News

Nigerian Teen Gains Admission Into All 8 Ivy League Schools

BellaNaija.com

Jude Okonkwo, Chaminade High School senior has been accepted into all 8 Ivy League schools – Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, The University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, and Yale University.

Okonkwo who is the son of Nigerian immigrants, is the President of the school’s newspaper and plays the piano and clarinet, says he wants to pursue a degree in medicine.

“It’s a tremendous honor to gain acceptance to all eight Ivy League schools. It’s something I never could have imagined. Tragedies occur in everyday life, and I want to be someone who can help a person and their family heal in their times of need,” he said.

Having had to moved to New Orleans, Okonkwo was 6 years of age when Hurrican Katrina made landfall on the Louisiana coast and devastated the region. Recalling the experience, he said:

Hospitals were severely impacted by the storm while so many people needed so much help. It motivated me to serve as a summer lifeguard for the disabled after we moved to New York. My parents enrolled me in swimming lessons after seeing the powerful flood waters Katrina brought ashore, and I realized I could use swimming to help people. My Chaminade experience has offered me opportunities in leadership that were integral in preparation for college and the entry process. Most importantly, the Catholic formation I received here allowed me the chance to grow in to a complete man, and grow closer to God.

Thomas Cleary, President of Chimanade High School had this to say about Okonkwo:

Jude is a model Chaminade Man – a man who does the right thing at the right time because it’s the right thing to do, regardless of who is watching. We cannot wait to see the incredible things Jude will continue to do with his life. He has already stunned us with his remarkable talent and compassion for his fellow man. Our Chaminade Family will remain with him every step of the way.

Congratulations Jude!

1. BJ

April 8, 2017 at 4:31 am

Go Nigerians!!! We are taking over the world

2. Me

April 8, 2017 at 5:04 am

Story .

(No offense intended :-).

I wish.

Very well done to this lovely young man.

• Shine on, you crazy diamond

April 8, 2017 at 9:20 am

@Me
      I share your frustration and I’m sometimes tempted to start pulling out the hairs on my head. (Sadly, most of that hair is long gone….. I’m now in my sixties) But I know that things must change someday. Maybe not in our generation, but that change shall surely come. My hope is that the generation after ours would have less patience and would develop zero tolerance for the Dinos of their time.

3. anon

April 8, 2017 at 5:23 am

what makes him a Nigerian? This is a hrdworking and blessed American child that has taken advantage of an existing American educational system. Do you people know the UN ranks us last in education? Maybe we;ve improved and we’re in the last 10. The Nigerian state has done NOTHING for him and chances are he wouldn’t have gotten into even 1 if he stayed in Nigeria. You want to know what happens to the average Nigerian child? Check out Queens College or children who get raped and no justice comes to them. Or the girls who are married at 9 or have their clits cut off. Or the ones who cant even go to school at all because daddy died and relatives took over his property. He’s not a Nigerian. If we cant put in the work then we cant share in the shine

• A Real Nigerian

April 8, 2017 at 9:45 am

Underrated comment

4. Bruness

April 8, 2017 at 5:24 am

#tap #tap #tap

5. Yes Lord!!

April 8, 2017 at 5:58 am

Yayyyy!! Thank God for Jude!! Bless him oh Lord!!

Haters, keep hating. Na una sabi!

6. Remetowa

April 8, 2017 at 8:20 am

My dear bro/sis “living in the abroad ” this is exactly the kind of news I’ll always like to hear/read, not news of drug peddling, murder, rape, suicide etc. please make Nigeria great again in the eyes of the westerners thanks…

7. Spunky

April 8, 2017 at 8:59 am

These ones give us hope. We are on our way…we will get there someday. Well done Jude.

8. Nk

April 8, 2017 at 11:59 am

Born and raised in the USA! Nothing makes him a Nigerian apart from having Nigerian parents! He has not for one day passed through any of Nigeria’s educational system and thus should be compared to his peers in the USA. It is totally different when a student who started his academic pursuits here in Nija, goes abroad and triumphs, now that is worth my exaltation. Anyway, Good luck to the young man.

9. OA

April 8, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Born and raised in the US or not, he is of Nigerian descent and when he lands in Harvard or whatever school he chooses, one look at his name will make him “Nigerian” in the eyes of all his professors, administrators, fellow students, etc. and he will be treated as a foreigner even though he was born in a hospital in their backyard. Been there; done that. When we raise our children in America, we don’t hesitate to remind them of their origins, that their last name is not Wilson or Owen. We remind them that they have to work twice as hard because of their color and their last name (in some cases first name kpa-kpa — like me with kids with some extra-long first names that you can use to tell a ten-page story just by mentioning the name…LOL!).

When I attended law school, I was flabbergasted by the treatment from fellow students and some professors! Talk about alienation! It was very hard for me to grasp oh! That is why I am still so close to those who saw beyond my color and name.

10. OA

April 8, 2017 at 1:43 pm

@BN, make sure you publish this post oh!

11. Ego

April 8, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Bellanaija, please post my comment . It’s very rude not to especially after I called you out on your grammatical errors.