Jade Edo babe

April 11, 2017 at 1:14 pm

Everything is not about competition.
      Congrats to the young man, keep it moving. If Africans are in the upper power like oyibos. We would have destroyed ourselves finish. We are not even anywhere look at the comparison, competition, envy, hatred

• Sade

April 11, 2017 at 4:08 pm

I knew this will turn into tribal discussion. Anyway, Brother Jude, we have heard you. We Yorubas and others will replicate and emulate from ibos. So we can get into 8 Ivy League schools too.
      Shout out to this young man, keep shinning. This is just the beginning.

6. Anne

April 10, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Smart answer.

7. blackbeatle

April 10, 2017 at 10:23 pm

tribe is a what is causing problems in this country ..why is there silence and no claim of ownership when its a case of fraud or execution for drug trafficking in indonesia….look.. the enabling environment of a child determines what the child may achieve so it is not his ancestors that made him …and sad that this hailing comes from educated people who should know better

8. Stanley

April 10, 2017 at 11:05 pm

Proudly Igbo!
    Btw, @blackbeatle, last I checked its not ONLY Igbos that are in The US; this trend has continued since about 2010/11.. You can see the references from Slimjude above with which you can make further checks/verifications. So why are other tribal/ethnic groups missing in that record? or Are the Igbos the exclusive ones being bred in The US “environment”?

9. Slimjude

April 11, 2017 at 7:23 am

@Bellanaija, you/your team can be soo insecure.
    Where is the response I have been sending @Jade The Edo Babe since last night; you chose not to publish them? So petty! Hence, you’re here, and Linda is there!!
    Next please..Congrats again, Jude Okonkwo!